PDA

View Full Version : joke of the year McLaren to fully support Button for wdc

CNR
2nd November 2010, 10:38
http://www.euroweeklynews.com/2010110283640/news/sport/mclaren-to-fully-support-button.html

The McLaren F1 team have said they will fully support Jenson Button in the defense of his Drivers Championship with two races to go. Button said he would not be able to forgive himself he did not attempt to defend his crown at Interlagos on 7 November. "He has vowed to fight on and we will be supporting him fully next weekend," said McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh

button is 42 points behind Alonso
button would need alonso to dnf in the last 2 races and win the last 2 races

button 31 points behind webber

2 races to get 43 points can i have some of what they are :s mokin:

Big Ben
2nd November 2010, 10:48
this should float most of our beloved colleague's boats. Hypocrisy is a much valued quality here. every form of cheating is fully accepted and supported as long as they do their best to pretend they're saints. Ignorance is bliss.

ArrowsFA1
2nd November 2010, 10:57
Damned if you do, damned if you don't comes to mind.

The McLaren F1 team have said they have given up hope of Jenson Button retaining his Drivers Championship with two races to go. Button has said he has thrown in the towel and will be turning up at Interlagos on 7 November for the sheer hell of it. "He has vowed to make no effort whatsoever and we couldn't give two hoots," said McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh.

Big Ben
2nd November 2010, 11:01
There is always option no 3. They could shut up. That's the first thing that pops up in my head when I don't want to say the truth or lie. But then again, I'm so smart.

ArrowsFA1
2nd November 2010, 11:07
There is always option no 3. They could shut up.
That is, of course, so very easy to do when the likes of Euro Weekly News are on the case :p

All the teams produce pre-race previews and the news outlets make of them what they want to. Here's the full McLaren preview which, I assume, is where that esteemed journal EWN got their content from:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87799

Big Ben
2nd November 2010, 11:10
That is, of course, so very easy to do when the likes of Euro Weekly News are on the case :p

I'm sure that's not a problem. They could make a full story from the way the moved their eyebrows or scratched their noses :laugh: :p :

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2010, 11:13
http://www.euroweeklynews.com/2010110283640/news/sport/mclaren-to-fully-support-button.html

button is 42 points behind Alonso
button would need alonso to dnf in the last 2 races and win the last 2 races

button 31 points behind webber

2 races to get 43 points can i have some of what they are :s mokin:

They have been getting good advice from Peter Teleborian.

wedge
2nd November 2010, 13:38
I could easily point my point my finger and LMAO but to be fair Button has said he is against team orders so I admire the fact he has principles that he's willing to stick to and wants to hold his head up high.

Tazio
2nd November 2010, 13:48
Yes I give prop's to Button for what I perceive as putting on a brave face.
Very British you know stiff upper lip and etc. I do admire this in him, and can't fault him for continuing to fight. Now we must see what hand reality deals him because, McLaren are ready to pull the trigger on him if The Boss really needs a position.

555-04Q2
2nd November 2010, 14:47
this should float most of our beloved colleague's boats. Hypocrisy is a much valued quality here. every form of cheating is fully accepted and supported as long as they do their best to pretend they're saints. Ignorance is bliss.

On the contrary, some of us are smart enough to know that cheating happens all the time and is the norm in modern day sport. Sometimes the world finds out about it, sometimes the teams/individuals get away with it. It does not mean we accept it, just that it is a fact of modern day sport and pointing out a few individuals when they do get caught out does not mean the others are saints and aren't doing it too.

F1boat
2nd November 2010, 16:01
Lol, so true.

pallone col bracciale
2nd November 2010, 21:06
"Jenson, Lewis is faster than you....do you understand this message?"

Of course, with that there is no team order, so it would be perfectly acceptable and tickety-boo old bean. No proof, so no foul.

Unless it was the Scuderia, obviously. Then it would be a disgrace, a stain on the sport.

Hawkmoon
2nd November 2010, 21:10
I could easily point my point my finger and LMAO but to be fair Button has said he is against team orders so I admire the fact he has principles that he's willing to stick to and wants to hold his head up high.

Button may not believe in team orders when he's on the wrong end of them. I bet it's different story when he's on the right end.

The problem Button has is that even if he doesn't believe in team orders, McLaren most certainly do (despite their protestations to the contrary). He doesn't have too much to worry about though as I doubt he'll be infront of Hamilton anyway.

Tazio
2nd November 2010, 21:51
Spoken like a true Englishman. :up:

:laugh: ;)

Valve Bounce
2nd November 2010, 22:44
"Jenson, Lewis is faster than you....do you understand this message?"

