PDA

View Full Version : BTCC 2011 Rumours

Pages : [1] 2

Alfa Fan
6th October 2010, 12:59
I think it's time for this thread, been a few stories recently.

Plus here's a rundown of the current status of entries for next year.

RML

Probably going to return with the Chevrolet Cruze's, and if they do will retain Jason Plato as lead driver. Team-mate will have to bring $$$ but this doesn't rule out it being Alex MacDowell again.

Very likely 2 x Chevrolet Cruze (Plato & TBA)

Dynamics

Rumoured to have retained Honda backing after a strong 2010. Some sort of announcement expected over this weekend on that front. Driver line-up unlikely to change.

Very likely 2 x Honda Civic (Shedden & Neal)

Motorbase

Almost certainly going to continue in the championship, probably with just two BMWs but option of a third car. Jackson almost certain to be retained, Kane dependent on sponsorship.

Very likely 2 x BMW 320SI (Jackson & TBA)

WSR

Doesn't want to spend another year as midfield runners. Could bring Turkington back to the championship if he decides on BTCC over WTCC. Unlikely that driver line-up will remain unchanged.

Possible 2/3 x BMW 320SI (Turkington? Collard? Neate?)

Triple Eight

In the right hands the Vectra can still be very competitive. Expect to see them running two amateur drivers if they can get a package together.

Possible 2 x Vauxhall Vectra (Nash? Lloyd? Walker? Smith? Tordoff?)

Arena

Almost certain to return but may switch to NGTC Petrol engine. Rumoured they could even have a full-NGTC spec Focus up and running for 2011. Tom Chilton an absolute certainty, but TOC has plans to move elsewhere. State they are going to run 3 cars (as they stated in 2009 and 2010)

Confirmed 2 x Ford Focus (Chilton & Onslow-Cole?) + Possible 1 x Ford Focus (TBA?)

Special Tuning

Would like to run 2 cars next year, although YRC's tie-up with AmD has dented this possibility. Also want the TDI engine, which very much depends on SEATs plans for 2011.

Likely 1 x SEAT Leon (TDI?) (Boardman) + Possible 1 x SEAT Leon (TDI?) (TBA?)

Boulevard Team Racing

Car is set to phased out by new rules, although confirmation of this has still not been announced. Talk of expansion to two cars.

Likely 1 x TBA (Johnson) + Possible 1 x TBA (TBA)

Techspeed

JAG going into administration can't have helped finances, just ending this season has been a struggle. Will need major new financial backing to return in 2011. Martyn Bell's return from injury could see the team continue to be represented.

Possible 1-3 x TBA (O'Neill? George? Bell? Kizilirmak?)

Forster

Want to return after tough 2010.

Possible 2 x BMW 320SI (Forster & Depper)

Wood

Unknown

Possible 1 x TBA (Wood)

Barwell

Plan to be out in 2011. Integra may not be eligible anymore.

Likely 1 x TBA (Kaye)

Pinkney

Very Likely 1 x Vauxhall Vectra (Pinkney)

Jordan

Very Likely 1 x Vauxahll Vectra (Jordan)

AmD

Confirmed 1 x Volkswagen Golf (Hollamby) + Possible 1 x Volkswagen Golf (TBA?)

Others

Joey Foster & Dave Newsham are looking to enter[/*:m:2loj0b37]
Frank Wrathall to run an NGTC Toyota Avensis[/*:m:2loj0b37]

Alfa Fan
6th October 2010, 15:45
If Techspeed return, it won't be with the Integras:

http://www.ten-tenths.com/news/showentry.php?e=1331

Northern Monkey
6th October 2010, 17:07
Don't expect a diesel SEAT - doubt we'll see diesel in the BTCC again.

Don't expect to see two Boulevard cars - one might be a huge ask given the Astra can't run and after the unfortunate death of Cliff Johnson.

Triple Eight are chasing manufacturer deals which would rule the Vectra out.

Tech-Speed will be there and JAG has been replaced on the cars since the middle of the season which shows that wasn't an issue in any way.

Alfa Fan
6th October 2010, 17:24
The team have said they want to run the diesel - let's wait and see!

Johnson's said he wants 2 cars, and that was after Oulton.

How is the Vectra ruled out? Triple Eight were after a manufacturer deal for this year, didn't seem to rule the Vectra out this year!

Just because Techspeed are struggling along this year, doesn't mean they can make it safely into 2011.

Northern Monkey
6th October 2010, 17:46
If Triple Eight can do a deal there would be no Vectra - my point being don't assume the Vectra will be the car they use.

As for Tech-Speed, as I said, they'll be on the grid next season.

Alfa Fan
6th October 2010, 18:15
At the moment the most likely car for 888 is the Vectra! Anything else would be pure speculation.

VkmSpouge
6th October 2010, 18:41
Dynamics

Rumoured to have retained Honda backing after a strong 2010. Some sort of announcement expected over this weekend on that front. Driver line-up unlikely to change.

Very likely 2 x Honda Civic (Shedden & Neal)

Team Dynamics are switching engines to an NGTC-spec prepared by Neil Brown Engineering.

AmD

Confirmed 1 x Volkswagen Golf (Hollamby) + Possible 1 x Volkswagen Golf (TBA?)

They are switching to an NGTC engine as well, the Swindon or one of their own. I wouldn't hold my breath on any second entry as none of today's press releases mentions it and Autosport.com and Touringcartimes.com say it is only a single car entry.

Northern Monkey
6th October 2010, 20:54
Single car for AmD

Northern Monkey
6th October 2010, 21:00
At the moment the most likely car for 888 is the Vectra! Anything else would be pure speculation.

At the moment, almost everything is speculation!

PDS
6th October 2010, 21:36
The team have said they want to run the diesel - let's wait and see!

They wanted to run the diesel this year and were told they couldn't.

Another team wanted to run a diesel SEAT but walked away from the championship when they were told NO!

The Diesel engine is not allowed in the BTCC. Alan Gows response on future engines in the BTCC his forum was ....
No....the only engines eligible will be either the NGTC engine or the current S2000 2 litre.

tisme
6th October 2010, 21:41

Weren't 888 connected to the proposed Volvo entry that didn't happen this season?

Also, You have missed off Jason Hughes.... Isn't he coming back out in his MG with a NGTC diesel turbo running on methane???

VkmSpouge
6th October 2010, 22:23
Weren't 888 connected to the proposed Volvo entry that didn't happen this season?

I think Triple Eight have been linked to any manufacturer so much as glancing at the BTCC.

RMLCruzeing82
8th October 2010, 05:00
Also, You have missed off Jason Hughes.... Isn't he coming back out in his MG with a NGTC diesel turbo running on methane???

the MG ZS wont be allowed to race next year he would have to get a new car if he wants to race in the btcc next year

Allyc85
8th October 2010, 17:13
Honda confirmed for 2011 :D

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87286

Eurotech
8th October 2010, 18:24
Didn't Vauxhall say a while back that they wanted to return for 2011? I imagine it'd be with an NGTC Insignia rather than the Vectra but we'll have to wait and see :)

Allyc85
8th October 2010, 19:46
If Vauxhall return then it wouldnt make sense to use a model that they dont produce any more ;)

VkmSpouge
8th October 2010, 19:47
Honda confirmed for 2011 :D

Very good news that Honda have confirmed so early ^^

PDS
8th October 2010, 21:06
Isn't he coming back out in his MG with a NGTC diesel turbo running on methane???

What? Methane? The stuff that is produced from BULL****?

Honda confirmed for 2011

Great news.. But lets stick to rumours.....

Time for Alfa Fan to start a CONFIRMED thread, me thinks...

AlrightTreacle?
8th October 2010, 21:20
Any word on Encke Sport, Clyde Valley Racing, Team 48 or Team Quest?

Eurotech
9th October 2010, 10:39
Any word on Encke Sport, Clyde Valley Racing, Team 48 or Team Quest?
They're all collaborating to run a Ferrari F430 with Elvis Presley driving :p

Alfa Fan
10th October 2010, 13:35
According to ITV, Frank Wrathall confirmed for BTCC next year :)

AndySpeed
10th October 2010, 15:54
Didn't Vauxhall say a while back that they wanted to return for 2011? I imagine it'd be with an NGTC Insignia rather than the Vectra but we'll have to wait and see :)

The key words being wait and see.

Allyc85
10th October 2010, 16:00
According to ITV, Frank Wrathall confirmed for BTCC next year :)

I missed that, any more info on car etc?

Alfa Fan
10th October 2010, 16:08
No it was just said that he'd said to, Simon Hill I think it was, that he was definitely doing BTCC in 2011. MN suggested earlier in the week it would be with the NGTC Toyota!

VkmSpouge
10th October 2010, 17:47
Steve Rider did an interview with Frank Wrathall on TV and he did confirm he was aiming to be in the BTCC next season with Team Dynojet but of course it is dependent on sponsorship.

Andrew Jordan also saying he and the team are looking to comeback in 2011.

Allyc85
10th October 2010, 20:09
Fingers crossed it works out as hes a very quick driver, and surely one day Breeze will be back in the BTCC!?

