PDA

View Full Version : Lotus, Lotus and erm...Lotus

Robinho
22nd September 2010, 18:13
I was interested to see that Group Lotus and ART and joining forces in GP2 and GP3, that is the Lotus road car company owned by Malaysia's Proton, who will provide engineering support to ART and the Lotus name will be present as a result.

In the meantime the Lotus F1 team have apparently acquired the "Team Lotus" naming rights and logos for the F1 team to use. Lotus F1 have also tied up with an IRL team and will prduce an aero kit under the new rules next season, whilst Air Asia (Owned by Lotus F1's Tony Fernandes) are also entering a new GP2 team, so technically Lotus will have 2 presences in GP2 next year.

Then I read on Joe Sawards blog http://joesaward.wordpress.com/ that the Malaysian owned Lotus Group are starting legal action to get the Team Lotus name back and alludes to the ART tie up to be a route into F1 for ART and the actual Lotus group team. Confused yet? You will be!

Not sure where this one will end, as there can only be 1 Lotus team in F1, and I could see there being a tie up between Fernandes, Proton, Lotus Group, and ART. That could be a pretty strong team.

Discuss

Sonic
22nd September 2010, 20:13
I was interested to see that Group Lotus and ART and joining forces in GP2 and GP3, that is the Lotus road car company owned by Malaysia's Proton, who will provide engineering support to ART and the Lotus name will be present as a result.

In the meantime the Lotus F1 team have apparently acquired the "Team Lotus" naming rights and logos for the F1 team to use. Lotus F1 have also tied up with an IRL team and will prduce an aero kit under the new rules next season, whilst Air Asia (Owned by Lotus F1's Tony Fernandes) are also entering a new GP2 team, so technically Lotus will have 2 presences in GP2 next year.

Then I read on Joe Sawards blog http://joesaward.wordpress.com/ that the Malaysian owned Lotus Group are starting legal action to get the Team Lotus name back and alludes to the ART tie up to be a route into F1 for ART and the actual Lotus group team. Confused yet? You will be!

Not sure where this one will end, as there can only be 1 Lotus team in F1, and I could see there being a tie up between Fernandes, Proton, Lotus Group, and ART. That could be a pretty strong team.

Discuss

Discuss? My minds spinning! :eek:

Somebody
22nd September 2010, 22:25
I don't see what Group Lotus or ART could bring to Fernandes' team, to be honest, except more cooks.

It all hinges now on whether David Hunt still had the "Team Lotus" name to sell, or whether his trademark was "abandoned" through lack of use. If it was still valid, then Fernandes can laugh in Group Lotus/Proton's face, frankly.

CNR
23rd September 2010, 00:36
http://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2010/09/art-teams-up-with-lotus-motorsport/

What IF

ART Grand Prix buy in to (or buy) sauber f1

Group Lotus has announced that Lotus Motorsport will enter a partnership with multiple single-seater title winners ART Grand Prix.

jonny hurlock
23rd September 2010, 00:50
pure bonkers imo

ArrowsFA1
23rd September 2010, 08:26
Colin Chapman created numerous companies under the Lotus name - Lotus Engineering, Lotus Cars, Lotus Components, Lotus Racing, Team Lotus - so still rather confusing but when he was alive they all had one identity.

We all know the Lotus brand, as associated with Chapman & F1, is a very strong one with great history and, while it has been great to see the green & yellow colours of the 60's reappearing, the way it's being used is (IMHO) diluting the name because 1)it has no real association with the Team Lotus Chapman created and 2) its use seems to be pure marketing and little else.

I know the Chapman family have given their backing to the current F1 team, and Tony Fernandes has been very keen to build associations with the original Team Lotus (having Chapman's cap, and old Lotus cars in the factory for example) but it all seems a bit forced to me.

If it was clear that there was one Team Lotus in motorsport, and it had teams in a number of different series (as did Chapman), then the 'new' team might stand a better chance of establishing itself in my eyes. Until then the only true Team Lotus with connections to the original is Classic Team Lotus (http://www.classicteamlotus.co.uk/).

