PDA

View Full Version : The first 2011 Silly Season driver/team thread

Pages : [1] 2

MDS
11th September 2010, 16:36
Since the schedule is out now I thought I’d put together my first silly season list, its September anyway and we should see at least one major announcement at Homestead. We will know the sport is getting better the shorter the season is. Hopefully there will be fewer last minute deals, drivers and their teams will be able to stay together during off season and come back stronger. The less movement we see the better the sport is honestly.

Andretti Autosport
The team is looking at getting all four of its drivers back, with deals locked in for three of their four teams they can focus on finding more money for Ryan Hunter Reay

Penske Racing/Team Penske Racing
Penske is on record saying the plan is to remain a three-car team in 2011. Castroneves' contract goes through next year, Will is unsigned, but will probably be the champion, so if there is an odd man out it would be Briscoe, but he might have to take a pay cut to remain at Penske if sponsorship cannot be found.

Target Chip Ganassi
No third car for Graham, no major changes expected. Scott Dixon is talking about wanting to form his own team, but is under contract for 2011. There is a chance that Chip decides to help Scott form a satellite team

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Never hear anything about these guys, they’re field filler with a loyal sponsor. ABC will probably be returning but they don’t seem to be putting any effort into securing a second sponsor or building their operation.

KVRT
KV Racing wants to be back with three cars next year. Lotus is back and that probably means Takuma Sato is back as well. As for the other two ride buyers... there are a lot of free agents out there and Lotus may want a British driver.

Panther
Supposedly Graham Rahal is close to closiing deal for 2011 for the No. 4 National Guard car. Quick Trim and NTB could join as associate sponsors. They are looking at possible second car for Ed Carpenter, Dan Wheldon or anyone who either can bring money or they could build a deal around.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
I heard that HP is a two year deal but Matos is clearly on the hot seat and he's at the end of a two-year contract. They would like to expand to a second car but are in the same situation as Panther. Could be a possible destination for Graham Rahal or Dan Wheldon.

HVM
Simona de Silvestro says she wants to be back in Indycar next year, and of course Keith Wiggins wants her to come back with HVM. Simona's people are looking for sponsorship for her, Keith's people are looking for sponsorship for her and also looking for another ride buyer/more sponsorship for a second car.

Conquest
Apparently Eric Batchelart has realized he needs to build his team around a driver and Bertrand Baguett realized he’s not F-1 bound anymore and they’re talking about next year. It looks like they’ll have Baguett in a full-time ride with a rent-a-car available for ride buyers.

FAZZT
Tagliani has a four year contract. They’re supposedly committed to finding a second car for a Canadian driver; Paul Tracy and James Hinchcliff are seen as the mostly likely candidates at this point.

Newman Hass
This team is still in flux. I don’t think anyone knows what NHR’s 2011 plans are.

Dreyer and Reinbold Racing
Will be back with cars and a couple of part time deals in 2010, but who the drivers will be is anyone’s guess. Justin Wilson and Z-Line only has a one-year contract and both could go somewhere else. Mike Conway will probably be back if his recovery goes as planned.

AFS Racing
Will be a one-car satellite team for Andretti in 2011 most likely with Adam Carroll driving.

Sarah Fisher Raciing
More than likely will remain a one car, part time team unless more funding is found.

Rahal Letterman Racing
Could be back full time if they find a sponsor. I would expect they will be back at Indy and possibly a few other races.

Dale Coyne Racing
Who knows... seriously both drivers are on one-year contracts. Alex put a bit of his own money into the deal and would like to move up and honestly has the results to merit a better ride, Milka might not be allowed back.

Possible new teams

Walker Racing Partners
Supposedly Derrick Walker and Greg Beck will have a full time team in 2011, if sponsorship can be found. They’re talking with J.R. Hildebrand, but could be a destination for a number of drivers.

Bryan Herta Autosport
I think he's targeting 2012 as his first full season but his plan calls on making the Indy 500 this year and he'd like two have two cars in the race.

Known and likely free agents in absolutely no order, some are looking harder than others, and some are available if someone wants them.
Justin Wilson (Have sponsor will travel)
Graham Rahal
Paul Tracy
Dan Wheldon
J.R. Hildebrant
Alex Lloyd
Milka Dunno
Jonathan Summerton
John Edwards
James Hinchcliff
Bruno Junquaria
Oriol Servia
Franck Perrera
J.K. Vernay
Daniel Morad
Kevin LaCroix
James Rossiter
Ana Beatriz
Stefan Wilson
Ed Carpenter
Mario Moreas
E.J. Viso
Bruno Senna
Sebastien Bourdais
Conor Daly (Will probably be full time in Indy Lights, but should be at Indy and few other races, possibly with Sam Schmidt Motorsports)
Dan Wheldon
Jan Heylen
Scott Speed
Casey Mears (Only because he will never get a mildly competitive ride in NASCAR again)

Chris R
11th September 2010, 17:00
I'd like to see Andretti cut back to a two car operation with Hunter-Reay and Kanaan... I know family means that Marco needs to be there too - but if they want to realistically compete for the championship again they need to focus more on their cars that can win without luck (i.e. Tony and Ryan).... Perhaps the same thing can be accomplished with a spin-off team - instead of a 4 car team maybe run two two cars teams.....

Rahal to Panther sounds promising - but I hope he can have a veteran teammate to help with setups etc. as Graham is still young and relatively inexperienced...

I am guessing Newman-Haas will just fade away....

If D&R can continue to step it up they could become more competitive yet - would be nice to see JW stay there and to add another "legit" driver - if that works for them to allow JW to occasionally compete for a win....

Overall, I'd like to see at least two more teams step up to the top level and/or Ganassi and Penske take a step backwards - the series needs it to be mixed up a bit more to be interesting.... It would be great to see 6-8 winners from 6 teams next year.....

i should add that it is not like what I have to say matters!!

harvick#1
11th September 2010, 17:38
Ganassi needs a 3rd car and put Simona in!!!!!!!!! and finally put the nail in the Danica coffin

Jag_Warrior
11th September 2010, 20:05
Ganassi needs a 3rd car and put Simona in!!!!!!!!! and finally put the nail in the Danica coffin

I'd absolutely LOVE to see that. I really would. Danica aside, I'd just like to see Simona in a car and on a team that's hitting on all cylinders. And of course, I'd like to see Michael "The Man" Cannon come with her.

As for some of the names on that list (the "free agents"), I wouldn't hold out much hope of seeing Bruno Senna, Casey Mears or Sebastien Bourdais racing in the IRL anytime soon. There has to be some desire on the driver's part. And I've not read a word from any of those three that they have any desire to race in the IRL. One could throw Nelson Piquet, Jr. in the mix too. But I wouldn't reserve a hotel room for him in St. Pete either. And second, there is the question of paying them (or expecting them to bring $) - and right now, most IRL teams need drivers who can bring $.

vintage
11th September 2010, 22:15
The idea of Ganassi putting Simona in a car is only slightly more likely than Penske picking up Ana Beatriz.

seppefan
12th September 2010, 11:41
Another driver looking to make the 2011 grid is Dillon Battistini but as usual needs money, here is hoping as he would be excellent.

vintage
13th September 2010, 05:44
I recall Battistini really struggiling on the road courses.

Scotty G.
13th September 2010, 16:11
As with all "Silly Season" lists in Indy Car racing, it all comes down to ride-buyers and who can write the checko. So, predicting who goes where and what teams field what (at this time of the year) is basically pointless. Hell, Penske doesn't even have a sponsor.

Some fearless (and probably incorrect) :p predictions though...

-KV scales back to 2 cars, and they are Sato and Wheldon. Casey Mears runs a 3rd car (sponsored by GEICO) at Indy.

-Townsend Bell runs the ovals for SSM, with Herbalife sponsorship.

-Sarah Fisher runs the ovals only in her #67 car, and she hires a 2nd driver to run the #66 car (also on the ovals only). They get the TEAM money, for one car (which they didn't get this year).

-Levi Jones runs a 2nd Foyt car at a few oval races (including Indy). Bernard is going to make this happen.

-Carpenter runs the #20 car for Panther/Vision racing on the ovals and JR Hildebrand runs the #20 car on the road/streets. Rahal, Carpenter and Hildebrand are all entered at Indy for Panther/Vision racing at Indy.

-FAZZT hires Kevin Lacroix or Andrew Ranger to run a 2nd car program for their team. They want a French-Canadian first-and-foremost.

-Paul Tracy runs selected races for D&R, including Indy.

-EJ Viso replaces countrywoman Milka Duno at Coyne, in the #18 car.

-Simona goes to Newman-Haas and replaces Mutoh. Car becomes #78 at Newman-Haas.

-Indy Lights champion JK Vernay replaces Simona at HVM. Indy Car incentives ($$$) get Vernay into the ride.

-Briscoe is farmed out to Luzco-Dragon and replaces Matos in the #2 car. Hamilton returns in a 2nd car and runs 4-5 races (including Indy).

-Hornish Jr returns to Penske at Indy, in the #6 car. 3 Penske cars at Indy (Helio, Power and Hornish).

-Robby Gordon, Kasey Kahne and Casey Mears are the 3 Cup drivers, who enter the Indy 500.

-Danica Patrick, Ryan Briscoe and Graham Rahal enter the Coke 600.

ChicagocrewIRL
13th September 2010, 17:55
I would like to see Buddy Rice back in a competitive ride and Scott Sharp. But of course I am probably just dreaming.

Anubis
13th September 2010, 18:20
Schumacher to quit F1 and go for an Indy 500 win? I'm joking...

Hoop-98
13th September 2010, 18:46
TommyKendall11 (http://twitter.com/TommyKendall11) http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/
Heard KV Racing is talking to a Russian oligarch about running a kid named Ivan Tearingsuspensionov. @jimmyvasser (http://twitter.com/jimmyvasser) said, "He's fast!!"

rh

Chris R
13th September 2010, 18:48
TommyKendall11 (http://twitter.com/TommyKendall11) http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/
Heard KV Racing is talking to a Russian oligarch about running a kid named Ivan Tearingsuspensionov. @jimmyvasser (http://twitter.com/jimmyvasser) said, "He's fast!!"

rh

lol

Chris R
13th September 2010, 18:50

of course, it makes sense - he is coming over with Ferrari - they patched things up and it will be like the glory days.... can you imagine what will happen the first time he swerves toward the guy next to him at Indy????

SoCalPVguy
13th September 2010, 22:58
Andretti Autosport
The team is looking at getting all four of its drivers back, with deals locked in for three of their four teams they can focus on finding more money for Ryan Hunter Reay

It is my opinion that the Princess and Go Daddy will blow out of AA and ICS at the end of the 2010 season and concentrate solely on Nascar.

SoCalPVguy
13th September 2010, 23:04
TommyKendall11 (http://twitter.com/TommyKendall11)

rh

Don't forget about his mamma... Ivanna Writuabigchecksi !!!

MDS
15th September 2010, 00:12
Verizon is leaving Penske's Cup operation to move over to the Indy side.

The word from Sirius is that Verizon has informed Penske that it isn't planning on sponsoring Allgaier, who is fourth in the Nationwide standings right now. Sirius reports that Verizon doesn't plan on leaving Penske but will put more of its dollars into the IndyCar part of its program.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/rumors

MDS
15th September 2010, 03:33
More from Jayski and Sirius Speedway

"It's true that they're evaluating their NASCAR investment right now," said Penske Racing Vice President of Marketing and Communications Jonathan Gibson, "and it's true that they may increase their involvement with our IndyCar program."

Things like this can only be good for the sport. Verizon was the only sponsor, outside of Danica's, that did any activation this year and its great to see them expand their presence in Indy.

I have been saying for a while that you have to build credibility with companies and the more Fortune 500 companies invested in the sport the more credibility you have. If and when Verizon makes the its announcement its upping its involvement with Indy it will help every other team out there looking for a sponsorship.

NickFalzone
15th September 2010, 04:17
This news about Verizon is definitely good for the series, and a bit surprising to me. Penske and in particular Will Power deserve a lot of credit for getting this big sponsor involved. Certainly Will's success on track this season in the Verizon car has played a huge part in their decision to devote more resources to this series. I can imagine that they've gotten the most bang for their buck out of any of the sponsors this season, with that car nearly always running up front.

Lousada
15th September 2010, 15:29
This news about Verizon is definitely good for the series, and a bit surprising to me. Penske and in particular Will Power deserve a lot of credit for getting this big sponsor involved. Certainly Will's success on track this season in the Verizon car has played a huge part in their decision to devote more resources to this series. I can imagine that they've gotten the most bang for their buck out of any of the sponsors this season, with that car nearly always running up front.

It's not that surprising. Their hands are tied with Nascar because Sprint is the official wireless/mobile sponsor. Whilst in Indycar they are themselves official wireless sponsor and they also sponsor the best driver/team.

NickFalzone
16th September 2010, 00:40
It's not that surprising. Their hands are tied with Nascar because Sprint is the official wireless/mobile sponsor. Whilst in Indycar they are themselves official wireless sponsor and they also sponsor the best driver/team.

Well, I still say it's surprising because... how does the IndyCar series rate on the sports/sponsor map? You're comparing it to NASCAR, but these days that's a ridiculous comparison. I'm just saying that it's surprising and nice to see a major sponsor like Verizon find value in the ICS, regardless of the fact that they are with a great driver/team. A lot of the "big" sponsors outside of IZOD have been around during the "Good" years and have sorta just tagged along now in the not so good years. To pick up a big new sponsor like Verizon in this slump is very good to see.

MDS
16th September 2010, 23:25
There's been some tweeting going on that leads me to believe that all is not as settled at the top two teams as I thought it was...

There will probably be a Rahal announcement at Homestead, although it may not be what we initially expected. Someone recently pointed out to me Graham still has a relationship with McDonalds as does Ganassi, its probably idol speculation but there could be something to it.

A lot of speculation comes from Graham's talking about working on a big deal that's finally done, and a tweet from Marshall Pruitt, who is about as well connected as possible, about, "A very skilled American driver's in position to join 1 of the 'Big Two' teams in 2011" But that doesn't have to mean ICS. Conor Daly has been very impressive in Mazda Star and I wouldn't be shocked if Ganassi or Penske decided to start a FIL team next year to bring him up... Although Graham has been chasing a deal with the big two like a champ for the past year or so.

chuck34
17th September 2010, 21:15
Conor Daly has been very impressive in Mazda Star and I wouldn't be shocked if Ganassi or Penske decided to start a FIL team next year to bring him up...

I would be very shocked if that happened. Both Conor and his dad have stated over and over that F1 is their goal. I would imagine that he will be over in Europe next year, what series I don't know. But then again maybe no one wants him over there?

seppefan
18th September 2010, 14:33
I recall Battistini really struggiling on the road courses.

In the Panther Lights car yes, they engineer quick oval cars and not road course cars it seems. Battistini won the Asian F3 series which is only on road courses so figure he has the ability and just needs the right car.

EagleEye
19th September 2010, 01:10
Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
T Kanaan
TBD
-Look for a major team shake up if they do not get all their funding back for 2011. They want to secure RHR, but might loose him. TK might look to buy out his contract and go elsewhere.

Power
HCN
TBD

Power and HCN are a lock. The third seat could be open, several drivers have talked to Cindric and the Capt. Justin Wilson might have an inside edge, as he barely lost out to Power, but RHR, Rahal, and Kanaan could end up in this prized seat.

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario
TBD

For the third straight year, the team is trying to get sponsorship for a third car, and the talk is they might just have it. RHR, Rahal, JR might have the inside track as the goal is to get an american in the seat.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Ride buyer ~1
Ride buyer ~2
Ride buyer ~3

Look for Sato to return, with Mutoh, or who ever else writes a check.

Panther
Graham Rahal
TBD2

Ed Carpenter did himself well, and could end up in a second car, even if on a part time basis. Graham has first dibs on the seat. He he passes, look for Wilson or RHR. Kanaan might also be a long shot.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
Briscoe
TB2

Briscoe will head to this team, as time has passed with Matos. One interesting note has Simona in the second car, though it might be a rent a ride.

HVM
Simona

Unless she gets picked up elsewhere, she should be beack, but money is a huge issue.

Conquest
Baguett
TBD

Baguett has secured his place for next year, but funding is very tight. The team hopes to keep key people in place.

FAZZT
Tagliani
TBD

Pagenaud has a chance for the second seat.

Newman Hass
TBD 1
TBD 2

Nuff said.

Conway
TBD2
TBD 3

AFS Racing
TBD

Carrol or RHR, or?

Sarah Fisher Racing
Fisher/TBD

Part time team unless more funding is found, and looking to rent the car for road races. That is IF funding can be found.

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2

Possible

Walker Racing Partners
TBD

Hope Derrick can get funding for a car. Pagenaud would be his first choice.

Bryan Herta Autosport
TBD

Unless funding is found, Indy only.

Rahal
TBD

Servia if funding can be found.

New Team A
TBD

An old owner has been making noise of having a team. Depends on $$

Mark in Oshawa
21st September 2010, 18:57
Well, I still say it's surprising because... how does the IndyCar series rate on the sports/sponsor map? You're comparing it to NASCAR, but these days that's a ridiculous comparison. I'm just saying that it's surprising and nice to see a major sponsor like Verizon find value in the ICS, regardless of the fact that they are with a great driver/team. A lot of the "big" sponsors outside of IZOD have been around during the "Good" years and have sorta just tagged along now in the not so good years. To pick up a big new sponsor like Verizon in this slump is very good to see.
Verizon gave Penske Racing a whack of money to sponsor Keselowski in the NW series and the rest for the Indycars.....

I think they may be surprised by the results from the IRL, but I don't know if they were real active in telling Roger to put Will in their car or not. I do think they gave Roger a check and said get us exposure for our brand and let Roger do the rest.

I think the Indycar sponsorship by Verizon was a throw in on top of the NW deal at Roger's insistence but it has worked out well.....

MDS
27th September 2010, 20:59
One of the rumors that keep popping up is that Sarah Fisher will retire from full time racing to focus on building her team.

Supposedly Dollar General liked the response it got from sponsoring Graham and is considering upping or continuing its involvement in the sport next season but wants to be in markets like Alabama, Mid-Ohio St. Pete and Baltimore where Fisher isn't going to be competitive but an experienced road racer could be, like how Graham finished eighth at St. Pete. There are almost 1,000 Dollar General stores in Florida and Alabama alone markets they won't reach through the ICS doing an oval-only schedule.

Given the number of talented drivers looking for work it could make sense for Fisher to step aside for driver whose talents would be better suited to the current face of the ICS.

Oli_M
27th September 2010, 21:40
One of the rumors that keep popping up is that Sarah Fisher will retire from full time racing to focus on building her team.

Supposedly Dollar General liked the response it got from sponsoring Graham and is considering upping or continuing its involvement in the sport next season but wants to be in markets like Alabama, Mid-Ohio St. Pete and Baltimore where Fisher isn't going to be competitive but an experienced road racer could be, like how Graham finished eighth at St. Pete. There are almost 1,000 Dollar General stores in Florida and Alabama alone markets they won't reach through the ICS doing an oval-only schedule.

Given the number of talented drivers looking for work it could make sense for Fisher to step aside for driver whose talents would be better suited to the current face of the ICS.

Seriously? If this is true, then, well, once again I guess we'll all be giving massive support to Sarah. She's clearly got a great talent in combining the business side with the racing side - dare I say it I struggle to think of any more than two other teams that can do it to this level. Great personality, a great sponsor who clearly sees the potential in both her and IndyCar. This is EXACTLY the sort of thing Indycar needs to be promoting.

Scotty G.
28th September 2010, 05:15

You mean a driver like JR Hildebrand?

You never know.... ;)

One thing for certain....DG wants a clean cut, wholesome American driver to sponsor. Its why they went along with Rahal. Its who will be in the car, once Sarah retires.

Unless JR gets a better offer, he's the best bet.

I am evil Homer
28th September 2010, 15:14
Update: Lotus confirms KV commitment and will expand to 2 (presumably both Lotus-branded) cars next year. Can only hope they get a better driver.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87051

Chamoo
28th September 2010, 15:41
Update: Lotus confirms KV commitment and will expand to 2 (presumably both Lotus-branded) cars next year. Can only hope they get a better driver.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/87051

Would it be fair to say PT probably has an inside line on one of those cars?

I would think that PT and Wheldon will be heavily considered. PT due to the connection at KV with Vasser, and Wheldon with the British connection to Lotus.

MDS
28th September 2010, 16:14
Would it be fair to say PT probably has an inside line on one of those cars?

I would think that PT and Wheldon will be heavily considered. PT due to the connection at KV with Vasser, and Wheldon with the British connection to Lotus.

Takuma's back for next year and look for him to be joined by a British driver, Wheldon has thrown his name in, but the best British driver is Justin Wilson and the guys at KV would love to work with him.

Also KV isn't run by fools, if they have the opportunity to put a driver in a seat and not expect him to bring any money they are going to go after the best guy they can get. Yes this was the year of ride buyers, but when they had sponsorship they put Will Power and Oriol Servia in their cars. If Lotus is paying full freight for two cars they're going to go for the best driver available. I think Sato has shown enough flashes of speed to merit a second year and driver continuity is a big thing in the sport. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Graham Rahal, Wilson Ryan Hunter Reay or even Sebastien Bourdais as both Jimmy and Kevin hold Seabass in high regard.