Les
11th October 2010, 06:18
there's a lot of drivers out there that want to break in BTCC but the leap from 60k or 150k a season to 250k+ is so hard to do.
I couldn't afford one set of tyres let alone a weekends worth.
Good luck to them all who are trying

VkmSpouge
11th October 2010, 20:27
I guess the new NGTC regs should start helping there in reducing the costs of the car.

jtsmee
13th October 2010, 19:22
the MG ZS wont be allowed to race next year he would have to get a new car if he wants to race in the btcc next year

They will probably use the MG 6 - http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/250366/

james

VkmSpouge
14th October 2010, 18:12
Honda confirming that they will keep with Matt Neal and Gordon Shedden for next season http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87443

Captain VXR
14th October 2010, 22:37
Kaye likely to return with WRC Developments and Jap Performance Parts, in a new car, probably Japanese :D
http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/btcc.asp

Jap Peformance is proud to annouce its sponsorhip of James Kaye in the BTCC. This is the first time JPP has been involved in BTCC and is working closely with James in his come back to BTCC after four years. The car has been rebuilt and had its debut at Donnington in September 2010, taking 9th place and scoring points in its first outing. We look forward to Brands Hatch in October and the 2011 season.

"This is a great opportunity to work with James, I am really excitied to have JPP involved in BTCC and it gives us a good foundation for launching 'Jap Performance Carbon' a joint venture between JPP and WRC Developments. We will support James and the DC5 for the remaining season and look forward to a new car in 2011. Hopefully he won't need a lot of spares!" - Sajid Moghal (JapPerformanceParts)
His Integra was the best looking one this season, imo:
http://www.japperformanceparts.co.uk/images/MISC/btcc.jpg

VkmSpouge
14th October 2010, 23:17
Hmm, considering James Kaye has only ever driven Japanese cars in the BTCC and he's sponsored by a Japanese car parts company, I'm taking a shot and guessing he might be driving a Honda Civic next year.

Captain VXR
14th October 2010, 23:24
Hmm, considering James Kaye has only ever driven Japanese cars in the BTCC and he's sponsored by a Japanese car parts company, I'm taking a shot and guessing he might be driving a Honda Civic next year.

Seems likely - and as the current generation Civics get cheaper, more people will buy performance parts for them, therefore Kaye and jpp would stand to gain a lot

Alfa Fan
14th October 2010, 23:40
I suspect he might have something a bit more exciting than that! Let's wait and see....

Captain VXR
15th October 2010, 00:48
I suspect he might have something a bit more exciting than that! Let's wait and see....

Avensis NGTC?
Do you know something that I dont?

RMLCruzeing82
15th October 2010, 03:47

or Toyota Avensis :D

VkmSpouge
15th October 2010, 13:09
A choice between an untried Avensis and a race winning Civic, I would go for the Civic, if money was no object. But heck, I don't care if Kaye turns up in John George's gas-powered Honda Civic Type-R from 2004, it'll be great to have him back for a full season :D

Darlo
28th October 2010, 13:41
Today's MSN reports RML are looking at a third driver for next year, potentially running Plato, MacDowall and rumours of Mat Jackson returning.

UltimateDanGTR
28th October 2010, 14:57
Today's MSN reports RML are looking at a third driver for next year, potentially running Plato, MacDowall and rumours of Mat Jackson returning.

two 3 car teams in WTCC and BTCC then? maybe, I'd say that such an occurance would be quite likely from Chevrolet. which would be good if it did happen.

Though it does raise the question of why Jackson was not used this year instead of Macdowell, after Jackson's class act in 2009. He has had an awful year this season, but is still a very good driver IMO.

Allyc85
28th October 2010, 15:44
Though it does raise the question of why Jackson was not used this year instead of Macdowell,

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Dont get me wrong Macdowell did a good job but its not secret that hes loaded.

RMLCruzeing82
28th October 2010, 21:48
take a look at this beauty. only a concept livery but looks stunning

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5469

UltimateDanGTR
29th October 2010, 08:18
^ great livery indeed, though the way the 'Hughes' is stuck on the side it does look a bit like a bit of word-art plonked ontop of the livery'

To be fair that's a bit critical because the rest of it is very good, but it is a bit noticable.

mattie007
7th November 2010, 14:17
Saw the MG6 for the first time at the MPH show and have to say its a nice looking car that would suit the BTCC perfectly....

http://i52.tinypic.com/2h7l43q.jpg

Allyc85
7th November 2010, 17:48
And in MN the other week it did say WSR were talking to manufacturers as thats what they need to come back!

Alfa Fan
7th December 2010, 14:08
So into December and we still haven't had a non-NGTC engined entry announced. Obviously highlighting just how expensive those engines were to run!

Eurotech
8th December 2010, 15:16
I'm expecting the remaining Beemers to run the old engine because I don't think theres too much life left in the 320si so theres not much point trying to run it with a different powerplant....

Alfa Fan
12th December 2010, 14:21
Rob Austin Racing to run 2 NGTC Audi A4s in the BTCC.

MrMetro
12th December 2010, 14:59
Rob Austin Racing to run 2 NGTC Audi A4s in the BTCC.

Now that would be awesome! :D

jtsmee
12th December 2010, 15:00
http://www.btcc.net/html/fansphotos.php?imagecat_id=0&id=6536&pagest=0&pagelen=8&searchterm=

MrMetro
12th December 2010, 15:18
Nice! Hope the real thing looks like that :D

Thanks for the link jtsmee!

Allyc85
12th December 2010, 18:03
Can someone link to the picture for those not signed up there :)

AndySpeed
12th December 2010, 19:54
Reading the comments on their facebook page backs up the mock-up picture. Apparently it's commissioned by GPR Motorsport.

Looks great!

Allyc85
6th January 2011, 17:59
Quote from Pistonheads..

JAS are considering building the honda accord to ngtc specs this is the same team who ran the honda accords in the btcc during the supper toures era, apparently mugen is funding dont know how true it is but more promising news for the btcc rummor stared from touring car times.

Captain VXR
6th January 2011, 20:23
Forums or main site?

Allyc85
6th January 2011, 20:33
Im guessing the forums as I cant see anything on the main site. I have also just seen this rumour on the Ten tenths forum.

Allyc85
7th January 2011, 16:52
Special Tuning Racing now have 4 Leons!

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2225

VkmSpouge
7th January 2011, 22:12
I'm guessing the one driver that they have already signed is Tom Boardman. Four cars is very ambitious. I hope they achieve it!

Eurotech
8th January 2011, 13:02
I think the Leon with an NGTC engine should be a good combo though because that car has a great chassis ans now has the powerful engine it needed (apart from the TDi obviously)

Alfa Fan
12th January 2011, 23:34
And in MN the other week it did say WSR were talking to manufacturers as thats what they need to come back!

I hear there might be an interesting announcement related to this in the next couple of day! :D

Alfa Fan
13th January 2011, 15:57
Autosport report today Dan Welch has enterred the series in a TBA NGTC car.

AndySpeed
13th January 2011, 18:08
"Gow expects at least five fully-fledged NGTC machines in the 2011 field"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88900

Not wanting to hang off his every word but I make that two Avensis', two A4's and... an unknown.

trebor901
13th January 2011, 18:23
MG's? maybe they will be back

norwichsam1
13th January 2011, 21:04
Wouldn't that be
2 x Rob Austin Audi's
2 x Speedworks Toyota Avensis
1 x Dynojet Toyota Avensis

c8nay
13th January 2011, 22:55
The fifth car is probably the TBA Dan Welch version as Alfa Fan posted.

Autosport report today Dan Welch has enterred the series in a TBA NGTC car.

VkmSpouge
13th January 2011, 23:20
I wonder why they haven't announced what car they will use? You would think they have made their minds up by now what car they want to use.

Just saw on Facebook a picture of Lea Wood's Integra being made ready for this year: http://www.facebook.com/pages/team-wood-racing/205417727071#!/photo.php?fbid=499022282071&set=a.499022277071.280063.205417727071

Alfa Fan
14th January 2011, 01:46
I wonder why they haven't announced what car they will use? You would think they have made their minds up by now what car they want to use.

They probably have. There's been no announcement from the team, just what Gow said.

mattie007
14th January 2011, 18:40
Please let it be the MG6! This thing was built to be raced!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2d96ykj.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/27zak29.jpg

RMLCruzeing82
14th January 2011, 19:53

wow :eek: that thing looks nice with a racing livery

RMLCruzeing82
14th January 2011, 19:55
Just seen AmD Milltek Racing Golf. plus i like the new rule on were the number is on all the cars.

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5682

Allyc85
14th January 2011, 20:44
Looks good that. Hopefully Milltek can keep the 2.0T sounding sweet like it did last year and most importantly of all I hope the team can get up there in the field. :D

Eurotech
14th January 2011, 21:13
I don't like the new numbers, I think the old ones were much more professional looking. I also don't like the Dunlop Numberplates either, too much Dunlop yellow on the cars now, breaks up the liveries. I'm sure they'll grow on me but they look a bit too DTCCish to me. :/

AndySpeed
14th January 2011, 22:18
Personally I am very much in favour of the new numbering system:

http://www.millteksport.com/media/images/news/additional/85.lg.jpg

It allows for a more complete livery - allows a little bit more freedome in designing it and, in the case of the AmD Essex car pictured, it allows the font size to be larger and in proportion - which is better for paying sponsors.