ArrowsFA1
23rd September 2010, 11:00
A battle over the rights to the Lotus name seems to be emerging...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-dispute-over-lotus-name/

Sonic
24th September 2010, 14:13
A battle over the rights to the Lotus name seems to be emerging...

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-dispute-over-lotus-name/

Deep, deep joy :(

Just what F1 needs. :down:

jens
25th September 2010, 17:06
-- Lotus F1 have also tied up with an IRL team and will prduce an aero kit under the new rules next season, --

Actually it is Group Lotus in IndyCar. So all in all at the moment we have got:

Group Lotus/Lotus Cars:
- IndyCar (as KV)
- GP2/GP3 (as ART)
- Exos Type 125 (F1-car built for ordinary people)

Lotus Racing/Team Lotus
- F1
- GP2 (AirAsia)
- WSR (Mofaz)

Anyway, I have to say my sympathy here belongs to Tony Fernandes. He has seemed to have a vision and put in a lot of effort to start resurrecting the old brand, which everyone seemed to have forgotten at least from the racing scene. Lotus Cars was nowhere to be seen, but after the actions of Tony they seem to have woken up and suddenly realized that "oh wait he has taken all our glory away and we need to fight against it" despite starting to sponsor the F1 team under the banner of Proton from the beginning of the season.

ArrowsFA1 may say that the "current Lotus" is not the "real thing", but if we think about it a bit... it's evident that car manufacturers keep changing ownerships (Jaguar was under Ford's management and now Tata's), likewise F1 teams. So all in all those changes are actually quite logical from time-to-time, even if some brands have disappeared from active presence for some time. Nobody says that the current MercedesGP isn't the real thing just because Alfred Neubauer isn't the team principal any more. I wonder whether some rich enthusiasts will decide to pump a lot of money into resurrecting some other famous racing brands in the future. :p : Well, like Bugatti, Maserati, etc. Maybe Fernandes has given an inspiration to someone.

Maybe the good news in all of that mess is that Lotus is once again gradually becoming a widely-recognized racing brand with both "Lotus owners" (sounds weird) pushing hard to make their point. Racing in all kinds of series certainly makes Lotus a formidable force. I wonder if anyone has LMS plans... In the end, who cares, who the owner is, name recognition counts. McLaren has said that they want to "become a Ferrari" in terms of racing heritage and sportscar production. Now Lotus has also mentioned their "Ferrari aspirations". Let them give a try.

maximilian
26th September 2010, 04:28
Anyway, I have to say my sympathy here belongs to Tony Fernandes. He has seemed to have a vision and put in a lot of effort to start resurrecting the old brand, which everyone seemed to have forgotten at least from the racing scene. Lotus Cars was nowhere to be seen, but after the actions of Tony they seem to have woken up and suddenly realized that "oh wait he has taken all our glory away and we need to fight against it" despite starting to sponsor the F1 team under the banner of Proton from the beginning of the season.

With you there. It seems a bit ridiculous that this logical alliance is being broken up, as both sides can benefit from each other's involvement. And really, what's the ultimate situation there? Lotus Group involved in GP2 and planning to move up to F1, and we have 2 Lotuses in F1? Come on... And Lotus in IndyCar won't technically have anything to do with Lotus in F1? That's bollocks.

By the way, what happened to the energy drink? The brand on the can on the car is replaced with a questionmark... so is the energy drink part of the Group? :p : It used to be called LR8, right? Lotus Racing = LR? So now that it's Team Lotus, they need to change that brand too, coz they can't use Lotus Racing anymore??

jens
26th September 2010, 09:49
By the way, what happened to the energy drink? The brand on the can on the car is replaced with a questionmark... so is the energy drink part of the Group? :p : It used to be called LR8, right? Lotus Racing = LR? So now that it's Team Lotus, they need to change that brand too, coz they can't use Lotus Racing anymore??