Mark in Oshawa
28th September 2010, 16:24
Takuma's back for next year and look for him to be joined by a British driver, Wheldon has thrown his name in, but the best British driver is Justin Wilson and the guys at KV would love to work with him.

Also KV isn't run by fools, if they have the opportunity to put a driver in a seat and not expect him to bring any money they are going to go after the best guy they can get. Yes this was the year of ride buyers, but when they had sponsorship they put Will Power and Oriol Servia in their cars. If Lotus is paying full freight for two cars they're going to go for the best driver available. I think Sato has shown enough flashes of speed to merit a second year and driver continuity is a big thing in the sport. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after Graham Rahal, Wilson Ryan Hunter Reay or even Sebastien Bourdais as both Jimmy and Kevin hold Seabass in high regard.

If Lotus wants to maximize their bang for the buck and KV want to keep the carnage down, they lose Sato....

Chamoo
28th September 2010, 16:48
If Lotus wants to maximize their bang for the buck and KV want to keep the carnage down, they lose Sato....

I'll call it right now, just thought about it, James Hinchcliffe in a KVRT car in 2011. He can bring some money to the table, not enough to cover a full ride, but it would complement what Lotus is bringing in.

I am evil Homer
28th September 2010, 16:48
I think Sato is getting a seat, he's part of the deal (he's Honda's after all) and Lotus wants to sell its new Evora in Japan...and who knows he may calm down. Maybe. He does have talent but always has brain fade.

Wilson would be an excellent choice....even if Lotus is Malaysian now everyone thinks it's British. I like Wheldon but Justin is a better driver.

MDS
1st October 2010, 04:41
I'm hoping to see at least one driver/team announcement this weekend at Homestead, but haven't heard anything yet. Here are some notes

Paul Tracy was rumored to be close to a deal with D&R for next year but the team informed him that he Bia would be driving at Homestead via text message... needless to say that pissed Paul off and he went public about that, so not sure how much the bridges got burnt in the process.

Jonathan Summerton is Homestead

Dillion Battistini is going to drive for Bryan Herta in what is effectively a tryout for next year.

Sebastien Saavedra will have some people from Derrick Waller's FIL team around him this weekend.

EagleEye
4th October 2010, 15:35
Talk about ending with a wimper! After racing in front of one of the worse crowds anyone can remember, and even a worse TV audience, one has to ask why?

But if money comes about and teams show up next year, here is the latest:

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica/TBD
TBD/TK
TBD

-Look for a major team shake up if they do not get all their funding back for 2011. Word is they are not getting all their funding back, and major changes are in place with only Marco being set.

Danica is being pulled hard by GD and NASCAR to go full time to NASCAR with her running at Indy only. This should be decided prior to speedweeks.

TK has been granted a release (it he wants), as 7-11 is either gone or reducing its funding.

If the team keeps 7-11 look for Marco or RHR to pick it up ont their car.

Power
HCN
TBD/Briscoe

Power and HCN are a lock.

The third seat could be open, several drivers have talked to Cindric and the Capt. Justin Wilson might have an inside edge, as he barely lost out to Power, but RHR, Rahal, and Kanaan could end up in this prized seat. Briscoe went in and agreed to a lower price and might retain the seat.

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario-?
TBD/TK

For the third straight year, the team is trying to get sponsorship for a third car, and the talk is they might just have it. RHR, Rahal, JR might have the inside track as the goal is to get an american in the seat.

IF TK is available, and the money is there, Chip might finally land the driver he has been after for some time.

Some talk of Dario retiring has surfaced as well. IF he does retire, look for Chip to secure TK in a second.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Ride buyer ~1
Ride buyer ~2
Ride buyer ~3

Bring a check, and make it out to Dallara. Sato, Mutoh in play, as is anyone else with a check.

Panther
TBD1
TBD2

Ed Carpenter did himself well, and could end up in a second car, even if on a part time basis. Graham has first dibs on the seat. If he passes (and it looks like he has) look for Wilson or RHR. Kanaan might also be a long shot.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TB1
TB2

Time has passed with Matos and the team is looking for a solid leader. Wilson, RHR, Rahal and Pagenaud. One interesting note has Simona in the second car, though it might be a rent a ride.

HVM
TBD

Money is a huge issue, and this could end up being a last minte deal.

Conquest
Baguett/TBD
TBD

Baguett has secured his place for next year, but funding is very tight. The team hopes to keep key people in place.

FAZZT
Tagliani
TBD

Pagenaud has a chance for the second seat.

Newman Hass
Rahal 1
TBD 2

The team is looking to get backing for two cars, and would welcome Wilson and Rahal. Too early to tell.

Conway
TBD2
TBD 3

Money and ride rides buyers fill this team out. Wilson might be back.

AFS Racing
TBD

AFS could be the fourth AA car, with RHR in the seat. Too early to tell.

Sarah Fisher Racing
Fisher/TBD

Part time team unless more funding is found, and looking to rent the car for road races. That is IF funding can be found.

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2

Possible

Walker Racing Partners
TBD

Hope Derrick can get funding for a car. Pagenaud would be his first choice. That old money thing is the key.

Bryan Herta Autosport
TBD

Rahal
TBD

Servia if funding can be found.

New Team A
TBD

TURN3
4th October 2010, 18:24
EE...why not mention of Tracy as potentials at DRR & KV? He publicly stated he's talking to them both and they're just short a portion of the sponsorship. Seems those would be good updates on your list. (And by the way I'll have my fingers crossed that it's KV full-time next year)

Lousada
4th October 2010, 18:44
EE...why not mention of Tracy as potentials at DRR & KV? He publicly stated he's talking to them both and they're just short a portion of the sponsorship. Seems those would be good updates on your list. (And by the way I'll have my fingers crossed that it's KV full-time next year)

I think PT and DRR will never be friends again after what happened before Homestead. I heard that PT was pretty close with Team Red Xtreme (it was something like that). But so far that team only confirmed Indy next year.

Also, not that anyone will care, but Sebastien Saavedra is pretty sure to paradrop in somewhere. He is very involved with Walker so that might be something.

Scotty G.
4th October 2010, 18:54
1. I think PT and DRR will never be friends again after what happened before Homestead.

2. Also, not that anyone will care, but Sebastien Saavedra is pretty sure to paradrop in somewhere.

1. They are still "friends". D&R did exactly what they did for EVERY other race after Indy for the #24. They took the best check for the seat. Conway paid for much of that ride and when he went away, most of that car's funding went away with him. PT knew the deal for Homestead. He bought his way into the seat for a few races too.

2. His family checkbook will probably get him something. Its gotten him this far.

Scotty G.
4th October 2010, 19:10
Its still way early, but a few possibilities that EE didn't mention:

Walker/Beck- Summerton. I heard this might be a done deal.

Fisher- Hildebrand (Sarah may retire or just run Indy next year). JR fits Dollar General well and he fits that team well.

Panther- 2nd car could go a number of different ways. Simona is a possibility. Carpenter is as well (for ovals). If Wheldon starts a team, Ed is a possibility with DW as well (Dan and Ed got along great this year). Kanaan could figure in with Wheldon's team as well (with strong Honda backing). That's if, Wheldon's team even gets off the ground.

Also, if AA loses 7-11 and TK (which looks to be the case) and if RHR goes to Panther in the #4 car (which could happen) and Dale Patrick takes Go-Daddy to NASCAR Nationwide full-time with Indy as her only Indy Car race (which also could happen), then could Andretti Autosport be in serious jeopardy for 2011? At least of falling to midpack (at best) status?

I think this could be the team, that Wilson ends up for 2011. He brings a sponsor (Z-Line), so that will get him about anywhere he wants to go. Marco, Wilson and Adam Carroll as the full-timers, with DP running Indy only in the 4th car.

I'd also expect a deal to be worked out, where TK keeps the #11 whereever he lands. Its become his number and that should be a priority for the sport for driver recognition/marketing.

EagleEye
4th October 2010, 19:27

It is still too early to tell on PT. Things were set then, not set.

I love PT, but there are some other dominos that have yet to fall.

TK would be first on most lists, and since I last posted (hours ago) add Penske to the mix. TK at the top with Wilson, Rahal, RHR being the next group. Then you have PT, kind of on an island.

I'd rather see PT end up somewhere other than KV, to be honest. Maybe back with NH?

TURN3
5th October 2010, 02:15
It is still too early to tell on PT. Things were set then, not set.

I love PT, but there are some other dominos that have yet to fall.

TK would be first on most lists, and since I last posted (hours ago) add Penske to the mix. TK at the top with Wilson, Rahal, RHR being the next group. Then you have PT, kind of on an island.

I'd rather see PT end up somewhere other than KV, to be honest. Maybe back with NH?

NH? No kidding...interesting thought. Appriciate the info.

Also wondering if the Rahal team TBD has anything to do with TK? TK likely isn't bringing a sponsor so you'd think if the funding keeping him from a 3rd car he'd go with Rahal.

Like I said, going to be an interesting silly season...thankfully.

MDS
5th October 2010, 04:31
Some more info about Simona's "Sponsor"

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/7870/stargate-video-game-heads-to-court.html

Placid
6th October 2010, 01:39

IT DOES NOT HURT TO DREAM.

Placid
6th October 2010, 01:45
I would be very shocked if that happened. Both Conor and his dad have stated over and over that F1 is their goal. I would imagine that he will be over in Europe next year, what series I don't know. But then again maybe no one wants him over there?

There are plenty of series where he can start if C.D. decides to go over the Atlantic. There is the British F3, the Euro Series, or even GP3 / WSR.

I am pulling for Hildebrand to land a full time IRL ride. But to wonder, the young driver program in F1 is next month. Will there be a 2nd chance for JR?

MDS
6th October 2010, 02:04
Graham Rahal has a massive choice to make. Go for the best available ride, which could be almost anything honestly, or make the choice to build Rahal Letterman over the long term, which could be in his best interest given he stands to inherit his father's share at some point.

Conor Daly and Graham Rahal are good, good friends . They're in Ohio talking with Bobby this week. Given that the NTB deal is a two year deal that would give them time to build the team back up and launch an FIL team for Conor with the aim of moving him into IndyCar in 2011 with two of the highest profile young American drivers.

I was told if you see Graham making an appearance on Letterman expect an announcement on that show.

garyshell
6th October 2010, 02:41
Last night on Letterman there was a woman who showed a champion sweet potato she had grown or developed. The presentation was about it being useful for chips or ethanol. When the woman suggested it would produce enough fuel for Dave's Indy car he sharply retorted "Lady, I don't have a car." Clearly a touchy subject for him.

Gary

glauistean
6th October 2010, 05:44
MDS,

good breakdown from so far back. Only one issue has come up and that is Seven Eleven is leaving and Tony has to get sponsorship or no ride.

Chamoo
6th October 2010, 13:28
I could see APEX/Brazil stepping up to sponsor TK. They are a big supporter of Brazilian drivers, and TK is their top man.

Placid
6th October 2010, 19:39
I also like to see Cafe Do Brazil or Petrobas to step up for TK as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoop-98
6th October 2010, 20:06
From the HVM site...

Simona and HVM Racing will be teamed together again in the 2011 IndyCar Series and their focus will now turn to the changes, improvements and financial structure that will be implemented before the first race.

Simona De Silvestro – Driver – “We have tremendous chemistry as a team and money can't buy that. I am thankful for the chance Keith gave me this year and for Imran’s support. The whole team has come a long way. We faced a lot of adversity, yet we remained strong and that speaks to the character and cohesiveness of our team and my supporters. We have proved we can run up front, despite the funding challenges from sponsorship short falls.”

Keith Wiggins – HVM Racing Team Owner – “When we started this season we could not have anticipated the challenges we would face, both financially and on track, with incidents and equipment damage. However we could not also have anticipated the development of Simona in such a short period. The team and driver showed what is possible. Now it is time to put 2010 behind us and do the job properly in 2011. This team knows how to win and we are focused on getting the right package together to move forward. ”

rh

http://e2ma.net/userdata/23214/images/templates/spacer.gif

Jag_Warrior
6th October 2010, 20:08
Considering that Kanaan is probably the second most popular Brazilian IRL driver, behind Helio Happy Feet, I think you guys are right: APEX, Cafe do Brazil or some other Brazilian company will step up and get him in a car next year. If he ends up without a ride next year, I'll be surprised.

Speaking of companies backing drivers, let me ask this to EagleEye (or anyone else in the know): did IZOD resent being "guilted" into having to come up with the money to keep their face man, Ryan Hunter-Reay, in a car? It doesn't sound like they have any intention of fully sponsoring a car again next year. Did that create some tension with the series sponsor?

jackmart
6th October 2010, 20:31
^^ interesting

I know Izod did a commercial with Graham but he was driving in his 02 car so I think they got rid of it. I know it was like part of water sports or something so I wonder if he was supposed to be in the race to the party commercial.

Placid
7th October 2010, 03:05
The merry-go-round had reached to Andretti Autosport. Ryan Hunter-Reay is without IZOD. RHR is another to pass up. Hopefully he can get a ride. If he heads to Grand-Am or ALMS, he will be done. I like to see Lotus, Virgin or HRT open a door and give him a test.

MDS
7th October 2010, 05:05
The merry-go-round had reached to Andretti Autosport. Ryan Hunter-Reay is without IZOD. RHR is another to pass up. Hopefully he can get a ride. If he heads to Grand-Am or ALMS, he will be done. I like to see Lotus, Virgin or HRT open a door and give him a test.

Ryan has a contract with Andretti for next year. They signed it right around the Indy 500. It might be contingent on finding sponsorship but Ryan isn't ride shopping.

EagleEye
7th October 2010, 16:48
TK is talking to everyone, but Ganassi might have the edge. Chip wanted TK badly a few years back, and he and Dario are great friends. And, TK desperately wants to win the 500, and this would put him in position to accomplish that goal. And, with Dario mulling retirement, having TK onboard as a teammate or replacement would be good for the team.

Of course, if Penske comes calling, that would also require consideration. And, rumor is he has. Briscoe could be out, and TK in, if the team has the funding to do so. His long time engineer Eric Cowden is at Penske, and the two had success in the past. This would also put TK in position to win the 500, so either of these two opportunities seem likely.

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica/TBD
TBD

They are not getting all their funding back, and major changes are in place with only Marco being set. Danica has an opt out clause, and it will be interesting to see what she and her advisors will do. Her being a named a NASCAR driver for speaking engagements might give you a glimpse of her future.

The team hopes to have three/four cars for next year, and should have at least two, but the money is not there right now.

TK has been granted a release (it he wants), as 7-11 is either gone or reducing its funding.

RHR has also been told to look since they do not have funding for him but they are working on trying to land something in order to keep him in a car.

Power
HCN
TK/Briscoe

Power and HCN are a lock.

Briscoe to stay if they do not go after TK or someone else.

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario-?
TK/TBD

For the third straight year, the team is trying to get sponsorship for a third car, and the talk is they might just have it. TK would have the edge, as noted above. That might depend on where Dario is at.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Ride buyer ~1
Ride buyer ~2
Ride buyer ~3

It was noted on AR1 that they are looking to TK. TK and JV are pals, but they team only has a history of cashing others checks, and I could ony see this if they line something up sponsor wise for TK. Or, if TK does not get picked up by the big two, and needs a ride just before the season starts, and he lowers his price.

TK wants to win the 500, and this team did not get PT in the show last year. And, they wrecked a few cars along the way. A lot of -few- cars.

Look for Sato and Mutoh in two cars, with a floating third car for another check provider.

Panther
TBD1

Graham had first dibs on the seat and passed. Wilson or RHR. Kanaan might also be a long shot, as this might be a good spot if the big two don't make him a good offer.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TB1
TB2

Time has passed with Matos and the team is looking for a solid leader. Wilson, RHR, Rahal and Pagenaud. One interesting note has Simona in the second car, though it might be a rent a ride. Could be another chance to land TK, depending on the team's financials especially if the Captain steps in. Could be a home to Briscoe if TK goes to Penske. Yes, I am confused!

HVM
TBD

Money is a huge issue, and this could end up being a last minte deal. They love Simona, but they owe money...and getting more for nest year might be a stretch.

Conquest
Baguett/TBD
TBD

Baguett has secured his place for next year, but funding is very tight. The team hopes to keep key people in place. The second car could be a rent a ride, but if Wilson does not land anywhere, he could surface here with his old engineer, and team he started with in Champcar.

FAZZT
Tagliani
TBD/No $$

Pagenaud has a chance for the second seat. They talked ot TK, and would sign in a second, but money would have to be found for the 2nd car. Money is tight.

Newman Hass
TBD 1
TBD 2

The team is looking to get backing for two cars, and would welcome Wilson and Rahal. Too early to tell.

Conway
TBD 2
TBD 3

Money and ride rides buyers fill this team out. Wilson might be back.

AFS Racing
TBD

AFS could be the thrid/fourth car working out of the AA camp. RHR in the seat or Carroll. Too early to tell.

Sarah Fisher Racing
Fisher/TBD

Part time team unless more funding is found, and looking to rent the car for road races. That is IF funding can be found.>>>Please send funding to this great team! Sarah might step aside and run Indy only, as she thinks the comp has passed her by. Wheldon, interestingly has been talked to. the team has great chemestry, and one can only hope they find a good fit.

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2

Could Milka the moving chicane return? One hopes not.

Walker Racing Partners
TBD

Hope Derrick can get funding for a car. Pagenaud would be his first choice. That old money thing is the key. Another good place to fund a team.

Bryan Herta Autosport
TBD

Rahal
Rahal

Looking at running Graham, if it makes sense. Servia if funding can be found.

New Team A
TBD

Money, money, money----

SoCalPVguy
8th October 2010, 00:46
Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica/TBD
TBD

They are not getting all their funding back, and major changes are in place with only Marco being set. Danica has an opt out clause, and it will be interesting to see what she and her advisors will do. Her being a named a NASCAR driver for speaking engagements might give you a glimpse of her future.

The team hopes to have three/four cars for next year, and should have at least two, but the money is not there right now.

-

I still think that Go Daddy and the Princess will be gone from ICS to Nascab full time in 2011 and that Andretti, given the loss of 7-11, will be lucky to field 2 cars and may only field one. I estimate an overall field size reduction in ICS in 2011 vs. 2010.

I don't think anybody here really has an appreciation on how bad the US economy really is now and indications are that it will continue into 2013. With creeping socialism, high health care costs, and uncertainty of upcoming much higher taxes, so far US business have been parking billions of potential business dollars on the side. However, when it becomes less risky to invest in foreign countries like Chine vs. domestically, you will begin seeing these funds leave the US and these are exactly the types of funds that would have been spent on luxury advertising like auto racing. Even Nascar is seeing sponsorship start to drops as well as well as less fans being able to afford the travel/ticket cost to see races live.

jackmart
13th October 2010, 04:43
So I was thinking the idea of 3rd car at TCG was really possible with Graham but looks like not so much...

Whether that's with a -- I wouldn't think a third car is in the cards at Target Chip Ganassi Racing.

http://www.racingwest.com/news/articles/24312-qa-with-dario-franchitti-and-chip-ganassi.html

MDS
13th October 2010, 06:02
So I was thinking the idea of 3rd car at TCG was really possible with Graham but looks like not so much...

I don't know why everyone thought Graham was going to end up at Ganassi. Service Central is a competitor of Target among other reasons.

Graham is in Florida meeting with the Service Central people this week. They're close to an announcement for next year.

Placid
14th October 2010, 03:47

Conor Daly is currently testing GP3. And he showed progress.

Log to

http://www.gp3series.com

chuck34
14th October 2010, 12:30
Conor Daly is currently testing GP3. And he showed progress.

Log to

http://www.gp3series.com

Cool I wish him luck.

EagleEye
14th October 2010, 15:06
I don't know why everyone thought Graham was going to end up at Ganassi. Service Central is a competitor of Target among other reasons.

Graham is in Florida meeting with the Service Central people this week. They're close to an announcement for next year.

Prior to Graham's getting sponsorship, RB was key to get an american in a great seat, and Graham was the current free agent of choice. Since his deal was complted, you are correct that this would not happen. Especially now with TK being an option.

Ganassi is going to wait a bit until Dario gives him a go, no go for next year. I have heard it is everyting from 60-40 to return, to 60-40 to retire, so maybe it really is 50-50. Dario might end up in sportcars, but it is his call.

If Dario retires, then TK would be Chips first choice. Even if Dario returns, Chip might make a play for TK. If the american driver push is still strong from RB, then RHR might make sense.

At this time, Graham looks set to return to his Dad's team.

Enjun Pullr
14th October 2010, 15:23
Eagle, your PM's are off. Selective adjustment?

EagleEye
14th October 2010, 16:09
Eagle, your PM's are off. Selective adjustment?

