#02 Graham Rahal / NHR - Quick Trim / Newman Haas Racing
#06 Hideki Mutoh / Formula Dream-Panasonic / Newman Haas Racing

SarahFan
12th September 2010, 23:11
Any predictions

DanicaFan
12th September 2010, 23:14
Any predictions

Yep. I know you will all be against it but I think Danica Patrick will win this race. She knows this track very well!!! :)

TURN3
13th September 2010, 00:42
Yep. I know you will all be against it but I think Danica Patrick will win this race. She knows this track very well!!! :)

What an utterly stupid thing to say. So none of the other drivers know this track as well as her? Is that what you're implying?

Oh well, you're good for the comedy. Sort of like those shows about America's Dumbest Criminals an such.

Anubis
13th September 2010, 01:59
Silly thing is, from looking at the stats, she does actually seem to do reasonably well at Motegi, with an average finish of 6th by my maths. Had DF said "well she has a good record here, so I don't think a top ten is unreasonable", I'd actually be mildly inclined to agree with him. The win prediction is meaningless because it's his factory setting, but I wouldn't bet against her having a decent(ish) run. Personally, I'm going to say Wheldon could be an outside bet for the win (no Carpenter in Japan?), as he seems to have come alive again at the last two races. Will also be cheering on Baguette, as he's rapidly becoming my new favourite driver. Granted, a lot of that is down to the fact I (still) find his name amusing, but he's impressed more and more as the season has progressed and is doing a commendable job if you ask me. Finally, I can't not mention Sato at his home race. Will it inspire him, or just make him even more prone to doing something brainless?

TURN3
13th September 2010, 02:43
Finally, I can't not mention Sato at his home race. Will it inspire him, or just make him even more prone to doing something brainless?

I don't think he could possibly be any more prone than he already is.

Chamoo
13th September 2010, 03:32
The one thing Sato will do is put bums in the seats in Japan.

DanicaFan
13th September 2010, 04:52
The one thing Sato will do is put bums in the seats in Japan.

You forgot the other thing he will do.... DNF...lol :D

DanicaFan
13th September 2010, 04:53
What an utterly stupid thing to say. So none of the other drivers know this track as well as her? Is that what you're implying?

Oh well, you're good for the comedy. Sort of like those shows about America's Dumbest Criminals an such.

Im not saying that Turn but she won here before so I think she will find the podium again. :)

vintage
13th September 2010, 05:45
I just pray that Sato doesn't join the fans in the seats!

TURN3
13th September 2010, 05:58

Im not saying that Turn but she won here before so I think she will find the podium again. :)

No, you very clearly stated that "Danica Patrick will win this race". Your logic is that "She knows this track very well!!! :) " See above ;) sweetheart. :)

Now you're changing your prediction? It's just a podium now? Judging from your comments, you obviously have no clue what you're saying do you?

DanicaFan
13th September 2010, 08:30
No, you very clearly stated that "Danica Patrick will win this race". Your logic is that "She knows this track very well!!! :) " See above ;) sweetheart. :)

Now you're changing your prediction? It's just a podium now? Judging from your comments, you obviously have no clue what you're saying do you?

You misunderstood my friend. I didnt say no one else knew their way around the track, them were your words... ;)

Yes, I do think Danica will win this race.

Dr. Krogshöj
13th September 2010, 08:45
Strangely, I haven't yet seen an IRL race in Motegi. I liked this track back in CART because it seemed challengeing to drive and very wide. Does it produce good racing?

beachgirl
13th September 2010, 11:55
Strangely, I haven't yet seen an IRL race in Motegi. I liked this track back in CART because it seemed challengeing to drive and very wide. Does it produce good racing?

Not in years past. However, the date was changed from spring/summer to fall, so all of the foggy, rainy weather shouldn't be a factor this time. IIRC, DF's Motegi race was postponed a day because of the rotten weather.

Anubis
13th September 2010, 14:12
Yes, I do think Danica will win this race.

And that differs from every other race how exactly? Hardly a studied forecast is it now.

Chamoo
13th September 2010, 15:01
Not in years past. However, the date was changed from spring/summer to fall, so all of the foggy, rainy weather shouldn't be a factor this time. IIRC, DF's Motegi race was postponed a day because of the rotten weather.

I also think they wanted to marry the Motegi race and Surfer's Paradise race together in the fall, but Australia fell through.

TURN3
13th September 2010, 15:02
Hey, who was the member that got all pissy to us critics when Sato was announced in the pre-season? Just curious because I don't think there has been another peep since the first turn in Brazil. Would be nice for whoever that was to show up and take the crow!

Chris R
13th September 2010, 16:01

aww c'mon you gotta let a guy have his dreams!! :)

seriously, you know he is referring to the fact she won here before and nothing else... I would say of all his "Danica to win" predictions for the year - this one is actually in the ballpark of possible (you know that success breeds success - so if she is going to find her mojo anywhere it will be here, where she has won in the past...)

