PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock

Rollo
18th October 2010, 23:00
We're just getting this series in Australia now and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised. My initial impressions before the series began was that either it would be either terrible or that they'd have to pull off a brilliant series because Granada had pretty well much laid down a definitive series with Jeremy Brett.
I must admit I have to hand it to the Beeb, they have done very very well.

I do however have one question, throughout the books, Holmes generally gives the impression as being aloof and almost disinterested in life until a crime happens to turn up. Do you think this is the result of misanthropy, which is in turn further fed by his involvement in solving crimes?

Dave B
19th October 2010, 09:16
Benedict Cumberbatch presented last week's Have I Got News For You and was suprisingly good :up:

I do however have one question, throughout the books, Holmes generally gives the impression as being aloof and almost disinterested in life until a crime happens to turn up. Do you think this is the result of misanthropy, which is in turn further fed by his involvement in solving crimes?
Deep question, and one to which I don't have the answer, but don't you agree that the writers of House have captured this aspect of the man on whom the series is based?

Mark
19th October 2010, 10:52
He also served as the Stephen Hawkings voice in the recent series "Stephen Hawking's Universe"

Dave B
19th October 2010, 10:54
Why? I've got text-to-speech software on my PC that does a decent impression of Hawkins, without paying an actor :p

MrJan
19th October 2010, 12:21
I enojyed Sherlock when it was on, felt like a good update on the stories. Benedict Cumberpatch, besides having the greatest name ever, plays the role with impressive aplomb.

Alfa Fan
19th October 2010, 12:32
Deep question, and one to which I don't have the answer, but don't you agree that the writers of House have captured this aspect of the man on whom the series is based?

Absolutely. It very much pays homage to it, what with his home being 221B! And the relationship between House/Wilson (Holmes/Watson). And the patient in the season 2 finale who shot him called Moriaty!

Hazell B
22nd October 2010, 13:14
Benedict Cumberpatch .... plays the role with impressive aplomb.

Doesn't he just! His casting was the one thing that would have put me off what sounded like a brilliant show on paper, but within minutes I was unashamedly hooked.

It's Dr Who for those who aren't hard of thinking :up:

AndyRAC
22nd October 2010, 19:52
I was expecting it to be a pile of dung - however, I was delighted to be wrong!! A modern take on a classic - and it really works. Great stuff!! The casting has worked a treat.

Rollo
25th October 2010, 22:42
I wasn't convinced by the chap playing Moriarty at all.

I always thought that Moriarty was more of a magnificent *******, but here he seemed to be some sort of loon; his voice was just plain weird.

On the BBC's website Steven Moffat said that he considered all previous interpretations as canon, however this version of Moriarty was less Professor James Moriarty and more Count Jim "knees" Moriarty, three times World Underwater Saxophone Champion (you've got to go Ooooowwwwwww).