Should be all sorted.

jwhite9185
14th October 2010, 19:42
Any more news on AFS racing? Will the team be full time? Will they be based out of the AA shop using their equipment? And im guessing that If AA run less than 4 cars, some of the crew might end up there too.

Scotty G.
15th October 2010, 14:59
Jay Howard was on Trackside with Cavin/Curt last night, and he said he will have a Indy 500 ride for 2011.

He said Service Central will buy his ride for him again.

He hinted it will be linked with Graham's deal (teammate to Graham).

Sounds like a 2nd car with Rahal/Letterman Racing, to me.

Otto-Matic
15th October 2010, 15:51
Jay Howard was on Trackside with Cavin/Curt last night, and he said he will have a Indy 500 ride for 2011.

I hope he can finally make the field. He got screwed by Roth in '08.

garyshell
15th October 2010, 22:27

According to Graham that is BS:

From IndyHungary:@jayhoward66 (http://twitter.com/jayhoward66) and @GrahamRahal (http://twitter.com/GrahamRahal) are teammates at Indy nxt year? ROX!
Then from Graham:@IndyHungary (http://twitter.com/IndyHungary) I can tell you contrary to what he says, that is false.

Gary

Scotty G.
15th October 2010, 22:42
I hope he can finally make the field. He got screwed by Roth in '08.

No, he got bumped out of the ride, because he had been awful in practice that week.

Curry had worked with John Andretti before and John is a superior driver to Jay.

Pretty easy call for Maddog Marty.

jackmart
16th October 2010, 05:34

Here is an article that seems to go along with Graham having a chance at TCG

Graham Rahal says he has landed a major sponsor. Now the IndyCar driver has to find the right team that could nudge him toward Target/Chip Ganassi Racing as driver of a third car. Rahal's agent, John Caponigro, confirmed that Chip Ganassi's team is certainly one that he is talking to about giving Rahal a ride in 2011.
"You're darn right, we are talking to Ganassi," Caponigro said. "We want to get Graham on one of the top teams in the series and that team is certainly at the top of the list."
Rahal's sponsor is TBC Retail Group and has entered into a multiyear spokesperson and sponsorship association with him to represent its family of tire and automotive retail brands. Now that a sponsor is in place, they are actively negotiating with several IndyCar Series teams, including Ganassi and Rahal Letterman Racing, to place Rahal in their car.
"Again, we are talking to a lot of teams," Rahal said. "Dad's team did a good job for me at Indy, but the best thing for me to do is not be in my father's shadow. I need to do it on my own. We have not canceled anything out, but we have a lot of teams in play

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_martin/10/11/Johnson.Fontana/#ixzz12Ueo6buv.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/bruce_martin/10/11/Johnson.Fontana/

Then as posted arleady Graham says that its false taht he is teaming up with Jay Howard at least for Indy. I wonder why Jay would say that?? Instersting

Enjun Pullr
16th October 2010, 10:20
OK, here's some fantasy based on fact and rumor:

Fact: Ganassi has partnered with Sam Schmidt for the last two years to run a car at Indy.

Fact: Sam Schmidt bought Vision Racing's shop and equipment about three months ago. If that included any Dallaras, there was no mention of it that I have seen.

Rumor: This was posted yesterday by a guy who has connections to Rahal, and he doesn't often drop stuff in public:

"Methinks the demise of a third car at Ganassi is greatly exaggerated "

That guy would know if Graham plans to run with his Dad, or if Graham is still working on a Ganassi deal.

Fantasy: Graham is still working a deal with Ganassi, who will run a third car as a satellite team at Sam Schmidt Motorsports.

Scotty G.
17th October 2010, 06:15
Rumor: This was posted yesterday by a guy who has connections to Rahal, and he doesn't often drop stuff in public:

"Methinks the demise of a third car at Ganassi is greatly exaggerated "

That guy would know if Graham plans to run with his Dad, or if Graham is still working on a Ganassi deal.

Fantasy: Graham is still working a deal with Ganassi, who will run a third car as a satellite team at Sam Schmidt Motorsports.

Very perceptive, Grasshopper.

That person who has "connections" to Rahal, is RLR's PR guy. And he knows exactly what is going on. If he says Ganassi very well could be running a 3rd car, then Ganassi is probably going to run a 3rd car.

Your thought about Ganassi running the 3rd car (with Sam Schmidt's team), sounds pretty doable. That way, Chipper can "run" Graham (and not deal with Target's demands about matching $$$ for any additional GANASSI RACING entry) in a satellite operation. He can call it "Ganassi/Sam Schmidt Motorsports", with it mostly being filled with Ganassi people and using some equipment from SSM. Could even be run out of SSM's new shop (which IS, Vision Racing's old digs).

There have been WAY too many rumors linking Graham with Ganassi, to think its not eventually going to happen someway.

MDS
22nd October 2010, 02:18
According to Jayski two former open wheel drivers are out of their NASCAR rides and looking for job.

Apparently Richard Petty Motorsport is in the process of folding and Casey Kahne is going to move from RPM to Red Bull. That means both Scott Speed and A.J. Allmendinger are looking for a job.

Yes Indycar might not be their first, or second, choice, but RPM going away is a big thing. That's four cars that won't be in the field potentially, and they may just be the first team to fold over the off-season. Its going to be harder to find paying jobs and probably harder in the Nationwide and Camping World series as well.

With Sam Hornish, Scott Speed, A.J. Allmendinger and Michael McDowell job hunting there's a growing chance at least one of them could end up at KV or Newman Haas.

Mr. Mister
22nd October 2010, 22:53
With Sam Hornish, Scott Speed, A.J. Allmendinger and Michael McDowell job hunting there's a growing chance at least one of them could end up at KV or Newman Haas.

I doubt it.

Hornish is most likely to go to Nationwide with Penske, and with a more road course-heavy schedule, his value to an IRL team has to be a bit less.

Speed has always been critical of IndyCar racing and still has a contract with Red Bull (the sponsor); they'll find him some ride, and since they have no involvement in IndyCar, I don't think it will be there.

A.J. Allmendinger's lack of a ride is speculative at this point, and he wants to be in NASCAR. A lot of team owners have expressed interest and he may retain the Best Buy funding if RPM disappear.

Michael McDowell? He ran a total of one Champ Car race and is having a great time starting-and-parking various cars. If you're doing start-and-park, you obviously want to be a part of NASCAR, so I feel like that's just no chance.

And they'd all need funding to return if that's what they wanted to do. It seems unlikely and, quite honestly, I'd prefer fresh, new talents.

beachbum
23rd October 2010, 00:04
Speed's contract had a clause that they could release him if he wasn't in the top 16 in points. Considering the quality of the Red Bull cars, I suspect he knew this day was coming for some time and he is now a free agent. But that could change if Vickers isn't cleared to race.

Jag_Warrior
23rd October 2010, 03:13
I doubt it.

And they'd all need funding to return if that's what they wanted to do. It seems unlikely and, quite honestly, I'd prefer fresh, new talents.

For the reasons you listed (among others), I also doubt that we'll see any of those guys in the IRL anytime soon.

But on the other hand, I would dearly love to see Allmendinger and Speed in competitive cars on different teams. Why? Because they apparently hate each other with a passion! For those who watched CCWS in its dying days, you surely remember how Allmendinger suddenly became a feisty terrier, even versus his former mentor, Paul Tracy.

Maybe Allmendinger and Scott Speed have kissed & made up since their feud started. But probably ten years ago I remember reading in AutoWeek how the two of them had spared in go-karts and lower formulas... and had absolutely no use for each other. Having these two in the IRL would (FINALLY!!!) give us two hard charging personalities, who would surely duke it out on the track... and maybe off the track too! Something akin to the old CART days of Michael Andretti vs. Paul Tracy (anybody remember that?) or Robby Gordon vs. Michael Andretti.

Imagine A.J. or Scott producing something like this, with one placing the other's picture on it.

http://img216.imagevenue.com/loc125/th_98580_TracyCapnCrunch_122_125lo.jpg (http://img216.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=98580_TracyCapnCrunch_122_125lo.jpg)

So yeah, I'd LOVE to see some talented guys, who bleed race fuel, come into this series. Some guys (or gals) who also have big personalities and oversized egos... and who could do an interview that wouldn't sound like someone politely asking for extra mustard on their hotdog. :s nore:

But as you correctly said, why pay for a ride in the IRL when you can make better money (and get at least as much media coverage) starting & parking cars in Sprint Cup or the Nationwide series? But if we're lucky, maybe we'll get a new crop of (slightly) more talented GP2 washouts than some of the ride-buyers we have now though. :dozey:

Scotty G.
24th October 2010, 06:50
I doubt it.

1. Hornish is most likely to go to Nationwide with Penske, and with a more road course-heavy schedule, his value to an IRL team has to be a bit less.

2. Speed has always been critical of IndyCar racing and still has a contract with Red Bull (the sponsor); they'll find him some ride, and since they have no involvement in IndyCar, I don't think it will be there.

1. Hornish actually was much better on road/street courses then some would like to think he was in Indy Cars. Go look at how many times he made the Fast 6. Plus, his "value" in Indy Cars, is because he won the only race in Indy Cars that truly matters.

2. Speed's an asshat. And has never shown much actual driving talent either. Maybe he ought to actually accomplish something in racing before he has to go find a real job.

TURN3
24th October 2010, 16:03
1. Hornish actually was much better on road/street courses then some would like to think he was in Indy Cars. Go look at how many times he made the Fast 6. Plus, his "value" in Indy Cars, is because he won the only race in Indy Cars that truly matters.

2. Speed's an asshat. And has never shown much actual driving talent either. Maybe he ought to actually accomplish something in racing before he has to go find a real job.

On Hornish, when he was in Indycar the field was a weak 18 cars. Hornish is a perfect example of why the IRL was supposedly created. He got his chance because of it, never would've had there not been a split. He wasn't horrible in Atlantics but he wasn't that great either. Turned into a fantastic oval driver but while not Danica bad on roadies, wasn't competitive pure and simple. But you're right, he is a former 500 winner and there is his value. All that said, he isn't coming back to Indycar unless it is for a 1 off deal at the 500.

Pretty much correct on everything with Speed except since when do you have to accomplish anything to be in racing? Including the most popular driver award winner, 3/4 of the field has accomplished no more than he has. And that is sad, pathetic, etc. as we all know. Like Hornish, he isn't coming back though. Red Bull has no intentions of going Indycar racing. Possible exception would be a one off at Indy the same way.

Scotty G.
25th October 2010, 08:07
On Hornish, when he was in Indycar the field was a weak 18 cars.

He still was competing on the road/street courses against Helio, Dixon, Dario, Herta, Kanaan, Franchitti, Briscoe, Hunter-Reay and Marco during 2006 and 2007.

And he was competitive on the road/streets.

Is the field now, really that much better in talent? Sure, there are 8-10 more cars. But how many of those are actually being driven by talented drivers or talented teams? Not many.

The field now is a little more talented then it was in 2007, just on sheer numbers. But not that much more.

Chamoo
25th October 2010, 14:33
Is the field now, really that much better in talent? Sure, there are 8-10 more cars. But how many of those are actually being driven by talented drivers or talented teams? Not many.

On the road courses, this series is 10x more talented then it was when Hornish was around, on road courses. Sure, there are a bunch of no name drivers a lot of people like to refer to on here, but all of these foreigners come from road racing backgrounds.

Hornish would be mid-pack at best on the twisties now, but would probably still come close to dominating the ovals, if he is in the right car.

TURN3
25th October 2010, 15:05
He still was competing on the road/street courses against Helio, Dixon, Dario, Herta, Kanaan, Franchitti, Briscoe, Hunter-Reay and Marco during 2006 and 2007.

And he was competitive on the road/streets.

The field now is a little more talented then it was in 2007, just on sheer numbers. But not that much more.

Scotty, your head strong attitude for what YOU want to be the right answers doesn't work very often. Your definition of "competitive" must be different than mine. Hornish was a joke on roadies although he DID show improvement. He certainly didn't have Dan Wheldon's road course skills and look how he faired the past few seasons. Hornish wasn't stupid, he left to go NASCAR racing when his stock had just passed its peak. With increasing road courses on the schedule, Penske wasn't going to keep him around forever because he just wasn't good enough. I'm sorry, he just didn't have the speed to cut it. Just because you want to believe he did doesn't make it fact. Ovals, different story.

Scotty G.
25th October 2010, 19:28
1. Hornish was a joke on roadies although he DID show improvement.

2. Hornish wasn't stupid, he left to go NASCAR racing when his stock had just passed its peak. .

1. A joke? You need to go check the records. The facts, say otherwise.

Was he as good as Dario, Dixon and Helio? No. Nobody in the league is or was either. But he was a consistant top 8 qualifier and finisher. And he was getting better and better.

He was probably about the equivelant of Will Power on ovals this year.

2. No, he wasn't stupid. He left for big money and because his wife wanted him to leave. He left for the big leagues of American racing. He has failed in the big leagues of major league racing.

Lousada
25th October 2010, 21:54

The facts:
Hornish
2006: 8th @ St.Pete, 12th @ WG, 9th @ Sonoma.
2007: 7th @ St Pete, 2nd @ WG, 14th @ MO, 5th @ SO, 12th @ BI.

Danica
2006: 6th @ SP, 8th @ WG, 8th @ SO
2007: 8th @ SP, 11th @ WG, 5th @ MO, 6th @ SO, 2nd @ BI.

Nearly equal.

TURN3
26th October 2010, 02:34

Was he as good as Dario, Dixon and Helio? No. Nobody in the league is or was either. But he was a consistant top 8 qualifier and finisher. And he was getting better and better.

He was probably about the equivelant of Will Power on ovals this year.

2. No, he wasn't stupid. He left for big money and because his wife wanted him to leave. He left for the big leagues of American racing. He has failed in the big leagues of major league racing.

The facts:
Hornish
2006: 8th @ St.Pete, 12th @ WG, 9th @ Sonoma.
2007: 7th @ St Pete, 2nd @ WG, 14th @ MO, 5th @ SO, 12th @ BI.

Danica
2006: 6th @ SP, 8th @ WG, 8th @ SO
2007: 8th @ SP, 11th @ WG, 5th @ MO, 6th @ SO, 2nd @ BI.

Nearly equal.

Thank you Lousada...like I said Scotty...a JOKE! This was with 16-18 car fields with only 8 quality cars. 8, count 'em. And where did he usually finish? As pointed out, he finished generally equal to Danica, and in today's league she's a joke. Like I said before Scotty, just because the things you have in your head are what you WANT to believe, doesn't make it real. Hornish couldn't compete on todays schedule and we all know it.

As I pointed out though, he was getting better. He was actually working his tail off to his credit. But he just never had that type of talent. Amazing on ovals though.

You can swallow now Scotty.

Scotty G.
26th October 2010, 14:27
Hornish couldn't compete on todays schedule and we all know it.

Bullcrap.

The field is full of no-talent hacks. Many of the teams are on welfare.

You put Sam in a Penske car again, and he is top 3 or 4 in points. Today. There are only 7-8 quality cars in the sport today. Penske's 3, Ganassi's 2 and a couple from Andretti. No different in that regard then 2007.

Will Power almost won the damn championship by being average (at best) on ovals (never won a race).

Sam could do the exact same thing in reverse.

You can now swallow too, Turn 3.

Chris R
26th October 2010, 15:22
Scotty & Turn - you guys are pretty much both right......

TURN3
26th October 2010, 17:39
Bullcrap.

The field is full of no-talent hacks. Many of the teams are on welfare.

You put Sam in a Penske car again, and he is top 3 or 4 in points. Today. There are only 7-8 quality cars in the sport today. Penske's 3, Ganassi's 2 and a couple from Andretti. No different in that regard then 2007.

Will Power almost won the damn championship by being average (at best) on ovals (never won a race).

Sam could do the exact same thing in reverse.

You can now swallow too, Turn 3.

Comparing Will's ovals to Sam's road courses isn't going to work either Scotty. Will either won or finished top 3 on every single road course. By comparison, Sam wouldn't (even in a Penske) win or finish top 3 on every single oval (which there are fewer than road courses). Sam, as factually pointed out to you, was basically Danica on road courses. Where does she finish on roadies? Oh yeah, back of the pack. How about a comparison to another former series champ and Indy winner...Dan Wheldon. How does Dan do amongst today's no talent hacks?

You have no rationalization Scotty. Go ahead, its a thick pill. Don' choke, ahhh yes. That's it Scotty. Now sip some water and take a lil' nappy nap.

And by the way, Sam isn't coming back to Indycar and unless he has some major sponsorship dollars (which he doesn't), nobody would hire him anyway. Roger isn't taking him back...Chip wouldn't even consider him, and Andretti is only taking ride buyers. So that pretty much only leaves the possibility of a 1 off at Indy with a mid to back of pack team as the only prayer.

Dr. Krogshöj
26th October 2010, 18:17
I'm sure you two would agree that it would be the best to actually see what Sam could do in IndyCar in 2011 instead of a theoretical debate about it.

TURN3
26th October 2010, 23:15
I'm sure you two would agree that it would be the best to actually see what Sam could do in IndyCar in 2011 instead of a theoretical debate about it.

Actually I wouldn't, but I don't disagree with your philosophy and I understand what you are saying. My point is that I think Sam's ship has sailed. He's isn't competitive on road courses in a day when road courses are the majority of the schedule. He's been a complete failure in NASCAR and his value to Indycar isn't that high (who's is?). The guy was amazing on driver's ovals (i.e. Richmond, Kentucky, etc.) but I don't want to see Sam Hornish any more than I want to see EJ Viso. I really don't want to see either of them, I would prefer to see somebody like JR Hildebrand, James Hinchcliffe, or Graham Rahal (which we will but was out of a full-time gig last year).

I liken Hornish to a Dan Wheldon (without the attitude). Great oval drivers and good at Indy, but otherwise they are pretty irrelevant. Dan did have a couple of half way respectable drives on roadies this year but those were few and far between. We don't need any 1 trick ponies, we need truly talent open wheel drivers...in all facets of the sport.

Now if Hornish found a ride with somebody like Coyne or Conquest where it wasn't taking away from a legitimate contender on a mid-upper level team...then so be it. That would be better than a Mario Romancini in my opinion.

Scotty G.
26th October 2010, 23:26
1. How about a comparison to another former series champ and Indy winner...Dan Wheldon. How does Dan do amongst today's no talent hacks?

2. And by the way, Sam isn't coming back to Indycar and unless he has some major sponsorship dollars (which he doesn't), nobody would hire him anyway.

3. Roger isn't taking him back...

1. Wheldon regularly runs in the top 8 on ovals running for a midpack team. He ran around 10th on the road courses this year. He has finished 2nd in the only race in Indy Cars that actually matters, the past 2 years.

And Sam is a better driver then Dan.

2. Your right. Indy Car owners only care about finding drivers who will fund them. That's why there are only 2 teams in the sport worth a damn.

3. Roger would boot Briscoe to the curb tomorrow, if Sam wanted to come back. Roger only cares about winning Indy. And Sam has done that. Briscoe and "No oval wins in his life" Power, have not.

Plus, Sam has won Indy Car championships. Something that Helio has never done.

Helio, Sam and Power would make a hell of a Indy Car team. All 3 would likely finish in the top 5 in Indy Car points, and 2 of the 3 would give Roger a legit shot at winning Indy.

Plus Turn 3, you were the one that said that "Sam couldn't compete in today's Indy Car series". You be wrong. He'd compete just fine in a Penske car.

Scotty G.
26th October 2010, 23:29
I liken Hornish to a Dan Wheldon (without the attitude). Great oval drivers and good at Indy, but otherwise they are pretty irrelevant.

Being good at Indy (and winning Indy) trumps all the other Indy Car events about 10 fold.

Being good at Indy, doesn't make you irrelevent. Quite the opposite, actually. Like Danicker or not, but her star was made at Indy in 2005. Without her Indy 500 result, she is nothing.

Being good at St. Pete or Toronto (and finishing 18th at Indy), makes you irrelevent.

Sorry if some of you want to make the series into some 18 race, "every event is equally important" deal. And sorry if some of you want this utopian "our champion has to be great at everything and win on various courses". But the truth is, the sport only matters because of the 3 weeks every year in May at IMS. Without it, we have Star Mazda on steroids. A nice little series, with some nice little races. But irrelevent.

TURN3
26th October 2010, 23:47
Well Scotty, you continue to put your own foot in your mouth. Just because Sam is your idea of the great American hope and you despise anything other than such, isn't going to get Sam back. Penske isn't getting rid of anybody on his current team for Sam. That is a fact, we all know it. Why would he? Briscoe has won ovals and contended for a championship...he's good on roadies. Castroneves has won on ovals, 3 time Indy champ, and is good on roadies. Power dominates roadies, and would've won this years championship if it weren't for 3 oval races he got screwed by his crew on. Sorry, I'm not buying the "Will Power can't race ovals" bit. The only oval mistake he made all year was at Homestead when it was go for it all time. Big deal. I'm sure Roger sits up at night wondering which one of those 3 championship contenders he gets rid of to make room for a guy that would likely finish around 10th.