All that being said - I tend to agree with your sentiment that a W by Danica is highly unlikely....

Dr. Krogshöj
13th September 2010, 17:22
Hey, who was the member that got all pissy to us critics when Sato was announced in the pre-season? Just curious because I don't think there has been another peep since the first turn in Brazil. Would be nice for whoever that was to show up and take the crow!

I don't quite remember but I might have defended Sato because I held him in a high regard before this season. But how should anyone have foreseen that he'd be so much worse than he had been in 2007, his last active racing season?

harvick#1
13th September 2010, 17:24
too bad the IRL wants to stick the the oval, the road course is open enough that the indy cars could do good battle, alot of passing areas on the circuit, but of course you'll have the traditional banter from a certain fans who wishes there were only ovals in the series.

expect the same, Ganassi or Penske in victory lane, but Mutoh could be a darkhorse as would Wheldon to win.

DF good luck, that race, the only top driver left was Helio and she thought she was a lap down. the only way Danica ever gets a win again is all the Ganassi and Penske cars fall out of the race and she can beat her teammates which is also very unlikely, and have to outrun the smaller budget teams which she has proven cant do

Anubis
13th September 2010, 18:12
I don't quite remember but I might have defended Sato because I held him in a high regard before this season. But how should anyone have foreseen that he'd be so much worse than he had been in 2007, his last active racing season?

I was probably defending Sato against the "ride buying hack" criticisms, but I'm happy to accept he's been a disaster. The infuriating thing is he hasn't always been a SLOW disaster. He's shown genuine speed (take Mid Ohio), right up to the point he switches his brain off and bins it (take Mid Ohio...). For students of UK sitcom history, he's a sort of racing Frank Spencer.

I am actually interested to see how Danica goes here, as the stats do almost back DF up for once - she has gone well here historically. No way she'll win it, but I wouldn't be overly shocked to see her in the lower reaches of the top ten. I'm going to stick with the outside bet of Wheldon for the win, as I just have this feeling that the title protagonists are going to be too busy concentrating on each other, leaving room for someone to take a strategy gamble. Oh noes, fuel race...

Jag_Warrior
13th September 2010, 19:45

I've also been surprised by what a rolling disaster Sato has proven to be. While he wasn't an ace in F1, he wasn't a total clown either. And these cars being at about the same performance level as GP2 cars (on road courses), I figured that he'd do pretty well over here. I was wrong. He's the new Shiggy: the Human Wrecking Ball.

As far as Danica is concerned, it looks to me like she's just mailing in her performances these days. I don't think she really cares or is really trying anymore. Short of massive attrition or some kind of funky pit strategy, I'll be surprised if she gets any higher than a top 10. IMO, they could give her a top 5 car and she'd do well to cruise it home in 9th.

It's been a very long time since I've seen a race on this track. So I don't remember much about it.

harvick#1
13th September 2010, 19:53
I'd give Sato though another year, hes never really been to any of the american tracks other then Indy and that was only on Road Course.

some drivers do take longer to adapt to a car, he showed signs of brilliance in F1 while also being a moron. hes fast but very crash prone.

but the 6 year vet that still being treated like a rookie, her time is up :p :

Jag_Warrior
13th September 2010, 20:17
I agree: Sato could turn it around next year. If he becomes more like Alex Zanardi and less like Dangerous Dan Clarke, maybe he'll eventually turn into something.

DanicaFan
13th September 2010, 22:27
Here are the pit assignments..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/motegipits.jpg

SoCalPVguy
13th September 2010, 22:51

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn.

SoCalPVguy
13th September 2010, 22:53

FELLAS -- PLEEASE DON'T DO THIS HERE !!!!!
Take it to the "All Danica All the Time Thread" we need your posts !!!!

DanicaFan
13th September 2010, 23:03
FELLAS -- PLEEASE DON'T DO THIS HERE !!!!!
Take it to the "All Danica All the Time Thread" we need your posts !!!!

Negative. Picking a winner at this race pertains to this thread on Motegi. :)

garyshell
14th September 2010, 01:53

She will be able to find it all right, being ON it is another kettle of fish entirely.

Gary

beachgirl
14th September 2010, 02:09
Legitimate question. It appears that Kanaan, Hunter-Reay, and Andretti always have pit stalls together, but Danica's never assigned, or chooses, a pit stall with them. How come?

grungex
14th September 2010, 04:29
Vitor Meira pit 12A? Seriously? Bwahaha!

DanicaFan
14th September 2010, 04:55
Legitimate question. It appears that Kanaan, Hunter-Reay, and Andretti always have pit stalls together, but Danica's never assigned, or chooses, a pit stall with them. How come?

It's done by points.