Of course, with that there is no team order, so it would be perfectly acceptable and tickety-boo old bean. No proof, so no foul.

Unless it was the Scuderia, obviously. Then it would be a disgrace, a stain on the sport.

This! Blomqvist would be proud! :up:

Duchess
3rd November 2010, 03:01
This! Blomqvist would be proud! :up:

Someone's been getting into Stieg Larsson's books lately :laugh:

Tazio
3rd November 2010, 03:20
Palone,
If Fred wins the wdc you have an open invitation to be my guest in San Diego. I'll show you what San Diego livin' is all about. I'm guessing you will fit right in with the Irish, and Austrailian enthusiests' The Ausie Pub on Garnet and Cass street in P.B. will be showing the race they open early on sunday and it was in the high seventies and low 80% today. I hope we have rain. Not only for Fred but guys like NH, he's been on engine #9 for quite a while. Poor guy If it's wet look out for Nick,and Sauber. Oh yea' Look out for Fred, and The Boss. :bounce:

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2010, 03:22
Someone's been getting into Stieg Larsson's books lately :laugh:

Yeah!! :(

Duchess
3rd November 2010, 03:26
Don't blame you, they're seriously addicting. Plowed through the 3 novels in a weekend and watched all the movies; wish Larsson hadn't died so he could finish his series :(

Tazio
3rd November 2010, 04:21
Palone,
If Fred wins the wdc you have an open invitation to be my guest in San Diego. I'll show you what San Diego livin' is all about. I'm guessing you will fit right in with the Irish, and Austrailian enthusiests' The Ausie Pub on Garnet and Cass street in P.B. will be showing the race they open early on sunday and it was in the high seventies and low 80% today. I hope we have rain. Not only for Fred but guys like NH, he's been on engine #9 for quite a while. Poor guy If it's wet look out for Nick,and Sauber. Oh yea' Look out for Fred, and The Boss. :bounce:
Gloomyday came down from the "OC" and we met for the first time and found a dive bar in the gaslamp 2008. We got there just in time for the start of the race. I'm pretty sure he soiled himself watching The Boss claim the title, by such a miniscule margin! :up:

Big Ben
3rd November 2010, 07:45
"Jenson, Lewis is faster than you... do you understand?"
"No, I don't"
"Jenson, look at the the blue flags... they are for you... do you understand now?"

Big Ben
3rd November 2010, 07:49
:)
There is far too much flame baiting on this thread and laughter at the irony of something that hasn't even happened yet. Button is yet to pull over and wave Hamilton by so he can claim maximum points for his WDC challenge, and Mclaren have stated that they will support Button in his own fight. What do they mean by support? Could it be that they will give him the same updates as Lewis and provide him the optimal setup to set the fastest time possible in qualifying? Thats pretty much what they have done at every event and they are stating that nothing has changed. Trying to construe something sinister out of Whitmarsh's comments is rather lame IMO.

Withmarsh can lie through is teeth now because there are very few chances that we will end up seeing JB in position where he would actually have to give up his place to LH... the alternative is that he's not lying but he's really that stupid.

Tazio
3rd November 2010, 10:22
Originally Posted by Mr Alcatraz
:laugh: ;)

:)
There is far too much flame baiting on this thread and laughter at the irony of something that hasn't even happened yet. Button is yet to pull over and wave Hamilton by so he can claim maximum points for his WDC challenge, and Mclaren have stated that they will support Button in his own fight. What do they mean by support? Could it be that they will give him the same updates as Lewis and provide him the optimal setup to set the fastest time possible in qualifying? Thats pretty much what they have done at every event and they are stating that nothing has changed. Trying to construe something sinister out of Whitmarsh's comments is rather lame IMO.

I don't know why you are quoting me. I was just laughing at your not so subtle implication that a certain member claiming to be an Italian is well versed in English slang :D
No flaming here

Valve Bounce
3rd November 2010, 10:33
"Jenson, Lewis is faster than you... do you understand?"
"No, I don't"
"Jenson, look at the the blue flags... they are for you... do you understand now?"

I'll go along with this comment - may sound sinister, but I am sure McLaren will work something out that won't give the game away.

There is no way, in my view, that Bunsen will be permitted to race/finish in any manner that will result in Lewis Hamilton getting less points.

And I consider this a totally sensible approach. So there!!

Big Ben
3rd November 2010, 11:34
I'll go along with this comment - may sound sinister, but I am sure McLaren will work something out that won't give the game away.

