PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh.....Scotch

tannat
2nd November 2010, 17:39
Received the incredibly kind and generous gift of a bottle of Balvenie's Doublewood 12 year from my brother in law. Perhaps not my top pick for Scotch, but it is a very fine one.

So what's your favorite Scotch?

I prefer Island malts-Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Talisker :up: :beer:

555-04Q2
2nd November 2010, 18:03
I love a Bells. Two tots with 3 blocks of ice. Nothing beats it.

Also like my beer (Millers to be precise) but beer tends to make you bloated after a while.

Easy Drifter
2nd November 2010, 20:10
I like almost all single malts but prefer an Islay.
However the price in Ont. is so high I very rarely drink one now. So mostly Grants blended. The single malts start in the mid $40 range and go up to well over $100 for a 26er. Even Grants is about $25.
They only way to drink a single malt is straight up.
With a blend maybe water or an Ice cube or even possibly soda water. Anybody wants ginger ale or worse, coke, they get rye.

tannat
2nd November 2010, 20:21
I've never understood the concept of diluting scotch down further than it already is.

Indeed-straight up is the only way to go :up:

GridGirl
2nd November 2010, 20:48
I don't claim to be a great Whisky expert but I do love a good distillery tour when I visit Scotland. OK, if you've been on one, you've been on them all but I do like the tasteing bits at the end.

A favourite of mine has to be a Dewars 10 year blend when I went there but I thought their single malt was pretty aweful. I also really enjoyedthe Famous Grouse tour at the Glenturret distillery, particually the BAFTA winning 3D video thing.

GridGirl
2nd November 2010, 20:51
I've never understood the concept of diluting scotch down further than it already is.

Drinking with water is supposed to bring out the flavours. Hense, why most decent whisku gift sets also coming with a water jug. :)

driveace
2nd November 2010, 21:24
About 15 years ago i taught a lady to drive,as is my profession,as a present she gave my a bottle of Whisky which they had posessed for a number of years.Now this is no normal bottle of whisky ,as she rung me about 2 years ago and asked if i still had the bottle complete with the box.,as she has just been told because of its rareness it could be worth around £1000.It is called The "Royal Household" Scotch Whisky.

distilled,blended,and bottled by James Buchanan& company Ltd
Who has ever seen one of these?
Its in a Royal Blue box,and 40%vol
anyone know about this Whisky?

Hazell B
2nd November 2010, 21:43
Some people get whiskey ... I got given some homemade lime marmalade the other day. Then a bag of tomatoes and a bucket for potatoes :mark:

Luckily, I don't drink :p :

555-04Q2
3rd November 2010, 05:11
I've never tried Millers, but I hope it tastes nothing like Coors. Are they considered beer or lager, thats another question?

Millers is the only decent beer the Yanks make. It is a draft beer and is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Problem is it still bloats ya belly :eek:

harvick#1
3rd November 2010, 05:13
Miller is nasty, if you want good american beer. try Sam Adams or 312.

but I'm a Jameson and Crown Royal guy, I own the finer whiskies from them and are all good.

I also prefer Chivas 12, very good scotch

555-04Q2
3rd November 2010, 05:16
Apart from two tots of proper whiskey.. :p

I've never tried Millers, but I hope it tastes nothing like Coors. Are they considered beer or lager, thats another question?

For me as far as cheap whiskey goes it has to be J&B, but around christmas time I enjoy a glass of Macallen. Penderyn is quite nice also. I recently went on the distillery tour but not classified as a scotch obviously as its from Wales. :)

Miller is nasty, if you want good american beer. try Sam Adams or 312.

but I'm a Jameson and Crown Royal guy, I own the finer whiskies from them and are all good.

I also prefer Chivas 12, very good scotch

I have to disagree on the Millers point, but agree on the Chivas 12 one :up: It's a great scotch.

harvick#1
3rd November 2010, 05:19
I have to disagree on the Millers point, but agree on the Chivas 12 one :up: It's a great scotch.

so tempting that I will prolly be buying the 18 year old to see how it is

555-04Q2
3rd November 2010, 05:24
so tempting that I will prolly be buying the 18 year old to see how it is

I had a 15 (I think it was a 15, might have been an 18 though) about a year back and prefered the 12. Maybe I'm just a cheap date :cheese:

Tazio
3rd November 2010, 05:35
I'm more of a Canadian Blended Whiskey guy.
I actually like VO over Crown Royal, In a tumbler with a tiny splash of club soda.
That's nice

Easy Drifter
3rd November 2010, 09:03
I too prefer VO over Crown Royal but being Cdn. still call it Rye. :D
I prefer Bushmills to Jameson for Irish.
I am not much of a beer drinker but my ex found Hobgoblin (UK) and I like it. Expensive and only available in our Liquor stores not our Beer stores.
Still prefer a single malt scotch over anything else.