Good move :up:

Eurotech
14th January 2011, 22:29
I think they look a bit Time Attack/Club Drift/Chav in Tesco carpark though...

VkmSpouge
14th January 2011, 23:44
I started out a little against the new numbers after thinking about it I'm in favour (I believe the STCC uses similar numbers) as they are very visible and with the big white rectangle on the door remove the liveries should look even better.

RMLCruzeing82
15th January 2011, 00:38
im feeling more Scandinavian then English :D

Captain VXR
16th January 2011, 15:58
I think they look a bit Time Attack/Club Drift/Chav in Tesco carpark though...

Please do not associate Time Attack and drifting with chavs. Thank you.
I think the liveries look pretty good

VkmSpouge
16th January 2011, 19:19
Rob Collard looking to return with West Surrey Racing according to TouringCarTimes but only if the BMW is given engine dispensation. I hope no dispensation is given. Don't get me wrong, I want to see Collard and WSR back next year but just because their engine is gutless doesn't mean they should be given special treatment by TOCA.
However perhaps TOCA can allow BMWs to run without that special longer first gear which handicaps them at the start?

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5686

tisme
17th January 2011, 18:58

Yep.. In the Truck Championship...

Sorry, that looks really awful..

Eurotech
19th January 2011, 18:03
Please do not associate Time Attack and drifting with chavs. Thank you.
I think the liveries look pretty good
I wasn't associating the series, I was talking about the liveries and colour schemes which can be all very similar...

Allyc85
19th January 2011, 21:03
I thought the new numbers looked alright when I looked at the VW at the weekend, and if it gives sponsors more space im all for it :)

Captain VXR
20th January 2011, 21:00
I wasn't associating the series, I was talking about the liveries and colour schemes which can be all very similar...

most badly modified cars I see have no race numbers, maybe its different in where ever you live

Alfa Fan
21st January 2011, 16:22
Special Tuning have got a new sponsor "Houseman Dry Lining". Mockup appears to confirm Tom Boardman as one of up to 4 drivers.

RMLCruzeing82
22nd January 2011, 06:26
Special Tuning have got a new sponsor "Houseman Dry Lining". Mockup appears to confirm Tom Boardman as one of up to 4 drivers.

they nicked pinkneys sponcer :p

Alfa Fan
28th January 2011, 19:03
Rumours suggesting Carl Breeze might be joining STR SEAT.

Alfa Fan
31st January 2011, 15:22
Sunshine are going to continue being a sponsor in the BTCC in 2011. Don't know which team yet but I assume it will remain Techspeed.

Allyc85
31st January 2011, 17:56
Rumours suggesting Carl Breeze might be joining STR SEAT.

I so hope that happens, he is a quality racing driver no matter what he gets put in!

Alfa Fan
1st February 2011, 17:50
So whose going to fill all the remaining seats in this years series?

RML x1-2 alongside Plato
Arena x2 alongside Chilton
WSR x1-2 alongside Collard
Triple Eight x1-2 if at all
STR x2-3 alongside Boardman
Rob Austin x2
Speedworks x1 alongside Hughes
Motorbase x1 alongside Jackson & Griffin

Alfa Fan
1st February 2011, 17:56
My bets are

RML Alex MacDowall
Arena Andy Neate & Henry Taylor
WSR Nick Jones
Triple Eight James Nash
STR Carl Breeze & Adam Jones
RAR No Idea
Speedworks No Idea
Motorbase Steven Kane

PDS
13th February 2011, 23:55
Was surprised to see Jeff Smith's Vectra painted white at a recent test session at Brands.

The car that came from Pinkney was black and Jordans Pirtek car is basically blue.

So why is it white?

Alfa Fan
14th February 2011, 00:10
Different sponsor I assume!

PDS
14th February 2011, 00:28
I was under the impression that both cars would be run under the Pirtek banner??

Alfa Fan
14th February 2011, 00:44
http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2205

Called the team "Eurotech" when Smith joined.

BUT, I missed this in the more recent press release..

"Racing alongside Jordan will be relative newcomer Jeff Smith – he confirmed some time ago he would race a Vectra for the Eurotech company that prepares the cars but his entry will now also fall under the Pirtek banner."

http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2232

Maybe the white was just an undercoat?

AndySpeed
14th February 2011, 01:21
Maybe the white was just an undercoat?

Probably a bit difficult to paint a black car blue without an undercoat...

Allyc85
15th February 2011, 16:10
Has anyone seen this or got any more info?

http://www.welchmotorsport.com/btcc.htm

Alfa Fan
15th February 2011, 16:27
Yeah its an NGTC Proton Gen 2! Gow's already mentioned they've received an entry from the team. Exciting stuff.

So thats

Audi
BMW
Chevrolet
Ford
Honda
SEAT
Toyota
Vauxhall
Volkswagen

9 manufacturers represented on the grid this year!

JasonPotato
15th February 2011, 17:12
Looking very promising.

Would be nice too see a few more from the 90s come back like renault with the megane and maybe volvo with the c30.

AndySpeed
15th February 2011, 17:24
The Proton is an old model is it not? Unless there is a new Gen 2 coming out, that car is potentially already 6 years old!

I can't see it being affiliated with the car company either, but you never know.

VkmSpouge
15th February 2011, 18:33
It would be good to see another type of car on the grid, though I wonder, of all the various vehicles available to choose from why would Welch Motorsport choose a Proton Gen-2?

Alfa Fan
15th February 2011, 18:53
Tony Gilham has joined 888 to race alongside James Nash.

Allyc85
15th February 2011, 18:59
And TOC was in the Motorbase garage at Brands today ;)

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5766

mattie007
16th February 2011, 19:49
It would be good to see another type of car on the grid, though I wonder, of all the various vehicles available to choose from why would Welch Motorsport choose a Proton Gen-2?

Isn't there an S2000 Proton rally car that's doing quite well? Maybe it's based on that?

VkmSpouge
16th February 2011, 20:08
I think the Proton rally car would be too short to conform to NGTC regulations.

F1boat
16th February 2011, 20:36
Just to say that I watched the Knockville races from 2010 and I am a fan now. What an amazing series, that's absolutely brilliant stuff - a lot of cars, great track, great driving. I am very, very impressed!!!

UltimateDanGTR
16th February 2011, 21:05
Just to say that I watched the Knockville races from 2010 and I am a fan now. What an amazing series, that's absolutely brilliant stuff - a lot of cars, great track, great driving. I am very, very impressed!!!

I adivse you watch as many races as possible...in the last couple of years, 95% of the races have seen brilliant battles somewhere in the field, if not all the way through. For exciting motor racing, you can't beat it! Clearly, your conversion after only 3 races proves that :)

And I think 2011 will be even better.

F1boat
16th February 2011, 21:54
For sure I am gonna watch more races! About the new season, I read in Autosport that there will be 10 different cars in the new season? Amazing!

BTCC2
16th February 2011, 22:26
For sure I am gonna watch more races! About the new season, I read in Autosport that there will be 10 different cars in the new season? Amazing!

It will indeed, 10 manufacturers and 11 models

Vauxhall Vectra
SEAT Leon
BMW 320si
Ford Focus
Honda Civic
Volkswagen Golf
Audi A4
Chevrolet Cruze
Proton Gen 2
Honda Integra
Toyota Avensis

F1boat
17th February 2011, 07:12
This sounds amazing... most touring car or rally series have two or three models... the variety is one of the things I liked in the races I saw.

Robinho
17th February 2011, 13:18
the best part of the variety IMO is that there are several capable fo running at the front i the right hands. I'd say that the:

Vectra
BMW
Leon
Civic
Focus
Cruze

are all likely race winners this year and depending on how the NGTC whole package compares that could appear near the fonrt in the right hands

Alfa Fan
17th February 2011, 16:12
Nick Leason is working on a deal to return to the championship this year in an NGTC car.

VkmSpouge
17th February 2011, 18:57
I hope Nick Leason can secure the funding but I'm not going to hold my breath.

F1boat
17th February 2011, 20:13
I watched three more races - from Brands Hatch - all very cool!

Alfa Fan
18th February 2011, 16:26
Harry Vaulkhard back with Bamboo and a pair of Chevrolet Lacetti's! Did not see that one coming.

Allyc85
18th February 2011, 17:30
Nor me!

Will the S2000 engine be allowed in the WTCC next year or is it straight into 1.6t and Bamboo have effectively been forced out?

Alfa Fan
18th February 2011, 17:41
Can still use S2000 in WTCC this year. I assume you meant this year? Can't use it in 2012 (next year)

Allyc85
18th February 2011, 19:16
Ah yea, I really do need to check my posts before I submit lol

BDunnell
19th February 2011, 00:48
Well, it's certainly going to be a big grid, which is impressive in these straitened times. But is it a high-quality one? I'm not altogether sure. With the two Focus teams and the possible Bamboo Lacettis, there are more non-current cars than I'd personally like. And I fear, though I hope very much to be proved wrong, that the NGTC Toyotas and Audis, to say nothing of the Protons, will form a 'second division' much as the three new F1 teams did last year.

