PDA

View Full Version : Cartoons

ICWS
23rd October 2010, 09:38
I'm curious if anybody on these forums watch cartoons. Personally, cartoons are my favorite genre of fictional T.V. shows to watch. There are some great (and plain silly) cartoons that are more adult in nature. My favorite cartoons are King of the Hill, The Boondocks, The Simpsons, Futurama, South Park, and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. These are all American cartoons and my question for the non-American members of these forums is if they like any of the cartoons that I listed and if there are cartoons that shown exclusively to their own countries that they like and would recommend to watch via youtube (if available)?

Eki
23rd October 2010, 21:00
I like King of the Hill, The Simpsons, Futurama and South Park. Haven't seen The Boondocks or Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

One Finnish cartoon is Pasila, but you probably can't get much out of it, since it's in Finnish:

Voxmh2JNKwQ

ICWS
24th October 2010, 00:09
I like King of the Hill, The Simpsons, Futurama and South Park. Haven't seen The Boondocks or Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

But you know the plots of The Boondocks and ATHF, right? If not, I'll tell you:

The Boondocks is based upon a comic strip created by a young black-American man named Aaron McGruder (who also created the T.V. show). Both the show and comic strip are a social satire of contemporary American culture (in particular, African-American pop culture) that revolves mostly around two black children, who are 10 and 8 years old, and their grandfather who they live with in a peaceful suburb in Maryland. the animation-style of the cartoon is influenced by anime/manga. This show has created much controversy here in the states for its depiction of contemporary African-American culture. The show makes heavy usage of the "n-word" because, as Mr. McGruder put it, doing so provides a level of realism due to many young black americans using that word frequently in this day and age. The show also frequently lampoons black American celebrities like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Oprah Winfrey, and various hip-hop people for being "professional bafoons". Famously, the Boondocks heavily criticizes American media like MTV, and the channel BET (Black Entertainment Television) for promoting and celebrating the black-American pop culture that spawns igonorance, self-defeating lifestyles, and excessive/wasteful extravagence. On top of this satire is a general satire of the United States today. Mr. McGruder doesn't hide his leftist views and also lampoons conservative talk show people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly. He also takes shots at current and former Republican politicians like both George H.W. and George W. Bush, and Ronald Reagan (in the show, it is suggested that Ronald Wilson Reagan was the devil due all three of his names having 6 letters, and that Reaganomics was put into place by him to maintain the economic struggle of black Americans).

Aqua Teen Hunger Force is just a silly show featuring the adventures of three anthropomorphic fast food items (a milkshake, a box of fries, and a meatball) and their human neighbor, Carl. The episodes tend to lack clear plots and place the characters in bizzare and surreal situations. The three main characters are roommates and act like mystery-solving team. They are often visited by strange monsters/aliens that usually pose no threat to them. Simply, the show is pure randomness and I strongly believe that the show was created by and for pot-smokers.

If you had to choose between the two shows, I would pick the Boondocks.

Azumanga Davo
24th October 2010, 03:58
Just the other day I picked up Johnny Bravo season 1 on DVD. And I don't mind putting on the occasional classic HB cartoon once in a while if nowt else is on. Anime is another thing I'm starting to collect a bit more of these days, but that ain't cheap... :o