Alfa Fan
14th September 2010, 10:17
DF your the only person in the world I know of who uses "negative" as short for "no". It's dumb. :confused:

DanicaFan
14th September 2010, 12:26
DF your the only person in the world I know of who uses "negative" as short for "no". It's dumb. :confused:

That is the military and police training coming out in me.. ;) :)

beachgirl
14th September 2010, 12:52
It's done by points.

Not quite. Check the points very carefully, and then compare to the pit assignments. Not the same.

TURN3
14th September 2010, 13:53
Not quite. Check the points very carefully, and then compare to the pit assignments. Not the same.

More acurately, pit "selection" order is done by points. Points don't determine your spot, they determine when you choose your spot.

SUBARUTEAM
15th September 2010, 21:43
i hope we don't lose track time due to water coming up through the track.
it seams to happen every year. look for Will and dario to fight it out for the win with help from their team mates.

Dr. Krogshöj
15th September 2010, 22:11
I agree: Sato could turn it around next year. If he becomes more like Alex Zanardi and less like Dangerous Dan Clarke, maybe he'll eventually turn into something.

Also, he might do wonders to the Motegi attendance. He is so popular in Japan that Honda had to create the Super Aguri satellite F1 team in the wake of the public outroar that occured when the factory outfit dumped Taku in favour of Barrichello.

Jag_Warrior
17th September 2010, 09:47
The IRL website shows qualifications on Versus at 10PM and the race at 11PM Saturday.

Qualifications 10:00 PM Sat on VERSUS
Race 10:00 PM Sat on VERSUS
Green Flag 11:00 PM Sat on VERSUS

But the DirecTV show guide doesn't have anything related to the race until 11PM. Are the qualifying sessions going to be shown? :confused:

DanicaFan
17th September 2010, 11:57
The IRL website shows qualifications on Versus at 10PM and the race at 11PM Saturday.

But the DirecTV show guide doesn't have anything related to the race until 11PM. Are the qualifying sessions going to be shown? :confused:

They may be showing the pre-recorded qualifying session on Saturday at 10pm. The actual qualifying is today at 2:30-4:00pm Eastern (our time). Remember, Japan is 13 hours ahead of us.

SarahFan
17th September 2010, 12:59
Remember, Japan is 13 hours ahead of us.

of coarse it is..... but they are running the race on US central time... right!?!?!?

TURN3
18th September 2010, 02:04
Did I see correctly that Sato has already been in the wall or is that just a "pre-emptive" report?

Hoop-98
18th September 2010, 02:11
Did I see correctly that Sato has already been in the wall or is that just a "pre-emptive" report?

some kind of amazing eh!

DanicaFan
18th September 2010, 02:27
Correct Turn, Sato did hit the wall.

DanicaFan
18th September 2010, 02:42
Results of Practice Session 1..

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee236/DanicaRules/motegipractice1.jpg

DanicaFan
18th September 2010, 08:34
Congrats to Helio Castroneves for the pole. It's Penske 1-2-3 on the front. Castroneves, Briscoe, and Power.

Here is your starting grid..

Row 1

#3 Helio Castroneves / 201.992
#6 Ryan Briscoe / 201.594

Row 2

#12 Will Power / 201.463
#10 Dario Franchitti / 200.964

Row 3

#26 Marco Andretti / 200.187
#11 Tony Kanaan / 200.011

Row 4

#37 Ryan Hunter-Reay / 199.623
#8 EJ Viso / 199.487

Row 5

#4 Dan Wheldon / 199.225
#5 Takuma Sato / 199.191

Row 6

#9 Scott Dixon / 199.020
#7 Danica Patrick / 198.935

Row 7

#34 Bertrand Baguette / 198.794
#14 Vitor Meira / 197.950

Row 8

#19 Alex Lloyd / 197.556
#02 Graham Rahal / 197.402

Row 9

#06 Hideki Mutoh / 197.361
#22 Justin Wilson / 196.850

Row 10

#2 Raphael Matos / 196.813
#32 Mario Moraes / 196.460

Row 11

#36 Roger Yasukawa / 196.296
#24 Paul Tracy / 195.709

Row 12

#77 Alex Tagliani / 195.483
#78 Simona De Silvestro / 193.561

Row 13

#18 Milka Duno / 192.527

Lousada
18th September 2010, 09:58
Penske -a lot- faster than the rest, incredible...

trinksuk
18th September 2010, 11:02
For once this one was not Sato's fault......oil on the right rear tire from a major oil leak from the car. You could see the oil spray from the replay. Looks to be a team error. A big hit though! Good effort from KV to get the spare car out in time to make the 2nd practice.

TURN3
18th September 2010, 14:19
I knew PT being with DRR would suck on these ovals (compared to the potential with KV). Apparently though, he made a pretty good save on his qualy run. Anybody have a YouTube replay by chance?