Sabri Mutlu
19th February 2011, 01:40
Hello, are you returned Erkut Kizilirmak 2011 ????

Techspeed

JAG going into administration can't have helped finances, just ending this season has been a struggle. Will need major new financial backing to return in 2011. Martyn Bell's return from injury could see the team continue to be represented.

Possible 1-3 x TBA (O'Neill? George? Bell? Kizilirmak?)

c8nay
19th February 2011, 02:44
....With the two Focus teams and the possible Bamboo Lacettis, there are more non-current cars than I'd personally like. And I fear, though I hope very much to be proved wrong, that the NGTC Toyotas and Audis, to say nothing of the Protons, will form a 'second division' much as the three new F1 teams did last year.

Team AON's Focus will be the latest version according to BTCC.net and the others aren't exactly ancient, I don't think either the BTCC or the STCC has suffered too much because of some of the even older cars that have been used in the past. The NGTC cars won't win the title this year that's fair to say, but it's hard to predict whether they might have advantages in some areas (like the new bigger wheels and RWD) that get them into points positions on merit by season end.

VkmSpouge
19th February 2011, 18:33
Hello, are you returned Erkut Kizilirmak 2011 ????

I would like Erkut Kizilirmak to return, he was one of my favourite drivers in 2007-08.

DazzlaF1
19th February 2011, 22:31
This could be amazing, here's how it could turn out (a best case scenario)

CHEVROLET: 2 Cars (not yet announced but they should be there)
DYNAMICS HONDA: 2 Cars (Matt Neal, Gordon Shedden)
SPECIAL TUNING SEAT: 4 Cars (Tom Boardman + 3 others possible)
MOTORBASE FORD: 3 Cars (Mat Jackson, Liam Griffin + one other possible)
ARENA FORD: 2 Cars (Tom Chilton + one other)
EUROTECH VAUXHALL: 2 Cars (Andrew Jordan, Jeff Smith)
ROB AUSTIN AUDI: 2 Cars (Drivers not yet known)
BAMBOO CHEVROLET: 2 Cars (Harry Vaulkhard + one other)
TRIPLE EIGHT VAUXHALL: 2 Cars (James Nash, Tony Gilham)
WEST SURREY BMW: 2 Cars (Drivers not yet known)
AMD MILLTEK VOLKSWAGEN: 1 Car (Shaun Hollamby)
DYNOJET TOYOTA: 1 Car (Frank Wrathall)
SPEEDWORKS TOYOTA: 1 Car (Tony Hughes)
WELCH PROTON: 1 Car (Daniel Welch)
WOOD HONDA: 1 Car (Lea Wood)

And this is not including the likes of Techspeed (possible 2 cars), Forster (1 car) or Boulevard (1 car) so potentially...

NUMBER OF CARS: A potentially incredible 32
NUMBER OF REPRESENTED MANUFACTURERS: 10 (Chevrolet, Honda, SEAT, Ford, Vauxhall, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen, Toyota, Proton) And I beleive that would be a new BTCC record since it became a single formula

So with the NGTC rules becoming so popular, there could there be a possibility of the championship for the first time ever to become over-subscribed

Alfa Fan
20th February 2011, 02:13
Arena plan to run 3. Chilton + Neate + AN Other
Expect Collard at WSR, probably joined by Nick Jones
Plato & McDowall back at Chevvy
Breeze & Houseman expected alongside Boardman at Special Tuning
Chris James is entering a Lacetti (not Bamboo)
Rob Hedley expected to join Hughes at Speedworks

VkmSpouge
20th February 2011, 04:11
Chris James, he's done the Mini Challenge like Martin Depper, right? And Nick Jones is from the Welsh Sports & Saloon Car Championship? Big steps up for both drivers if those rumours run true.

m0rk
20th February 2011, 11:44
But is it a high-quality one? I'm not altogether sure.

You've summed it up here. It'll be like amateur hour I fear :(

I hope not, but rapidly turning into budget silhouette racing, which I can't see the manufacturers really buying into.

DazzlaF1
20th February 2011, 21:31
You've summed it up here. It'll be like amateur hour I fear :(

I hope not, but rapidly turning into budget silhouette racing, which I can't see the manufacturers really buying into.

Well if the new rules provide more great racing, that will mean more bums on seats at the tracks, higher viewing numbers and more exposure for their product.

Thats what the Manufacturers will likely buy into most of all especially in the current financial climate, and with the cheaper rules package, then hell, they could even afford to run 2 top drivers on a salary and still turn a profit from it all.

Sure the criticisms of "too many amateur drivers" will crop up but didnt people have the same argument when the Supertouring regulations were implemented in 1991? Plus these so called "amateur drivers" are no slouches, as Martin Johnson has proven in antiquated machinery over the last 2 years.

BDunnell
21st February 2011, 08:57
Sure the criticisms of "too many amateur drivers" will crop up but didnt people have the same argument when the Supertouring regulations were implemented in 1991?

I agree with that — and, in what many would consider to have been the 'golden age' prior to that, namely the days of the Sierra Cosworths, the majority of drivers on the grid were probably non-professionals.

Alfa Fan
21st February 2011, 14:07
Expect Collard at WSR, probably joined by Nick Jones

I did of course mean Nick Foster here, which has now been confirmed!

RMLCruzeing82
23rd February 2011, 14:43
any one know what going on with Silverline Chevrolet and plato and McDowell?

Allyc85
23rd February 2011, 16:08
Geoff Steel Racing will return to the BTCC with 2 BMWs and may use a turbo charged engine!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89623

jackmarsh
23rd February 2011, 18:08
Another Lacetti for Chris James!!

Big old grid!!

VkmSpouge
23rd February 2011, 18:53
I wish Chris James and Team ES Racing good luck, it is a heck of a set-up from the Mini Challenge http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/2011/02/23/chris-james-enters-btcc-with-lacetti/

And I hope Geoff Steel and Martyn Bell are able to fill the two BMWs they have, shame Bell won't be in one.

DazzlaF1
23rd February 2011, 21:37
Another Lacetti for Chris James!!

Big old grid!!

Big Indeed, here's how i've got it so far

SPECIAL TUNING UK - SEAT LEON: Tom Boardman, ???, ???, ??? (Carl Breeze rumoured to have one of the drives)
MOTORBASE PERFORMANCE - FORD FOCUS ST: Mat Jackson, Liam Griffin, ???
CHEVROLET - CHEVROLET CRUZE: Jason Plato, Alex MacDowall (Not confirmed yet but it is sort of expected)
TEAM DYNAMICS - HONDA CIVIC TYPE R: Matt Neal, Gordon Shedden
ARENA MOTORSPORT - FORD FOCUS ST: Tom Chilton, ???
TEAM EUROTECH - VAUXHALL VECTRA: Andrew Jordan, Jeff Smith
ROB AUSTIN RACING - AUDI A4: ???, ???
BAMBOO ENGINEERING - CHEVROLET LACETTI: Harry Vaulkhard, ???
TRIPLE 8 ENGINEERING - VAUXHALL VECTRA: James Nash, Tony Gilham
WEST SURREY RACING - BMW 320si: Rob Collard, Nick Foster
GEOFF STEEL RACING - BMW 320si: ???, ???
AmD MILLTEK - VOLKSWAGEN GOLF: Shaun Hollamby
TEAM DYNOJET - TOYOTA AVENSIS: Frank Wrathall
SPEEDWORKS MOTORSPORT - TOYOTA AVENSIS: Tony Hughes
WELCH MOTORSPORT - PROTON GEN-2: Daniel Welch
TEAM WOOD - HONDA INTEGRA: Lea Wood
TEAM ES RACING - CHEVROLET LACETTI: Chris James

Now I make that a potentially staggering 31, yes THIRTY ONE cars, the biggest potential BTCC entry in over 20 years (With the likes of Techspeed still to announce their plans). What makes me even happier is the amount of teams intending to field multiple car entries.

At this rate, DNQ's might have to make a return with a danger of the championship becoming over-subscribed

jackmarsh
24th February 2011, 10:22
Does that bring into question the size of pits at any of the race tracks?

31 cars - surely there are some tracks that cannot facilitate that amount?

I would also say there is a 3rd AON car on the way, but also not sure whether 4 SEATS will get out?

UltimateDanGTR
24th February 2011, 14:44
There's a lot of S2000 equipment being used this year, as it is ofcourse its final year in use in the UK so everyone is making the most of it, probably bought for cheap prices. I suspect if we do see four Seats, if one gets wrecked beyond repair we wont see a replacement, it would be pointless with the formula being phased out.

Alfa Fan
24th February 2011, 14:53
It's not the final year of S2000, that isn't until at least 2013.

UltimateDanGTR
24th February 2011, 17:37
It's not the final year of S2000, that isn't until at least 2013.

