PDA

View Full Version : Sickness while on track ??

new_racer
23rd September 2010, 18:05
Hello Everyone
I have recently started racing and have spent a couple of days on brands hatch track.
My experience on the track (in a saloon car) is that when I spend around 15 to 20 laps(5-7 laps, 10 mins break and again 5-7 laps), I start to feel vomiting soon with headache and then I need a break of good 30-60 mins before I can get back on track.
Other than track, I do drive a lot and never had this sort of problems.

I would like to know if anyone else had these problems on racetracks (or at least at the start of thier racing) ? is it normal ?
Is this something that can be impoved overtime ? I still like racing but if it continues like this, I may have to give up racing :( since I don't think I will survive even a 45 min race in this situation.

Any ideas/comments on this appreciated !

Thanks in advance

tannat
23rd September 2010, 19:34
I feel queasy as a passenger, but not as a driver on the track.

I'd go see your physician. Some sort of motion sickness meds should fix you right up :up:

new_racer
23rd September 2010, 20:01
I feel queasy as a passenger, but not as a driver on the track.

I'd go see your physician. Some sort of motion sickness meds should fix you right up :up:

thanks tannat for your reply... I have to add here, although I have these problems when I am driver but its worse when I am pessenger.

Easy Drifter
23rd September 2010, 23:40
I, on occassion, got sick when navigating in rallies but never as a driver, either racing or rallying.
However adding in the headaches I would be very suspicious that you are getting exhaust fumes into the car. That would account for the nausea and also headaches.
Otherwise it might possibly be an inner ear problem which a doctor could diagnose and hopefully cure.

F1boat
24th September 2010, 06:51
Go to a doctor! It''s likely nothing serious and can be cured, but in such cases, always go to a doctor.

Sonic
24th September 2010, 09:33
Hey newbie! It's not that uncommon - Especially at Brands with it's constant turns and elevation changes. My old man suffered from exactly the same thing when he joined me on track a few years back. He felt pretty rough in the passenger seat and worse still as the driver but the Doc was able to put him right.

Enjoy your racing!

donKey jote
24th September 2010, 22:07
happens to donkeys sometimes too :vomit:

libra65
25th September 2010, 00:32
Maybe the G Forces you are enduring are causing the stomach upset. If you are having any balance problems along with the nausea, call an ear, nose and throat doctor. Could be slight inner ear problem. Or, possibly excessive congestion draining from your sinuses to your stomach causing upset. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. Hope you clear it up fast.

Valve Bounce
25th September 2010, 01:41
Hello Everyone
I have recently started racing and have spent a couple of days on brands hatch track.
My experience on the track (in a saloon car) is that when I spend around 15 to 20 laps(5-7 laps, 10 mins break and again 5-7 laps), I start to feel vomiting soon with headache and then I need a break of good 30-60 mins before I can get back on track.
Other than track, I do drive a lot and never had this sort of problems.

I would like to know if anyone else had these problems on racetracks (or at least at the start of thier racing) ? is it normal ?
Is this something that can be impoved overtime ? I still like racing but if it continues like this, I may have to give up racing :( since I don't think I will survive even a 45 min race in this situation.

Any ideas/comments on this appreciated !

Thanks in advance

I competed in a race in Hebe Haven in a yacht, and when we got out into open water it was very choppy in a moderate breeze. I was sick as heck afterwards and all I had during the BBQ prizegiving (I won the race) was 8 cans of Coca Cola for my dinner.

I found that Coca Cola seemed to prevent the chundering.
I also used Coca Cola when I navigated for a friend in his Cortina.
Make sure if you go to a doctor that you explain that you are going to drive and any medication must not affect your driving/racing.

Tazio
25th September 2010, 01:56
I competed in a race in Hebe Haven in a yacht, and when we got out into open water it was very choppy in a moderate breeze. I was sick as heck afterwards and all I had during the BBQ prizegiving (I won the race) was 8 cans of Coca Cola for my dinner.