Interesting observation. :laugh: Perhaps we'll have two new energy drink brands soon - TL8 and GL8. :D After that they'll start a legal action, who is allowed to use number "8" in the name. :dozey: Wonder, what other products are they going to make!

Somebody
26th September 2010, 12:20
@jens - Maserati's owned by Ferrari, who are unlikely to want to compete against themselves; while Bugatti's owned by VW, who have never shown F1 aspirations and aren't going to let a "rich enthusiast" take it over.

Dr. Krogshöj
26th September 2010, 22:04
The irony is that both entities are Malaysian owned. Anyway, it seems that Dany Behar (ex-Red Bull Racing, ex-Ferrari, current Group Lotus CEO) is an ambitious man.

Dany wants Group Lotus to be Ferrari, but it isn't. I didn't build it that way – it is the way that Colin Chapman did it. There are two pools of goodwill – there is Team Lotus and Group Lotus. Team Lotus did not build cars, and none of our press statements claim that we built Esprits or built a Lotus Elan. And, Group Lotus doesn't have any racing heritage because it didn't race. Full stop. That is very clear.

I didn't set the company up that way, that is the way it was set up. Ferrari was always as one – so I suppose Dany would like it to be one. That is the feeling I get. But that is not my doing.

Dany went out and wanted to be in racing and we didn't know - and he didn't know we were applying for Team Air Asia. It doesn't make sense and we should try to collaborate and from a business perspective there are a lot of things to sort out at Group Lotus other than setting up a GP2 team.

Sonic
26th September 2010, 22:14
Actually it is Group Lotus in IndyCar. So all in all at the moment we have got:

Group Lotus/Lotus Cars:
- IndyCar (as KV)
- GP2/GP3 (as ART)
- Exos Type 125 (F1-car built for ordinary people)

Lotus Racing/Team Lotus
- F1
- GP2 (AirAsia)
- WSR (Mofaz)

ArrowsFA1 may say that the "current Lotus" is not the "real thing", but if we think about it a bit... it's evident that car manufacturers keep changing ownerships (Jaguar was under Ford's management and now Tata's), likewise F1 teams. So all in all those changes are actually quite logical from time-to-time, even if some brands have disappeared from active presence for some time. Nobody says that the current MercedesGP isn't the real thing just because Alfred Neubauer isn't the team principal any more. I wonder whether some rich enthusiasts will decide to pump a lot of money into resurrecting some other famous racing brands in the future. :p : Well, like Bugatti, Maserati, etc. Maybe Fernandes has given an inspiration to someone.

Maybe the good news in all of that mess is that Lotus is once again gradually becoming a widely-recognized racing brand with both "Lotus owners" (sounds weird) pushing hard to make their point. Racing in all kinds of series certainly makes Lotus a formidable force. I wonder if anyone has LMS plans... In the end, who cares, who the owner is, name recognition counts. McLaren has said that they want to "become a Ferrari" in terms of racing heritage and sportscar production. Now Lotus has also mentioned their "Ferrari aspirations". Let them give a try.

:up: spot on IMHO

ArrowsFA1
27th September 2010, 07:45
Agreed :up: Tony Fernandes has done a great job to establish his team and appears to have taken the interests of the Team Lotus 'brand' to heart.

ArrowsFA1 may say that the "current Lotus" is not the "real thing", but if we think about it a bit... it's evident that car manufacturers keep changing ownerships...
Very true :up: Things always change.

Dave B
27th September 2010, 08:57
One only has to read Fernades' tweets to see that he's extremely proud of the team and has a proper sense of direction for them. Of the three new entrants they're the only ones who appear to have any chance long-term success, the others will doubtless disappear or get bought up.

From day one they've done things right: experienced drivers, solid engineering, engaged the media and fans, practiced determination over hype, and delivered some solid performances on track. I hope they can continue without the distraction of courtroom battles over trademarks.

