PDA

View Full Version : Mohammed #1 in Britain

Hondo
28th October 2010, 04:24
Mohammed and it's variants is now the #1 name choice for newborn males in Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324194/Mohammed-popular-baby-boys-ahead-Jack-Harry.html

Lol, the clock ticks away.

Eki
28th October 2010, 06:00
How did Hondo rank?

Do you have stats for the US? Has Jose already overtook Bubba and Billy-Bob on the top?

Hondo
28th October 2010, 06:04
They didn't say and Hondo didn't ask.

Mark
28th October 2010, 07:35
Mohammed and it's variants is now the #1 name choice for newborn males in Britain.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1324194/Mohammed-popular-baby-boys-ahead-Jack-Harry.html

Because Christian families tend to choose a wide variety of names, but Muslem ones seem to choose from a smaller pool, and it doesn't mean anything more than that!

GridGirl
28th October 2010, 08:57
I dont read the Daily Mail.

The BBC do however have Oliver as the number one boy's name in Britain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11635125

Mohammed did come 16th in the table. Although I dont particually think that Mohammed being up there is a true popular name. Most of the kids called Mohammed will be known by their middle name.

Do the US have a similar list? I would be interest to know how many hispanic derived names are in the top 10 or 20.

Macd
28th October 2010, 09:04
The daily mail is about as reliable a source as some extremist shouting in a city center.

Hondo
28th October 2010, 10:22
Well, I went here http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ and didn't see Jose, Jesus, or Carlos in the top ten while following up on y'all's Hispanic insinuations, with a side order of correctness.

However, for those of you from out of town, Daniel and Anthony are both on the list and from my experience, both of those names are popular with Hispanics. Bear in mind that these stats come from newborn names registered with the Social Security Administration. If, for some reason you felt the need to avoid government attention, there is the possibility the parents of a newborn might not register the child as required.

Captain VXR
28th October 2010, 11:03
Who gives a **** what names are the most popular?
Lots of common 'English' names like Joshua and Adam come from Hebrew origins i.e. many Brits have Middle Eastern names and have done so for hundreds of years

BDunnell
28th October 2010, 11:25
Who gives a **** what names are the most popular?
Lots of common 'English' names like Joshua and Adam come from Hebrew origins i.e. many Brits have Middle Eastern names and have done so for hundreds of years

Excellent point. Stupid thread.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th October 2010, 12:23
http://mahopa.de/bilder/lustige-forenbilder/this-thread-rocks.jpg

Eki
28th October 2010, 12:33
Interestingly the rank of Mohammed started to drop in 2001 until 2007 but is now becoming more popular again:

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

My name wasn't in the top 1000 names for any year of birth in the last 10 years. I'm disappointed.

MrJan
28th October 2010, 12:35
Trust the Mail to move the goalposts so that they can be outraged:

The official list, which covers all births in 2009 in England and Wales, has *Mohammed at number 16 but this does not include the many different spellings, which are all ranked separately.

Mark
28th October 2010, 12:36
Trust the Mail to move the goalposts so that they can be outraged:

Even if Mohammed were no.1 what does it prove? As said upthread islamic families often call their children Mohammed and then actually call them by their second name.

If you have 100 children each with different names and 2 of them are called Mohammed then that's going to be No.1!

Eki
28th October 2010, 12:38
Interestingly Abel ranked 328th last year but Cain wasn't even in the top 1000.

Eki
28th October 2010, 12:40
Jon ranked 593rd. That should raise some brows.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th October 2010, 12:54
Jon ranked 593rd. That should raise some brows.

We are a dying breed :(

janneppi
28th October 2010, 14:40
The only obvious thing to do is to kill everyone, right now. Start with A's and move back to Z. No more name problems.

But who the hell calls names their kid Alfie?

CaptainRaiden
28th October 2010, 14:43

http://www.ideasden.com/upload/2010/09/cool-story-bro-jesus.jpg

:| :dozey:

Firstgear
28th October 2010, 14:43
As said upthread islamic families often call their children Mohammed....

In the US, they use the name Darryl in the same way. :D

Remember the Bob Newhart show.... "this is my brother Darryl, and this is my other brother Darryl."

I once worked with a guy from the middle east whose first name was Ali. He had two brothers that were also named Ali, but they all went by their middle names.

schmenke
28th October 2010, 14:45
Interestingly the rank of Mohammed started to drop in 2001 until 2007 but is now becoming more popular again:

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

My name wasn't in the top 1000 names for any year of birth in the last 10 years. I'm disappointed.

My name is 191st on the list, and has been steadily dropping in popularity in recent years (must be because of Mohammed :p : ).

I'm surprised to see my first born's first and middle names both in the top 10 female list. I thought we had been fairly creative in selecting them :mark: .
My second born's first name is not in the top 1000, and her second name barely makes it, although both are variants of their more popular english spellings :mark: .

BDunnell
28th October 2010, 15:08
My name is 191st on the list, and has been steadily dropping in popularity in recent years (must be because of Mohammed :p : ).

Yeah, it's all 'their' fault.

GridGirl
28th October 2010, 15:56
The only obvious thing to do is to kill everyone, right now. Start with A's and move back to Z. No more name problems.

But who the hell calls names their kid Alfie?