With regard to Indy and its relevance, thank you for agreeing with me an supporting my earlier statements. That is why I think the only chance you'll see Hornish in an Indycar is a 1 off at Indy...he would be a good candidate for that. Or now that I think about it, maybe he can do the Ed Carpenter schedule next year and only run ovals.

garyshell
27th October 2010, 06:08
...He has finished 2nd in the only race in Indy Cars that actually matters...

Being good at Indy (and winning Indy) trumps all the other Indy Car events about 10 fold...

So why should we even bother to have any other races. Scotty?

Gary

Scotty G.
27th October 2010, 14:30
1. Just because Sam is your idea of the great American hope and you despise anything other than such, isn't going to get Sam back.

2. Penske isn't getting rid of anybody on his current team for Sam. That is a fact, we all know it.

1. Yes, he'd be one of America's best hopes for a Indy Car driver. Him and Rice, are the only 2 American drivers to win the Indy 500 since 1998. He is the only American to win a Indy Car championship, in the last decade.

Who are the "American hopes"? Marco? Graham? Danicker? What the hell have they shown?

And I don't despise anything else. Just realize that there are really good reasons why .nothing ratings are the norm today and very few sponsors want to get involved. Losing guys like Sam and Rice, are 2 of the biggest reasons why.

2. IF Sam told Roger today he wanted to come back to Indy Cars, Briscoe would be gone. THAT is a fact. This is Sam's choice to race in NASCAR. Its what his family wanted (more specifically, his wife). He is making a great living, no matter how he does. Penske still loves him and will keep him in Nationwide, if Cup goes away. Penske would LOVE for him to come back to Indy Cars. Penske cares most about winning Indy. And 2 of his 3 drivers have never proven they can seal the deal at Indy. Sam has.

Those of you that think Sam would be a midpacker now, driving for Roger Penske, are delusional. And those that think that Penske wouldnt' want him back are really delusional.

Scotty G.
27th October 2010, 14:33
So why should we even bother to have any other races. Scotty?

Gary

You are missing the point, Gar.

When someone says that Hornish or Wheldon would be "irrelevent" because of doing well at Indy, then they have no idea what they are talking about.

Sure, you need other races. And some are very good events. But without the Indy 500....this sport is absolutely nothing. It would be just another formula car series, that nobody cares about. The Indy 500 gives it relevence.

garyshell
27th October 2010, 16:00
2. IF Sam told Roger today he wanted to come back to Indy Cars, Briscoe would be gone. THAT is a fact.

In the fantasy world that is Scotty G's own little fiefdom, the line between speculation and fact is non existent.

via Dictionary.com:

Fact  /fækt/ –noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

5. Law . Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence.

Gary

Chris R
27th October 2010, 16:31
2. IF Sam told Roger today he wanted to come back to Indy Cars, Briscoe would be gone. THAT is a fact. This is Sam's choice to race in NASCAR. Its what his family wanted (more specifically, his wife). He is making a great living, no matter how he does. Penske still loves him and will keep him in Nationwide, if Cup goes away. Penske would LOVE for him to come back to Indy Cars. Penske cares most about winning Indy. And 2 of his 3 drivers have never proven they can seal the deal at Indy. Sam has.

Those of you that think Sam would be a midpacker now, driving for Roger Penske, are delusional. And those that think that Penske wouldnt' want him back are really delusional.

I have to agree with Gary - how is this FACT?? You MAY be right - but too many people can come up with too many reasons either he wouldn't go back or Roger wouldn't take him back.... We cannot forget that the theoretical choice isn't between Sam and Ryan - it is between Sam and ALL other potential drivers.... I don't see how Sam gets the ride IF it were to be open..... It is not like Hornish was one of the great Penske drivers of all time and it is not like he has been that successful for Penske overall (especially relative to other drivers to whom Penske has shown GREAT loyalty...).

TURN3
27th October 2010, 17:37
When someone says that Hornish or Wheldon would be "irrelevent" because of doing well at Indy, then they have no idea what they are talking about.

And who said this? Where did this come from? I believe you're making a desparate attempt to hide the fact you're in left field by putting words in my mouth. I never said, "Hornish or Wheldon were irrelevant BECAUSE of doing well at Indy." To the contrary, specifically I mentioned that Hornish would be a good candidate for a 1 off at Indy. If Wheldon ends up without a ride next year I would think he would aso be a good candidate for a team looking to run just the 500. Other than that, they are both irrelevant.

And I'd also point out that even though Sam has been a great open wheel oval driver and won Indy, other than that year at Indy he has struggled there. If I were choosing between the two, I'd take Wheldon with a far better track record. An that's tough for me to say because I'd rather give him a reason for another new set of teeth.

Jag_Warrior
27th October 2010, 20:39
I've always thought of Hornish as a very good IRL driver on ovals, but no more than a mid-pack driver on road/streets. As far as Penske making room for him on the IRL team, should he choose to give up his NASCAR dream, Penske has never indicated that AFAIK. All that Penske has said is that Hornish was free to pursue a seat with some other team, if he wanted to, since Mobil 1 dropped Hornish's ride in NASCAR. Why would Penske bounce someone like Briscoe to make room for Hornish? I could see him possibly bouncing Briscoe to get Tony Kanaan, because he's a more complete package. But why would he take Hornish over Briscoe? Since he's shown no sign of doing that, I'd say it's far from being a "fact".

There was an article about this about a month ago on That's Racing.com. It was part of the same article that put down speculation that Dodge might enter the IRL as an engine provider, running with Penske. Ralph Gilles shot that down (saying Dodge was focused on NASCAR) and Penske said then that Hornish was free to pursue other opportunities with other teams. What I took from that article was that if Hornish does return to the IRL, it will probably be with Panther.

TURN3
27th October 2010, 21:36

Talk about delusional...have you taken your meds lately? I guess since you're the only one I know of on this or any other forum with these thoughs of your boyfriend Sam, all of us fans are "delusional" and you're the normal one.

Scotty G.
27th October 2010, 23:25
But why would he take Hornish over Briscoe?

The Indy 500.

Simple as that.

Scotty G.
27th October 2010, 23:29
Talk about delusional...have you taken your meds lately? I guess since you're the only one I know of on this or any other forum with these thoughs of your boyfriend Sam, all of us fans are "delusional" and you're the normal one.

What do you have against Sam?

Sam's accomplishments in Indy Cars are right there for you. Can you read? Can you comprehend?

Would you rather us add another no talent hack instead? Or someone who won 3 Indy Car championships and is a Indy 500 winner?

Penske cares MOST about winning the Indy 500. Who do you think would give him the better chance of doing that? Hornish or Briscoe?

Enough said.

Scotty G.
27th October 2010, 23:39
It is not like Hornish was one of the great Penske drivers of all time.

He won 8 races.

He won a championship.

He won Indy.

In Penske's book, that makes him one of the great ones that has driven for him.

As a comparison, Sam won 8 races for Penske in 4 years. Al Jr. won 12 races for Penske in 6 years. Both averaged 2 wins a year. Both won Indy once with Roger. Both won a championship with Roger.

Is Al Jr one of Penske's "great ones"? I think most would say yes.

ykiki
27th October 2010, 23:48
He won 8 races.

He won a championship.

He won Indy.

As a comparison, Sam won 8 races for Penske in 4 years. Al Jr. won 12 races for Penske in 6 years. Both averaged 2 wins a year. Both won Indy once with Roger. Both won a championship with Roger.

It's been pretty entertaining watching everyone go back and forth over Sam Hornish, and I've been content to sit on the sidelines and take it all in.

Now finally something prompts me to write.

I'd say the fields were stronger back when Al Jr was driving for Penske compared to when Hornish was there, and Penske probably know it as well. Do I know this as fact? Of course not. Just like everyone else, an opinion.

TURN3
28th October 2010, 01:39
What do you have against Sam?

Sam's accomplishments in Indy Cars are right there for you. Can you read? Can you comprehend?

Would you rather us add another no talent hack instead? Or someone who won 3 Indy Car championships and is a Indy 500 winner?

Penske cares MOST about winning the Indy 500. Who do you think would give him the better chance of doing that? Hornish or Briscoe?

Enough said.

I have nothing against Sam, I do have something against you.

I've not discredited Sam's accomplishments in the least. I've stated quite clearly what an accomplished open wheel oval racer he was. I've also recognized the fact he is a former Indy winner, albeit the only year he did anything at Indy, it only takes once (see Mario Andretti).

Nope, I've never said Sam is a no talent hack. I do think however that you are a hack. You're going through about your 4th or 5th point, all of which have been blown up by others or myself. This is a typical thread where you're involved.

Since you're choking yourself to death, lets make it simple. The bottom line is, Sam is not coming back to Indycar with Penske and unless he has sponsors, he isn't coming back to run for a team like Coyne or Conquest either. If there were rumors of him in a 2nd car at Panther I would give that some credence because of their history and the fact they don't compete for championships...they compete for Indy. But, those rumors aren't even out there in lieu of Wilson, Rahal, Wheldon, Carpenter, etc. Doesn't seem to be in the works at this point. The only time you have a prayer to see him is at Indy driving in circles on a 1 off. The sooner you realize that and quit making yourself look like an idiot, the sooner you can get to the next topic that will make you look like an idiot all over again.

I'm really sorry you're embarassing yourself like this Scotty. Its ok to face the fact your great American hope won't be Sam Hornish. Maybe you should get on the bandwagon of somebody else? Who would you suggest?

Chris R
28th October 2010, 01:51
He won 8 races.

He won a championship.

He won Indy.

Al fell apart while at Penske - I would not rate him as a great PENSKE driver.... Really the great Penske drivers (i.e. the drivers that had long and productive careers mostly on his team ) were/ are : Donahue, Mears, & Castroneves. Great drivers who had great stints with Penske - both elder Unsers & Fittapaldi and probably Unser Jr. Decent drivers who had decent runs Sneva, Sullivan, DeFerran, Tracy, Hornish. Great drivers who had marginal results (with Penske) Andretti, Bettenausen. Also rans, Bobby Allison, Bill Alsup, Kevin Cogan, Andre Ribero, Gonzalo Rodriguez (RIP). I am sure I am missing some people - but perhaps not - Penske has been pretty stable over the years.....

My point is, I don't think Sam rates a de facto open seat at Penske.

TURN3
28th October 2010, 02:20
If we could move onto actual news:

I haven't seen it anywhere other than the front page of AR1 yet but sounds like Rahal has himself a pretty good gig. Wonder what his salary is out of that $10M. As details emerge it will be interesting to hear everybody's thoughts on this.

EagleEye
28th October 2010, 03:41
Chip finally got that third car.

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
TBD/RHR

RHR might go with TK to NHR.

Power
HCN
Briscoe

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario
Rahal

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Ride buyer ~1
Ride buyer ~2

Panther
Wilson

de Ferran Dragon Racing
Pagenaud
TBD

HVM
SDS

Conquest
Baguett/TBD
TBD

FAZZT
Tagliani
TBD/No $$

Newman Hass
TK
RHR/TBD

Conway
TBD 2
TBD 3

Money and ride rides buyers fill this team out.

Sarah Fisher Racing
Fisher/TBD

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2

Enjun Pullr
28th October 2010, 03:53
So HVM lost their primary sponsor, now partners up with Lola to run in ALMS, and you still say they will run an IndyCar effort? For which they are still short a chassis?

Otto-Matic
28th October 2010, 08:04
So HVM lost their primary sponsor, now partners up with Lola to run in ALMS, and you still say they will run an IndyCar effort? For which they are still short a chassis?

According to the press release Wiggins put out (on Racer & SpeedTv) it sounds like they are committed to run IndyCar next year. If they actually show up or not remains to be seen...

Chris R
28th October 2010, 16:13
so is there any real news on the Rahal/Ganassi deal or is it still speculation??

glauistean
28th October 2010, 16:53
so is there any real news on the Rahal/Ganassi deal or is it still speculation??

Appears as though it is fact. No denial from Ganassi. Sad that once again Sarah Fisher gets a sponsor and loses it to another team. Bigger team. The suggestion is she did not have a "no compete" clause in her contract and Rahal Snr and Jr spent some time with the sponsor over the five races they were with Jr and Sarah.
This is a big sponsor which has NTSB and other notable stores under it's umbrella.
There is no suggestion that Bobby or Graham did anything covert to take a sponsor. In fact it's suggested they compensated her for getting the sponsor(although) that is speculation.

DBell
28th October 2010, 18:18

I've looked at Autosport,Speed and a few others and no mention of this yet... only Mark C. at AR1. I don't have a subscription, but reading what I could on AR1's front page, it said this was in "final negotiations". I'm not saying it isn't true, but I'm waiting until I see Autosport or someone else confirms it.

After looking at again, it said "final stages of agreement". I'm not sure if there is a difference, but for the sake of accuracy, there it is.

Jag_Warrior
28th October 2010, 20:19
The Indy 500.

Simple as that.

Some may, but I don't have anything against Hornish, Scotty. I'm just saying that in order to accomplish what you are suggesting (winning/being competitive at Indy), Penske could just put Hornish in an extra car for Indy (and maybe a warm-up oval prior to May) and do just that. He wouldn't need to fire Briscoe just to have Hornish for the full season, in the hope that he could win Indy. Penske released Hornish to look for employment elsewhere. That is the glaring fact that we can't overlook.

Hornish, as I said, is/was a very good oval driver (in the IRL). But Rick Mears he's not. I'm not really plugged into the news & rumors any longer. But just from the article written a month or so ago, if Hornish returns to the IRL, it will likely be with Panther - there's no indication that it will be with Penske (although that could change). But if Penske wanted him, I don't believe he would have released him and told him to find work elsewhere if he could.

jackmart
28th October 2010, 20:22
Excited for GR to get deal with TCG. Here is the link I am not subscriber but was able to read the entire thing.

http://www.autoracing1.com/article.asp?id=2384

Jag_Warrior
28th October 2010, 20:33
According to the press release Wiggins put out (on Racer & SpeedTv) it sounds like they are committed to run IndyCar next year. If they actually show up or not remains to be seen...

While it'll be great news if young Rahal is able to get himself onto a big player team, I have to admit that it was Simona who I cheered for most of this season... along with Ryan Hunter-Reay. If either or both of those drivers wind up on the sidelines, I can't say that the upcoming season will hold that much interest for me. Probably not enough to force myself to sit through Genius Jack A-root's "tech" segments and the constant fawning over The Danica.

EagleEye, is there ANY (real) chance that Simona could find a decent ride with another team if HVM can't field a car? I don't think she has any/much money though. So if HVM folds, does she end up heading back to Europe and becoming the next Katherine Legge? :(

EagleEye
28th October 2010, 21:22
EagleEye, is there ANY (real) chance that Simona could find a decent ride with another team if HVM can't field a car? I don't think she has any/much money though. So if HVM folds, does she end up heading back to Europe and becoming the next Katherine Legge? :(

She impressed many with her talents and her attitude this past season. HVM is cash strapped, and she could end up somewhere else. I agree, it would be great to see her on solid ground with another team if HVM does not get the funding. Make it a two-fer with her and Canon, and that would give her a good chance to have a solid second season.

There are very few paying rides left...but she deserves and has earned the chance to drive at this level. I'll keep my ears open....

garyshell
28th October 2010, 22:04
Excited for GR to get deal with TCG. Here is the link I am not subscriber but was able to read the entire thing.

http://www.autoracing1.com/article.asp?id=2384

The link no longer works unless you are a subscriber. Anyone know the details of this? Is it a fact or a Cipolini fact?

Gary

Otto-Matic
28th October 2010, 22:08
While it'll be great news if young Rahal is able to get himself onto a big player team, I have to admit that it was Simona who I cheered for most of this season... along with Ryan Hunter-Reay. If either or both of those drivers wind up on the sidelines, I can't say that the upcoming season will hold that much interest for me.

I agree 100%. I rooted for RHR the most and if he still doesnt land a competative ride, after all he's proven, then i dont know how strongly I can follow ICS. yeah $$$ talks but at some point, if you want to be a legit organization that wants to win, talent has to mean something.

garyshell
28th October 2010, 22:16
I agree 100%. I rooted for RHR the most and if he still doesnt land a competative ride, after all he's proven, then i dont know how strongly I can follow ICS. yeah $$$ talks but at some point, if you want to be a legit organization that wants to win, talent has to mean something.

I keep hearing folks make similar comments, but I don't understand how you make that jump of team owner decisions weighing on the legitimacy of the organization. ICS doesn't hire or fire drivers. The team owners do.

Gary

TURN3
28th October 2010, 22:19

I've not had much of a positive or negative opinion of RHR through the years. He has largely been a mid-packer. By that I mean he's not know to run with the top dogs day in and day out. I'm not saying he isn't an asset but, is he really that important? He ran a couple of great races this year but "after all he's proven" doesn't sit well in my opinion. Through his entire career, he's either on or off and that is what he was this year. Aside from those couple of great drives, he was largely mediocre wasn't he?

jackmart
28th October 2010, 22:22
Weird, idk why it would work for me because I am not a subscriber. Here is a quick summary.

It says chip is the final stages of a deal with TBC to pay CGR $10 mil to field Graham. TBC will also pay Rahals salary and Chip can still sell some sponsorship on the car. Then it talks about businessman of Chips says he denied 3rd car possibility so TBC would give him more money. Then it tries to make GR looking bad bye saying TBC should maybe give that money to SFR since that is where he was at the time. It talks about release clauses, blah blah blah, GR is an american hopefully TBC will promote him well and it's good to see an american in good seat. Then it just goes on to say his stats for the past 4 or 5 years.

Scotty G.
28th October 2010, 23:14
I don't think Graham "stole" anything from SFR.

He may have "stolen" the sponsorship from Jay Howard though.

Chris R
29th October 2010, 01:02
I've not had much of a positive or negative opinion of RHR through the years. He has largely been a mid-packer. By that I mean he's not know to run with the top dogs day in and day out. I'm not saying he isn't an asset but, is he really that important? He ran a couple of great races this year but "after all he's proven" doesn't sit well in my opinion. Through his entire career, he's either on or off and that is what he was this year. Aside from those couple of great drives, he was largely mediocre wasn't he?
he was as good or better than his teammates on any given day.... and hte gy has never had a decent ride - often had teams capable of occasional wins but nothing consistent.... not saying he is great - just pointing out that his equipment has rarely given him the opportunity to showcase any talent he may have.....

TURN3
29th October 2010, 03:59
he was as good or better than his teammates on any given day.... and hte gy has never had a decent ride - often had teams capable of occasional wins but nothing consistent.... not saying he is great - just pointing out that his equipment has rarely given him the opportunity to showcase any talent he may have.....

I totally agree. I just never jumped on the bandwagon of him being the chosen one. I realize we need more Americans and he is certainly talented, just not top level. But on those days where he's hooked up he certainly runs up front. Milwaukee several years back he was unreal.

DBell
29th October 2010, 18:57
RHR gets 2 more years at Andretti.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-andretti-signs-hunter-reay-through-2012/

No sponsors announced yet.

EagleEye
29th October 2010, 18:57
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

Power
HCN
Briscoe

If the Captain wants TK, the Captain will get TK.

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario
Rahal

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Ride buyer ~1
Ride buyer ~2

KV Renta Team

Panther
Wilson

Very close to being done.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
Pagenaud
TBD

HVM
SDS

Conquest
TBD
TBD

FAZZT
Tagliani

Newman Hass
TK/TBD
TBD

Trying to get TK. Muto to stay if TK is there?

Conway
TBD 2
TBD 3

Money and ride rides buyers fill this team out. Maybe a deal with PT?

Sarah Fisher Racing
Fisher

Money, money, money. Team might rent itself out for road races, or put another driver in the car for the season.

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2

Enjun Pullr
29th October 2010, 19:20
Wow, that raises some more questions...which apparently won't get answered either.

So I guess we'll see.

MDS
29th October 2010, 19:23
Just a few things...

Andretti is close to singing a two year deal for Ryan's sponsorship. I've heard its one of their existing sponsors who is stepping up to a primary role, so hopefully it will be a Dr Pepper/Snapple car.

I'm also hearing that Takuma Sato is set with KV and Lotus for next year. Don't be surprised if the Panasonic logo moves from NHR to his car next year. He's still popular in Japan and Honda wants him in the series.

Also heard that Rafa has been told he is no longer associated with de Ferran/Dragon.

Chris R
29th October 2010, 19:39
TK and Briscoe at deFerran/Dragon?? That would be a pretty strong lineup to bring that team up a notch...

Enjun Pullr
29th October 2010, 20:10
De Ferran couldn't raise sponsorship to start his own team as planned, so he partnered with Luczo.

Even with HP and Hamilton's Kingdom backing, they couldn't have been very well funded...Davey missed Texas when both cars were wrecked at Indy,and the team could only get one back on track for the following weekend.

Pagenaud, Briscoe, and TK do not have checks. TK likely has the best shot, and would be a perfect fit with Apex and De Ferran. If they run two cars , it would only be thanks to someone who is very well funded.

If Viso isn't running, hows come he was at Dallara for a fitting? There are plenty of other drivers as small in size...Marco was just in Italy last week.