Dave B
27th September 2010, 14:07
It's all got a bit messy today, with Proton saying that Fernandes can't use the "Team Lotus" name despite his announcement in Singapore:

Fernandes announced at the Singapore Grand Prix that he had acquired the rights to the 'Team Lotus' name from its previous owner David Hunt, and that he intended to rename his team for the 2011 season.

But in a statement issued on Monday, Proton said that it believed that Group Lotus was the owner to all rights surrounding the 'Lotus' name in the automotive sector - which included F1.

It suggested therefore that use of the 'Team Lotus' name in F1 would be a breach of its own rights.

Source and full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87038

V12
27th September 2010, 16:52
In between all this red tape and legal squabbles and Bernie's likely desire to make everything awkward they'll probably surface next year as "Team Lotus F1 Racing BMW Sauber Ferrari HRT USGPE MF1 Racing Team Racing F1 Racing Racing" or some rubbish like that.

Regardless of what people think about whether this team is a legitimate continuation of the original Team Lotus, I just hope common sense prevails and we don't get yet another awkward-sounding illogical name on the grid next year :(

jens
27th September 2010, 17:11
Besides everything else - past has shown that car manufacturer ought not to interfere with the management of F1 team too much, which could have a detrimental effect on their performance. Hopefully the progress of the Hingham-based team won't be affected by this power struggle. After all, Lotus Cars gains from the effort of Fernandes nonetheless due to publicity, especially if they are not involved and have no costs in the project.

VkmSpouge
27th September 2010, 18:46
It's all got a bit messy today, with Proton saying that Fernandes can't use the "Team Lotus" name despite his announcement in Singapore:

Source and full story: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87038

I guess the question for the courts will be did David Hunt have the legal rights to Team Lotus. Should be fairly easy to decide.

Jag_Warrior
27th September 2010, 19:18
There's nothing left of the original Team Lotus and this iteration of Lotus Cars/Lotus Automobiles seems to just want to engage in branding exercises. They claim that they're going to produce an aero kit for the IRL spec car in a couple of years (assuming that car ever hits the track). But their only presence in that series now is with the most crash prone driver (Takuma Sato) and probably the most dysfunctional team in North America: KV Racing. IMO, they're doing themselves no good at all here on the PR front. Luckily, very few people watch the IRL, so I guess it's not hurting them so bad. And while fans and the media are willing to talk about the "new team championship" this year, I have a feeling that next year, or sometime very soon, that luxury will be taken off the table. They'll be measured by the same yardstick that the existing teams have been measured by.

So with all that said, I think Lotus Cars should leave Fernandes, and well enough, alone with the fledgling F1 effort. They should support him as best they can and stop with all of this foolishness. While the new teams are being given the benefit of the doubt, take full advantage of that. Soon enough, I believe they'll just be seen as backmarkers, and there's no PR/sponsor benefit in that - which is what helped drive the last version of Team Lotus under. In North American open wheel, they should link up with a "real" team and support one or more drivers who have the ability to run consistently and not hit everything other than the pace car on the first lap.

Some of my favorite drivers over the years drove for Team Lotus (Clarke, Fittipaldi, Andretti and Senna), so I'd love to see them do well both in F1 and in American open wheel. But these guys are just living off the legend created by Chapman and some marvelous drivers. So stop with the in-fighting and get on with the program!!! :arrows:

Jag_Warrior
27th September 2010, 20:15
Well, it sounds like the relationship between Tony Fernandes/1 Malaysia Racing and Group Lotus is over no matter what. The one year branding deal is up, won't be re-signed and now they're headed to court to fight over the use of "Team Lotus". So it sounds like this new team will either be "Team Lotus", "1 Malaysia Racing" or whatever... but it won't be "Lotus Racing" anymore.

Lotus Racing responds (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22644.html)

Later on Monday, after the announcement by Proton cars that they don't believe that the Lotus F1 operation run by Tony Fernandes has the legitimate rights to change their name to Team Lotus, the team issued a release.