Ah, silly me, I've just checked the interweb and you're right. Goodness knows why I thought otherwise (insert facepalm here maybe? :) )

DazzlaF1
25th February 2011, 20:08
In this weeks Autosport (a little snippet on page 23), Tom Boardman said that even though Special Tuning have 4 SEAT Leon's, they are likely to run just 2 of them

AndySpeed
28th February 2011, 17:26
The new Arena Focus has broken cover:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89671

I find it surprising that they've decided to go down the S2000 route though. Perhaps to increase the resaleability of the car? Or is it a Ford-driven thing that its built to the outgoing regulations in the BTCC?

Alfa Fan
28th February 2011, 17:32
It's been known it would be S2000 for months. It's not really that new a car is why its S2000.

Eurotech
28th February 2011, 18:43
I keep hearing that Chris James' Chevy Lacetti, is an ex-Scandinavian car and not one of RML origin. Does anyone know what this means? (cos I thought all S2000 Lacetti's were built by RML) and what is the difference?

VkmSpouge
28th February 2011, 18:56
All the S2000 Lacettis are built by RML, I think the article simply means it is not one of the three Lacettis that RML ran in the BTCC in 2009.

Mr. Mister
28th February 2011, 23:10
Anything on Kane or Onslow-Cole? I've read neither have any chance at their 2010 rides, but when you consider they both out-classified their teammates last year, it would be a big shame to lose them, especially with Griffin and Neate in their seats.

That grievance aside, I'm really liking how this grid is shaping up. Thanks all for the updates; not much BTCC coverage here in the U.S., though I try to watch the races live.

Alfa Fan
1st March 2011, 22:07
Why has Harry Vaulkhard been testing a Ginetta G50?

Alfa Fan
2nd March 2011, 16:44
2011 announcement and new website coming soon

Andy Neate's website. It's a recent change. Guess we'll be finding out about Arena's line-up soon!

jackmarsh
7th March 2011, 08:02
Will be all sorted out shortly!

BTCC2
7th March 2011, 22:29
2011 announcement and new website coming soon

Andy Neate's website. It's a recent change. Guess we'll be finding out about Arena's line-up soon!

Worst kept secret of this off season I think :p

PDS
7th March 2011, 23:42
Worst kept secret of this off season I think :p

Their Third Driver?

Alfa Fan
7th March 2011, 23:48
I expect the rest of the driver line-up to be confirmed on Wednesday before they start testing the new shape Focus.

I also expect we will know the details of Chevrolet's entry before this week is out.

BTCC2
8th March 2011, 01:36
Their Third Driver?

Who Team Aon's? I don't think we'll see more than 2 cars.

Alfa Fan
8th March 2011, 01:53
I do :)

BTCC2
8th March 2011, 10:33
I do :)

From Round 1?

More chance of seeing a 3rd Airwaves Ford than Team Aon I reckon.

Alfa Fan
8th March 2011, 12:34
From round 1. We'll definitely see a 3rd Motorbase car.

Alfa Fan
8th March 2011, 16:17
I expect the rest of the driver line-up to be confirmed on Wednesday before they start testing the new shape Focus.

I also expect we will know the details of Chevrolet's entry before this week is out.

Chevrolet news now on BTCC.Net.

AndySpeed
9th March 2011, 10:47
Paul O'Neill and John George testing last year's Chevrolet Cruze... interesting!

Alfa Fan
9th March 2011, 12:13
MN have an exclusive today that the deal is done and O'Neill/George will be racing Techspeed/Sunshine Cruze's this year!

Eurotech
9th March 2011, 16:17
Wow really?!? Thats amazing... can't wait to see them in the Cruze's this year!!!

PDS
9th March 2011, 22:03
MN have an exclusive today that the deal is done and O'Neill/George will be racing Techspeed/Sunshine Cruze's this year!

MN may think they have an exclusive. When I spoke to Sandra today she insisted it is NOT Officially Confirmed YET!

Another case of MN jumping the gun, Again.

Eurotech
9th March 2011, 22:13
Its so exclusive, not even Tech-Speed knew it....

AndySpeed
9th March 2011, 22:31

When their newspaper only comes out once a week and they're having to compete with the internet, it's not really that surprising if they've "filled in a few blanks" to complete the story is it?

Alfa Fan
9th March 2011, 23:02
MN may think they have an exclusive. When I spoke to Sandra today she insisted it is NOT Officially Confirmed YET!

Strange. Very strange. The article has quotes from Paul too... is he jumping the gun as well?

"I know I have a car to challenge for race wins, and if I can do that then the championship will look after itself."
"This will be the first time in more than five years that I have been in a contemporary car, so I have to expect to improve my results. I scored three podium finishes last season but wins are a realistic target now. I'm still slightly worried about the pace of the turbo cars, but we have a great car in the Cruze that has proved its pedigree by winning the title. I can't ask for much more".

DazzlaF1
9th March 2011, 23:04
Well if its true, then counting all the other rumours, the championship would be oversubscribed for some circuits, I make it 33 cars provisionally (18 teams, 10 manufacturers, 12 different models of car)

Alfa Fan
10th March 2011, 00:17
Its not quite that many..

1. Jason Plato Chevrolet Cruze
2. Alex McDowall Chevrolet Cruze
3. Matt Neal Honda Civic
4. Gordon Shedden Honda Civic
5. Tom Chilton Ford Focus
6. Andy Neate Ford Focus
7. Rob Collard BMW 320SI
8. Nick Foster BMW 320SI
9. Mat Jackson Ford Focus
10. Liam Griffin Ford Focus
11. James Nash Vauxhall Vectra
12. Tony Gilham Vauxhall Vectra
13. Tom Boardman SEAT Leon
14. TBA SEAT Leon
15. Andy Jordan Vauxhall Vectra
16. Jeff Smith Vauxhall Vectra
17. Harry Vaulkhard Chevrolet Lacetti
18. TBA Chevrolet Lacetti
19. Dave Newsham BMW 320SI
20. Tony Hughes Toyota Avensis
21. Frank Wrathall Toyota Avensis
22. TBA Audi A4
23. TBA Audi A4
24. Shaun Hollamby VW Golf
25. Chris James Chevrolet Lacetti
26. Lea Wood Honda Integra
27. Paul O'Neill Chevrolet Cruze
28. John George Chevrolet Cruze
29. Dan Welch Proton Gen-2

PDS
10th March 2011, 00:31
Strange. Very strange. The article has quotes from Paul too... is he jumping the gun as well?

Paul didn't write the story!

I'm not disputing whether the story is true or not. Personally, I think it is great news for Techspeed and their drivers. Paul O'Neill finally has a car where he can compete at the front.

All I am saying is that according to the team and the story on BTCC.Net it has not officially been confirmed..

Alfa Fan
10th March 2011, 00:51
Paul didn't write the story!

Sorry I interpreted jumping the gun as "wrong". My mistake.

(That's not meant to sound sarcastic! Realised it might reading it back).

BTCC2
10th March 2011, 02:30
Michael Doyle to return...
Heard he's confident.

BTCC2
10th March 2011, 02:32
Its not quite that many..

1. Jason Plato Chevrolet Cruze
2. Alex McDowall Chevrolet Cruze
3. Matt Neal Honda Civic
4. Gordon Shedden Honda Civic
5. Tom Chilton Ford Focus
6. Andy Neate Ford Focus
7. Rob Collard BMW 320SI
8. Nick Foster BMW 320SI
9. Mat Jackson Ford Focus
10. Liam Griffin Ford Focus
11. James Nash Vauxhall Vectra
12. Tony Gilham Vauxhall Vectra
13. Tom Boardman SEAT Leon
14. TBA SEAT Leon
15. Andy Jordan Vauxhall Vectra
16. Jeff Smith Vauxhall Vectra
17. Harry Vaulkhard Chevrolet Lacetti
18. TBA Chevrolet Lacetti
19. Dave Newsham BMW 320SI
20. Tony Hughes Toyota Avensis
21. Frank Wrathall Toyota Avensis
22. TBA Audi A4
23. TBA Audi A4
24. Shaun Hollamby VW Golf
25. Chris James Chevrolet Lacetti
26. Lea Wood Honda Integra
27. Paul O'Neill Chevrolet Cruze
28. John George Chevrolet Cruze
29. Dan Welch Proton Gen-2

Could be wrong as i'm really starting to lose track but didn't GSR state they'd be running 2 cars?

BTCC2
10th March 2011, 02:35
Geoff Steel Racing is planning to return to the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship in 2011 with a pair of BMWs.

The Lincolnshire team has acquired two BMWs raced in recent seasons by the Motorbase squad.

The team is currently in talks with a number of experienced drivers to fill the two seats.

That would make 30. The possibility of 2 more Ford's would then take us to the maximum...

Alfa Fan
10th March 2011, 02:36
Initially that seemed to be the plan but the announcement of Newsham made no reference to any other drivers to come so I've left it off for now.

Alfa Fan
10th March 2011, 02:40
Michael Doyle to return...
Heard he's confident.

All he's said is his future is looking promising or something to that effect? Read it on another forum somewhere earlier.