JW tweeted that he was loose....in a straight line!

DanicaFan
18th September 2010, 19:16
I knew PT being with DRR would suck on these ovals (compared to the potential with KV). Apparently though, he made a pretty good save on his qualy run. Anybody have a YouTube replay by chance?

JW tweeted that he was loose....in a straight line!

Yeah, PT wobbled real bad on his first qualifying lap. I know he isnt running with an Andretti, Penske, or Ganassi team but he isnt impressing me much. May be time for retirement.

TURN3
18th September 2010, 19:38
Yeah, PT wobbled real bad on his first qualifying lap. I know he isnt running with an Andretti, Penske, or Ganassi team but he isnt impressing me much. May be time for retirement.

You just can't help but to say some of the dumbest things across the entire range of all the forumns can you? He ran 10th most of the night in Kentucky on his first oval in 4 years RIGHT BEHIND YOUR SWEETIE. He's led more laps this year with mid-pack teams than YOUR SWEETIE. He's passed more cars on the opening lap of each race THAN YOUR SWEETIE HAS ALL YEAR. You really need to seek some phsycological help...that is of course unless you're already collecting state funds. You posts show that you know nothing about racing or racing talent.

garyshell
18th September 2010, 19:45
May be time for retirement.

Yes it is. Oh wait... you were talking about Paul. Too bad.

Gary

SarahFan
18th September 2010, 22:11

that begs the question:

Has Danica impressed you much this season?....if so how and when and be specific please

beachbum
18th September 2010, 22:20
May be time for retirement.That is one way to eliminate the competition to give your favorite driver a chance to move up one more position. PT has earned his credentials and is still competitive, even if he doesn't have the best equipment and is running part time.

But if running midpack and not living up to former results is your criteria for retirement, maybe your favorite driver should hang it up as well.

DanicaFan
18th September 2010, 22:59
Wow, I speak one thing that could have quite some truth in it and everyone attacks me. Oh, and as for him being competition for Danica, not a chance. ;)

TURN3
18th September 2010, 23:23
Wow, I speak one thing that could have quite some truth in it and everyone attacks me. Oh, and as for him being competition for Danica, not a chance. ;)

Right, because all the statistics and facts you provide support your theories. As a "law man", weren't you trained on evidence? Or do you just randomly arrest students breaking into the bookstore and assume they're guilty. Like anything else Mort, just put up some type of evidence to support yourself.

FYI, Head to Head Points:

PT = 77
Princess = 77

And that isn't even a very good comparison considering PT is part time with 2 different teams. Not even close to what he'd be able to do with those 2 mid-pack teams if he was providing feedback all season long. Then consider what he has done on the track, not just the finish. Toronto he had raced from the back after his team put mis-matched suspensions on for qualy, passing cars constantly. We won't even bring up Watkins Glen where he got caught out on entry to pit lane when the yellow came out. He dusted Princess off like a tattered jacket 2x on restarts and again, passed cars all the way to the finish (first race action in almost a year at that point).

Also wondering why a guy that the "Expert" here suggests should retire because he's not "impressed" would be getting interest from DRR and KV to run full-time next year. Hmmm...maybe it is because his lack of impression has made a difference in those teams on limited basis this year. Could just be us novice fans that think that way though.

beachgirl
18th September 2010, 23:44

Well, with the exception of Texas, Danica hasn't been running much with the Andretti, Penske, or Ganassi teams either and she's running fulltime. And no, I don't want to hear the excuses. Paul Tracy has forgotten more about racing than Danica will learn in her entire lifetime. If you're too young to know all about Tracy's career, maybe you should read up a little.

beachbum
19th September 2010, 01:36
Wow, I speak one thing that could have quite some truth in it and everyone attacks me. Oh, and as for him being competition for Danica, not a chance. ;) PT may be in the twilight of his career, but he is still a better racer than Danica. Put them is the same equipment, even today, and there is no comparison.

You really need to do your research.

PT

Career wins (inc FF) - 48
Championships - 3
Cart / Indy car Career Starts 273 - 146 top 10's 53% - This during the 90's which is considered the peak of Indy car competition with very tough competition

Indycar Series - last 3 years
12 starts, 6 top 10's - 50% - running part time on 6 different second string teams

DP

Careeer wins (inc FF) - 1
Championships - 0
Indy Car Career starts 97 - 52 top 10's 53% - This often with relatively weak 16-18 car fields

Indycar Series - last 3 years
50 starts, 26 top 10's - 50% - with one of the "top 3" in Indycar

And you have the gall to say he isn't competition for Danica? Please.

