PDA

View Full Version : Danica Patrick's influence on sports in general

Lee Roy
29th September 2010, 21:28
I was reading this article on the Lingerie Football League, when I read the following sentence:

"Look at Danica Patrick (NASCAR), Jennie Finch (softball) and Gabrielle Reese (volleyball) . What we wanted to create was a league of Danica Patricks."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/29/AR2010092904675.html?hpid=topnews

Jag_Warrior
30th September 2010, 20:07
Pretty much sums it up, IMO.

beachgirl
30th September 2010, 23:31
Pretty much sums it up, IMO.

Barf.

TURN3
1st October 2010, 02:00
Good post Lee Roy

Sparky1329
1st October 2010, 05:09
LFL games are not covered by local papers, and the league has been greeted with silence by groups like the Women's Sports Foundation, the nonprofit education and advocacy group founded by tennis great Billie Jean King. The foundation takes a dim view of exploitation of women athletes, of course, but "politely declines" comment on the LFL, said spokeswoman Aleia Naylor.

The article almost lost me at "(NASCAR's) Danica Patrick". Say what? Since when?

Anyway, I'm glad I continued on to page 2 where the above referenced snippet was worth my making it to page 2. An organization dedicated to the support and promotion of serious female athletes declines comment. In other words, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

I'm still trying to figure out who are the fools - the women who allow themselves to be exploited or the drooling fools who want to watch this crap.

call_me_andrew
1st October 2010, 06:10
I was reading this article on the Lingerie Football League, when I read the following sentence:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/29/AR2010092904675.html?hpid=topnews

You're omitting the context. The sentence is about finance. It's not Danica's fault that pretty female athletes make more money than their homely (yet equally talented) counterparts.

Mark in Oshawa
1st October 2010, 07:28
The article almost lost me at "(NASCAR's) Danica Patrick". Say what? Since when?

Anyway, I'm glad I continued on to page 2 where the above referenced snippet was worth my making it to page 2. An organization dedicated to the support and promotion of serious female athletes declines comment. In other words, if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing.

I'm still trying to figure out who are the fools - the women who allow themselves to be exploited or the drooling fools who want to watch this crap.

Well I think the Lingerie Football game is silly, but a good friend of mine is making a bit of coin playing in it, so I wont knock her or the game for that.

What I think is also true is many don't take Danica seriously if I read this right....

tstran17_88
2nd October 2010, 18:54
I'm still trying to figure out who are the fools - the women who allow themselves to be exploited or the drooling fools who want to watch this crap.There must be a market for it.

It's not hard to figure out why Hooter's does well. The food isn't bad, but there is much better out there.

(IMO, you want good wings, go the BW3's. You want to drool over attractive women, go to a gentleman's club. :D )

TURN3
2nd October 2010, 22:14
You're omitting the context. The sentence is about finance. It's not Danica's fault that pretty female athletes make more money than their homely (yet equally talented) counterparts.

The equally talented part confuses me. 99% of her male counterparts (and most of the female counterparts) are far, far more talented than her. But, you are correct, this isn't Danica's fault and she has just taken advantage of it. And, Mark is correct, I don't see how you can blame her for having done so. My big problem has always been that the media has continued to fan the fire long, long since she's been exposed as a fraud on the race track.

call_me_andrew
3rd October 2010, 01:53
There must be a market for it.

It's not hard to figure out why Hooter's does well. The food isn't bad, but there is much better out there.

(IMO, you want good wings, go the BW3's. You want to drool over attractive women, go to a gentleman's club. :D )

Let's also consider why beach volleyball is an Olympic sport.

http://www.strangesports.com/images/content/102110.jpg

Sparky1329
3rd October 2010, 05:09
There must be a market for it.

Thanks for proving my point.