BTCC2
10th March 2011, 03:43
All he's said is his future is looking promising or something to that effect? Read it on another forum somewhere earlier.

Yeah having re-read it, it's far less of a hint than i'd first taken it as.

Alfa Fan
10th March 2011, 14:56
I've heard that the announcement of Motorbase's 3rd driver is imminent. Could come tomorrow.

Eurotech
10th March 2011, 16:04
I'm loving this talk of the championship getting a potential 30+ entries this year, remember back to Thruxton 2005?

2. Yvan Muller - VXRacing - Vauxhall Astra
5. Matt Neal - Team Halfords - Honda Integra
6. Colin Turkington - VXRacing - Vauxhall Astra
8. Dan Eaves - Team Halfords - Honda Integra
9. Tom Chilton - Arena Motorsport - Honda Civic
10. James Kaye - Syncro Motorsport - Honda Civic
11. Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
12. James Pickford - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
21. Rob Collard - WSR - MG ZS
57. Luke Hines - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
88. Gavin Smith - VXRacing - Vauxhall Astra

That was the complete entry list. Yes, 11 Cars.

Torg22
10th March 2011, 16:24
Yep, quite a contrast. The amount of cars taking part in the last few seasons has been pretty healthly but the interest that has been show on the run up to the 2011 season is just crazy. Dont think ive looked forward to the start of a BTCC season as much since 1995!

VkmSpouge
10th March 2011, 19:04
I'm loving this talk of the championship getting a potential 30+ entries this year, remember back to Thruxton 2005?

2. Yvan Muller - VXRacing - Vauxhall Astra
5. Matt Neal - Team Halfords - Honda Integra
6. Colin Turkington - VXRacing - Vauxhall Astra
8. Dan Eaves - Team Halfords - Honda Integra
9. Tom Chilton - Arena Motorsport - Honda Civic
10. James Kaye - Syncro Motorsport - Honda Civic
11. Jason Plato - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
12. James Pickford - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
21. Rob Collard - WSR - MG ZS
57. Luke Hines - SEAT Sport UK - SEAT Toledo
88. Gavin Smith - VXRacing - Vauxhall Astra

That was the complete entry list. Yes, 11 Cars.

2005 was a strangely low ebb for the championship, I never could think of a fundamental reason why there were so few entries.

Allyc85
10th March 2011, 19:11
What happens if we do get too many entries, do we have pre-qualifying or are the entries all considered 1 by 1 and they are selected by the BTCC?

Eurotech
10th March 2011, 20:40
I remember the Clio Cup was over subscribed a few years back and they had to 'qualify' for the event (ie the slowest cars from qualifying wouldn't be in race.) And those who didn't qualify would become reserve entries and would be allwed in if one of the other cars couldn't race for some reason...

BTCC2
10th March 2011, 20:45
There will be no pre-qualifying...The entries will be capped at 32.

Iain
10th March 2011, 21:03
That's the fairest way to do it, saves a wasted journey for anyone. Back in 2002 it was oversubscribed at times with the Production class also being there. The best example I can think of was at Knockhill with it's (in those days) 28 car limit. Gavin Pyper qualified, but wasn't guaranteed a slot on the grid as he was a late entry at round two Oulton Park, so was only on reserve. Jim Edwards Jnr failed to take his place on the grid, so Pyper replaced him.

Allyc85
10th March 2011, 21:30
So its just which ever 32 gets in there first I guess :)

Alfa Fan
11th March 2011, 17:01
Rumours have Mark Hazell as STR's 2nd driver

Allyc85
11th March 2011, 18:21
Who?

speedy king
11th March 2011, 18:38
Thats what i'm thinking to most of these drivers names!!! Although wasn't Hazell in Porsches??? No??

Allyc85
11th March 2011, 18:56
Ah yea, now I know the name! bit of info..

DOB 11/10/1959
Nationality - British
Lives – Llanhennock, Monmouthshire
Occupation – Managing director
2008 - ELF Renault Clio Cup, with a best finish of 17th at Donington Park
2007 - No racing
2006 - Part-season in Porsche Carrera Cup finishing 18th overall and 9th in pro-am category, with a best result of 8th at Thruxton with three other top-10 finishes
1999 - MGF Cup finishing 6th overall
1997 - Vectra Sri V6 Challenge in support of BTCC
1993 - Formula Ford Championship, finishing 6th overall

AndySpeed
11th March 2011, 20:07
Occupation – Managing director

Seems to be a fairly important requirement for a lot of people entering the BTCC these days it seems!

Alfa Fan
11th March 2011, 20:25
Certainly helps. Motorsport has always been a rich man sport. At every level. I know you complain about pay drivers, but show me a driver on the grid in any series, anywhere in the world, who hasn't been a pay driver at some point in their career?

BDunnell
11th March 2011, 21:11
Certainly helps. Motorsport has always been a rich man sport. At every level. I know you complain about pay drivers, but show me a driver on the grid in any series, anywhere in the world, who hasn't been a pay driver at some point in their career?

Not least in the BTCC, going back a long way. I think we were rather spoiled in the 1990s, to be honest, with all those international superstars and ex-F1 drivers. What we're going to see in 2011 is far more what a British tin-top driver line-up was like years ago, with a good selection of top-class British drivers augmented by a clutch of 'gentleman racers', people moving up/over from other roofed formulae, and some younger hopefuls. In itself, there's nothing wrong with that.

DazzlaF1
11th March 2011, 21:50
I remember the Clio Cup was over subscribed a few years back and they had to 'qualify' for the event (ie the slowest cars from qualifying wouldn't be in race.) And those who didn't qualify would become reserve entries and would be allwed in if one of the other cars couldn't race for some reason...

What they actually did was they split the entire field into 2 groups and made both groups take part in short qualifying sprint races (no points were awarded in these qualifying races), those 2 races decided the 32 car field for each main event

But im sure BTCC2 is correct, the Entry list will be capped at 32 because of certain tracks limitations, the likes of Croft, Brands Hatch and Knockhill can only take a maximum of 32 for each race because of a mixture of 2 reasons. Circuit length and Facilities. Unlike some tracks where they can take more cars, Silverstone for example is more than capable of catering for 40+ cars

mattie007
12th March 2011, 12:46
If for example WSR and motorbase register 3 cars but only run 2, does this stop others entering? What Im trying to say, is the cap 32 entries or 32 cars?

Eurotech
12th March 2011, 14:30
They'll probably have to decide it on a 'race by race' basis, having a waiting list system like Le Mans so if someone drops out or doesn't run a car, their place will be given to someone else in the run up to the event....

DazzlaF1
12th March 2011, 16:35
They'll probably have to decide it on a 'race by race' basis, having a waiting list system like Le Mans so if someone drops out or doesn't run a car, their place will be given to someone else in the run up to the event....

The easiest solution would be to re-introduce DNQ'ing, that way you could cater for more than 32 cars on a weekend but only allowing the fastest 32 to race.

But that I do not think is possible logistically

Alfa Fan
12th March 2011, 17:03
There will be 32 entries max. IF and it's a big IF and not going to happen this season, more than 32 cars are registered then from 33 onwards they form a reserve list who will be able to participate on a round-by-round basis if some of the 32 drop out. But basically if someone doesn't get one of the 32 entries they'll go off and do something else. We won't need to worry about it this year though, there's not quite going to be a full grid.

UltimateDanGTR
12th March 2011, 23:12
Even though Alfa fan is probably right, its still wonderful to have to consider such an eventuality.

Alfa Fan
12th March 2011, 23:32
Even though Alfa fan is probably right, its still wonderful to have to consider such an eventuality.

If your doubting the entries thing, it's regulation 1.4.1 as of the 2010 regs (2011 haven't been released publically yet)

"All drivers, entrants, teams and manufacturers/constructors must register with TOCA for the Championship in accordance with Commercial Undertaking 6.5. The completed Registration Form with the Registration Fee must be received by the co-ordinator prior to 12 noon on Friday, February 26th, 2010. (Friday, February 25th, 2011. this year I believe). The Administrator has the right at his/her absolute discretion to accept or reject any registration for the Championship received after Monday, 26th February, 2010 (sic) upon such terms as he/she thinks fit. Applicants will be notified whether or not they have been accepted as enterants to the Championship by Friday, March 12th, 2010, to a maximum of 32."

So based on the time frames remaining the same this year, everyone found out whether they got their entries yesterday!!

BTCC2
13th March 2011, 00:52
If your doubting the entries thing, it's regulation 1.4.1 as of the 2010 regs (2011 haven't been released publically yet)

"All drivers, entrants, teams and manufacturers/constructors must register with TOCA for the Championship in accordance with Commercial Undertaking 6.5. The completed Registration Form with the Registration Fee must be received by the co-ordinator prior to 12 noon on Friday, February 26th, 2010. (Friday, February 25th, 2011. this year I believe). The Administrator has the right at his/her absolute discretion to accept or reject any registration for the Championship received after Monday, 26th February, 2010 (sic) upon such terms as he/she thinks fit. Applicants will be notified whether or not they have been accepted as enterants to the Championship by Friday, March 12th, 2010, to a maximum of 32."