Easy Drifter
19th September 2010, 02:06
Thoughts: Simona's car is probably a very overweight flexi flyer that has been repaired too often, and likely not well due to lack of time.
PT's car is also likely a bit of a flexi flyer.
Expanlation: A flexi flyer is a chassis that has lost rigidity and will not react as it should. Often inconsistent handling. All chassis will do this in time but those that have been crashed and repaired are worse, especially those often repaired and repaired quickly. Also will be overweight.
PT will likely move up to upper mid pack quickly.
DP will likely drop back in 5 to 10 laps and try to find a slot not near other cars.
I do expect a top 10 finish from her with smart stategy and her ability to stay out of trouble by not running too close to others most of the time.
Takuma Sato will finally manage to hit the helicopter.

beachgirl
19th September 2010, 02:24

ROFLMAO with tears coming out!!! I also spit soda on my monitor.

TURN3
19th September 2010, 02:47

Yes!

Phoenixent
19th September 2010, 02:53
Right, because all the statistics and facts you provide support your theories. As a "law man", weren't you trained on evidence? Or do you just randomly arrest students breaking into the bookstore and assume they're guilty. Like anything else Mort, just put up some type of evidence to support yourself.

I doubt you will get any facts from DF on any of his claims.

As for him being a lawman I have serious doubts on that also. He claims to have LE training but in my business he comes across as a stalker. Not to say that he is but his fanaticism for Danica would have us in the film industry looking at him seriously.

Enjoy the race as I for one look for PT being near the top ten.

Shifter
19th September 2010, 04:06
Jack Arute must have gotten an 'f' in geography class. Japan is NOT south of the equator.

TURN3
19th September 2010, 04:17
We don't have a sequence for 1st KV driver to crash yet...no way Sato pulls another 1st lapper. I'm going with Viso today...lap 36. KV has given him a pretty quick car and he'll waste it. I'd go with Moraes but he's pretty slow compared to the other two idiots.

TURN3
19th September 2010, 04:26
What!? Dfan...you might be able to pick up a Hello Kitty blanket for your collection!!

Shifter
19th September 2010, 04:29
Now Arute splashed water on two Penske drivers lol.

garyshell
19th September 2010, 04:44
As much as I can't stand Arute, I have to say I did like the interview he just did with Chip and the Captain.

Gary

TURN3
19th September 2010, 05:34
Anybody else notice the little McDonalds logos on Franchitti's mirrors? Not sure if they've been there. I'm thinking of the Rahal to Ganassi rumors.

Dang! I was 30 laps too late!!! Moronass to the wall!

Hoop-98
19th September 2010, 05:37
Tough hit by Mario....

garyshell
19th September 2010, 05:38
Mario appears to be hurt.

Gary

garyshell
19th September 2010, 05:39
Anybody else notice the little McDonalds logos on Franchitti's mirrors? Not sure if they've been there. I'm thinking of the Rahal to Ganassi rumors.

Did Rahal have McDonalds sponsorship or did NHL? It was NHL originally, did that change?

Gary

TURN3
19th September 2010, 05:43
Did Rahal have McDonalds sponsorship or did NHL? It was NHL originally, did that change?

Gary

I guess the rumor is that Rahal has a "relationship" with them and so does Ganassi. Could be irrelevant...just sayin'

garyshell
19th September 2010, 05:49
How did the princess get into fourth (discounting Matos and Mutoh)?

What did (or didn't) the pit crew do on that last stop? She didn't do this by passing anyone.

Gary

TURN3
19th September 2010, 05:55
How did the princess get into fourth (discounting Matos and Mutoh)?

What did (or didn't) the pit crew do on that last stop? She didn't do this by passing anyone.

Gary

Her crew has made up 6 or 7 spots for her in the pits. All of the AA cars look strong though...they can hang with the red cars but they can't pass them or hold them off.

TURN3
19th September 2010, 06:06
I had feeling that was going to happen to PT. He was setting his fast laps trying to stay from going a lap down. Somehow when he pitted late for fuel he wasn't caught up to the field. Went from 11s behind Wilson to about 4s but was he next car to go a lap down. DRR has some major work to do...Wilson has a parachute attached to his car too. Maybe there is a spot at KV open for Homestead?

garyshell
19th September 2010, 06:12
If Matos and Mutoh didn't pit on that last stop why are they not back up front. Timing and scoring shows them at two stops everyone else at 3. Or did they go down a lap when they DID take their last stop 21 laps ago?

Gary

Chamoo
19th September 2010, 06:18
If Matos and Mutoh didn't pit on that last stop why are they not back up front. Timing and scoring shows them at two stops everyone else at 3. Or did they go down a lap when they DID take their last stop 21 laps ago?

Gary

I'm going to say they lost a lap while pitting under green.

garyshell
19th September 2010, 06:23
I'm going to say they lost a lap while pitting under green.

Gotta be the case.

What happened to Simona to put her out? I left the room to grab a cold one.

