PDA

View Full Version : Drivers could lose Super-licence for Road Offences

Retro Formula 1
8th September 2010, 16:09
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86472

Well, off the top of my head, that's Lewis and Schumy gone in recent years.

Does beg the question of what would happen if a Judge through bias or wanting to make a name for himself decided to throw the book at a driver for a minor misdemeanour.
I do agree that F1 drivers need to show responsibility on the public roads but I would imagine the Team and Sponsors would bear anough pressure on a driver should he transgress. I bet Lewis copped a shedload of trouble after his Oz antics :D

ArrowsFA1
8th September 2010, 16:18
Gilles Villeneuve's trips from his South of France home to Maranello would not have sat well with today's FIA.

Sonic
8th September 2010, 22:27
Excellent news. Racing drivers (in any series) should be expected to set a good example on the public highways - we do after all get to play with expensive and powerful machinery most weekends - so if the thought of the loss of that privilege slows them down......great.

gloomyDAY
8th September 2010, 22:51
Excellent news. Racing drivers (in any series) should be expected to set a good example on the public highways - we do after all get to play with expensive and powerful machinery most weekends - so if the thought of the loss of that privilege slows them down......great.No! A driver's duty should be to drive fast and win when he's racing. What he does off the grid is his business and his business only. I'm sick of drivers being told what to do by manufacturers, sponsors, and now the FIA. Drivers aren't a bunch of pussy "nice guys" just let them race.

ZEROX
8th September 2010, 23:42
No! A driver's duty should be to drive fast and win when he's racing. What he does off the grid is his business and his business only. I'm sick of drivers being told what to do by manufacturers, sponsors, and now the FIA. Drivers aren't a bunch of pussy "nice guys" just let them race.

No . Driver must be set as an example to those driver out there . Driving like crazy on the road is so UN-profesional . Why Terry got strip out from is captaincy ? That's because he's not setting off the good example to the public . Formula One should be like this . If you're on the pro/top level , it's all about being a good example . ;)

...and i don't think it'll slow down the driver on the track . :D

Easy Drifter
9th September 2010, 01:19
It has always been possible back to even the 50's. Just never happens.
If a driver loses his road licence he in theory loses his racing licence.
It used to be that drivers often held licences in two or three countries

Saint Devote
9th September 2010, 02:51
Excellent news. Racing drivers (in any series) should be expected to set a good example on the public highways - we do after all get to play with expensive and powerful machinery most weekends - so if the thought of the loss of that privilege slows them down......great.

I strongly disagree with you.

No driver is responsible for the actions of anyone else. And making a rule so that feeble minded morons might be "protected" is the height of immorality.

The most ridiculous load of bull snot remains the "hooning" nonsense that saw Lewis Hamilton in the dock.

The drivers should turn around to the dratted FIA and tell them what to do. The whole Superlicense rule is nonsense anyway and is a way to excercise control over people.

The FIA is too powerful and now - just like goverment across the world - is beginning to intrude into peoples lives and livelihood.

Thank GOD for the RIGHT to bear arms enshrined in the US Constitution.

:vader: Goddam collectivists!

Saint Devote
9th September 2010, 02:57
Gilles Villeneuve's trips from his South of France home to Maranello would not have sat well with today's FIA.

I don't think Gilles Villeneuve would have been welcomed by the FIA today and I dont think that GV would have WANTED to be part of f1 as it is today with the driver now counting even LESS and all the Public Relations and corporate BS - personally I dont know how Lewis and Jenson stand the demands that McLaren load onto them.

After all if you remember prior to the tragedy he had said that he hated the ground effect cars because the driver counted for much less and said that he considered leaving f1 until it all changed.

Sonic
9th September 2010, 07:30

No driver is responsible for the actions of anyone else. And making a rule so that feeble minded morons might be "protected" is the height of immorality.

The most ridiculous load of bull snot remains the "hooning" nonsense that saw Lewis Hamilton in the dock.

The drivers should turn around to the dratted FIA and tell them what to do. The whole Superlicense rule is nonsense anyway and is a way to excercise control over people.

Sorry dude but I strongly disagree with you. As someone who works with the next generation of drivers in karting at the moment we are always trying to stress that they need to have two styles of driving - on track, and then road - we train them for both.

It does our cause no end of harm when tales of top class drivers stupidity on the public highway reaches their impressionable ears.

Mark
9th September 2010, 07:42
Of course their licence cannot be taken away from them by anyone but the FIA. But I would suggest that it's only appropriate to ban someone if their offence is very serious.
"Hooning around" doesn't count.

If the offence was serious enough that the driver concerned has had his road licence revoked for a year or more, then the FIA should consider their position. But not if it's race bans for getting speeding tickets.

Sonic
9th September 2010, 08:02

Sorry dude but I strongly disagree with you. As someone who works with the next generation of drivers in karting at the moment we are always trying to stress that they need to have two styles of driving - on track, and then road - we train them for both.

