PDA

View Full Version : Squib

MrJan
15th October 2010, 21:12
Bonfire night is less than a month away (for us UK types), anyone doing anything interesting?

I'll probably find myself at the running of the Tar Barrels in Ottery St Mary, Devon. It basically involves watching some bumpkins set light to barrels of increasing size and then running around in the crowd like idiots. It's madness, although things might be a bit different this year because someone chucked an aerosol in the barrel last year and badly injured some of the people watching. It's a good laugh though, and a good excuse for a binge.

Ghostwalker
15th October 2010, 22:32
seems quite similar to what we in Sweden call "Valborg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valborg#Sweden)" which is held at April 30th every year.
The purpose of valborg is simply to great the arrival of the spring.

GridGirl
17th October 2010, 17:47
Since last Saturday there has been a lad of about 12 sat on the wall outside of my Sainsbury's local saying 'Penny for the guy' as you walk in and out of the shop. The thing is that he hasn't even bothered to make a guy. It's just glorified begging with a hint of historical relevance for this time of year if you ask me. I'm not going to think about giving him any money if he doesn't have a guy. Next time I see him I might ask him if he even knows who Guy Fawkes is.

As for me, I have no idea what I'm going to do on Guy Fawes night. If bonfire and fireworks displays are all on the Friday night I will probably see 120 miles worth of fireworks as a drive home. If there are any displays on Saturday I hopefully might go to one. :)

Drew
21st October 2010, 20:12
I'm jealous Jan, I've always wanted to go there for bonfire night!