Gary

ChicagocrewIRL
19th September 2010, 06:26
That's the best crowd at Motegi I have seen in years. I think they all came to see Sato who is a national hero.

garyshell
19th September 2010, 06:27
That's the best crowd at Motegi I have seen in years. I think they all came to see Sato who is a national hero.

That and it is some sort of national holiday there as well. They talked about that in the pre-race show.

Gary

TURN3
19th September 2010, 06:41
I think they all came to see Sato who is a national hero.

That isn't saying much for Japan and their heros, huh?

TURN3
19th September 2010, 06:42
I must say they've handled this yellow horribly!! RED FLAG if it's going to be 25 laps of yellow.

garyshell
19th September 2010, 06:51
I must say they've handled this yellow horribly!! RED FLAG if it's going to be 25 laps of yellow.

When is the last time you saw any AOWR series do that?

Gary

ChicagocrewIRL
19th September 2010, 06:51
Wow Iowa came back from 27 -7 down to tie Arizona ! Way to go Hawkeyes ! Tied 27-27 4:39 left Arizona in the red zone
Oh I mean way to go Helio !!!

TURN3
19th September 2010, 06:59
OMG!! Sato finished a race! Being that it was in Japan...I'm saying it was fixed.

DanicaFan
19th September 2010, 07:01
Congrats to Helio for the win!

Here are the results..

1. #3 Helio Castroneves
2. #10 Dario Franchitti
3. #12 Will Power
4. #6 Ryan Briscoe
5. #7 Danica Patrick
6. #9 Scott Dixon
7. #11 Tony Kanaan
8. #02 Graham Rahal
9. #37 Ryan Hunter-Reay
10. #4 Dan Wheldon
11. #26 Marco Andretti
12. #5 Takuma Sato
13. #77 Alex Tagliani
14. #06 Hideki Mutoh
15. #8 EJ Viso
16. #22 Justin Wilson
17. #14 Vitor Meira
18. #2 Raphael Matos
19. #18 Milka Duno
20. #36 Roger Yasukawa
21. #19 Alex Lloyd
22. #24 Paul Tracy
23. #78 Simona De Silvestro
24. #32 Mario Moraes
25. #34 Bertrand Baguette

DanicaFan
19th September 2010, 07:05
Great run by Danica but it wont shut up you critics from badmouthing her Im sure.

garyshell
19th September 2010, 07:11
Great run by Danica but it wont shut up you critics from badmouthing her Im sure.

How many cars did she pass on the track? Her pit crew did a GREAT job.

Gary

Jag_Warrior
19th September 2010, 07:16

I'm one of her biggest critics. But she did what she does (kept her nose clean), and did it well enough to get a top 5. Hey, I don't like Alonso either. But I'll give any dog its due.

BTW, Danica telling Arute that she wanted to make his wildest dreams come true almost made me cringe. She's assuming that his WILDEST dream would be seeing her in victory lane. He's a pretty creepy dude. I think she might want to choose her words more carefully with Senor A-root.

But this race was a beating to watch. Clive Howell nailed it when he called it "a procession" where no one can pass. :s nore:

SarahFan
19th September 2010, 07:51

what speciffically was great about it?

beachbum
19th September 2010, 11:43
Great run by Danica but it wont shut up you critics from badmouthing her Im sure.Danica drove a typical Danica race. I for one, have never said she can't drive and isn't fast. Her 5th was a very good result. After qualifying, I would have predicted 5th to 10th as her finishing position. She typically picks up a couple positions from mistakes of others and great pit work. And she did.

But as Turn3 pointed out, how many cars did she pass? I didn't watch the race as Motegi has a history of processions and I am not going to stay up half the night to watch a dull race. But I did check the lap charts and they show she passed 5 on track. Two at the start when the KV cars dropped back, 2 after the first restart (1 was her teammate RHR) and TK right after a restart. Two more came from pit work. Like a typical DP event, she sometimes makes passes early in the race when others are cruising and then uses her starting position and great crew to get her spots on track. Then she justs drives around mostly by herself.

Motegi is a perfect track for her, because success is often determined by the best setup, getting a good starting spot, and then staying out of trouble. It also seems to favor a fairly "tight" setup, another of her "strengths". Based on practice, she had a very good setup. IMHO, the result was not a surprise.

elis
19th September 2010, 11:45
Heck that was a yawner, nothing to really keep the interest, plus 50 laps under caution, that's a quarter of the entire race :s Happy Helio won, so there was some light to an otherwise dull race, imo

:)

TURN3
19th September 2010, 14:17

You see, her critics don't badmouth her just to be doing it. She ran well, about the 3rd time this year. But you don't take anything in the correct context. I on the other hand, give credit where credit is due, and she held her own. She was aggressive on restarts which is unusual for her but she made it pay off, and her pit crew gained a net 6 spots for her. Nothing "great" about her run but nothing to thumb a nose at either.