It does our cause no end of harm when tales of top class drivers stupidity on the public highway reaches their impressionable ears.

F1boat
9th September 2010, 08:29
No! A driver's duty should be to drive fast and win when he's racing. What he does off the grid is his business and his business only. I'm sick of drivers being told what to do by manufacturers, sponsors, and now the FIA. Drivers aren't a bunch of pussy "nice guys" just let them race.
It's shocking, but it seems that I agree completely with you...

I am evil Homer
9th September 2010, 09:16
If an F1 driver killed someone whilst driving they should be stripped/suspended anyway. Doing doughnuts on a closed road isn't the same thing.

Retro Formula 1
9th September 2010, 09:26
In theory, a driver should be able to turn up at a track and drive. Anything outside of his job should be private and not subjected to media scrutiny.

In practice, as this forum proves quite conveniently, the opposite is true. Part of the role of a driver these days is to represent his team, his sponsors and the sport as a whole because the worlds eyes are on F1.

I think that somewhere between the 2 extremes is where the answer lies and I'm sure the FIA isn't going to be punishing drivers for doing 35 in a 30 zone. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if behind this is a train of thought leading to the FIA's road safety campaign. Look at the sterling work Schumacher has been involved with for several years now after his indiscretions? The FIA's been championing road safety for years and is doing a superb job aided and assisted by FIA drivers. Perhaps this is behind their thinking with this initiative.

ArrowsFA1
9th September 2010, 09:35
The FIA's been championing road safety for years and is doing a superb job aided and assisted by FIA drivers. Perhaps this is behind their thinking with this initiative.
I'm sure it is - http://www.makeroadssafe.org

Rusty Spanner
9th September 2010, 14:24
I fear this would be a slippery slope and is a whole can of worms that is best left unopened. In the end the drivers are individual contractors to the teams. They do not work for the FIA and I don’t really feel it is the FIA place to impose these kinds of restrictions on them. The super licence should be based on whether they physically capable and able to drive an F1 car safely and really very little else. The teams and sponsors will generally impose most of the other requirements.
I suppose the open ended point that the article does not address is really what sort of offense would be sufficient to justify a race ban.

Big Ben
9th September 2010, 15:24

The FIA is too powerful and now - just like goverment across the world - is beginning to intrude into peoples lives and livelihood.

But then again wouldn't you say that it's possible (not that it has ever happened... God forbid) that innocent people died in traffic accident and and it's for them that our governments need to do these things (and I can barely see any other real use for them) I mean only a slow witted man would think that only those stupid enough to do silly things when driving die in car crashes, right?

And it's a good thing from the FIA because it takes a very ugly fact in consideration... that this world is made of many stupid people who would try to do silly things just because their 'idols' did it too... and as I've said above it wouldn't be much if only their lives would be in danger but you might die walking on the side walk because some idiot tried to imitate (unsuccessfully) Hammy boy and I don't want that, I don't want you to die Sainty... not like that. I want you to get older and live the smooth transition to senility, use diapers again, get abandoned by children, sleep all day and all the other stuff that make those golden ages... golden... and be truly relieved when that final moment comes.

Big Ben
9th September 2010, 15:30
I don't think Gilles Villeneuve would have been welcomed by the FIA today and I dont think that GV would have WANTED to be part of f1 as it is today with the driver now counting even LESS and all the Public Relations and corporate BS -

After all if you remember prior to the tragedy he had said that he hated the ground effect cars because the driver counted for much less and said that he considered leaving f1 until it all changed.

I don't know what GV did but if he was driving on public roads like he was on a circuit than that's a really stupid behavior.

personally I dont know how Lewis and Jenson stand the demands that McLaren load onto them.

let me give you a subtle hint: an enormous paycheck... there you go, mistery solved

I am evil Homer
9th September 2010, 16:34
Yep massive pay check, free watches, free phones....must be a tough life getting all that and doing a job you love.

AJP
10th September 2010, 01:22
Yep massive pay check, free watches, free phones....must be a tough life getting all that and doing a job you love.

exactly....

Mia 01
10th September 2010, 06:44
Another new rule from FIA.

May the force be with you Lewis.

gloomyDAY
10th September 2010, 06:51
Yep massive pay check, free watches, free phones....must be a tough life getting all that and doing a job you love.You also have to pretend to be a little fruit cake.

No wonder Kimi left!

wmcot
10th September 2010, 07:23
I think this is one time I agree with the FIA. It makes sense that you should be required to have a standard driver's license before you can get a super-license.

It is much the same as requiring me to pass a regular license exam before moving on to getting a commercial driver's license so I can drive around a school bus full of children. Should a school bus driver be allowed to drive children if his license is suspended from actions off the job?

These highly paid drivers are examples whether they want to be or not. To allow a driver to keep his super-license after his road license has been suspended sort of makes them above the law.