Riad Asmat, Lotus Racing's Chief Executive Officer:
"Now we look to the future. The details of what has been going on behind the scenes are now coming to light, and that's good because it means the shareholders of Proton, the government, will now know the truth of what has been going on. However the important thing is to look at what we are doing to guarantee future success. We have already invested heavily in ensuring the Malaysian / ASEAN motorsports platform grows, something that cannot be said for our colleagues at Group Lotus."

Anubis
28th September 2010, 00:41
If Group Lotus intend to run with ART in GP2 and GP3, I'm assuming their ultimate goal is an F1 effort? That's the only reason I can see for trying to limit Fernandes' use of the branding, which must surely be giving Group Lotus an enormous amount of free publicity?

maximilian
28th September 2010, 00:56
I was happy to see the name Lotus return to F1, and even less skeptical than many hardcore fans about whether or not the famous name would be done justice or not - but after seeing how Fernandes & Co. went about it, I have to say I was really impressed. They did a very nice job in respecting the heritage, and they remained humble in the process, while at the same time creating a nice buzz in a variety of ways. As such, I think they deserve to get the original name Team Lotus from David Hunt, and I think it was a good decision of him to sell instead of letting it rot in a closet.

Now SUDDENLY it seems like Group Lotus are getting "jealous" and decided they want the whole pie, which they never earned. Nothing stopped Proton/Group Lotus all these years from entering F1, but they didn't have the vision to do so. Now it seems they want to hijack and steal someone else's vision after realizing it's a good one. LAME. Reeks of corporate greed to me, and thumbs down to Lotus Group/Proton!

CNR
28th September 2010, 01:56
the name lotus may not be there next year

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=49351

The Malaysian firm says that the fact Fernandes approached it to use the Lotus brand in 2010 showed he recognised this fact, adding that it took the decision to terminate the deal for 2011 owning to the new team’s subsequent “flagrant and persistent breaches of the licence”.

We are the owners of this brand, and will take all necessary steps to protect it. Tony Fernandes has no rights to use the Lotus brand in the 2011 Formula 1 season, and we will strongly resist any attempts by him to use our brand without our permission and will withdraw our sponsorship of the Lotus Racing team.

Somebody
28th September 2010, 03:47
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87042

Fernandes & co, naturally, disagree - saying their licence from GL expressly forbade the use of the Team Lotus name because GL ceded all rights to it forever back in 1985.

Jag_Warrior
28th September 2010, 09:40
You know what would be ironic (and hilarious)? If Fernandes approached IBM and ran his team as Team Lotus Notes next year.

Game. Set. Match!

:s mokin:

CNR
28th September 2010, 09:46
You know what would be ironic (and hilarious)? If Fernandes approached IBM and ran his team as Team Lotus Notes next year.

Game. Set. Match!

:s mokin:

http://www.merivale.com/#/lotus/lotus
lotus bar

blue lotus farm (http://bluelotusfarm.com.au/)

Lotus House
Lotus Caravans
Lotus Spa is a boutique day

DazzlaF1
28th September 2010, 11:00
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87042

Fernandes & co, naturally, disagree - saying their licence from GL expressly forbade the use of the Team Lotus name because GL ceded all rights to it forever back in 1985.

Seeing that another person (David Hunt) owned the Team Lotus name and not Proton, then I cannot see how the car company even have a case. Group Lotus Cars and Team Lotus are 2 different companies (just as Colin Chapman set it out in 1958) with the only link beteen the 2 being Chapman. This argument of "protecting brand names" is just clutching at straws.

In my view, its just a pointless argument and if it is taken to court, hopefully common sense will prevail and the Team Lotus name will be here in 2011.

turismo6
28th September 2010, 16:28
The issues could have come up because Lotus may switch to Renault engines. Proton-backed Lotus being powed by Renault may not have gone down well. Seeing this problem Fernandes & co may have gone to David Hunt to buy "Team Lotus" and cease having the Proton link who own "Lotus Racing" name.