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2010, 11:49
Received the incredibly kind and generous gift of a bottle of Balvenie's Doublewood 12 year from my brother in law. Perhaps not my top pick for Scotch, but it is a very fine one.

So what's your favorite Scotch?

I prefer Island malts-Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Talisker :up: :beer:

My favorite is The Balvennie, 10 year old, Single Malt. No question. Second fav is Glenfiddich (spelling might not be correct); but I have gone off Scotch. My current favorite drink is The Colonial Estate Explorateaur Barossa Valley Old Vine Shiraz 2006 which I get from here: http://www.getwinesdirect.com/
I decant it through unbleached coffee filter paper in a funnel into a crystal decanter which I won from my sailing days at the RHKYC.

schmenke
3rd November 2010, 13:28
Typically found in the schmenke cabinet:

MacAllan's 12 yr old (IMO one of the best quality single malts for the money)
Bowmore 10 yr old.
On the rare occasion I'll break out the BenRaich 16 yr old (expensive, but yummy).
When I'm feeling a bit peaty, I'll have a of Talisker.
When I'm feeling really peaty, I'll have a dram of Ardberg :eek: .
I recently tried the Bruichladich (sp?), Links, 10 yr old. Very nice, and not too pricey.

Single malt, only single malts. Blends, Rye... blech.

Oh, and with a drop of bottled or filtered water (never tap water as it contains cholrine and other minerals that affect the flavours).

Cheers! :)

fandango
3rd November 2010, 17:19
I like whisky. I can't really get into the whole this or that is better and I wouldn't touch the other. It's all good. Gridgirl's right about the water - my Dad thinks I'm a bit odd because I prefer whisky straight. He mentions it in apologetic tones to his mates.

I also prefer Bushmills to Jameson, but curously I think ordinary Jameson is actually better than the 12-year one.

There is one whisky, though, where I draw the line. A Spanish concoction called Dyc. Yes, that is the correct pronunciation. Has anyone ever tried Dyc?

glauistean
3rd November 2010, 17:50
Crested Ten

donKey jote
4th November 2010, 00:06
Has anyone ever tried Dyc?
It's been a while but I grew up on the stuff.
Ever been to the KWAI (http://www.fotolog.com/leif_garrett/46499855) ?
The infamous pechugas were Dyc with a slight hint of cola (one small bottle would top up 2-3 "cubata" glasses). 500 pesetas for the "pair of pechugas". Bejaysus :uhoh:
42kbYBZcX74

Needless to say it isn't really whiskey. :p

Valve Bounce
4th November 2010, 01:14
On that score: have any of you guys tried Sidiki (not sure of spelling) brewed from Sugar in Saudi? Man! that stuff was pure dynamite. Some friends used to mix it in a blender with ice and Orange juice. :eek:

Tazio
4th November 2010, 02:13
On that score: have any of you guys tried Sidiki (not sure of spelling) brewed from Sugar in Saudi? Man! that stuff was pure dynamite. Some friends used to mix it in a blender with ice and Orange juice. :eek: In The State’s that is called "White Lightning" Originally brewed by the Scotts Irish (Ulstermen I guess) immigrants that settled in the Adirondacks
Though that particular "Hooch " was originally made from corn mash. The Boot-legers realized they could get as much alcohol out of sugar. I've had the real "shine". That sh!t will knock you on your a$$

Easy Drifter
4th November 2010, 02:20
Yep in a quart glass jar. Both the good stuff, smooth but deadly and the cheap quick stuff just deadly.
Also had real Newfie Screech, not the crap the liquor stores sell. :eek:

schmenke
4th November 2010, 13:13
Also had real Newfie Screech..

Endured the "ceremony" eh? ;)