AA is testing at Barber tomorrow, and somebody might be running at Sebring right now alongside the Lights testing. A bisquet on T* said that Hildebrand was testing for Panther today...they have pre-season data from Sebring, so that would make sense. Cars are on track, Sebring wouldn't say who.

De Ferran said on Trackside that Rafa was still in conversation...so I guess some pictures are being left fuzzy by intention, and others snapped too soon.

I'd say "indelicate" is a good word for today.

EagleEye
29th October 2010, 20:22
Just a few things...

Andretti is close to singing a two year deal for Ryan's sponsorship. I've heard its one of their existing sponsors who is stepping up to a primary role, so hopefully it will be a Dr Pepper/Snapple car.

I'm also hearing that Takuma Sato is set with KV and Lotus for next year. Don't be surprised if the Panasonic logo moves from NHR to his car next year. He's still popular in Japan and Honda wants him in the series.

Also heard that Rafa has been told he is no longer associated with de Ferran/Dragon.

RHR should be in the AFS car, not sure about DR.P/Snapple.

Sato and Mutoh looking to buy seats at Renta Team, so Panasonic makes sense.

Rafa was told he was done after Homestead. SP unless they go for TK.

Scotty G.
29th October 2010, 22:32
Many of the pieces are starting to come together...

Andretti- Marco in the #26, Patrick in the #7 and RHR in the #37

Ganassi- Franchitti in the #10, Dixon in the #9 and Rahal (I am thinking in the #42).

Panther- Hildebrand in the National Guard #4 and Wilson in the Z-Line Designs #2

Deferren/Dragon- Kanaan in the TBA #11 and Hamilton (for 3-5 oval races) in the HP #21.

KV- Sato in the Lotus #5

Other wild possibilities....

-Robby Gordon running a car out of the Andretti stable (and it being a Gordon/Andretti joint deal) at Indy. He and his brother-and-law will be teammates.

-Ed Carpenter doing the oval schedule for KV Racing or Dreyer and Reinbold Racing. Number will stay #20.

-Richard Petty Motorsports actively looking at putting some sort of Indy Car program together. Ray Evernham could be involved as could Allmendinger.

Enjun Pullr
29th October 2010, 23:07
Why would Z-Line move to Panther, and possibly bring Wilson along for the ride, instead of other choices?

I read the Richard Petty rumor too, and maybe people should step back and think about that for a minute. Some think that Nascar is an evil empire, determined to step on the neck of IndyCar. Maybe, maybe not.

There are very few developments that would make noise to the general public. "Richard Petty Motorsports leaves Nascar to go IndyCar racing" would qualify. Nascar wouldn't do anything possible to prevent that? Any kind of a deal they could broker would be done to avoid that headline.

If RPM survives, it will be in Nascar and the possible affiliation with JA at the 500. Running a full IndyCar season is pure imagination.

Scotty G.
30th October 2010, 04:35
1. Why would Z-Line move to Panther, and possibly bring Wilson along for the ride, instead of other choices?

2. If RPM survives, it will be in Nascar and the possible affiliation with JA at the 500. Running a full IndyCar season is pure imagination.

1. Good question. Z-Line is going to go with Wilson, wherever he goes. Hildebrand hasn't been meeting with the National Guard and isn't testing with Panther this week, for no reason. He fits exactly what the Guard would want (they also were interested in Americans RHR and Rahal). And it makes sense for Panther to take a flyer on a young American (like they did with Hornish).

Andretti's team and KV would also make sense for Wilson. But Panther and Wilson have been flirting for months. He would give them a experienced driver to team with a youngster in Hildebrand. If Panther has come up with a few bucks of their own, the Z-Line money would give Wilson a strong fully-funded ride and only 1 other teammate. At Andretti, things aren't all that rosy there now or for the future, once Patrick bails for NASCAR. And they seem more concerned with Hunter-Reay and Marco's future programs. Wilson could be the 4th wheel there (and actually be the best driver). Plus Andretti might be asking for more dough then Z-Line can give. Same deal with KV and KV isn't as good a team as either Andretti or Panther. Wilson would be better off staying with D&R then going to KV.

2. You very well might be correct. But lets connect the dots.

-Petty's team is now basically owned by George Gillette. Petty is a figure-head. And Gillette has very little history with NASCAR or stock car racing.

-RPM has one sponsor and one driver signed for 2011. The driver, is a former Indy Car driver.

-Ray Evernham was quoted on Indy radio months ago, as saying he was "intrigued" by being a part of a Indy Car effort and had been approached about doing something in 2011.

-RPM is having financial problems. And right now, Indy Cars are much, much cheaper to run then Cup is. If they want to stay in business (and these are all BUSINESS's), Indy Cars might just have to be an option.

It would not surprise me at all, if RPM (at the least) runs the Indy 500 next year with Allmendinger and John Andretti as its 2 drivers. I'd be shocked if they did anything more then that, but you never know....its EXTREME silly season.

Enjun Pullr
30th October 2010, 07:36
From the public information available last year, and most of it was from Cavin, here's the way I remember it:

Z-Line was a sponsor for Dale Coyne Racing, and both were satisfied with Wilson as their driver.

Bill Pappas left Coyne for KV, it was unclear whether this was a concern for the sponsor or driver at the time.

Coyne announced the Boy Scouts endorsement (unfunded) and the intention to run two cars, but lacked money for the second car..this was long before Milka and Citgo were on the radar.

Z-Line was concerned about sharing branding: they were a primary sponsor and expected to run their car that way. So they went shopping, and chose D&R.

Wilson was then offered the seat, since he was acceptable to team and sponsor. Coyne was trying to sign a driver for a two year deal.

So it's not clear that Wilson is under contract with Z-Line, and they are shopping again. Where is the best shot to field a competitive car and get top billing?

I'd say Newman/ Haas. Sure, Wilson probably stays with Z-Line but I don't think it is carved in stone. Z-Line's other choice would be to continue at D&R.

AA has three cars locked in (unless IMG convinces Danica to buyout and bolt). A fourth car there is not necessarily a competitive or prominent choice for a primary sponsor to select.

Can Panther run two competitive cars for a full season, even if Z-Line pays for the second car? If you say so, but I'd be wondering. They remain as the National Guard car and the part time Fuzzy Vision team, in my fuzzy vision.

Whatever seat, I hope Hildebrand gets one. And I hope Dale Coyne lands a deal, because I doubt the Series is going to grant Duno a license.

Mr. Gillette I know nothing about, but as for him funding an Indycar team for RPM...well, I'd only believe that when the car is on the grid.

Dr. Krogshöj
30th October 2010, 08:44
I find it a travesty that John Edwards, JR Hildebrand, Jonathan Summerton were sitting on the sidelines last season. Ignoring young American drivers who were successful in junior formulae is, in my opinion, one of the reasons IndyCar is where it is today. I'd be happy if Hildebrand found himself in the National Guard car. Even happier if Panther could run Carpenter on the ovals again with Fuzzy to coach JR. Wheldon should find himself a ride too, maybe the 2nd Lotus seat?

garyshell
30th October 2010, 15:15
Regarding, RPM leaving NASCAR and moving to IndyCar: not a snowball's chance in hell. The France Family Cartel/Mafia will move mountains to keep that from happening, including (but not limited to) reaching for the family checkbook. There is no way they will ever let the Petty name leave the series and go to another. There MIGHT be a presence in both, but I'd be VERY surprised if that ever came to fruition.

Gary

SoCalPVguy
30th October 2010, 15:42
two things:

I believe still that Go Daddy's girl will blow out to Nascab full time next year and that Andretti racing will be luck to field 2 cars.

Richard Petty Motorsports is almost OUT OF BUSINESS!!! Bud failed to send final sponsorship payment check, Gillette's interests have been taken over by the lender as he defaulted... SO PLEASE STOP foolish rumors of Petty to Indy" !!!

MDS
31st October 2010, 06:13
SO PLEASE STOP foolish rumors of Petty to Indy" !!!

Yep, zero chance of this happening outside of DR&R or someone else for Indy one-off in 2011.

The team is still talking with Best Buy about sponsoring A.J. Allmendinger in 2011 but they haven't come to terms yet. What might be driving some of this is that Best Buy's spend on the RPM team is rumored to be around $6 million which won't get you a full season NASCAR, but could get you 12 races with a top team, or a full season in Indy. Stanley Tools is signed for 2011 at around $10 million. Yeah, on paper you can make an argument that Best Buy and Stanley Tools (If they cut their total buy down to $6 million or kept at $10 and had two cars) could be better served with A.J. and another talented driver (of which there is no short supply) in open wheel but its too late really to finish the NASCAR season and then spin up for a full season in 2011 and then buy new equipment for 2012. They will be lucky to answer the bell in 2011.

Some people insist the team is considering it for 2012, but I can't see how it has gone past the exploratory phase at this point seeing how no one is sure if the team will finish out the season. Now could Richard Petty see the end of the Petty name in NASCAR and decide to start something new in Indy Car in 2012? Buy out Newman Haas and bring some NASCAR sponsors? Maybe. He has the money to do it, but does he have the will and drive? That's another question. He's 73.

Also moving to the ICS wouldn't "Save" most of the team. RPM has 340 employees, many of whom wouldn't have skills or experience that would transfer to open wheel. With a potential $12-$10 million sponsor you could carry a lot of people, but most NASCAR tech experience wouldn't translate to open wheel, althought most of their physical plant, which includes a seven-post shaker rig, would.

What RPM's failure will do is increase the chance of a cup driver ending up in the ICS. At best that's two less funded seats out their for cup drivers, and potentially four if the whole team goes under. The harder it is to get a non-start-and-park ride the better the chances are that someone like a Scott Speed would come to Indy.

Enjun Pullr
31st October 2010, 17:04
Looks like a lot of the reporting is right on Nascar's own site, which was a first visit for me. Props to them for accuracy and full disclosure.

http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/business/10/25/rpetty-motorsports-financial-trouble/index.html

Jag_Warrior
1st November 2010, 18:34
Good article, Enjun Pullr. Yeah, lots of good info there.

Even though this is Silly Season, I think it's a bit too silly to speculate that RPM is spending any amount of time trying to put together a deal to enter the IRL. I've not seen the first, credible bit of information that makes that anything more than a fantasy. It's about the same as when Champ Car had its foot to the floor, headed for the wall, and many loyal CCWS fans wanted to believe that McLaren or Mercedes would/could/should leave F1 and come to Champ Car... because it was "cheaper". One of the most recent comments by Petty (that I've read) was this one from ESPN: "I've been here since 1949 and I'm going to be here till they run me off,” Richard Petty told ESPN Sunday at Martinsville. IMO, it would be more likely that Petty would take the #43 team (which he owns, according to ESPN) and get a sponsor for that team to run in Nationwide, or he merges it with Michael Waltrip's Toyota backed team... with whom he had discussions in Martinsville.

If Best Buy (or any other NASCAR sponsor that is on the fence) really could be swayed over to the IRL, then I suggest that Andretti Autosport, KV Technology, HVM, and all of the others who are starving to death for cash, CALL THEM. Get a meeting! But in the case of Richard Petty, I think it's more likely that he'll have a Nationwide team, and about as likely that he'll have a Grand Am team next year (or the year after, or the year after that) as an IRL team. He's fighting with his last bullet to stay in the sport that he loves, and that is NASCAR Sprint Cup.

Lee Roy
1st November 2010, 20:06
Indycar fans mistake Richard Petty's involvement with the Indy 500 for the last two years as a genuine interest in Indy Car racing instead of what it really is; lending his name and involvement as a favor to John Andretti, with whom Petty has a genuine friendship. Andretti stayed with the Petty's in their home when he first got involved in NASCAR.

Once John Andretti is through with Indy, Petty will be too . . . . . if not sooner.

Enjun Pullr
1st November 2010, 22:11
I missed this when it came out last month, and didn't realize Lotus was committed to staying with KV. Autosport confirmed it:

"Lotus to expand KV partnership
http://cdn.images.autosport.com/space.gif

By Matt Beer September 28th 2010, 13:59 GMT

Lotus Motorsport will expand its IndyCar partnership with KV Racing in 2011..."

So if the Lotus plans are true, they run two cars as had been announced at the beginning of 2010. In KV cars, not a new team of their own.

grungex
2nd November 2010, 01:47
That is surprising news, indeed...

Enjun Pullr
4th November 2010, 15:52
Well, this is why I hate silly season threads and should have stayed out of another one.

The bisquit who reported that Hildebrand tested for Panther was a liar. My apologies for repeating it here.

Panther tweeted on their account that they haven't tested anybody anywhere.

Chamoo
10th November 2010, 04:35
Well, this is why I hate silly season threads and should have stayed out of another one.

The bisquit who reported that Hildebrand tested for Panther was a liar. My apologies for repeating it here.

Panther tweeted on their account that they haven't tested anybody anywhere.

They have spoken to J.R. about 2011. Someone at the National Guard might had smartened up and decided that an American in their car would be a good idea.

I wonder if the GM announcement comes through, I wonder if they would look at placing a driver or two with teams they expect to have close connections with in 2012, for the 2011 season to get them accustomed to the teams and such.

MDS
10th November 2010, 14:29
Marshall Pruitt has a very informative article:

KV is working on a bigger deal with Lotus, but it isn't enough money for them to hire whoever they want so their still looking for drivers with funds/sponsorship. It sounds like Takuma will be back for sure, E.J. actually has sponsorship and they're waiting to see what Graham, TK and Wheldon are doing before finalizing their lineup.

Graham has apparently said there will be an announcement in the next 10 days.

Panther plans on testing a few drivers next month, which probably means they're not in the Justin Wilson sweepstakes, at least for the National Guard car.

HVM hopes to have funding/sponsorship for Simona soon

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-kv-closing-in-on-new-lotus-deal

Chamoo
10th November 2010, 14:58
Panther plans on testing a few drivers next month, which probably means they're not in the Justin Wilson sweepstakes, at least for the National Guard car.

I would love to see Panther run only US drivers at this gong show test. JR, Summerton, Buddy Rice, Townsend Bell etc...

It sounds like JR has the inside line on the National Guard car. You have to wonder who would possibly be in the second Panther car, if they do decide to run a second program.

I guess you could look at Justin Wilson bringing the Z-Lines sponsorship to the team in a second car, TK maybe bringing some Brazil sponsorship for the second car, Rahal bringing his sponsor for the second car, or Ed Carpenter and Fuzzy's for an oval only schedule while bringing in a road course specialist for the twisties?

Placid
11th November 2010, 03:35
It will be a downfall if Panther chooses 2 drivers. 1 for ovals and 1 for road/street courses. Hildebrand is a decent road racer. If that is the case, I like to see a GP2 team take JR. Then F1.

Enjun Pullr
11th November 2010, 17:26
Autosport link with Wilson's quote:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88151

I'm still hoping that a funded driver signs with Newman/Haas, and Wilson was one of them....

Enjun Pullr
11th November 2010, 19:13
Kanaan testing for De Ferran/ Dragon, who has no funding:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101111/SPORTS0107/11110429/1052/SPORTS01/Chevrolet-to-return-to-IndyCar-in-2012

EagleEye
13th November 2010, 20:56
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

Power
HCN
Briscoe

If the Captain wants TK, the Captain will get TK.

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario
Rahal

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Sato
Mutoh
Ride buyer ~3

KV Renta Team

Panther
TBD

Money is an issue-

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TBD

Money is an issue-

HVM
SDS

Conquest
Bag
TBD

FAZZT
Tagliani

Newman Hass
TK/TBD
TBD

Wilson
Conway
TBD 2

Sarah Fisher Racing
Fisher

Money, money, money. Team might rent itself out for road races, or put another driver in the car for the season.

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2

MDS
15th November 2010, 18:28
Well the good news is that this year's silly season is both more productive and shorter than in years past as most of the major questions will be answered before Jan. 1.

de Ferran/Dragon Racing
2 Tony Kannan?

Team Penske
3 Helio Castroneves
6 Ryan Brisco
12 Will Power – Verizon Wireless

Panther Racing
4 J.R Hildebrand?/Jonathan Summerton National Guard

KV Lotus Racing
5- Takuma Sato Lotus
8- E.J. Viso Lotus/PDVSA?
32 Moreas?/Hinchcliff/Tracy/Wheldon?

Andretti Autosport
7 Danica Patrick Go Daddy
26 Marco Andretti Venom Energy Drink
37 Ryan Hunter Reay Snapple/Dr Pepper (Here there is a deal almost done that should be announced before the end of the month)

Target Chip Ganassi
9 Scott Dixon – Target
10 Dario Franchitti – Target
11 Graham Rahal – Service Central brands

AJFE
14 Vitor Meria ABC Construction

Walker Racing
15- Dan Clarke/Simone Pagenad/Sebastian Saavedra

Dale Coyne
18 ???
19 ???

22 Justin Wilson Z-Line designs
24 Conway?/Hinchcliff?/Tracy?

AFS Racing
27 Adam Carroll

Conquest Racing
34 Bertrand Bagguette
36 will be available as a rent-a-ride

Sarah Fisher Raciing
67 Sarah Fisher/Sumerton Dollar General

FAZZT Race Team
77- Alex Tagliani

HVM Racing
78 Simona De Silvestro

Newman Haas Racing
Lots of rumors circulating around this team. I was told they were paid a potential buyer/sponsor who has a major presence in motorsports. Of course the most likely scenario is that they will be back with one or two ride buyers unless Phoenicia either finds some sponsorship or brokers a deal to a bull of a company.

Indy Only Programs
Redline Extreme/KV Racing
Sheckter/Tracy/Servia

Sam Schmidt racing
99-Townsend Bell?/Hinchcliff??

Dryer and Rienbold Racing
Two entries for ride buyers

Bryan Herta Autosport

Free Agents
Pedro Del La Rosa
Oriol Servia
Robert Doornbos
Alex Lloyd
Hideki Mutoh
Dan Wheldon
Rafa Matos
Ed Carpenter

Other news
Kasey Chane wants to do the 500, but it might be next year when he is with Hendrick and could be linked with another Chevy team. He's been dropping some hints that he would be open to making a start or two in 2011 though.

Robby Gordon has signed a deal with Chevy for his off road program and is spinning down his Cup program. I was told by good source that Robby was considering returning to Indy in 2011. I said well yeah, everyone knows that he wants to go back to Indy, and the response was “Yeah and few other places too.” Robby knows he's never going to be an elite team owner in NASCAR, but with the new formula in 2012 he's got time, and perhaps sponsorship enough to have a team (most likely with a younger full time driver who brings some money to the team and Robby making limited starts)

Tony Stewart has ruled out starting an Indy program, even with Chevy's help.

EagleEye
15th November 2010, 19:42
de Ferran/Dragon Racing
2 Tony Kannan?

TK is testing for them, to give them some baseline data heading into next year, but the team does not have the money for the whole year, let alone the money TK is looking for. could change, especially if the Capt. lends a hand.

Panther Racing
4 J.R Hildebrand?/Jonathan Summerton National Guard

The team might have a looming issue with money. They wanted Graham, and then turned to Wilson, hoping both would bring some money. If National Guard stays, they perfer an american.

Andretti Autosport
37 Ryan Hunter Reay Snapple/Dr Pepper (Here there is a deal almost done that should be announced before the end of the month)

I am hearing the RHR will also have AFS backing as well. Right now, no money to run an AFS only entry.

Target Chip Ganassi
9 Scott Dixon – Target

Certainly some major changes here, and good for GR!

Walker Racing
15- Dan Clarke/Simone Pagenad/Sebastian Saavedra

Slim and none? ONLY, if they get money, and we would love to see DW back.

Dale Coyne
18 ???
19 ???

24 Conway?/Hinchcliff?/Tracy?

AFS Racing
27 Adam Carroll

Not now, looking to be part of AA

Newman Haas Racing
Lots of rumors circulating around this team. I was told they were paid a potential buyer/sponsor who has a major presence in motorsports. Of course the most likely scenario is that they will be back with one or two ride buyers unless Phoenicia either finds some sponsorship or brokers a deal to a bull of a company.

No comment..but this is a make or break off season. The team SHOULD have two cars, in capable hands, but it is a strange time indeed. Congrats to Rocky and Newie for winning the F1 Championship. Kirby has a great piece on one of the best and classiast guys in the sport. A great person to work and room with. Well read, quiet, and knows a lot about the history of racing and baseball!

Indy Only Programs

Way to early to even begin to look at Indy, but there should be about 34-40 cars trying to make the race.

Lee Roy
15th November 2010, 20:00
de Ferran/Dragon Racing
2 Tony Kannan?

TK is testing for them, to give them some baseline data heading into next year, but the team does not have the money for the whole year, let alone the money TK is looking for. could change, especially if the Capt. lends a hand.

Kannan may be looking at other options.