ArrowsFA1
28th September 2010, 16:42
It's a right old mess. It seems what kicked this off was Lotus Group not renewing their licence with Fernandes. Whether that's because they have their own racing plans (just announced) or whether they got wind of Tony's purchase of the 'Team Lotus' name who knows.

Either way there's going to be a right old pickle of Lotus names in various forms of motorsport with the prospect of their being two Lotus F1 teams sometime in the future :crazy:

Robinho
28th September 2010, 19:10
its becoming a deeper mess, on top of all the legal wrangling, Group Lotus have now announced an LMP2 programme and a GT2 version of both their Evora and (probably) the new Esprit.

I can see what Lotus group is trying to do, and that an F1 Lotus that they are not associated with doesn't really fit. somehow Group Lotus need to work out a way to smooth over with Lotus F1 (I team malaysia or whatever they are) and bring the whole thing under one roof, even if its more than one entity. with all the protaganists (Fernandes, Air Asia and Proton) all actually being Malaysian i can see this betting sorted, but ts a mess for now with potentially 2 Lotus' (Lotii?) being in some catergories (GP2, and potentially F1 is ART get in on Sauber or Torro Rosso.

I for one would love to see a full Lotus organisation competing in Le Mans, GT's, GP3, GP2 and F1 as one brand, without all the messy infighting which is only going to keep away potential backers

pallone col bracciale
28th September 2010, 20:46
If the ownership of "Team Lotus" by David Hunt was a watertight deal (without knowing the details I cannot be sure, but that Proton have not previously attempted to get control of it through legal channels says that it is a watertight deal. Certainly with my profession as a lawyer I suspect this!) then Proton are urinating in the wind.

If you do not own something, and Team Lotus has been a seperate identity to Lotus cars since 58, and also never owned by Proton, then you have no claim to it.

Ask Mrs Beckham about the Peterborough United episode if you are not sure.

CNR
29th September 2010, 00:04
It's a right old mess. It seems what kicked this off was Lotus Group not renewing their licence with Fernandes. Whether that's because they have their own racing plans (just announced) or whether they got wind of Tony's purchase of the 'Team Lotus' name who knows.

Either way there's going to be a right old pickle of Lotus names in various forms of motorsport with the prospect of their being two Lotus F1 teams sometime in the future :crazy:

http://www.todayonline.com/F1/EDC100929-0000097/Lotus,-Proton-alliance-in-tatters

Riad said the team took the decision to race under the Lotus banner, a name second only to Ferrari in Formula 1 until 1994, as it would give them a head start in the sport.

But when they were stripped of the right to do so from the 2011 season, Fernandes bought over a British company that owned the name in the particular form of "Team Lotus" and announced during the Singapore Grand Prix last Friday they will race under this banner from next year.

CNR
29th September 2010, 00:15
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/33649/f1-team-lotus-latest-name-set-for-return

Jun 8, 2009
?

Hunt agreed to Litespeed’s request, making Team Lotus the third former outfit to be resurrected over the last fortnight – following the entries of March Racing Organisation and Brabham Grand Prix.

The team said in a statement: "Team Lotus is synonymous with great British engineering and F1 innovation, such as the Lotus 25 being the first monocoque chassis in F1 and the introduction of groundbreaking sponsorship, both of which easily demonstrate why ex-Lotus personnel would want to bring this championship-winning name back to the formula.

David Hunt has been the custodian of the name for so many years and we thank him for entrusting us not just with its safeguard but, more importantly, its development in the racing world of tomorrow."

CNR
29th September 2010, 00:27
http://www.historiclotusregister.co.uk/history/history.htm

The first car that we now call a Lotus was built by Colin Chapman in a lock-up garage behind his girl friend's house in 1946 or 1947. At the time he called it an Austin Seven Special,

original Austin Seven Special became the Lotus Mk I - long after it had been sold!