So based on the time frames remaining the same this year, everyone found out whether they got their entries yesterday!!

Yes they have. Though they simply confirm what Alfa Fan has said.

All drivers, entrants, teams and manufacturers/constructors must register with TOCA for the
Championship in accordance with Commercial Undertaking 6.5. The completed Registration
Form with the Registration Fee must be received by the Co-ordinator prior to 12 noon on Friday,
February 25th 2011. The Administrator has the right at his/her absolute discretion to accept or
reject any registration for the Championship received after Monday, February 25th, 2011 upon
such terms as he/she thinks fit. Applicants will be notified whether or not they have been
accepted as entrants to Championship by Friday, March 11th, 2011, to a maximum of 32.
Drivers who are accepted into the Championship after Friday, March 11th, 2011, will be classified
as Late Registrations and may incur a 20 per cent entry fee surcharge at the Administrator’s
discretion.
Any subsequent change to an Entrant's registered car during the course of the Championship is by application to and approval of the Administrator.

Alfa Fan
13th March 2011, 01:16
Where's the 2011 ones posted?

BTCC2
13th March 2011, 02:06
Where's the 2011 ones posted?

http://www.btcc.net/pdf/regulations_2011.pdf

Alfa Fan
13th March 2011, 02:10
Nice find!

Interestingly the appear to confirm only a single BTC-Touring entry, as expected!

And that the Independents will carry some extra car markings this year.

UltimateDanGTR
13th March 2011, 15:31

When I said you were probably right, I was refering to your prediction that there would not be more than 32 cars planning to enter this season ;)

Alfa Fan
13th March 2011, 15:36
Ah ok, sorry misunderstood :)

Iain
13th March 2011, 15:58
Seems to be a fairly important requirement for a lot of people entering the BTCC these days it seems!

Quite an interesting point. Of all the confirmed entries so far, there are quite a few MDs, company owners or directors signed up.

Jeff Smith - Owner of Industrial Control Distributors
Liam Griffin - MD of Addison Lee
Shaun Hollamby - MD of AmD Essex
Dave Newsham - MD of Norscott Vending Services
Alex MacDowall - Director of ECM Vehicle Delivery Services
Tony Hughes - MD of Hughes Safety Showers
Rob Collard - MD of R.Collard Demolition
Nick Foster - Chairman of Countour Electronics
Chris James - MD of Electro-Services

Then you've got other people who are high up at companies such as Matt Neal being Group Marketing Director at Rimstock Plc, Andy Neate the Chief Technical Officer at Ceravision and even Jason Plato is a director at his marketing company Brand Pilot.

Like it's been said above, there are very few 100% professional drivers these days, but even in the 1990s, the drivers had outside business interests. John Cleland, Steve Soper and Jeff Allam the car dealers, Will Hoy the chartered surveyor, Tim Harvey was an estate agent and Rickard Rydell owned a florists!

If you're in a position at a company where you are able to support your racing, then fair play to them. :)

AndySpeed
14th March 2011, 12:44
Looking forward to an announcement from TOC soon. This from one of his sponsors:

"Cleaner Air Solutions are proud to once again be sponsors of Team AON driver Tom Onslow-Cole (http://www.tomonslowcole.com/) of the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) for the coming 2011 season."

Just in which team?

Alfa Fan
14th March 2011, 12:50
I suspect it's STR SEAT alongside Boardman, Hazell and Depper :D

BTCC2
14th March 2011, 12:52
Looking forward to an announcement from TOC soon. This from one of his sponsors:

"Cleaner Air Solutions are proud to once again be sponsors of Team AON driver Tom Onslow-Cole (http://www.tomonslowcole.com/) of the BTCC (British Touring Car Championship) for the coming 2011 season."

Just in which team?

Well he's been testing a SEAT Leon for STR today.

MattL
14th March 2011, 20:58
Quite an interesting point. Of all the confirmed entries so far, there are quite a few MDs, company owners or directors signed up.

Jeff Smith - Owner of Industrial Control Distributors
Liam Griffin - MD of Addison Lee
Shaun Hollamby - MD of AmD Essex
Dave Newsham - MD of Norscott Vending Services
Alex MacDowall - Director of ECM Vehicle Delivery Services
Tony Hughes - MD of Hughes Safety Showers
Rob Collard - MD of R.Collard Demolition
Nick Foster - Chairman of Countour Electronics
Chris James - MD of Electro-Services

Then you've got other people who are high up at companies such as Matt Neal being Group Marketing Director at Rimstock Plc, Andy Neate the Chief Technical Officer at Ceravision and even Jason Plato is a director at his marketing company Brand Pilot.

Like it's been said above, there are very few 100% professional drivers these days, but even in the 1990s, the drivers had outside business interests. John Cleland, Steve Soper and Jeff Allam the car dealers, Will Hoy the chartered surveyor, Tim Harvey was an estate agent and Rickard Rydell owned a florists!

If you're in a position at a company where you are able to support your racing, then fair play to them. :)

Nice post Iain - a mine of information as always!

Iain
15th March 2011, 04:19
Amazing what a spare ten minutes and Google can do!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

UltimateDanGTR
15th March 2011, 16:57
Rickard Rydell owned a florists!

shame he never won a big race at the old hockenheim then. he would have been known as the 'florist of the forest' or something similar.

sorry, that was irresistable.

Alfa Fan
16th March 2011, 12:37
MN report today that despite all the promises of 3 cars from Motorbase, the team has decided to concentrate on just running TWO!

Also Dave Pinkney is racing for Rob Austin's Audi team.

AndySpeed
16th March 2011, 15:15
Much like in previous years then! I feel a little deja-vu...

Eurotech
16th March 2011, 15:46
Also Dave Pinkney is racing for Rob Austin's Audi team.

Hang about, I thought Dave was taking a year out or something?

Alfa Fan
17th March 2011, 02:14
Judging by Tech-Speed Motorsport's website they are entering a pair of Chevrolet Lacetti's for Paul O'Neill and John George.

I wonder why they have been testing three times with the Cruze then :confused:

BTCC2
17th March 2011, 02:29
Judging by Tech-Speed Motorsport's website they are entering a pair of Chevrolet Lacetti's for Paul O'Neill and John George.

I wonder why they have been testing three times with the Cruze then :confused:

It's a mistake. Paul O'Neill has said on twitter today that he hopes to be in a Techspeed Cruze alongside John George.

Alfa Fan
17th March 2011, 13:04
Autosport link Tom Onslow-Cole to a drive at Arena/Aon again this season! Believe that one when I see it!!

O'Neill's entry seems to be pretty much confirmed now based on Twitter.

AndySpeed
17th March 2011, 13:30
Motorbase take heed from Team Dynamics - a good looking livery makes your team semm more professional, credible and nice on the eyes!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=158708670854234&set=a.158708630854238.32595.155336084524826&theater

BTCC2
17th March 2011, 13:37
Autosport link Tom Onslow-Cole to a drive at Arena/Aon again this season! Believe that one when I see it!!

Pffft...I'd love to see it happen but after last year I don't think he'd go there again. Hope i'm wrong though.

Alfa Fan
19th March 2011, 02:11
Can anyone shed any light on whats going on with Harry Vaulkhard? Over a month ago the announcement of his BTCC return was "imminent" but since then there's been silence. There's a suggestion they tested at Silverstone on Feb 28th, does anyone know if this happened?

DazzlaF1
19th March 2011, 22:39
Can anyone shed any light on whats going on with Harry Vaulkhard? Over a month ago the announcement of his BTCC return was "imminent" but since then there's been silence. There's a suggestion they tested at Silverstone on Feb 28th, does anyone know if this happened?

I can only presume that Bamboo will announce it on Media Day

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 03:02
Interesting list on BTCC net

Ben Collins
Martin Depper
Arthur Forster
Fabrizio Giovanardi
Phillip Glew
Matt Hamilton
Martin Johnson
Steven Kane
James Kaye
Daniel Lloyd
Tom Onslow-Cole
Sam Tordoff

It appears to be a complete list of the drivers who raced in BTCC 2010 that do not currently have drives this year. Curious.

BTCC2
20th March 2011, 15:30
Interesting list on BTCC net

Ben Collins
Martin Depper
Arthur Forster
Fabrizio Giovanardi
Phillip Glew
Matt Hamilton
Martin Johnson
Steven Kane
James Kaye
Daniel Lloyd
Tom Onslow-Cole
Sam Tordoff

It appears to be a complete list of the drivers who raced in BTCC 2010 that do not currently have drives this year. Curious.

What's curious about it? We know that all of the above drivers don't have seats as it stands.

BTCC2
20th March 2011, 15:31
Big announcement from Tom Onslow-Cole tomorrow morning...

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 15:32
What's curious about it? We know that all of the above drivers don't have seats as it stands.

It's more by elimination who then DOES have seats! And Not all of the them are known! :D

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 15:33
Well from this team :P

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 15:33
Big announcement from Tom Onslow-Cole tomorrow morning...