There is no way, in my view, that Bunsen will be permitted to race/finish in any manner that will result in Lewis Hamilton getting less points.

And I consider this a totally sensible approach. So there!!

I agree. they should put tnt in jenson's car just in case he gets too cocky.

however I hope RBR boys are going to be stupid enough to favor the favorite son to the very last race season of the season.

Tazio
3rd November 2010, 15:44
I agree. they should put tnt in jenson's car just in case he gets too cocky.

however I hope RBR boys are going to be stupid enough to favor the favorite son to the very last race season of the season.

RB is going to either continue to have race degrading mistakes, and or failure. Or they stop making the kind of mistakes they have been experiencing.
It makes me think that neither one of them are capable of extracting everything out of that rig.
Fred, and the boss and others, including
Kubinski, Massa/ Button, Vettle !! He is right up there in between RK and button, or Massa! !
Ralf/half Chopper, and David Coultard would romp this field in the RB6 :eek:
So what we have are the two last races. Watch out for the Boss especially if it stays dry for the races: He has lively lumps for the last two races,

pallone col bracciale
3rd November 2010, 16:16
Spoken like a true Englishman. :up:

He is from Wales, I believe.

Tazio
3rd November 2010, 16:38

I understand there is some very good Trout fishing there. :)

Zico
3rd November 2010, 23:38
or perhaps not...

'McLaren have admitted their decision to treat Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button as equals may be reconsidered over the course of the Brazilian Grand Prix.

The team had vowed to give Button their "full support" as both drivers chase the title with two races remaining.

But with Hamilton in the stronger position to challenge leader Fernando Alonso of Ferrari, Button may be needed to help out his team-mate on Sunday.

"We'll see what the situation is during the race," said boss Martin Whitmarsh.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9155256.stm

Valve Bounce
4th November 2010, 00:04
If you can show me a team principle presently in F1 or even from the past who does not lie through his teeth regarding team matters, ............................................. :)

Sure I can: Sleazy Flav.

OK! maybe the presently condition does pose a slight restriction, but the idea is there.

Roamy
4th November 2010, 04:43
I would assume that JB will give it up unless hamilton falls out. If he were to pass hamiltion or get ahead of him and hold the position all hell would break loose. I suspect we have nothing to worry about however.

Tazio
4th November 2010, 05:11
I would assume that JB will give it up unless hamilton falls out. If he were to pass hamiltion or get ahead of him and hold the position all hell would break loose. I suspect we have nothing to worry about however.

It depends on where they qualify! This is what is so silly about complaining about Ferrari team orders in Korea. The situation may arise where Button has to back up a RB or a scud. In order for The Boss to maximize a pit stop especially if he is behind LH. Good work to McLaren if they actually have a RB or Fred behind JB
But this may be a lottery and anything can happen!
And probably will

555-04Q2
4th November 2010, 05:28
JB would not support LH for the WDC because it goes against Macca's policy and against the F1 rules which Macca would NEVER think of breaking.

Only Ferrari use team orders, remember :cheese:

Big Ben
4th November 2010, 07:48
If you can show me a team principle presently in F1 or even from the past who does not lie through his teeth regarding team matters, I will show you one who openly admits that he does. ;)

Martin Whitmarsh has a PR obligation like any other Principle to answer questions and provide information that give his team the best possible public image. If Mclaren were to ask Jenson to help Lewis out in the final two rounds, it will be discussed behind the scenes and if the team are planning to use such a method, it will be done covertly. Stefano Domenicali adopted a similar technique in Hockenheim post race when talking to the BBC. He appeared to be astonished when Eddie Jordan suggested team orders had been used, yet he spent a considerable amount of time on his mobile phone as the crew waited for him to finish and he claimed he had no idea what Smedley had said to his driver.

Its standard behaviour to provide as little incriminating information as possible, and we can read into it what we like but it won't provide answers. Be it Christian Horner, Ross Brawn, they all know how to work the media. :)

Well... it doesn't really matter that much. I don't even read this PR stuff. Anyway, it turns out they will give him full support as long as it doesn't hurt the team's interest (which is the normal thing to do). So I'd say JB can count on them for the qualis. After he will qualify once more behind all his title rivals McLaren can focus on their fast driver.

SGWilko
4th November 2010, 11:25

Don't you mean;

[Adopt haughty Welsh accent]

"He is from Wales, is it"

[Remembering to end Welsh accent mode]

Retro Formula 1
5th November 2010, 11:37
Jenson will make the decision depending on how the race progresses.

McLaren will monitor the race and decide strategy accordingly.

Seems OK to me.