The rear engined Europa followed, and Chapman, keen to be rid of his kit-car image, sold off the Seven to Caterham Cars and prepared to start building cars for a higher income bracket.

i wonder if lotus seven is a separate company

BDunnell
29th September 2010, 01:14
If the ownership of "Team Lotus" by David Hunt was a watertight deal (without knowing the details I cannot be sure, but that Proton have not previously attempted to get control of it through legal channels says that it is a watertight deal. Certainly with my profession as a lawyer I suspect this!) then Proton are urinating in the wind.

I recall no objections being raised by anyone, before or since, when Hunt decided to allow the branding to be used by Pacific in 1995. This, if I remember correctly, was after Proton assumed ownership of Lotus Cars.

If you do not own something, and Team Lotus has been a seperate identity to Lotus cars since 58, and also never owned by Proton, then you have no claim to it.

Ask Mrs Beckham about the Peterborough United episode if you are not sure.

A very salient point. But what a pity this has to come down to the ownership of a company name.

Roamy
29th September 2010, 04:31
Truly does any one really give a flying _____

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2010, 10:01
Lotus Group CEO Dany Bahar speaks about the future of Lotus motorsport.

RljqqlVwoZY

ArrowsFA1
29th September 2010, 11:14
There was bad news for Lotus today as Lotus declared that only Lotus could use the Lotus name and that Lotus would be taking steps to prevent Lotus from calling itself Lotus.
http://sniffpetrol.com/2010/09/29/lotus-and-lotus-fight-over-lotus/

:p

maximilian
29th September 2010, 12:51
There is no Lotus but Lotus and Proton is its messenger!

Dave B
29th September 2010, 13:01
I'm Lotus and so's my wife.

jens
30th September 2010, 15:22
With Group Lotus planning to participate in so many series, I wonder, where do they suddenly find funds from for all of that? It's quite a massive program really.

Robinho
30th September 2010, 17:48
Group Lotus have just announced a new range of 5 new cars at the paris Motor show, they must be putting in a hell of a lot of investement in at the moment

Somebody
30th September 2010, 18:34
@pallone

Supposedly Proton tried to buy "Team Lotus" from David Hunt, and got knocked back.

Subsequently, they tried to get Hunt's TL trademarks revoked and failed.

I don't see Proton winning this one either.

Robinho
30th September 2010, 20:29
Proton's top dogs and Malaysian politicians are stepping in, this will all be smoothed over in the background i predict

Dave B
1st October 2010, 16:56
On a Lotus-related note, they've officially got out of the Cosworth deal, clearing the way for the suspected tie up with Renault:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87116

V12
1st October 2010, 17:16
I really do hope that this dispute is not just smoothed over, but that the two parties can come together and nominally collaborate, even if their respective operations remain separate (in the fashion of the two Chapman-owned arms), as I think it would be to their mutual benefit.

maximilian
1st October 2010, 19:46
I really do hope that this dispute is not just smoothed over, but that the two parties can come together and nominally collaborate, even if their respective operations remain separate (in the fashion of the two Chapman-owned arms), as I think it would be to their mutual benefit.
Fully agreed on that! There is a lot of good stuff happening overall to the "Brand" of Lotus, with planned involvement in a lot of different series, and it would be too bad if they couldn't come to a mutually beneficial agreement. They've really got a good thing going here, and if only the apparent EGO issues can be resolved... then again, F1 is all about EGO a lot of times, isn't it? :p

That said, I wonder if Proton would ever consider building their own F1 engine, branded as Lotus.

DexDexter
5th October 2010, 09:07
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87198

Lotus might be a place to be next year...

Ranger
5th October 2010, 09:23
Next area of major improvement is the drivers methinks. :p :

DexDexter
5th October 2010, 09:30

I don't know, both current drivers are quick, at least over one lap and there really aren't better drivers on the market with the possible exception of Heidfeld.

