PDA

View Full Version : The X-1 prototype for GT5

Otto-Matic
28th October 2010, 22:49
http://www.racer.com/sony-reveals-neweys-new-virtual-creation/article/181879/

the new "X-1" Prototype designed by Adrian Newey for Gran Turismo 5. very interesting, would be fun to see him take his ideas to ICS Aero Kits. oh well, I can dream.

ykiki
28th October 2010, 23:30
Wow - that's slick!

Chris R
29th October 2010, 01:13
Wow!!!

Otto-Matic
29th October 2010, 03:00
it's gonna be sweet to do a race in GT5 w/16 of these things on the track. The viral launch really makes me want to see this in real life. wonder what the budgets for teams in that series would be :eek: ?

UltimateDanGTR
29th October 2010, 08:20
just imagine 16 of these things round Daytona or Indianapolis in GT5. (both of which are in the game btw)

That is gonna be immense.

Dr. Krogshöj
29th October 2010, 10:38
http://www.racer.com/sony-reveals-neweys-new-virtual-creation/article/181879/

the new "X-1" Prototype designed by Adrian Newey for Gran Turismo 5. very interesting, would be fun to see him take his ideas to ICS Aero Kits. oh well, I can dream.

I think he would love to design an aero kit, given his history in Indy Cars in the eighties with March. But he won't have the time. He's got championships to win.

Enjun Pullr
29th October 2010, 15:44
The X-1 looks like a MacLaren Caparo T1, narrowed down from a two seat floor pan. That's what I had hoped the Delta was going to look after figuring out how low the drag was going to have to be.

Too bad the T1 is the only real car out of the three.

http://www.caparo-t1.com/

Otto-Matic
29th October 2010, 22:05
The X-1 looks like a MacLaren Caparo T1, narrowed down from a two seat floor pan. That's what I had hoped the Delta was going to look after figuring out how low the drag was going to have to be.

Too bad the T1 is the only real car out of the three.

http://www.caparo-t1.com/

if the X-1 or T1 was the concept for the look of the DW instead of the dildo it ended up being than i think almost everone would be on board. it's smokin' hot!
Enjun, correct me if i'm wrong but you are on board w/the concept of the DW philosophy, just not the actual physical appearance, correct?

Also since your one of the members of this forum who legitametly has knowledge of engine/dyno building, what would be your rough guess of the $$$ if there was a hypotheticall race series based on the X-1/T1?

Enjun Pullr
29th October 2010, 22:45
About the only thing I have ever been on board with about that program is the brilliance of Ben Bowlby to engineer a solution to a concept, and his ease of explaining vehicle dynamics to a layman like me.

The rest of it was a trainwreck. From the lack of market research, to the reliance on unproven technologies and non-existent components, to the strict design criteria which left none of the promised home-brew modifications as realistic possibilities.

There were more opportunities for cost overruns and outrageous application of R&D than were generally discussed, IMO. I could imagine a group of software engineers at Penske, designing programs to optimize the torque vectoring system for each circuit. Or refining the load-leveling system, which a full ground effects chassis would almost certainly require.

There was no clear advantage to independent suppliers or users of the "open source" philosophy. Paying for approval fees and selling components for a fixed price does not recoup design and testing costs, or guarantee any market share, to the subcontractors. The gravy goes to Delta, who gets paid while benefitting from the independent submissions.

The concept vehicle was a design exercise written for a strict set of criteria. Theoretical solutions were presented. It was educational to read them.

Otherwise, no thanks. I like race cars.

nigelred5
29th October 2010, 22:49
That is slick as hot cat crap on a cold doorknob! I'd definitely watch a field of those!

Otto-Matic
31st October 2010, 15:49
That is slick as hot cat crap on a cold doorknob! I'd definitely watch a field of those!

i can't wait to see all the different liveries and paint jobs in a full field once GT5 is out :eek:
Enjun's posting about the McLaren T1 got me thinking: how cool would it be to have a race series based around the X1, using GT-1 type regulations(concerning % based on the production model like the FIA GT1 series) but based on the Hypercar/Supercars like the T1, Enzo Ferrari, Bugatti Veyron, the Hennesey venom, etc.
I did some looking on Wikipedia, look at all these Hypercars that are already in retail production (retail in thi scase being a relative term. unless you got major $$$ you'll probbaly never even be close to driving one of these).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercar_(supercar)#List_of_HyperCars

use the X1 template for body design, make them open cockpit (just my personal taste) and voila!

Otto-Matic
2nd November 2010, 15:58
check this out, this is the virtual shakedown Sebastian Vettel did. the second half of the video shows a complete lap w/corner speeds for refrence. Vettel says the X-1 is between .20-.30 seconds a lap faster than his current F1 car :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvxMEOO4a_E

Chris R
3rd November 2010, 13:15
The more I think about this awesome concept the more I realize that the IRL really choose mediocrity over innovation... Sad sad sad..... This thing is exciting - it was the moment I saw it and the moment I saw it I knew it could be done... The Delta wing took me a while to warm to because it seems technically difficult at best, the new concept was just plain boring - it is to the current Dallara what the DP-01 was to the Lola - simple evolution and cost control - nothing new or exciting.....

arguh.....

Otto-Matic
3rd November 2010, 17:05
The more I think about this awesome concept the more I realize that the IRL really choose mediocrity over innovation... Sad sad sad..... This thing is exciting - it was the moment I saw it and the moment I saw it I knew it could be done... The Delta wing took me a while to warm to because it seems technically difficult at best, the new concept was just plain boring - it is to the current Dallara what the DP-01 was to the Lola - simple evolution and cost control - nothing new or exciting.....

arguh.....

agreed. The cool thing about the concept of the X-1 is that all the technology already exists. This car is completley realistic. Newey was adamant that this car was not something of the "future" in terms of un-realistic technology/sci-fi gadets that are pure fantasy, but rather it's something that could be built tomorrow. the fan concept has been around since the 70's. wasnt that the Chappreal (sic)?

Mark in Oshawa
4th November 2010, 06:46
That car is just so sick....man there is no way any one would be fit enough to exact that kind of speed out of the car. 126km/h thorough that first curve at the ring? ITS A HAIRPIN F1 cars take at about 70km/h...maybe....my god the g's...

Oh that is just so bad ass..but not reality...

Otto-Matic
5th November 2010, 23:13
That car is just so sick....man there is no way any one would be fit enough to exact that kind of speed out of the car. 126km/h thorough that first curve at the ring? ITS A HAIRPIN F1 cars take at about 70km/h...maybe....my god the g's...

Oh that is just so bad ass..but not reality...

haha +1.
drivers coudl always were G-suits, like Navy pilots. at some point if we want motorsports to go to the "next level" of speed i think G-suits for drivers are the only real option. or the engine could be de-tuned. maybe the brakes less exotic so that you have to brake earlier in a turn.