IRL driver - Tony Kanaan on possible NASCAR trucks future:
Q) What is the status of your discussion with Kyle Busch of racing for his NASCAR truck series team?
Tony Kannan: Right now it's just talk. I'm going to go watch the race in Homestead. But obviously, I'm still trying to get something in IndyCar. That's where I have been all my life. I've been in talks with a lot of teams, but financially it's a very difficult situation for everybody. A lot of teams don't even have the budget for a full car, forget about paying me. So I've got to explore all my options. Me and Kyle know each other because we shared the same sponsor (Mars) and did a lot of the same functions. He has his own truck team and doesn't do all the races, so he called me up and I said, "Why not? Let's talk." People are making a big deal like I am going there already. Well, I've got to listen to anybody. Right now I don't have a deal. If I did I would have said 'no'. It's still baby steps. Right now I don't think he even has the sponsorship to run it, as well. You need to put all the ideas together. When did he call, because originally 2005 IndyCar series champion Dan Wheldon had been linked to that supposed opening? Two weeks ago. He's probably talking to other people as well, not just me. He's looking for a driver to do seven or eight races that he's not going to do.
Q) So there's been no formal offer?
Tony Kannan: No, not even talk of doing a test or anything. It was a friendly phone call. "Come over. Come watch it. Maybe then we'll sit down." And it wouldn't be a full-time job unless he can find a sponsor to put trucks out there and it would be financially worth it for him to run a full season. I can't say that right now.(Jamestown)(11-13-2010)

http://jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20101113f

Scotty G.
15th November 2010, 20:41
de Ferran/Dragon Racing
2 Tony Kannan?

Target Chip Ganassi

Tony Stewart has ruled out starting an Indy program, even with Chevy's help.

If TK goes to Gil's team, that number will change to #11. That is TK's number and Andretti will give it up. Andretti's numbers will be 7, 26, 27 and 37. The #27 is likely not to be used, since Andretti is likely to run 3 cars.

deFerren's numbers will be #11 and #21 (for Hamilton).

Graham will either run the #2 or the #8 for Ganassi. I'd guess its the #2. With another owner, yet to be announced. ;)

And never take what Tony Stewart says, as gospel. By this time next year, I expect to see his team preparing for their first forray into the Indy Car series in 2012 (probably a ovals only deal). With Chevy help and with either Bryan Clauson or Levi Jones (whoever wins the Lights ride) as one of the drivers. It only makes sense. Might even get Ole' Smoke to climb back in a car for the Indy 500 too. I bet Mobil One would be for that.

TURN3
15th November 2010, 21:02
If TK goes to Gil's team, that number will change to #11. That is TK's number and Andretti will give it up. Andretti's numbers will be 7, 26, 27 and 37. The #27 is likely not to be used, since Andretti is likely to run 3 cars.

deFerren's numbers will be #11 and #21 (for Hamilton).

Graham will either run the #2 or the #8 for Ganassi. I'd guess its the #2. With another owner, yet to be announced. ;)

And never take what Tony Stewart says, as gospel. By this time next year, I expect to see his team preparing for their first forray into the Indy Car series in 2012 (probably a ovals only deal). With Chevy help and with either Bryan Clauson or Levi Jones (whoever wins the Lights ride) as one of the drivers. It only makes sense. Might even get Ole' Smoke to climb back in a car for the Indy 500 too. I bet Mobil One would be for that.

I seriously doubt that ole' Smoke can even fit into an Indycar. They'd better get his fat ass in for a seat fitting at Dallara before they cast the mold!!

Chris R
15th November 2010, 22:17
as one who lives in a glass (fat)house, i should certianly not cast stones - but there is no way Tony Stewart is fitting himself into an indycar anytime soon. Among the many other things he needs to go to Indy is a serious diet and workout regimine... I'd be pretty suprised if that happened but I hope it does....

Enjun Pullr
22nd November 2010, 02:18
SpeedTV reports indicate that FAZZT might be signing GP2 driver Ho-Ping Tung tomorrow.

Scotty G.
22nd November 2010, 03:14
SpeedTV reports indicate that FAZZT might be signing GP2 driver Ho-Ping Tung tomorrow.

Who?

Seriously, not exactly the kind of resume that screams Indy Car star. But since he has a "relationship" with one of the big money guys on Tags team, we know why he is getting a seat.

He'll be driving #88 for AZZT Racing.

According to RMiller, it appears Rahal and Charlie Kimball to run a 2 car team as a satellite operation to Ganassi; likely owned by Don "The Snake" Prudhomme.

My guess, is that Kimball's Diabetes money aced out Jay Howard for the ride. Too bad Jay.

I have also heard Summerton is close to something as well.

Chamoo
22nd November 2010, 03:59
Who?

Seriously, not exactly the kind of resume that screams Indy Car star. But since he has a "relationship" with one of the big money guys on Tags team, we know why he is getting a seat.

He'll be driving #88 for AZZT Racing.

According to RMiller, it appears Rahal and Charlie Kimball to run a 2 car team as a satellite operation to Ganassi; likely owned by Don "The Snake" Prudhomme.

My guess, is that Kimball's Diabetes money aced out Jay Howard for the ride. Too bad Jay.

I have also heard Summerton is close to something as well.

Not to nit-pick, but wasn't it Marshall Pruett who wrote that article on Kimball and Rahal?

Also, Scotty, I'm surprised! Unless you were being sarcastic in regards to Jay Howard being out of a ride due to Charlie Kimball bringing money, I thought you'd like a good young American who came through the ladder and got to the Izod Indycar Series over a Brit?

Also, if Summerton has does get something done, and JR gets the Panther seat, along with Rahal and Kimball, that is four full time American's on top of RHR and Danica from last season. Add in the potential for Ed Carpenter at select races, and a potential full time season from Hinchcliffe and a 99% sure full time season from Tags, toss in a couple PT races and we've got ourselves a good assortment of USA talent, with a nice side serving of Canadian talent for 2011.

Edit: You were right, it was RM.

MDS
22nd November 2010, 05:31
Well, Ho-Ping Tung is a mixed blessing. Its great to see another car in the field, and the fact the contract is done before Thanksgiving is good, but we can't build a series around guys like Tung, unless this is part of a bigger deal. Like if he brings sponsorship and the ICS pulls off its ambition to pair Motegi with a Chinese race and he's around for two years then it's a wonderful thing, if not then he's just another guy who couldn't find a place in Formula 1.

While he hasn't been stellar in the feeder series he has been capable and breifly held a Super License and that means he can compete. He's done well in the Superleague against a pretty stiff field. Tung is quality of drivers the league should be getting, and FAZZT is an appropriate quality team for him to land at. So I wish him luck, I just wish Hinchcliff or Wickens had claimed this seat.

I wonder how much role the league played? If they're going to go to China now it would play a hell of a lot better to the fans in that country if their banner carrier was an established driver and not some token rookie.

Enjun Pullr
22nd November 2010, 07:07
It struck me as funny that deals like this happen all the time, and making silly season lists is just that. Nobody had Sato or Baguette on a list last year either.

You can add Marco and Townsend Bell to the American contingent though. It's hard to see why this is such a big issue to so many people: there were nine U.S. drivers at Indy last year and five in most other events.

IndyCar needs personalities, it shouldn't matter a bit where they were born in my opinion.

Scotty G.
22nd November 2010, 07:41
It's hard to see why this is such a big issue to so many people: there were nine U.S. drivers at Indy last year and five in most other events.

9 Americans at Indy was the worst % in the Indy 500 ever.

From 1950 to 1990 or so, it never dipped below 20 and there were many, many years where over 30 starters were from America.

The Indy 500 needs to get back to the point where at least half the field is American again. Like it was for about the first 100 years of its existance. ;)

Scotty G.
22nd November 2010, 07:48
Also, Scotty, I'm surprised! Unless you were being sarcastic in regards to Jay Howard being out of a ride due to Charlie Kimball bringing money, I thought you'd like a good young American who came through the ladder and got to the Izod Indycar Series over a Brit?

I'd much rather have Kimball over Howard. Howard has not endeared himself to most folks in the ICS. And we are not even talking about his driving.

Kimball didn't exactly light it up in Lights, but he's still only 25 and he did well before he got to Lights. Plus his diabetes story, would be a good one to follow.

I am sure, that this was the ride Howard was alluding to a while ago, when he said he might be "teammates" with Graham. I think he thought his relationship with Service Central, would help him. I guess it didn't.

As Bernard has said, he wants THE BEST guys. With that in mind, I'd rather see John Edwards and Robert Wickens and Andrew Ranger in the series over Ho Tung Pin, Jay Howard and Mario Moraes. Maybe by 2012, more of "the best" will get to Indy Cars and these other jokers have to look elsewhere.

TURN3
22nd November 2010, 13:41
Scotty I don't disagree with your "desire" for more Americans at Indy. Saying we "need" to get back to a particular percentage of Americans at Indy though I think is not going to produce the product we all want either. You eluded yourself to the need for the BEST drivers. The talent pool of Americans isn't as deep as it used to be. Sure I want Americans but I want the best drivers. I don't want a field of Americans like Marco and Danica just because their Americans but without the ability to push the limits of a car and create excitement. I realize Vettel and Alonso aren't heading this way but to me, field filling is field filling whether they're ride buyers or in a ride because of where they're from.

Chris R
22nd November 2010, 15:38
I continue to believe that the majority of the buying/paying public prefer a "winner" with personality to a generic "american" that is neither. All else being equal, I am sure the American audience would prefer an American winner But I think we are sophisticated enough to put personality and talent above nationality....

Also, (please play as though you do not already know who these people are) pick the American from the following list:

Scott Dixon
Justin Wilson
Roger Yasukawa
Paul Tracy

Unless you are a hard core fan, you have no idea where the driver came from until and unless you hear them speak and even then you could be mightily confused (Dario Franchitti). So, I do not see how a lack of Americans is a deterrent to the casual fan.... It may upset the mid-west core fanbase and it is certainly a good thing to aspire to (to have a greater number of excellent American drivers in the Indy 500)... but I think it is very wide of the mark to focus on that as a key issue in the failure of the sport to thrive since the split....

Scotty G.
22nd November 2010, 16:40
The talent pool of Americans isn't as deep as it used to be. Sure I want Americans but I want the best drivers. I don't want a field of Americans like Marco and Danica just because their Americans but without the ability to push the limits of a car and create excitement.

(I can't believe I am about to defend Princess and Marco....)

But those two, have proven, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, that they are capable American drivers. At other places? No. But at Indy (which is what I am talking about)? Yes.

I think there are just as many talented, capable American drivers who could do good things at Indy, as there ever have been. For decades, Indy was filled with some high-caliber American talents (like Foyt, the Unser's, Rutheford, Donahue, the Bettenhausen's, Johncock, Mears, Sneva, Gurney, etc....) but it was also filled with guys like Eldon Rasmussen, Jerry Karl, Dennis Firestone and Steve Krisiloff too. Were they considered "world-class" talents? No. But we didn't always aspire to lure Formula 1 hopefuls or dropouts either. We didn't lose so many good young drivers to NASCAR back then either.

Right now, if we had these following 15 American drivers at Indy, I think we'd have something:

-Marco
-Rahal
-Patrick
-Braun
-Bell
-Summerton
-Kimball
-Allmendinger
-Hornish
-Hildebrand
-Clauson
-Yeley
-Cameron
-Hunter-Reay
-Rice

There is some pretty decent talent there.

TURN3
22nd November 2010, 19:26

But those two, have proven, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, that they are capable American drivers. At other places? No. But at Indy (which is what I am talking about)? Yes.

I think there are just as many talented, capable American drivers who could do good things at Indy, as there ever have been. For decades, Indy was filled with some high-caliber American talents (like Foyt, the Unser's, Rutheford, Donahue, the Bettenhausen's, Johncock, Mears, Sneva, Gurney, etc....) but it was also filled with guys like Eldon Rasmussen, Jerry Karl, Dennis Firestone and Steve Krisiloff too. Were they considered "world-class" talents? No. But we didn't always aspire to lure Formula 1 hopefuls or dropouts either. We didn't lose so many good young drivers to NASCAR back then either.

Right now, if we had these following 15 American drivers at Indy, I think we'd have something:

-Marco
-Rahal
-Patrick
-Braun
-Bell
-Summerton
-Kimball
-Allmendinger
-Hornish
-Hildebrand
-Clauson
-Yeley
-Cameron
-Hunter-Reay
-Rice

To a degree I understand what you're saying. I don't see your entire logic though, very rarely do any of us...but anyway. First of all, you list guys on your list that are nowhere close to giving up a stock car career to enter Indy OR have been washed up without even attempting get in a car for 3+ years. Buddy Rice!!? Come on! The guy hasn't been seen in public since he embarrased himself for Forsythe in Mexico a few years ago. JJ Yeley, yep an American alright and a household name. Braun, Hornish, and Almendinger aren't coming back either.

Even if you wishlist came true, it would be insignificant for only 1 race. Indy is special, you're right about that. But what made it special is guys from all over the world came to go at it. Yes, there will be field fillers and underdogs but you are not going to get 15 Americans in the Indy 500 with a chance to win. Nobody remembers who finsihes 2nd. Case in point is to see what happend after the split. Plenty of Americans, plenty of empty seats. The drivers have to be the best in the world, no matter where they're from.

And these days I give very little credit to drivers like Marco and Danica for "knowing how to get around the place". Seriously? These cars are very little lift even at Indy and we've discussed this together already. Things seem to be changing in 2012. Yes it takes lots of patience to bring an Indycar home over 500 miles at Indy at that is worth something. But it was worth more prior to about 2000. What Mears, Foyt, Johncock, Sneva, etc. etc. etc. did was "knowing how to get around Indy". If it were just finishing, Roberto Guererro would be a household name.

Scotty G.
22nd November 2010, 19:54
1. First of all, you list guys on your list that are nowhere close to giving up a stock car career to enter Indy OR have been washed up without even attempting get in a car for 3+ years.

2. Buddy Rice!!? Come on!

1. I was speaking about if Indy Car was still close or more highly regarded to NASCAR (like it was in the 60's, 70's and 80's), then guys like Allmendinger, Braun and Hornish would be in Indy Cars and would have STAYED in Indy Cars and never sniffed NASCAR.

Allmendinger would be a 10 time Indy 500 starter by now, if Indy Car Racing didn't lose their way in the late 80's/early 90's.

2. Yes, Buddy Rice. His resume speaks for itself. Its a complete joke, that this guy just vanished in the prime of his career. Its something that would have NEVER happened 30 years ago.

And now, Dan Wheldon appears to be following the same script. A total shame.

Both of these guys PROVED on the track at Indy, they were as good as anyone. Wheldon's Indy 500 record is unbelievable.

The fact that they were basically run out of the sport (with their lack of a checkbook being the #1 factor) is why Indy Cars are where they are now, today.

Mark in Oshawa
22nd November 2010, 20:02
It comes and goes, this semi xenophobic idea that most of the drivers have to be American. I think if you live in the Mid West, you think that way. If you live elsewhere, maybe less so.

See, I get where Scott is coming from; you need people that the guys in the stands can identify with BUT some of the most popular people in American Indy Car history are not American. Horrors.......Emmo is Brazilian down to his shorts but he was well liked. Paul Tracy is a Canadian who just imitiates the brash American ideal just too well sometimes. Dario Franchitti was as popular a winner as any in recent years. Maybe because he brings Ashley with him!

Listen, I am all for more Americans in the IRL, I get it, but having people picked just based on their passports is UNAMERICAN...America was supposed to be the freedom to be the best you can be without anyone telling you your race, creed or whatever doesn't matter. Too often, Americans are the first to forget that.

Get the best possible drivers you can afford at as a team owner should be the goal. Business concerns however have polluted this, and that is the problem and it always has. If the IRL is healthy however, that goes away in time.....

It isn't 1960 anymore and they are not building these cars in their garages or running just one race a year Scott, this is big business and money in the end has way more say than just a passport...

MDS
22nd November 2010, 21:24
For the record I'm not saying that Tung can't be a potential star because of his nationality, but because we don't need more guys like Tristian Gommendy who come in with decent resumes, bought rides, had average results and then disappeared when their funding went away. I see potential for Tung, especially if the the ICS gets to China in 2012 and/or he brings in a sponsor. If nothing else he could make Motegi more interesting for the Japanese fans.

We might well see three American rookies join the series next year with the possibility of J.R. Hildebrand, Johnathan Summerton and Charlie Kimble coming into the series, all of whom have come up through the ladder system and have chances of building the sport. James Hinchcliff is chasing a ride this year too. With potentially four North Americans and Tung 2011 could be a hell of a rookie class.

I'm of the mind that Indy is big enough for anyone who wants to come.

Nikki Katz
23rd November 2010, 22:55
Hmm, there have been a lot of good drivers in GP2 in the past few years, and Tung really isn't one of them. He's not awful, certainly no Duno, but I'm pretty sure he'd be out of his depth in IndyCar. He was Conway's teammate for a while, and was quite badly outperformed by him.

vintage
24th November 2010, 02:00
Wheldon seems to have made his own bed - I'm pretty sure that at some point in 2009 he threw Panther under the bus in an interview, and that, plus (I believe) he was getting paid the kind of money that no one except the top few are making. He signed a good contract at a time that he was at the top of his market value, and based on underperforming on road and street courses, he is worth a lot less now.

I'm sure he's banked a several million over the last several years, so he may be out of a ride but he's probably laughing all the way to the bank.

He certainly seems to be good at Indy from his last few finishes!

Placid
24th November 2010, 02:39

-Marco
-Rahal
-Patrick
-Braun
-Bell
-Summerton
-Kimball
-Allmendinger
-Hornish
-Hildebrand
-Clauson
-Yeley
-Cameron
-Hunter-Reay
-Rice

And what about Scott Speed?
I am not so sure about Richard Antinucci.

Enjun Pullr
24th November 2010, 04:10
the second seat at FAZZT. At least that's what Dean Mcnulty writes:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/dean_mcnulty/2010/11/23/16285216.html

The world salivates at the prospects.

Scotty G.
29th November 2010, 16:14
Sarah Fisher announced her retirement today.

Ed Carpenter will drive the #67 Dollar General car, at 9 races in 2011.

They will do 6 of the 8 ovals (no Milwaukee and Japan) and also St. Pete, Mid Ohio and Baltimore.

Reportedly, JR Hildebrand turned down the ride. He is in line for the Panther seat, which is likely full-time. So, can't blame him. SFR still just a part-time deal.

ykiki
29th November 2010, 16:46
I'll miss cheering for Sarah "the driver", but will continue to root for Sarah "the team". A class act who never played the blame game when things went wrong and was very thankfull when things went right.

She was able to build a nice little team with the dual role of driver/owner. Hopefully it'll see growth with her focus on ownership.

garyshell
29th November 2010, 16:54
I'll miss cheering for Sarah "the driver", but will continue to root for Sarah "the team". A class act who never played the blame game when things went wrong and was very thankfull when things went right.

She was able to build a nice little team with the dual role of driver/owner. Hopefully it'll see growth with her focus on ownership.

Amen to that!

Gary

MDS
30th November 2010, 17:19
So I spotted the Rahal Letterman Racing trailer heading south out of Atlanta today. It was probably the ICS trailer because it was white and devoid of any stickers and their ALMS trailer is normally wrapped.

Of course they're a big enough operation they could just have a B-trailer they use to keep the miles off the painted rigs.

Enjun Pullr
30th November 2010, 19:12
The Legends of Motorsports Historic Series, a "Bobby Rahal Signature Event", will run on Dec. 3-5 at Sebring Raceway:

http://www.sebringraceway.com/

Mr. Rahal senior owns vintage cars out the wazoo, and a couple are likely to be out on the runways.

MDS
30th November 2010, 21:14
junioropenwheeltalent.com (A website well worth a weekly read btw) is reporting that James Hinchcliffe may have a test lined up with Newman Haas.
Canadian James Hinchcliffe (http://www.hinchtown.com/) is scheduled to test an IndyCar with Newman-Haas on Dec. 14-15 at Sebring International Raceway, according to Norris McDonald (http://thestar.blogs.com/autoracing/2010/11/racer-hinchcliffe-to-test-for-newman-haas.html). Hopefully this will end as more than just a great opportunity, and the talented 23-year-old will land a full-time ride in IndyCar for 2011.
Hinchcliffe concluded his 2010 Indy Lights season ranked second in the drivers’ championship with three wins and 10 top-fives in 13 starts, driving for Team Moore Racing. In early October, the Toronto native was awarded the prestigious Greg Moore Legacy Award.
[Update] – According to inside sources, this news was prematurely released and details are still being finalized. Stay tuned for an official PR announcement.http://www.junioropenwheeltalent.com/2010/11/30/hinchcliffe-to-test-for-newman-haas/

James has been hustling for sponsorship, as has NHR. Something is going on because its unlikely that NHR would put out an release if it was just rumors.

Mark in Oshawa
30th November 2010, 22:20
oh to see Hinch get a shot will really make my day. Another full time Canadian in the series would make me that much more interested in the series of course...

Chamoo
30th November 2010, 23:09
oh to see Hinch get a shot will really make my day. Another full time Canadian in the series would make me that much more interested in the series of course...

We need a good young Canadian to win over some fans in Canada before Tags and PT are gone forever.

Scotty G.
1st December 2010, 04:13
When a driver is testing with a team in the off-season in modern-day Indy Car Racing, that almost always means he is eventually going to be driving for that team.

I'd say Hinch will be one of Newman/Haas's drivers in 2011.