Let's remember that on his day, despite being the clearest number two ever, Heikki could outqualify Lewis, Silverstone pole 2008 being an example of it, and Jarno was pretty good compared to Alonso at Renault.

jens
5th October 2010, 09:51

If they can attract a line-up of Kubica and Rosberg, then yes, you would be right, but in terms of performance they are still a few years away from even having the option of considering something like that. :)

One thought could be if Lotus would try to groom a rookie and start building the future around him, but it may not be easy to find such a sure bet on who to gamble. For instance I wonder if Red Bull would let Ricciardo go to join the Lotus squad long-term, because loaning him for one year and then letting go again would be pointless.

Ranger
5th October 2010, 09:55
I don't know, both current drivers are quick, at least over one lap and there really aren't better drivers on the market with the possible exception of Heidfeld.

Let's remember that on his day, despite being the clearest number two ever, Heikki could outqualify Lewis, Silverstone pole 2008 being an example of it, and Jarno was pretty good compared to Alonso at Renault.

They are probably the best new-team lineup in 2010. Still plenty of room for improvement though.

If Heidfeld and/or Massa became available I don't see Lotus hesitating too much.

jens
5th October 2010, 10:01
They are probably the best new-team lineup in 2010. Still plenty of room for improvement though.

If Heidfeld and/or Massa became available I don't see Lotus hesitating too much.

Actually I don't see either driver being that attractive that Lotus would consider breaking contracts and sacking their current drivers just to get NH/FM. In winter Peter Sauber even took de la Rosa over Heidfeld by saying that "he wants a fresh start". If someone like Alonso suddenly became available, then yes, we would see teams starting to evaluate the possibility of hiring him, like we saw in late-07.

Did all teams quickly start reconsidering their line-ups in late-09, when Button and Barrichello were seemingly left jobless? Nope, all I heard was that Renault offered Button a drive in place of Piquet Jr. And I doubt, how serious was even that proposal.

ArrowsFA1
12th September 2011, 14:06
Team Lotus and Renault chiefs have dropped firm hints that the Lotus naming row could be resolved at the end of this year - leaving the way clear for both outfits to be renamed.
Team Lotus poised to change name in 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94515)

About blummin' time too!!

The whole thing has been very childish, particularly over the use of Lotus team colours in F1 and GP2. We'll use the traditional green. Ok then we'll use the black & gold. If you're using green in GP2 we will too :laugh:

Malbec
12th September 2011, 14:46
Team Lotus poised to change name in 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94515)

About blummin' time too!!

The whole thing has been very childish, particularly over the use of Lotus team colours in F1 and GP2. We'll use the traditional green. Ok then we'll use the black & gold. If you're using green in GP2 we will too :laugh:

A deal was supposedly done whereby Fernandes got Malaysian Air and in return he dropped his claim to the Lotus name in F1.

Meanwhile Lotus isn't returning calls about its Indycar engines from enquiring Indy teams, many of whom might be left in the lurch since the other two engine suppliers are only obligated to supply 40% of the field each.

SGWilko
12th September 2011, 15:02
Meanwhile Lotus isn't returning calls about its Indycar engines from enquiring Indy teams, many of whom might be left in the lurch since the other two engine suppliers are only obligated to supply 40% of the field each.

Which Lotus - Bahar's or Fernandes'?

Malbec
12th September 2011, 15:06
Which Lotus - Bahar's or Fernandes'?

Good point, Bahar's.

SGWilko
12th September 2011, 15:11
Good point, Bahar's.

Ah, no surprise there then. Mr Bahar and his prestige Malaysian sportscar program in a world where finance is tight, environmental issues are beginning to change peoples' attitudes to car purchases and his team that are more skint than a Greek government........ ;)

Sarah
13th September 2011, 18:55
Team Lotus may change name and move out of Norfolk - Sport - Norwich Evening News (http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/team_lotus_may_change_name_and_move_out_of_norfolk _1_1020525)

Know most of this has already been posted up - Anglia TV seem to think it will be Silverstone based