My cousin called her son Alfie when he was born six years ago. A different cousin this summer then called his daughter Isabella or Izzy for short. My nextdoor neighbour has to weedy little dogs. They are called Alfie and Izzy. When my neighbour is shouting at the dogs in the garden it never fails to amuse me. :D

MrJan
28th October 2010, 16:20
Apparently my name is 966th for males (in '08), but I bet that they're all pronouncing it wrong. Strangely it isn't in the top 1000 for females, although Janet rates a bit higher.

glauistean
28th October 2010, 16:29
Surprised mine is not in the top 1,000 either. I see that Michael is #2. Although, it is most likely any Michael will be named Mike or Mick.

edv
28th October 2010, 17:12
Looking at the 'Decades' listing, I see that Edward was 23rd most popular in the 1950s.
Had I been born female, my name would've been Margaret (23rd on that list for females).
These days my name has dropped to about #140. 'Ed' or 'Eduard' do not make the top 1,000.

schmenke
28th October 2010, 17:42
Apparently my name is 966th for males ...

Check again, it's 99th :p :

Eki
28th October 2010, 18:05
Looking at the 'Decades' listing, I see that Edward was 23rd most popular in the 1950s.
Had I been born female, my name would've been Margaret (23rd on that list for females).
These days my name has dropped to about #140. 'Ed' or 'Eduard' do not make the top 1,000.
Edward and Margaret. Sounds like a pair of royals.

MrJan
28th October 2010, 18:39
Check again, it's 99th :p :

:D I no longer want to be associated with that common moniker ;)

Hondo
28th October 2010, 20:03
I knew a country girl that named her daughter "Corvette" possibly in honor of the place of conception. The little girl was lucky to come along when she did because if she had come about from the next boyfriend, her name might have been '76 Pinto wagon.

gloomyDAY
28th October 2010, 22:32
My cousin called her son Alfie when he was born six years ago. A different cousin this summer then called his daughter Isabella or Izzy for short. My nextdoor neighbour has to weedy little dogs. They are called Alfie and Izzy. When my neighbour is shouting at the dogs in the garden it never fails to amuse me. :D http://officeforward.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/1067629-cool_story_bro_super.gif

gloomyDAY
28th October 2010, 22:35
I'm just waiting for the hate-filled maniacs to come along and troll this thread.

"Wella eff erebodie namez muhaMAD in da inglant den erebodie muss ate Jesis dere a yonder."

gadjo_dilo
29th October 2010, 08:34
To quote ( again! ) my fav. british personality:

" What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet; "

( Romeo and Juliet, act II, scene II )

:laugh:

Drew
2nd November 2010, 00:56
101 Jaden
102 Kaden
103 Caden

Wow :p :

American names never cease to amaze me though, so many of them are ridiculous!

larantuka
2nd November 2010, 04:35

Interesting fact... It would put the name into the higher place if the variants are to include name like Ahmad, Ahmed, Achmad etc. As far as I am concerned they stand for the same meaning...

Roamy
2nd November 2010, 04:53
Do you know why so many Italians are named "Tony" ?

because the used to stamp their foreheads To New York

555-04Q2
2nd November 2010, 05:05
We are a dying breed :(

Not surprising when you can't spell your own name right ;)

Eki
2nd November 2010, 05:49
Do you know why so many Italians are named "Tony" ?

because the used to stamp their foreheads To New York

That explains anthonyvop. He stamped his forehead To New York, but ended up in Miami. The man is lost.

555-04Q2
2nd November 2010, 05:51
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bob Riebe
3rd November 2010, 20:38
Five years ago, I was in a class at a Tech. school in Minn. with apprx. sixteen students. Four of us were named Robert.

The instructor used to come out of his office and loudly proclaim- BOB!
He would then laugh and say, "I love to watch your heads pop-up.

For more serious concerns he would use the system of Bob number one- number two... etc, by whom had entered the class first.

Eki
3rd November 2010, 20:50
The instructor used to come out of his office and loudly proclaim- BOB!
He would then laugh and say, "I love to watch your heads pop-up.

Bobble-heads.

http://www.bobbleheadstore.net/bobble/jesus.htm

Jesus bobble-head doll and Bob Riebe bobble-head troll.

Bob Riebe
3rd November 2010, 20:52
Bobbleheads.
Probably as the whole class laughed when he did it.

markabilly
4th November 2010, 02:19
I think it is a great idea to name your children after a famous and admitted pedophile who had multiple wives, including a nine year old :rolleyes:

Mark
4th November 2010, 08:14
It does cause problems having a common name. Being called Mark I quite often have someone else called Mark around too! But of course people tend to call each other by their first names!

I remember in school they other Mark was the one which was a right worky ticket, so the teacher was always shouting 'Mark!', so much that I generally assumed she was talking to the other Mark, so didn't notice when she was referring to me!

Of course having an unusual name can cause problems too, a friends little girl 'Terry-Anne' got really upset because she couldn't buy a cup with her name on it from the shop!

I think girls are probably easier to name than boys, I can think of tonnes of potential girls names but for boys it's more difficult as you can't get away with a 'pretty' name for them :p

ShiftingGears
6th November 2010, 02:51
It's not a huge surprise as at least 95% of Muslim males I know in university have Mohammed as their first name. Most however are referred to by their second/third name.