Could be a real fun ROY race in 2011, with Hinchcliffe, Hildebrand, Kimball and Summerton doing battle (sorry, but I don't count Ho Son Pin, or whoever that is).

Dr. Krogshöj
1st December 2010, 15:35
(sorry, but I don't count Ho Son Pin, or whoever that is).

Well you said the same about Bertrand Baguette so Ho-Pin Tung might turn out to be a decent driver.

nigelred5
1st December 2010, 18:11
When a driver is testing with a team in the off-season in modern-day Indy Car Racing, that almost always means he is eventually going to be driving for that team.

I'd say Hinch will be one of Newman/Haas's drivers in 2011.

Could be a real fun ROY race in 2011, with Hinchcliffe, Hildebrand, Kimball and Summerton doing battle (sorry, but I don't count Ho Son Pin, or whoever that is).

I agree. I love Hinch. He's hysterical and seems like a good kid. I'm just glad to see a driver who has supposedly been doing all the right things, has actual driving talent AND has a great marketable personality is getting a shot in what has traditionally been a great car. If it wasn't for the consolidation he would have been in the big cars by now. To be honest, I've even missed the race commentary he used to do with Champcar. He was far better than 3/4 of the chumps that have been doing the Indycar broadcasts.

jackmart
1st December 2010, 19:00
Graham is meeting with engineer now and hopes to announce plans soon.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/78jad0

MDS
1st December 2010, 19:20
And here's the official NHR press release. Its James and Oriol

http://www.newmanhaasracing.com/content2010/release_12_01_2010_servia_hinchcliffe.html

Here's the interesting thing that makes me wonder if they have a deal in the works.

"This test will give us a great start to prepare for 2011," said Brian Lisles, general manager of Newman/Haas Racing. "And we look forward to introducing James to the IZOD IndyCar Series, and renewing our long and successful relationship with Oriol."Which yeah could just be referring to the test... or not. Supposedly they're close to signing a Canadian company to a multi-year deal for Hinch

Nikki Katz
1st December 2010, 19:25
I would absolutely love a 2 car team with Hinchcliffe and Servia. Sounds a little unlikely given their recent troubles, but it at least looks like they're not going to shut down the team and will field at least one car with an actual good driver.

jwhite9185
1st December 2010, 20:20
Good to see NHL back to being a team with proper drivers again!

Scotty G.
1st December 2010, 23:32
Hinchcliffe and Adam Carroll to be Newman/Haas's drivers in 2011?

You never know.... ;)

Might be a bit risky to go with 2 young drivers. But, $$$ talks.

EagleEye
2nd December 2010, 16:49
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

No word on who will fund RHR, but the Snapple/Dr. Pepper rumors are not correct. They were tied into the 7/11, and the hope is they might still might be primary for some races.

Power
HCN
TK/Briscoe

If the Captain wants TK, the Captain will get TK, and looks like it might be in the works. Money is the issue, as Briscoe comes in less than TK, but Briscoe might end up with money strapped De ferran.

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario

Ganassi/Prudhomme Racing
Rahal
Kimbal

Should be announced soon. Team coming together, and looks like all the funding is in place. Shop is in Brownsburg, about 20-30 minutes from the Ganassi shop. Good staff being put together...

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Sato
Mutoh/Viso
Ride buyer ~3

KV Renta Team-Mutoh trying to get money togerther, Viso seems to have some funding as well.

Panther
TBD

Still looking or an american. Wheldon might be back, at a reduced cost.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
Briscoe/TK

Money is an issue- TK would be in, save for his current salary demands, which he deserves.

HVM
SDS

Money a big issue here.

Conquest
Bag
TBD

Money is also an issue here

FAZZT
Tagliani
Tung

Newman Hass
Servia
Hinch

Good things on the horizon.

Wilson
Conway
TBD 2

Wheldon might be considered if he has some funding.

Sarah Fisher Racing
Carpenter

Money brought in from TG.

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2/?

Viso or Mutoh could end up here as well.

Team 3G
LOL

Like I said last year, will not happen. Team owes to much money.

Rahal
No one-

Not very likley, and the truck seen on the road is for Rahal's Legacy Historic series, not ICS. Lets not have another bunch of "Swift" trucks spotted like we had after the Swift Champcar went away.

Walker
Trying hard!

Fingers crossed that DW can come up with something.

MDS
2nd December 2010, 23:26
Shell officially announced their sponsorship of helio. Here's a pic of the car and the official press release

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/aboutshell/shell_motorsport/shell_and_nascar/audio_visual/

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/aboutshell/media_center/news_and_press_releases/2010/12022010_racing.html

From what I hear its a massive deal with Penske, and Shell's focus is on the cup car, but yeah, its a good thing for the sport.

Also, the release reference that Shell will have a presence across all three Penske open wheel cars and specifically mentions Ryan Briscoe... This is like fourth or fifth confirmation that Briscoe will be with the team so I'm not sure why there is still rumors floating TK is going to replace him. If the Captain wants him he'll end up at de Ferran Dragon, if nothing else Roger is loyal to his drivers.

Placid
3rd December 2010, 05:08
Any chance that Speed would land an Indy Car Ride now that he is a free agent?

Chamoo
3rd December 2010, 05:25
Any chance that Speed would land an Indy Car Ride now that he is a free agent?

I think Scott Speed has burned a lot of bridges in Indycar land the way he has spoken about the series. Personally, I'd like him to be "stuck" taking an Indycar ride, to see him fill something he feels he is superior to.

I think having an American with a name like Scott Speed would be good for the series, however, I do not want to see his attitude about our sport in our sport.

Scotty G.
3rd December 2010, 07:18
Lets get silly...

-The Captain is now saying, that if he doesn't find sponsorship for Hornish in Nationwide (which he likely won't), he will run him in the Indy 500 (because if he was under contract and you had nothing else to do with him, why wouldn't you run a car in the Indy 500 for a former champion?). I'd guess, he'd run a Pennzoil sponsored car, if that happens. The Shell money is mostly going to the NASCAR side of Penske's operation and one of the reasons Penske stole/poached them away from Childress, was the Indy 500 carrot. Another "thank you" for coming aboard, would be running another Shell/Pennzoil car at Indy (likely with the money coming out of RP's pocket). Sam in a all yellow Pennzoil car, would be nice to see again.

-I have also heard Mike Conway may end up at KV (the Lotus angle may be working here and his funding may not be enough for D&R) and that 09' GP champion Andy Soucek may end up with D&R. D&R's 3 full-time cars then would be Wilson in the #22, Tracy in the #23 and Soucek in the #24. Beatriz could be back for Indy again in the #25.

-I think Moraes could be gone (no loss) and so could Mutoh (ditto). Both seem to have lost their checkbook, which was the only thing keeping them employed. Of course, with as much coin that Moraes's family has, that could always change as we get closer to the start of the season. He was able to crack it back open last year, at the last minute.

-Panther could end up running Hildebrand as their only full-time driver in the Guard #4 and they could bring Wheldon back (with NOS sponsorship to go along with some secondary Guard money) to run the Indy 500 for them. I think Wheldon explored getting a Indy Car team together, but is more likely now to run full-time for Kyle Busch in the Truck Series. Wheldon also could end up with Andretti, in the Indy 500. Lots of questions though still with both Panther and what Andretti will do (if anything) with a 4th car.

-Snake Racing is the likely name of the Rahal/Kimball team. It will be based in Brownsburg, IN. Sounds like it will be a similar setup as Jay Penske had when he started his team. Wasn't a true Team Penske team. This won't be a true Ganassi team. But, there will be some sharing going on. Rahal's car will be yellow, black and white and Kimball's will be light blue/green, orange and white. Would not be surprised, if Gary Peterson/AFS ends up in some sort of role here either.

TURN3
3rd December 2010, 09:38
Here he goes with the "great Sam Hornish" again. At least for an Indy one off, that isn't as unlikely. I could see that happening if he has no Nationwide seat either.

vintage
3rd December 2010, 20:10
Let's just get the info correct on Soucek. He won the 2009 FIA F2 Championship, which in terms of competition and car capability is considered below GP2.

In 2007 and 2008, he ran the GP2 series, finishing 16th and 14th.

Oli_M
3rd December 2010, 20:19
All the press I've seen re Shell/Penske, only mention "Shell returning to the Indy 500". Now obviously I know that one race carries probably more weighting and that headline would probably turn more heads than "Shell returning to Indycar", but I haven't seen anything that actually states the #3 car will be Shell-Penzoil (or whatever) for the WHOLE series. I may well have missed something though!

Chamoo
3rd December 2010, 20:33
All the press I've seen re Shell/Penske, only mention "Shell returning to the Indy 500". Now obviously I know that one race carries probably more weighting and that headline would probably turn more heads than "Shell returning to Indycar", but I haven't seen anything that actually states the #3 car will be Shell-Penzoil (or whatever) for the WHOLE series. I may well have missed something though!

You have not. As of now, the only plans are for the Indy 500 in 2011. More races may follow, but nothing planned as of yet.

EagleEye
7th December 2010, 02:34
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

No word on who will fund RHR, but the Snapple/Dr. Pepper rumors are not correct. They were tied into the 7/11, and the hope is they might still might be primary for some races.

Power
HCN
Briscoe

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario

Ganassi/Prudhomme Racing
Rahal
Kimbal

Should be announced soon. Team coming together, and looks like all the funding is in place. Shop is in Brownsburg, about 20-30 minutes from the Ganassi shop. Good staff being put together...

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Sato
Mutoh/Viso
Ride buyer ~3

KV Renta Team-Mutoh trying to get money togerther, Viso seems to have some funding as well.

Panther
TBD

Still looking or an american. Wheldon might be back, at a reduced cost.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TBD/TK

Money is an issue- TK would be in, save for his current salary demands, which he deserves.

HVM
SDS

Money a big issue here.

Conquest
Bag
TBD

Money is also an issue here

FAZZT
Tagliani
Tung

Newman Hass
Servia
Hinch

Good things on the horizon.

Wilson
Conway
TBD 2

Sarah Fisher Racing
Carpenter

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2/?

Team 3G
LOL

Like I said last year, will not happen. Team owes to much money.

Rahal
No one-

Not very likley, and the truck seen on the road is for Rahal's Legacy Historic series, not ICS. Lets not have another bunch of "Swift" trucks spotted like we had after the Swift Champcar went away.

Walker
Trying hard!

Fingers crossed that DW can come up with something.

Chamoo
7th December 2010, 18:26
So who are we waiting on now?

Tony Kanaan
Rafael Matos
Graham Rahal
Charlie Kimball
Dan Wheldon
James Hinchcliffe
Oriol Servia
JR Hildebrand
Paul Tracy

In no particular order. Who else should we expect to hear from?

TURN3
7th December 2010, 20:50
Panther is testing at PIR today. Anybody know who with?

Drove past Firebird on my way to God forsaken Tucson the other day and reminded me of the days when teams would be testing there almost non-stop this time of year.

Jag_Warrior
7th December 2010, 20:56
Drove past Firebird on my way to God forsaken Tucson the other day and reminded me of the days when teams would be testing there almost non-stop this time of year.

One of my favorite photos of all time is from a series of photos taken during Ayrton Senna's Penske test at Firebird. In the photo, Ayrton is holding court and Paul Tracy appears to be listening intently, while Emerson Fittipaldi looks on.

Now, as we discuss the prospect of GP2 also-rans coming onboard, photos like that sort of depress me.
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? :(

vintage
7th December 2010, 21:26

Someone at TF says it's Hildebrand per an email from Panther.

MDS
8th December 2010, 01:17

It's JR, from his twitter
(http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/)JRHildebrand (https://twitter.com/JRHildebrand) I'm down at PIR testing with @PantherRacing (https://twitter.com/PantherRacing), had a really solid day. Nothing set for next year, pretty excited just to be back in a car!

Chamoo
8th December 2010, 01:33
I think it would take a lot to keep JR out of a seat at Panther in 2011. Just the feeling I'm getting.

Where there's smoke, there is usually fire.

Scotty G.
8th December 2010, 05:39
Some info on Carpenter's deal with SFR (from an interview I heard tonight):

-He brought NO money to get this ride. He was asked point blank and you could tell by the response that he was telling the truth. If any additional races are added, he will have to come up with some sponsorship. He says one more race is almost assuradly going to be added with others still possible.

-He and Sarah/Andy have already discussed engineers and potential hires. But he is staying out of that. Its their team.

-No equipment is coming over from Vision. TG is in the process of selling the remaining chassis's before they become obsolute by 2012.

-Fuzzy's Vodka could still be in the picture, but the races they were interested in sponsoring were already taken by Dollar General.

-Sounded like Panther wasn't a sure thing for 2011 for him; which is why he called Sarah and jumped on this deal.

BTW, look for AFS (Gary Peterson's team) to partner up with an existing team for the Indy 500. Don't be surprised if Sarah's team isn't the team and they run a 2nd car (although the car and most of the money would come from AFS) in a AFS/SFR entry. But there are other teams involved as well, so SFR is just one in the mix.

EagleEye
9th December 2010, 21:20
-He brought NO money to get this ride. He was asked point blank and you could tell by the response that he was telling the truth. If any additional races are added, he will have to come up with some sponsorship. He says one more race is almost assuradly going to be added with others still possible.

Carpenter shopped around for a ride, and DID bring money to the table. That is a 100% fact and is based on what they were offering others, and what they have done in the past. They did not have enough for the entire season, but had some funding. His funding and SF's funding allowed them to look at mroe races.

The good news is, SF runs a class operation, and Ed has done quite well on the ovals, especially Kentucky. With Ed, Graham, Marco, RHR, Danica all having firm rides next year, and the good potential for JR, Kimbal to join them, the series could have a decent amount of Americans racing next year.

vintage
9th December 2010, 22:57
I believe that the Dollar General money was enough to run the nine races and pay some salary. So Ed probably doesn't need any money to run that program. If he had brought money, they would be running more races.

Scotty G.
9th December 2010, 23:07
I believe that the Dollar General money was enough to run the nine races and pay some salary. So Ed probably doesn't need any money to run that program. If he had brought money, they would be running more races.

Yep.

This is basically the same deal that Sarah had last year with DG.

If SFR runs more races, Sarah will have either found more money or Ed will have to find more money.

garyshell
10th December 2010, 04:32
-He brought NO money to get this ride. He was asked point blank and you could tell by the response that he was telling the truth. If any additional races are added, he will have to come up with some sponsorship.

Carpenter shopped around for a ride, and DID bring money to the table. That is a 100% fact and is based on what they were offering others, and what they have done in the past. They did not have enough for the entire season, but had some funding. His funding and SF's funding allowed them to look at mroe races.

OK, so which one of you who is so certain of their "facts" has anything to back up their assertions?

Gary

MDS
10th December 2010, 05:11
OK, so which one of you who is so certain of their "facts" has anything to back up their assertions?

Gary

Does it matter?

Whether Ed paid for his ride or not it doesn't really matter. My bet is he might be bringing some associate sponsorship to the team like DEEM engineering that was on his car at Indy last year

MDS
10th December 2010, 05:13

Gary

Does it matter?

Whether Ed paid for his ride or not it doesn't really matter. My bet is he might be bringing some associate sponsorship to the team like DEEM engineering that was on his car at Indy last year. Or his connection to Fuzzy might allow Sarah Fisher racing to run two fully-sponsored cars at Indy.

Scotty G.
10th December 2010, 06:02

Gary

Sarah had a 9 race deal in 2010 (although Graham Rahal ended up running one of the races) with DG.

Sarah has a 9 race deal in 2011 with Carpenter driving with DG.

Its the same deal. Hildebrand turned her down and he wouldn't have brought any money either. Ed was the 2nd choice to replace Sarah in 2011.

If additional races are added, then its possible that Ed would have to find money to do those races. Or Sarah may find it herself.

Ed is not bringing much more then his helmet bag to this deal. No Vision people. No Vision equipment (unless SFR buys it from TG). This is Sarah and Andy O'Gara's team and Ed is their driver that they chose for the partial-season deal that they have with their sponsors.

Now as MDS pointed out, Ed's relationship with Fuzzy's Vodka could result in SFR running a 2nd funded car at Indy and a few other events. As Ed pointed out the other night, the couple of other events Fuzzy's might be interested in sponsorsing were already taken by Dollar General. I am sure Indy is at the top of that list.

Sarah also could be in line to partner with Gary Peterson as well at Indy for his effort. But there are a couple other teams also possible as well that could end up with AFS.

Still a lot to sort out. Only thing for certain is that Jay Howard will not ever return to SFR in any capacity.

garyshell
10th December 2010, 07:15
Does it matter?

Whether Ed paid for his ride or not it doesn't really matter. My bet is he might be bringing some associate sponsorship to the team like DEEM engineering that was on his car at Indy last year. Or his connection to Fuzzy might allow Sarah Fisher racing to run two fully-sponsored cars at Indy.

It matters only in the context of whether or not he is a ride buyer. Not to suggest that it puts any sort of stigma on him, but if he isn't, might this signal a new trend with owners picking riders on merit and seeking the funding themselves.

Having said that, it might just signal how Sarah plans to run her organization. And good for her, if that is the case. It might not be a trend yet, but if it's true, it might signal a crack in the business model.

Gary

garyshell
10th December 2010, 07:17
Sarah had a 9 race deal in 2010 (although Graham Rahal ended up running one of the races) with DG.

Sarah has a 9 race deal in 2011 with Carpenter driving with DG.

Its the same deal. Hildebrand turned her down and he wouldn't have brought any money either. Ed was the 2nd choice to replace Sarah in 2011.

I hope you are right (despite EagleEye's statement). See my comment to MDS above.

Gary

TURN3
10th December 2010, 12:33
It matters only in the context of whether or not he is a ride buyer. Not to suggest that it puts any sort of stigma on him, but if he isn't, might this signal a new trend with owners picking riders on merit and seeking the funding themselves.

Having said that, it might just signal how Sarah plans to run her organization. And good for her, if that is the case. It might not be a trend yet, but if it's true, it might signal a crack in the business model.

Gary

Which backs up the talk all of us had last year, speaking of SFR's operation. Class, professional, and hard working. The way it is SUPPOSED to be. Coughs, AA & KV...in particular.

Otto-Matic
10th December 2010, 12:45
Still a lot to sort out. Only thing for certain is that Jay Howard will not ever return to SFR in any capacity.

Scotty, just out of curiosity what is it about Jay Howard that people dont like?
i've seen you post some things before about how he is very unpopular in the paddock and that it comes from his off the track actions, can you shed any light on this? Did it have anything to do w/ his situation at Roth in '08?
all we see if the PR stuff that makes him look like a great guy.

NiekJ
10th December 2010, 15:53
A couple of months ago Junior Strous told on dutch television that he will drive for HVM next season. The plan was to drive the road courses on the second half of the season this year, that was until SDS destroyed a car. I haven't heard anything about it since then. But I guess it is still on?

EagleEye
10th December 2010, 17:36

Gary

Here are the Facts:

-TG provided funding to start Vision Racing for Ed. Prior to that, TG provided funding to Cheever when Ed raced there.

-TG provided funding for Ed to be in a car last year.

-TG was "shopping Ed" to various teams, which included funding.

How much of the TG's funding was offest by money they raised (Fuzzy's vodka, etc.)? I do not know.

I would be shocked that they would shop him around with the promise of funding, only to pull that back with SFR. SFR required additional funding to move forward....

If you review some of the reports from motorsports writers on those who were paid to drive last year, Ed was not listed.

Ed is an extremely nice person. He has done well, at times. He does not thrash equipment, and he is an American. But, like Marco, he is driving because of those who are backing him finanically (his family).

MDS
10th December 2010, 18:29
It's not like Sarah Fisher had a bevy of drivers to choose from. Yes a number of drivers talked with them but only as a "Safety" team. Sarah Fisher racing is like that local college you apply to in case everything else fails. J.R. Hildebrand and J.K. Vernay did not consider SFR their first choice, or probably even their second choice.

Ed may or may not have brought money to the table but he was the only driver willing to commit before the New Year. I don't know for a fact by Dollar General probably wanted a deal done by a certain date and if they waited for another driver to come available they might have lost Dollar General. Even if he brought money signing an early deal allows them time to find more money for more races.

Scotty G.
11th December 2010, 22:36
Here are the Facts:

-TG provided funding to start Vision Racing for Ed. Prior to that, TG provided funding to Cheever when Ed raced there.

-TG provided funding for Ed to be in a car last year.

-TG was "shopping Ed" to various teams, which included funding.

How much of the TG's funding was offest by money they raised (Fuzzy's vodka, etc.)? I do not know.

I would be shocked that they would shop him around with the promise of funding, only to pull that back with SFR. SFR required additional funding to move forward....

If you review some of the reports from motorsports writers on those who were paid to drive last year, Ed was not listed.

Ed is an extremely nice person. He has done well, at times. He does not thrash equipment, and he is an American. But, like Marco, he is driving because of those who are backing him finanically (his family).

Most of that might be true.

But SFR had a 9 race deal with DG in 2010 (with Sarah driving) and SFR has a 9 race deal with DG in 2011 with Ed driving.