Well from his team :P

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 15:40
JL SameDay will be sponsoring Dave Pinkney in the BTCC this year http://www.jlsameday.com/index.php?pagename=About%20Us

Allyc85
20th March 2011, 15:41
Anything to do with this?

http://www.gridstars.co.uk/events/gs10

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 15:46
I believe thats part of the deal. The winner will race with TOC at the event after the end of the BTCC season, the competition will be promoted through Tom's BTCC entry.

PDS
20th March 2011, 19:15
JL SameDay will be sponsoring Dave Pinkney in the BTCC this year http://www.jlsameday.com/index.php?pagename=About%20Us

They certainly did last year..

Alfa Fan
20th March 2011, 23:58
Someone's edited Wikipedia to say that Tom Onslow-Cole will be racing the AmD Golf instead of Shuan Hollamby.

A whois search on the IP says its Jamie Patrick McGee from Slough, whoever he is!

MrJan
21st March 2011, 10:15
Confirmed! http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2288

BDunnell
21st March 2011, 11:00
Blimey. Full marks to AmD for pulling that one off. I still think it's a pity that Onslow-Cole, who I think has developed into one of the best young touring car drivers of all, hasn't been able to get a seat in a top team, but it will be fascinating to see how he performs in the Golf.

I am evil Homer
21st March 2011, 11:25
Indeed...he should be at a top team but I guess he's seens potential. Encouraging quotes from Hollamby too about how this isn't an ego trip for him but a serious base from which to build a BTCC team. I'll be cheering them on.

MrJan
21st March 2011, 11:39
Blimey. Full marks to AmD for pulling that one off. I still think it's a pity that Onslow-Cole, who I think has developed into one of the best young touring car drivers of all, hasn't been able to get a seat in a top team, but it will be fascinating to see how he performs in the Golf.

In a way it'll be nice to see a quick driver in a 'tail end' car. All too often we get an interesting new car into the series but only to be driven by a mediocre or 'cheque-book' racer. AmD are good for the sport, as is getting another type of car on the grid, so I really hope that TOC can get them up the table and attracting some good sponsorship in...even if I don't actually like the bloke much.

AndySpeed
21st March 2011, 12:13
Really pleased to see TOC in a drive this season. I'm equally pleased that for once we have someone putting a proven driver in their car, rather than just using their funds to keep them going around and around. Top move from Shaun! :up:

DazzlaF1
21st March 2011, 13:58
OK, Here's How I see it now

2 Car Teams
RML SILVERLINE - CHEVROLET CRUZE: Jason Plato, Alex MacDowall
ARENA MOTORSPORT - FORD FOCUS ST: Tom Chilton, ??????
MOTORBASE PERFORMANCE - FORD FOCUS ST: Mat Jackson, Liam Griffin
TECHSPEED MOTORSPORT- CHEVROLET CRUZE: Paul O'Neill, John George
TRIPLE EIGHT ENGINEERING- VAUXHALL VECTRA: James Nash, Tony Gilham
EUROTECH/TEAM PIRTEK - VAUIXHALL VECTRA: Andrew Jordan, Jeff Smith
SPECIAL TUNING UK - SEAT LEON TFSI: Tom Boardman, ??????
GEOFF STEEL RACING - BMW 320si: Dave Newsham, ??????
ROB AUSTIN RACING - AUDI A4: David Pinkney, ??????
BAMBOO ENGINEERING - CHEVROLET LACETTI: ??????, ??????

1 Car Teams
AmD MILLTEK - VOLKSWAGEN GOLF: Tom Onslow-Cole
TEAM WOOD - HONDA INTEGRA TYPE R: Lea Wood
DYNOJET - TOYOTA AVENSIS: Frank Wrathall
SPEEDWORKS - TOYOTA AVENSIS: Tony Hughes

Now thats 30 cars with only Daniel Welch and his Proton not doing the full season, the amount of teams intending to run 2 cars is a great sign

Alfa Fan
21st March 2011, 14:10
OK, Here's How I see it now

2 Car Teams
RML SILVERLINE - CHEVROLET CRUZE: Jason Plato, Alex MacDowall
ARENA MOTORSPORT - FORD FOCUS ST: Tom Chilton, Andy Neate + ANOTHER
MOTORBASE PERFORMANCE - FORD FOCUS ST: Mat Jackson, Liam Griffin
TECHSPEED MOTORSPORT- CHEVROLET CRUZE: Paul O'Neill, John George
TRIPLE EIGHT ENGINEERING- VAUXHALL VECTRA: James Nash, Tony Gilham
EUROTECH/TEAM PIRTEK - VAUIXHALL VECTRA: Andrew Jordan, Jeff Smith
SPECIAL TUNING UK - SEAT LEON TFSI: Tom Boardman, ?????? (+ Martin Depper)
GEOFF STEEL RACING - BMW 320si: Dave Newsham, ??????
ROB AUSTIN RACING - AUDI A4: David Pinkney, ??????
BAMBOO ENGINEERING - CHEVROLET LACETTI: Harry Vaulkhard (If Bamboo enter at all), ??????

1 Car Teams
AmD MILLTEK - VOLKSWAGEN GOLF: Tom Onslow-Cole
TEAM WOOD - HONDA INTEGRA TYPE R: Lea Wood
DYNOJET - TOYOTA AVENSIS: Frank Wrathall
SPEEDWORKS - TOYOTA AVENSIS: Tony Hughes

Now thats 30 cars with only Daniel Welch and his Proton not doing the full season, the amount of teams intending to run 2 cars is a great sign

Some slight amendments :)

Torg22
21st March 2011, 16:50
Jeez thats a healthy grid :)

Allyc85
21st March 2011, 17:26
Confirmed! http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2288

Bloody hell, fair play to AMD for pulling off that one, I cant wait to seee how they get on with a proper engine and a top driver in the car!

DazzlaF1
21st March 2011, 20:15
Bloody hell, fair play to AMD for pulling off that one, I cant wait to seee how they get on with a proper engine and a top driver in the car!

At first, I was gobsmacked but TOC must have seen some great potential in that team and the car to say yes to them, hopefully now we'll see the true potential of that VW. A few points finishes would be a cracking return.

BTCC2
22nd March 2011, 00:03
Lea Wood wont be doing the full season either.

DazzlaF1
22nd March 2011, 14:52
Ive been thinking about the Bamboo Chevy's, Eurosport said that their WTCC squad from Zolder onwards will be using 2 of last years Cruze's from the works team.

It makes me think about the 2 Lacetti's they used in Curitiba, if they do announce a BTCC program for Vaulkhard and <insert driver here> then could they be using those cars rather than those they used for the BTCC in 2009 and then possibly switching to Cruze's in 2012 like Techspeed have done this year?

AndySpeed
22nd March 2011, 20:50
If you like your BTCC cars pink it looks like you might have an exceptional season! Here's a sneak peek of Gilham's livery. Good to see a bit of colour making it onto the grid and it's far better than last season's boring 888 cars!

http://www.tonygilham.com/newsletters/btcc-launch/img-car-sample.gif

DazzlaF1
22nd March 2011, 21:08
If you like your BTCC cars pink it looks like you might have an exceptional season! Here's a sneak peek of Gilham's livery. Good to see a bit of colour making it onto the grid and it's far better than last season's boring 888 cars!

http://www.tonygilham.com/newsletters/btcc-launch/img-car-sample.gif

Pink and Pea Green, Those are the colours Tony Gilham has always raced in right through his stints in the Carrera Cup and VW Golf's. Id assume we'd also see James Nash's car in the same colours too. The 888 Vectra's will really stand out on the grid if they are both like that

Alfa Fan
22nd March 2011, 22:21
Nash's car will be in a different colour!

AndySpeed
22nd March 2011, 22:48
Nash's car will be in a different colour!

That it will. You've got to remember that most drivers have their personal sponsors and these days it's not that often that they will stretch to cover a second car.

Basically all four Vectra's will be in different colours this season, despite being from only two teams. Not ideal (I like a grid of team-mates and regular colour schemes) but there will be variety!

AndySpeed
22nd March 2011, 23:13
Given a touring car, what would you do with it??

VkmSpouge
23rd March 2011, 00:13
A picture of Gilham's Vauxhall decked out in the pink and green http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/2011/03/23/gilham-adds-a-splash-of-colour-to-2011-grid/

AndySpeed
23rd March 2011, 00:43
I would have had the same story up on my site sooner if I wasn't doing my laundry!

Good looking car :up:

Eurotech
23rd March 2011, 06:58
I prefered hit Porsche livery tbh, I'm not sure about the big blocks of colour :/

Alfa Fan
23rd March 2011, 13:31
Seems there's still a chance Harry Vaulkhard will be on the entry list tomorrow with Bamboo.

Torg22
23rd March 2011, 14:55
Tony Gilhams car looks ace. I dont know what it is exactly that i like about it but for me its a great livery!!

BTCC2
23rd March 2011, 17:36
Thorney Motorsport set to enter tomorrow with a pair of Vauxhalls in MN...anyone shed any light?

c8nay
23rd March 2011, 17:48
Thorney Motorsport? Well they have been quiet on the forums this off-season so never had any indication of what they may or may not be doing. Does it say what model? Have they been allowed to use those Astra Sports afterall?