PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Survey

call_me_andrew
11th March 2007, 22:17
It would be nice if the MODs would make this into a poll, but I'm not holding my breath.

Of these choices, which race would you rather watch?

A-A race bogged down with several "debris" cautions that ends with a green white checked causing a three abreast finish.

B-A caution free race that's dominated by a single driver who wins entirely on his own merit.

blakebeatty
13th March 2007, 18:37
I would choose A, but i think the point of your survey is that there may well be no way to please people?

harvick#1
13th March 2007, 18:44
but I would choose A, because B sounds like an F1 race :p :

B - only if its Harvick, Burton or Bowyer, with the other two running in the top 5

DonnieB
13th March 2007, 19:51
The most thrilling race I ever saw was of type B, 100 laps on a 1/5 mile bullring from an inverted start--green all the way. The quick timer started last and took the lead with 10 to go. If it's a type B where the polesitter leads from flag to flag, I'll take the type A, but only if the cautions are for real debris. If you don't throw the caution for real debris, you get to throw one later for the wreck caused by someone running over the debris.

If the polesitter leads a type B all the way, and the cautions in the type A are for phantom debris, I don't want either one.

Jonesi
13th March 2007, 21:31
I'll take type B if it happens, but with todays tracks and drivers it really won't happen that often, even without the "debris".

I must be one of the few people to have the reverse happen. Serious debris on course and Nascar wouldn't throw a yellow! Winston West race at Sears Point in early 80s. Lead communicator at turn 9, Some car loses a tire WITH wheel, comes to rest MIDDLE of track at apex of turn (which isn't the racing line, but is in the fast guy passing line). I call it in, Nascar official can't be bothered to go yellow, until it gets nudged 2 or 3 times. When it's half way to T10 he can see it from the tower, he gets on the radio going ballistic about being told about it. I'm reaching for the mike, when SCCA Communications Chief gets on informing him how many minutes & seconds have elapsed since he was informed about the "debris". Then he throws the caution. It was the last time I ever worked a Nascar race.

slorydn1
15th March 2007, 00:38
Even tho its not a choice I would say neither....I'd like to see a race with timely cautions that are for real, not the fake debris cautions, with the last 40-50 laps caution free with the guy in second place about 5 seconds back and running 1 to 2 tenths a lap faster than the leader hauling him in for a last lap dash to the line....we ALMOST had that a California, then Sniffle ran out of talent and almost killed poor Reutimann....then Happy got the flat tire under caution killing that deal...

Mark in Oshawa
17th March 2007, 12:56
I dislike your two choices and submit my own, a close race with 3 or 4 guys swapping the lead with just a few cautions, and maybe one near the end. Taking your two choices, give me A, because at least it is a crap shoot on who will pull out the victory.

e2mtt
17th March 2007, 22:16
I would say B. Here are the key points:

If you have one driver running away with the race, concentrate on the battles throughout the field. Races need to be announced by announcer/color commentator people who actually know how to figure fuel stategy, watch a lap time monitor, and follow the close battles. They can then keep the race intersting, even if a leader is far out in front. (NASCAR announcers have a ways to go...) Less action, more drama, can be good sometimes.

If there are debris caution, I want to see exactly where the debris is, and see them pick it up, and tell us what it is. Is it too much to ask for them to record what caused the debris caution in the race report?

Old3Fan
17th March 2007, 22:55
I choose B as that what racing is all about. You qualify the fastest and you start in 1st. If you stay the fastest and don't make any mistakes, on the track or in the pits then you win. So what if there is no passing. If you are fastest and don't make mistakes, no one passes you.

Jonesi
17th March 2007, 23:16
I choose B as that what racing is all about. You qualify the fastest and you start in 1st. If you stay the fastest and don't make any mistakes, on the track or in the pits then you win. So what if there is no passing. If you are fastest and don't make mistakes, no one passes you.

If it happens every once in a while that's ok, but if it reoccurs they're found quilty of breaking Nascar's #1 rule:
"DON'T STINK UP THE SHOW!!"

e2mtt
18th March 2007, 01:01

YES! VERY GOOD! I had some round-in-circle discussions about this on the F1 boards here... all the kids want more overtaking. The only way you get more overtaking in racing, is gimmicks.

After all, if you give the starting spots based on speed in qualifying, and then everybody runs at nearly qualifying speed and doesn't break, everybody just finishes in the same order they started, with gaps between them representing their speed differences.

harvick#1
18th March 2007, 01:10
but its not like the drivers are robots, except Kenseth ;) Human error happens and the cars will change the caracteristics from the track, wind, heat, sun/shade, and tires.

if you want to pretend you are in that world where everything is perfect, play Nascar 07 ;)

e2mtt
18th March 2007, 01:35
"He's a robot!" "A winning robot!"

By nature, stock car racing is much closer then formula racing, and produces close wheel-to-wheel racing at many tracks, with no gimmicks needed.

Some posters on the F1 boards seemed to think that every F1 race should be packed full of either NASCAR type action, or should always resemble the once-in-a-lifetime highlights from G. Villienue & J. Clark.