Rahal ended up finishing well, passing several cars on that last run. If he is with Ganassi next year, you can count on a few W's for him. I think he'll need a year or 2 more to be a championship contender with Dario and Will but he would be good mixing it up at the front.

harvick#1
19th September 2010, 15:43

shes not a rookie anymore. shes been in the series for 6 years. thats like saying great run by Dario on nearly wining.

how about not being a biased poster. but great job by the Penske boys again, 1-3-4. I really hope Power can get an oval win soon to put this championship away.

Scotty G.
19th September 2010, 15:49
Motegi is a perfect track for her, because success is often determined by the best setup, getting a good starting spot, and then staying out of trouble. It also seems to favor a fairly "tight" setup, another of her "strengths". Based on practice, she had a very good setup. IMHO, the result was not a surprise.

Yup.

Danica is yesterday's news anyway. Her story is played out.

Sato also was given credit for "a great run" by the radio broadcast. Yea, right. He finished 13th (in a 25 car field) and didn't crash in the race. That is what is considered "great" for a KV crash test dummy, I guess.

I did enjoy watching the endless laps of Sato trying to pass Milka though. That was scentilating stuff. I am sure the 18 people actually watching the race on TV, were enjoying that.

Anubis
19th September 2010, 18:37

Was a solid enough result, but hardly spectacular. In fact, I'm slightly surprised you're not disappointed to be honest, as you were convinced she was going to win, remember?

Not "can win this race", or "might be able to challenge for the win", but WILL win. You can't make such a bold prediction and then try and pass off twelth on the grid and a fifth place finish as a "great run". By the terms you yourself set based on what you obviously believe her ability to be, she failed. This is the sort of stuff people are always going to get on your back about. You've spent most of the season coming out with the most outlandish predictions, then equally ludicrous excuses when they've failed to materialise, that people really can't take anything you say seriously any more. The sad thing is you can't see that you've really only got yourself to blame. By all means support her as a driver, but don't be such a blinkered zealot about it. You're doing what a lot of alleged psychics do. You ignore all your failed predictions and zero in on the one that you had a degree of success with, then use that to justify your claims without explaining why you were so wide of the mark every other time.

Here's a challenge for you - explain to me why you were so sure she'd win (not just run well, but win), then provide a "gap analysis" to show what happened to her in a) qualification and b) the race that resulted in her only finishing fifth. If you were so sure she'd win (which you were), you must presumably be able to demonstrate why she didn't. This isn't a personal attack on her or you, I'm simply calling you on your prediction. Given you were so sure she'd win, I want to know your reasoning for why she didn't.

coogmaster
19th September 2010, 18:51

If Paul Tracy was driving for Andretti, he would be showing everyone exactly what can be done with the combination of a semi-decent ride and talent. Patrick (semi-decent ride and no talent) would be getting her @$$ kicked by him every single weekend, especially on the road courses.

downtowndeco
19th September 2010, 21:39
Some of you guys are coming off as jerks. A guy is a diehard FAN of a certain driver. BFD. Let it go already. If we had more fans like him and less pesimistic, jaded, cynical debbie downers like yourselves the sport would be better off. At least the guy is EXCITED and POSTIVE about Indy Car rather than bagging on it all the time just for the sport of it.

Danicafan, you're OK in my book, even if we don't agree 100% on everything. Cheers.

Lousada
19th September 2010, 22:22
I thought we had a Danica only thread where everybody could troll?

Easy Drifter
19th September 2010, 22:42
I think everyone on here knows I do not like her.
But let us not get so nasty to DF.
He does keep us posted on times, pit assignments and so on.
So please cut him some slack.
Maybe razz him but not get nasty.

NickFalzone
20th September 2010, 02:19
I am now a Milka Duno fan. I know she hasn't won in a long time (ever? maybe a fuel mileage race?) but she's been in a lot of races and is ok on the ovals. She will qualify top-5 at Homestead and win the race. That is my prediction.

Also, I agree that Paul Tracy should retire, he's just not a good driver anymore.

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2010, 18:44
Yup.

Danica is yesterday's news anyway. Her story is played out.

Sato also was given credit for "a great run" by the radio broadcast. Yea, right. He finished 13th (in a 25 car field) and didn't crash in the race. That is what is considered "great" for a KV crash test dummy, I guess.

I did enjoy watching the endless laps of Sato trying to pass Milka though. That was scentilating stuff. I am sure the 18 people actually watching the race on TV, were enjoying that.

You were one of them..that makes you a fan Scott....

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2010, 18:46
Danica Fan, I will give kudo's to your lady for keeping her nose clean, but other's have pointed out and I will too that this form of racing will rarely put you in the top 3. You have to race and pass people aggressively to win, and you need to conquer a fast/loose race car to do it.