He is not bringing any substantial money (if any money at all) to this DG portion of the deal. If more races are added, then he would likely have to.

Scotty G.
11th December 2010, 22:38
J.R. Hildebrand and J.K. Vernay did not consider SFR their first choice, or probably even their second choice.

SFR and DG had ZERO interest in JK Vernay. And why would they? He was lost last year on ovals in Lights. And SFR cares about oval racing.

Plus DG wouldn't want a French driver anyway. They want American drivers.

Scotty G.
11th December 2010, 22:41
Scotty, just out of curiosity what is it about Jay Howard that people dont like?
i've seen you post some things before about how he is very unpopular in the paddock and that it comes from his off the track actions, can you shed any light on this? Did it have anything to do w/ his situation at Roth in '08?
all we see if the PR stuff that makes him look like a great guy.

Can't comment on what happened with Roth, but lets just say Jay made no friends with SFR last year.

Not sure who was at fault, but they were as glad to see him go away and his few race deal end, as he likely was happy to leave them.

Just a real bad marriage between ride-buyer driver and race team.

Chamoo
14th December 2010, 04:11
Robin Miller says JR Hildebrand to be confirmed tomorrow, and Rahal+Kimball to be confirmed Thursday.

EagleEye
14th December 2010, 20:40
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

Power
HCN
Briscoe

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario

Ganassi/Prudhomme Racing
Rahal
Kimbal

Should be announced soon. Team coming together, and looks like all the funding is in place. Shop is in Brownsburg, about 20-30 minutes from the Ganassi shop. Good staff being put together. Kimbal looks set for a full time ride, but we'll see how things are on Thursday. I met Charlie early in his karting career, and later when he was racing F2000 at Road America. I have always been impressed with him, on and off the track, and I hope the funding comes together.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Sato
Viso
Ride buyer ~3

KV Renta Team-Mutoh trying to get money togerther, Viso seems to have some funding as well. Viso's funding is coming along, and might trump Mutoh. Mutoh could be here, or DR or gone. Some peg TK here, but the team has not paid a driver since they had Power.

Panther
JR Hildebrand

MDS was one of the first to place JR here. They were looking for an American and it looks like they have a good one. I have never met him, but look forward to having him in the series.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TK

Money is an issue- TK would be in, save for his current salary demands, which he deserves. TK wants $3 million, but may have to take a pay cut. The music is still playing, but not many rides remain.

HVM
SDS

Money a big issue here.

Conquest
Bag
TBD

Money is also an issue here. Look for two paying drivers.

FAZZT
Tagliani
Tung

Newman Hass
Servia
Hinch

Team testing Servia and Hinch, and is working on funding for both drivers in 2011.

Wilson
Conway
TBD 2

Sarah Fisher Racing
Carpenter

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2/?

MDS
15th December 2010, 01:03
Seriously this is the best silly season in almost a decade. Other than the litany of announcements everything should be wrapped up by Mid January when the NHR and Hinchcliffe deal should be announced. The hold up is the broadcast schedule announcement. Last year was Dec. 1 last year and from what I hear this year's schedule won't be announced until after the NBC/Comcast merger, read into that what you will. Supposedly the Canadian sponsor is waiting on the TV package and the second car's sponsorship is waiting on the Canadian deal to be signed.

I don't expect to see announcements from KVRT and Coyne until testing while Conquest and HVM will probably keep their same drivers as last year.

The free agent market is ratcheting up as the seats start to dwindle. Alex Lloyd, Pippa Mann, Oriol Servia, Tomas Sheckter, Tony Kannan, Dan Wheldon Adam Carroll, Paul Tracy are fight for rides with some new names Fairuz Fauzy (Potentially at KV in a 4th car) and Andy Soueck. Also there are probably three or four deals with drivers and teams lined up and are waiting on sponsorship.

beachbum
15th December 2010, 02:17
Robin Miller says JR Hildebrand to be confirmed tomorrow, and Rahal+Kimball to be confirmed Thursday.Hildebrand was officially confirmed by Panther today.

EagleEye
16th December 2010, 15:44
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

Power
HCN
Briscoe

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario

Ganassi/Prudhomme Racing
Rahal
Kimbal

All set, but we shall see what the actual team name is. Graham will be living in Indy during most of the season, and this is a welcome addition.

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Sato
Viso
Ride buyer ~3

KV Renta Team-Mutoh trying to get money togerther, Viso seems to have some funding as well. Viso's funding is coming along, and might trump Mutoh. Mutoh could be here, or DR or gone. Some peg TK here, but the team has not paid a driver since they had Power.

Panther
JR Hildebrand

MDS was one of the first to place JR here. They were looking for an American and it looks like they have a good one. I have never met him, but look forward to having him in the series.

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TBD/TK

Money is an issue- TK would be in, save for his current salary demands, which he deserves. TK wants $3 million, but may have to take a pay cut. The music is still playing, but not many rides remain.

HVM
TBD

Money a big issue here. While tehy would love to have SDS back, they look set to run a ride buyer.

Conquest
TBD
TBD

FAZZT
Tagliani
Tung

Newman Hass
Hinch
TBD/Servia/TK

Hinch should be set, and the team is looking at securing the funding for the second car. Servia would be the first choice, but if they hit teh funding jackpot, TK could come to play

Wilson
TBD1
TBD 2

Wilson set, and several are looking at teaming with him next year. Weldon has made noise, but for all the wrong reasons, and would need some funding. Conway could be back, if the funding is available.

Sarah Fisher Racing
Carpenter

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2/?

Viso or Mutoh could end up here as well. Not sure about Milka, but the biggest check wins!

Driver Roundup-

TK-

Wants $3 million or so for a top flight ride. He trying to get funding from Brazil that he can take to a top team, but those rides are full so De Ferran would be the best pick, as would Newman Haas.

Weldon-

It might be hard for anyone to bite on Weldon, since he under performed and is suing his former team. I think he will be at Indy for someone, maybe even Foyt, but I think he will not have a seat for the season. He has dropped his asking price, but may need to secure funding.

SDS-

If TK does not end up at Deferran, and SDS is out at HVM, look for Simona to drive full or part time, for Deferran or KVRT Rent a Ride operation.

Viso-

Has funding, and should return to the KVRT Rent a Ride team, but could take his funding to DR as well. Might also find a way back to HVM.

Speedy Dan Clarke-

Working with Walker to secure funding. It would be great to have DW back int eh series.

MDS
16th December 2010, 16:09
The press conference is going on, its confirmed, Graham and Charlie Kimbal at at a Ganassi B-Team with Service Central and Novo Nordisk. Kimball will drive the 83 and Graham will be in the 38, which is probably where the rumors of Red Bull got started since Chip just snagged their traditional numbers.

TURN3
16th December 2010, 16:22
The press conference is going on, its confirmed, Graham and Charlie Kimbal at at a Ganassi B-Team with Service Central and Novo Nordisk. Kimball will drive the 83 and Graham will be in the 38, which is probably where the rumors of Red Bull got started since Chip just snagged their traditional numbers.

Happy for the announcement in many levels (including 2 more places back you know who will be most of the time :D ). But what's going on with number selections these says? Neither looks right in an Indycar and they both look slow before even getting on track! Its a perceptual think for me...sorry.

MDS
16th December 2010, 17:05
This has been the best Silly Season in a decade, new qualified drivers who want to build a career in Indy Cars, new sponsors including some Fortune 500 companies.

de Ferran/Dragon Racing
2 Tony Kannan? Alex Lloyd? Simon Pagenaud HP (They're cheaper than TK and more accomplished than Rafa)

Team Penske
3 Helio Castroneves Shell (Indy and several other races)/AAA of SoCal (Long Beach and Texas)
6 Ryan Brisco Izod
12 Will Power – Verizon Wireless

Panther Racing
4 J.R Hildebrand National Guard (R)

KV Lotus Racing
5- Takuma Sato Lotus
8- E.J. Viso? Lotus/PDVSA?
15 Oriol Servia?/ Hideki Mutoh?/Paul Tracy?
32 Fairuz Fauzy?

Andretti Autosport
11 (I'm hearing there will be a fourth car, but not sure who)
37 Ryan Hunter Reay

Target Chip Ganassi
9 Scott Dixon – Target
38 Graham Rahal – Service Central brands
83 Charlie Kimball- Novo Nordisk (R)

AJFE
14 Vitor Meria ABC Construction

Walker Racing
55?- Dan Clarke/Johnathan Summerton

Dale Coyne
Seriously who knows, but this seems like a likely landing place for someone like Sebastian Saavedra or possibly Jonathan Summerton. Also Alex Lloyd might be back.
18 ???
19 ???

24 Conway?/Tracy?/anyone with a check?

Conquest Racing
34 Bertrand Bagguette
36 Tomas Sheckter?

FAZZT Race Team
33 Ho Ping Tung (R)
77 Alex Tagliani B&W Speakers/Hot Wheels of Canada

HVM Racing
78 Simona De Silvestro

Newman Haas Racing
They're waiting on sponsorship deals to be signed, they could be back with a vengeance in 2011 or just survive. They're moving forward like the deals they have in the work will be done and they apparently have some new associates signed already. Also I'm just guessing at the numbers because the cars weren't numbered at the Seabring test.
02 Oriol Servia/Tony Kannan?
06 James Hinchcliff (R)

Part Time
Sarah Fisher Raciing
67 Ed Carpenter Dollar General

de Ferran Dragon Racing
21 Davy Hamilton HP (Indy, Texas one or two others)

Bryan Herta Autosport
Wants to do Indy and as many as five other races

Free Agents
Oriol Servia
Robert Doornbos
Alex Lloyd
Hideki Mutoh
Dan Wheldon
Fairuz Fauzy
Sebastian Saavedra
Simon Pagenaud (He's not trying as hard as the other but I've heard his name linked to Walker, de Ferran Dragon and Coyne.)
Jonathan Summerton

jackmart
16th December 2010, 17:42
I'm curious how this satellite team for Chip will be compared to his main team. Do you think the cars will be as competitive and running up front, or because it's a satellite team the cars won't be of that top tier quality?

MDS
16th December 2010, 18:06
During the press conference Chip said they were adapting a Hendrick Model where they have two teams in one shop and then two teams in another nearby shop. Both Novo Nordisk and Service Central are big multi-year deals so they need to be competitive off the bat. I would expect Graham to be stronger than Kimball for a while, but I have to think the expectations for both drivers is that they would win a race in 2011.

Nikki Katz
16th December 2010, 19:16
Good news from Ganassi, countering the drop in car count that we seem to be having so far in the off-season :)

jwhite9185
16th December 2010, 19:44
But what's going on with number selections these says? Neither looks right in an Indycar and they both look slow before even getting on track! Its a perceptual think for me...sorry.

I know what you mean - bring back the old numbering system where the cars were numbered according to where they finished the previous season!

And its a rubbish theory, but in my mind the lower the number the quicker the car. I can see why NHL went with 02 and 06 rather than say 62 and 66

Chamoo
16th December 2010, 20:47
Good news from Ganassi, countering the drop in car count that we seem to be having so far in the off-season :)

Asides from Andretti Autosport, I don't think we have seen a drop off in car counts yet.

We haven't heard from the 2nd and 3rd tier teams yet. KVRT is potentially going to be at 4 cars, AA could still be at 4 cars according to rumors, FAZZT is looking at 2 cars.

Teams like HVM, DeFerran Dragon, Conquest and DCR will come through with atleast 1 if not 2 cars.

Scotty G.
16th December 2010, 23:35
de Ferran/Dragon Racing
2 Tony Kannan? Alex Lloyd? Simon Pagenaud HP (They're cheaper than TK and more accomplished than Rafa)

Andretti Autosport
11 (I'm hearing there will be a fourth car, but not sure who)
37 Ryan Hunter Reay

Walker Racing
55?- Dan Clarke/Johnathan Summerton

FAZZT Race Team
33 Ho Ping Tung (R)
77 Alex Tagliani B&W Speakers/Hot Wheels of Canada

Some corrections and guesses...

-If TK goes to Dragon (as expected), they will run the #11. That is TK's number and Andretti should smartly give it up. 11 (TK) and 21 (Hamilton) for the team at Indy.

-Andretti will run the #27 (which was barely used last year, but has a long heritage with the team) for their 4th car. The #43 for John Andretti at Indy again. Would not at all be surprised if Wheldon returns as the 4th driver. If he doesn't, he could end up back at Panther in a 2nd car at Indy.

-I think Walker will either run the #15 (which he used with Sarah) or the #25. Clarke is not in the picture (nor should he be) for a ICS seat. A potential 2nd car (for Indy) would likely be the #98, since his partnership is with Greg Beck and the folks from 3G Racing.

-Ho Tung Pin will be in the #88 for FAZZT.

-If Dragon gives up the #2, look for Newman-Haas to scoop it up. Hinch ran the #2 in Lights last year and the number is a traditional N/H number. He is a lock to be in one N/H car.

Scotty G.
16th December 2010, 23:36
Asides from Andretti Autosport, I don't think we have seen a drop off in car counts yet.

Robin Miller, in mid December, thinks there will be at least 45 legit cars at Indy in 2011.

Its really not that hard to get to that number either.

Chamoo
17th December 2010, 15:20
Robin Miller, in mid December, thinks there will be at least 45 legit cars at Indy in 2011.

Its really not that hard to get to that number either.

Dallara's won't be hard to come by as teams will be looking to get the cars out of their shops and onto the track in their last year of eligibility.

EagleEye
17th December 2010, 22:02
Some corrections and guesses...

-If TK goes to Dragon (as expected), they will run the #11. That is TK's number and Andretti should smartly give it up. 11 (TK) and 21 (Hamilton) for the team at Indy.

-Andretti will run the #27 (which was barely used last year, but has a long heritage with the team) for their 4th car. The #43 for John Andretti at Indy again. Would not at all be surprised if Wheldon returns as the 4th driver. If he doesn't, he could end up back at Panther in a 2nd car at Indy.

-I think Walker will either run the #15 (which he used with Sarah) or the #25. Clarke is not in the picture (nor should he be) for a ICS seat. A potential 2nd car (for Indy) would likely be the #98, since his partnership is with Greg Beck and the folks from 3G Racing.

-Ho Tung Pin will be in the #88 for FAZZT.

-If Dragon gives up the #2, look for Newman-Haas to scoop it up. Hinch ran the #2 in Lights last year and the number is a traditional N/H number. He is a lock to be in one N/H car.

AA does not have the funding to run a fourth car right now. There was some discussion in running the #27 for RHR, instead of the #37, now that Izod has gone to Penske. Not sure where this is at, and as they still have the rights to #11, they could use that with RHR as well. They still have 7-11 as an associate sponsor. Could see Wheldon here at Indy, since he has offered to drive for prize money.

-If TK goes to De ferran Dragon, they will keep the #2 as this was one of Roger's numbers in the past. There is a presser on the 20th, where it looks they will announce their plans for next year. I'm trying to get the latest from TK via email....

-Walker AND Clarke are making the rounds, working together to get something for next year. 3G owes quite a bit of money, so anyone joinging forces with them does so with debt to pay. I do not see it, but they could end up getting the car, so who knows. I would think DW would try to get the #15 or #25.

-No idea on what number Tung Pin would be, but I would think they would start with #33, but that is my guess.

Scotty G.
17th December 2010, 22:14
-AA does not have the funding to run a fourth car right now. Could see Wheldon here at Indy, since he has offered to drive for prize money.

-If TK goes to De ferran Dragon, they will keep the #2 as this was one of Roger's numbers in the past. There is a presser on the 20th, where it looks they will announce their plans for next year. I'm trying to get the latest from TK via email....

-Walker AND Clarke are making the rounds, working together to get something for next year. 3G owes quite a bit of money, so anyone joinging forces with them does so with debt to pay. I do not see it, but they could end up getting the car, so who knows. I would think DW would try to get the #15 or #25.

-No idea on what number Tung Pin would be, but I would think they would start with #33, but that is my guess.

-Wheldon is reportedly (although he has kept it VERY quiet) very confident in a full-season ride. If you look around, there aren't many out there that would suit Dan. Andretti (who has said over-and-over again that they will run 4 full-time cars) makes the most sense. I guess we'll see.

-They very well could keep the #2. Not sure how much Penske has used that number in the past, so I don't think its that big a deal. Penske probably has more history with the #66 and #68, then he does the #2. TK has run the #11 for many years now. He should run it now until he retires. And the #11 and #21 would work well symetrically, for the team. Plus, Newman-Haas could get the #2 back for Hinch and quit using those lame-ass 0 numbers.

-Unless things have changed, Walker is partnered up now with many of the folks from 3G. They very well might owe money. But they aren't 3G Racing anymore. They are Walker Racing Partners (I think this is the official name of the team). Dan Clarke is terrible and should stay in Indy Lights where he belongs. Hopefully they do the right thing and sign Summerton.

-Ho Tung will run the #88 for FAZZT (if that deal gets completed, as expected). Its the number that was used on the car during the FAZZT test and its supposedly some "lucky" number in the Chinese culture.

TURN3
17th December 2010, 22:33
One thing is for da.... Sure, there will be some strong fields next year. If you're going to run top 10 you're going to have to hustle. Pit strategy will still get some people in that range once in awhile but I don't see many top 5's by fluke any more. Really hoping tk is set at deferran (my call from day one experts). If Edmonton being back on lands PT at KV, Servia and Hinch get confirmed at NH...its going to be one helluva year. All this has me thrilled that my least fav driver becomes that much more "exposed"...and I don't mean in photo shoots either.

EagleEye
18th December 2010, 01:47
Bold is set-

Andretti Autosport
Marco
Danica
RHR

Power
HCN
Briscoe

Target Chip Ganassi
Dixon
Dario

Ganassi II
Rahal
Kimbal

A.J. Foyt Enterprises
Vitor

KVRT
Sato
Viso
Ride buyer ~3

Panther
JR Hildebrand

de Ferran Dragon Racing
TK
TBD

All set, to be made official 12/20. Hamilton in for three races or so, but the team is working on a 2nd car. Pagenaud? SDS? ???

HVM
TBD/Viso/Ride Buyer?

Money a big issue here. While they would love to have SDS back, they look set to run a ride buyer.

Conquest
TBD
TBD

FAZZT
Tagliani
Tung

Newman Hass
Hinch
TBD/Servia

Hinch should be set, and the team is looking at securing the funding for the second car. Servia would be the first choice, Dreyer and Reinbold Racing

D&R
Wilson
TBD1
TBD 2

Wilson set, and several are looking at teaming with him next year. Weldon has made noise, but for all the wrong reasons, and would need some funding. Conway could be back, if the funding is available.

Sarah Fisher Racing
Carpenter

Dale Coyne Racing
Ride buyer 1
Ride buyer 2/?

Viso or Mutoh could end up here as well. Not sure about Milka, but the biggest check wins!

EagleEye
18th December 2010, 01:56
-Wheldon is reportedly (although he has kept it VERY quiet) very confident in a full-season ride. If you look around, there aren't many out there that would suit Dan. Andretti (who has said over-and-over again that they will run 4 full-time cars) makes the most sense. I guess we'll see.

-They very well could keep the #2. Not sure how much Penske has used that number in the past, so I don't think its that big a deal. Penske probably has more history with the #66 and #68, then he does the #2. TK has run the #11 for many years now. He should run it now until he retires. And the #11 and #21 would work well symetrically, for the team. Plus, Newman-Haas could get the #2 back for Hinch and quit using those lame-ass 0 numbers.

-Unless things have changed, Walker is partnered up now with many of the folks from 3G. They very well might owe money. But they aren't 3G Racing anymore. They are Walker Racing Partners (I think this is the official name of the team). Dan Clarke is terrible and should stay in Indy Lights where he belongs. Hopefully they do the right thing and sign Summerton.

-Ho Tung will run the #88 for FAZZT (if that deal gets completed, as expected). Its the number that was used on the car during the FAZZT test and its supposedly some "lucky" number in the Chinese culture.

Penske Racing Ran the 2, 3 in the early 90's when Newman Haas was running, 5, 6. They took 3 and 6 when the entered the IRL full time, when Menard/TG had #2.

I agree that Clarke is not worthy of a ride, but he and DW were making the rounds here in Indy. The "partnership" with 3G, is more an agreement that DW will purchase equipement, if he gets funding. He also would love to run Pagenaud, so maybe he is working with him instead. Or maybe, with a former driver of his who is looking to return with Chevy power in 2012, cough...

#88 for Tung? Chinese secret? I can agree with that.

MDS
18th December 2010, 18:07
Mike Lanigan buys into his third team in six years with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/40776-lanigan-joins-as-co-owner-of-rahal-letterman-lanigan-racing/

What I've been hearing for a while is that RLLR may end up as the team that runs Indy one-offs for one or two NASCAR drivers who want to compete in the Indy 500 this year.

Dr. Krogshöj
18th December 2010, 22:36
As I understand, PT has backing from Motegi Wheels and Honda Canada (as well as personal sponsorship from Monster Energy). Put that together with Dad's Root Beer, Roll Coater and TranSystems, and you have a full season at Dreyer & Reinbold as teammate to Justin Wilson.