I found that Coca Cola seemed to prevent the chundering.
I also used Coca Cola when I navigated for a friend in his Cortina.
Make sure if you go to a doctor that you explain that you are going to drive and any medication must not affect your driving/racing.

I don't know if it's done anymore, but when I was a youngster 60's they sold Coca Cola syrup at the drugstore. That stuff worked a treat for nausea!

Did a quick search and found it.

http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=9654

donKey jote
25th September 2010, 17:14
yep... coke is my remedy when needed too :s

Easy Drifter
25th September 2010, 18:04
Back when Coke syrup was common and many stores used it to serve it in dispensers much like draft beer I worked in a grocery warehouse.
The Coke syrup came in gallon glass containers. Every now and then there would be a mess as one of the containers would spring a leak. Didn't crack or break just leak. The Coke was actually eating the glass like an acid!
I stopped drinking Coke.
Never had a problem with any other of the soft drink syrups.

Bob Riebe
25th September 2010, 19:11
I don't know if it's done anymore, but when I was a youngster 60's they sold Coca Cola syrup at the drugstore. That stuff worked a treat for nausea!

Did a quick search and found it.

http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=9654
Fascinating.

I just used up the last of a two-gallon carton of RC syrup I have had since 1977.
I kept it refrigerated in a sealed container and made my-self a glass of pop when ever I had charged water around.
Used to have similar carton of Coke syrup but that ran out a decade or so ago.
I used to work in a pop warehouse so I had easy access to syrups.

Steve Boyd
27th September 2010, 12:16
Back when Coke syrup was common and many stores used it to serve it in dispensers much like draft beer I worked in a grocery warehouse.
The Coke syrup came in gallon glass containers. Every now and then there would be a mess as one of the containers would spring a leak. Didn't crack or break just leak. The Coke was actually eating the glass like an acid!
I stopped drinking Coke.
Never had a problem with any other of the soft drink syrups.
Coke contains Phosphoric Acid - a great rust remover!

Mark in Oshawa
28th September 2010, 14:22
Getting sick in a race car? I can see it happening at a place like Brands on the short circuit in particular where you are turning AND going up and down almost all the time at the same time!

Mosport has done it to people on occasion apparently...and Easy may be able to relate to this since he had actually driven the joint in anger...but I think even at Mosport, other factors may be involved.

Best story was of one of the last 24 hour touring car races that was held, back when the SCCA Pro Racing people had their series. Ludwig Heimrath Sr. was driving a stint in his 944 in the middle of the night and apparently had one of the sandwiches that had the marshals sick at one point during the weekend from the track's canteen (hot weather and egg salad or tuna salad sandwiches can lead to issues). Ludwig kept turning his steady laps of 1:32 to 1: 33...but when he came in, he had a balaclava and helmet that was full of vomit...and on his lap....now how you can drive and toss your cookies an keep turning laps is a mystery to me...but apparently ole Ludwig kept doing it..and on the roller coaster that is Mosport in the middle of the night....

Easy Drifter
28th September 2010, 15:47
The food at Mosport has definetly improved since those days. I wouldn't eat it in the old days but it is pretty good now.Actually I would eat some but only what I could get in the tower, that was not generally available. Like from Harvey's office.I have never been sick when driving and Mosport never bothered me even in the rain,fog and darkness in the Sundown race.Navigating in a rally was another story. Quickly became a driver!

Arjuna
4th October 2010, 05:15
Perhaps, sickness when driving a race car are something related to harder suspension, never drive a race car but common car with dual suspension when it is set to race mode, suspension goes harder. Besides at the track means you are moving repeatedly at the same place.
Navigating or being passengers usually gives more sickness feeling vomit, moving on a moving object the more stream in the water, such as sailing or on speedboat gives more sickness.
I think practicing will solve the problem.

donKey jote
4th October 2010, 20:51
Coke contains Phosphoric Acid - a great rust remover!

Well your stomach contains hydrochloric acid - a great steel pickler ! :p