Only Motegi seems to provide the kind of race and setup that suits Danica. If they ran at 15 race series there, she would be in the hunt....but alas they don't.

I will be more impressed when she takes the pole on a race track that doesn't suit her....

Anubis
21st September 2010, 21:39
I've been pondering quite why Danica goes so well at Motegi but struggles elsewhere. I can only think that it isn't her knowledge of the track helping, but that the track itself may demand less nuanced setup than other ovals, which means her lack of setup knowledge is less of a disadvantage. I just can't see how she can be (by her standards) so much more competitive at Motegi? Be interesting to see how she goes at Homestead, but the stats don't point to anything, as she's finished lower than her grid position in every previous start there.

FormerFF
22nd September 2010, 02:52
I am now a Milka Duno fan. I know she hasn't won in a long time (ever? maybe a fuel mileage race?) but she's been in a lot of races and is ok on the ovals. She will qualify top-5 at Homestead and win the race. That is my prediction.

Also, I agree that Paul Tracy should retire, he's just not a good driver anymore.

Actually, she was a winning co-driver in a Grand Am race, twice. In other words, she didn't get lapped, and Andy Wallace got the car to the front. She also had a number of class wins in ALMS, back when LMP 675 was lightly contested and she drove for the strong Dick Barbour team.

Hoop-98
22nd September 2010, 03:29
I've been pondering quite why Danica goes so well at Motegi but struggles elsewhere. I can only think that it isn't her knowledge of the track helping, but that the track itself may demand less nuanced setup than other ovals, which means her lack of setup knowledge is less of a disadvantage. I just can't see how she can be (by her standards) so much more competitive at Motegi? Be interesting to see how she goes at Homestead, but the stats don't point to anything, as she's finished lower than her grid position in every previous start there.

Serial on Danica at Motegi

Patrick Serial

Start 10
restart Lap 10 10th
Passed 4/37 Lap 11 P8
Passed by 4 lap 39 P8
Pitted P8 Lap 42
Restart P6 Lap 48
Pitted 6 Lap 71
Restart P7 Lap 77
Passed 11 (Kanann) Lap 77 P6
P5 Lap 102 (Matos Pit)
P4 lap 104 Mutoh Pit
lap 117 Pit Caution P4
Restart Lap 122 P4
Pit P4 Caution Lap 150
Restart P5 Lap 167
Finish P5 Lap 200
net positions Improved Green Flag Racing 4 (3 on-track pass 1 on track passed) 2 drivers on alternate strategy had to pit
net positions improved Caution Pitting 1

NaBUru38
23rd September 2010, 02:57
Danica's pit crew did a great job. Mmm, why would Andretti give the best mechanics to Danica instead of Kanaan (the best oval driver of the team)? My bet is that Danica managed to save fuel without getting overtaken (on the contrary), which allowed the team to add less fuel to the car and thus making her stop less time.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd September 2010, 07:47
Serial on Danica at Motegi

Patrick Serial

Start 10
restart Lap 10 10th
Passed 4/37 Lap 11 P8
Passed by 4 lap 39 P8
Pitted P8 Lap 42
Restart P6 Lap 48
Pitted 6 Lap 71
Restart P7 Lap 77
Passed 11 (Kanann) Lap 77 P6
P5 Lap 102 (Matos Pit)
P4 lap 104 Mutoh Pit
lap 117 Pit Caution P4
Restart Lap 122 P4
Pit P4 Caution Lap 150
Restart P5 Lap 167
Finish P5 Lap 200
net positions Improved Green Flag Racing 4 (3 on-track pass 1 on track passed) 2 drivers on alternate strategy had to pit
net positions improved Caution Pitting 1

Damn facts bite people in the @ss every time. She passed 3 on track...which isn't much, but isn't bad either.

Not sure why Motegi works for her, but as it was said, it is a track where being tight doesn't seem to hurt you......

As to the assertion that Andretti gives her a better pit crew, they don't, but I do think if they all have a good day on pit road, they are not the factor the pit crews are in NASCAR where you pit 9 times a race either...

beachbum
23rd September 2010, 16:40
Damn facts bite people in the @ss every time. She passed 3 on track...which isn't much, but isn't bad either.

Not sure why Motegi works for her, but as it was said, it is a track where being tight doesn't seem to hurt you......

As to the assertion that Andretti gives her a better pit crew, they don't, but I do think if they all have a good day on pit road, they are not the factor the pit crews are in NASCAR where you pit 9 times a race either...It was reported she burned up most of her PTP early in the Motegi race, when one position didn't matter as much. Since 2 of the cars she passed were teammates, I doubt they put up much of a fight and may have been saving the PTP for later in the event when it really mattered.

Part of being a "race driver" is knowing how to run a full race to the best advantage, not follow the Marco Andretti style of "see car - pass car". She almost always uses most of her PTP opportunities early in an event.