CNR
10th September 2010, 13:13
Another new rule from FIA.

May the force be with you Lewis.

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=others/10/09/10/AUTO_Italian_Hamilton.html

"We are role models to young kids," Hamilton told Press Association Sport in the Monza paddock ahead of Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.

They look up to us in that they think we are superheroes almost, but even Superman had weaknesses, and when we have our situations, that kind of shows that

motetarip
10th September 2010, 21:52
What a load of rubbish, penalties already exist for misbehaviour on public roads in the form of traffic laws. Holding a superlicence should in no way be affected by your personal driving.

gloomyDAY
10th September 2010, 22:42
http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=others/10/09/10/AUTO_Italian_Hamilton.htmlYou left out a few other quotes from the article.

But what we do in our private life is our private life, and we are human at the end of the day. People at the FIA, or whoever is making the rules, will also be making mistakes. I'm sure Jean Todt has had a speeding ticket. -Lewis Hamilton
That first quote you posted made him seem like a sock puppet.

Easy Drifter
11th September 2010, 02:12
Can you imagine the uproar if a driver lost his superlicence during a tight battle for the world championship with one or two races to go? Never happen.
What might hapeen would be a one month suspension or so in Dec. or Jan. which would mean nothing.

Saint Devote
11th September 2010, 04:17
Well on this matter it does appear that I stand WITH Hamilton and OPPOSE the view of Jense!

NO driver is responsible for anything anyone else does - no matter what they do.

When did this bs start?

It is the task of parents and guardians and so on to teach children to have good self-esteem - ie: teach them to think for themselves and take responsibility for themselves, and not do something and then whining that their "hero" did it so....

It is the height of immorality to place unearned guilt on someone - in this case a racing driver's actions.

But then I am not surprised either - just look at the crumbling, declining permissive societies that are the norm today.

Aristotle is dying and Plato is rising - the tragedy of the world.

Saint Devote
11th September 2010, 04:23
Can you imagine the uproar if a driver lost his superlicence during a tight battle for the world championship with one or two races to go? Never happen.
What might hapeen would be a one month suspension or so in Dec. or Jan. which would mean nothing.

No. Not even suspension for a second or a fine of 1 centilla.

This is a matter of principle and the grubby corrosive poisoned fingers of governance, encroaching upon the rights of people, and making them responsible for others is just evil.

The RIGHT of the SECOND AMENDMENT!

Shifter
11th September 2010, 07:04
In the end the drivers are individual contractors to the teams. They do not work for the FIA and I don’t really feel it is the FIA place to impose these kinds of restrictions on them. The super licence should be based on whether they physically capable and able to drive an F1 car safely and really very little else. The teams and sponsors will generally impose most of the other requirements.

Bravo, RS. You got it exactly. No team would want a troublemaker driver that would tarnish their image.

Saint Devote
11th September 2010, 11:46
Bravo, RS. You got it exactly. No team would want a troublemaker driver that would tarnish their image.

You mean like Lewis' "hooning" - OMG! and Kimi's carousing compared to Renault amd Mclaren in recent years?

I reckon the DRIVER has more to worry about than the TEAM where image is concerned.

ONLY the usual mother Grundy's would think less of Lewis after the silly Australian bs.

Mia 01
11th September 2010, 19:25
Lyíng to the Stewards and the whole world.

He is our role model for sure, the new F1 god.

*Are the fans thinking ......

Shifter
11th September 2010, 19:30
You mean like Lewis' "hooning" - OMG! and Kimi's carousing compared to Renault amd Mclaren in recent years?

I reckon the DRIVER has more to worry about than the TEAM where image is concerned.

ONLY the usual mother Grundy's would think less of Lewis after the silly Australian bs.

No. The point being the team (employer) knows that the hooning isn't worth getting uptight about, something the FIA can't be trusted to understand.

If a driver became a real problem on the road for something like dui's then I'd expect the team to react negatively.

wmcot
12th September 2010, 05:09
What a load of rubbish, penalties already exist for misbehaviour on public roads in the form of traffic laws. Holding a superlicence should in no way be affected by your personal driving.

True, so maybe for serious infractions on the roads the driver should be locked up for a race or two - let's see how that sets with the teams!

wedge
18th September 2010, 15:52

I was thinking the same thing till I read this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313148/Top-racing-driver-jailed-years-killing-motorist-fleeing-scene.html

motetarip
18th September 2010, 18:50
True, so maybe for serious infractions on the roads the driver should be locked up for a race or two - let's see how that sets with the teams!

If i get caught doing 130mph plus on UK roads then prison is almost inevitable (although i'm not famous or well-connected). If a driver does the same, gets locked up and misses a couple races then so be it

nigelred5
18th September 2010, 21:16
Athletes shouldn't be anyone's role models. Teach your children right from wrong yourself and teach them there are consequences to every action and they will be far ahead of the game.

I'm sure everyone one these boards is a SAINT on the roads 24/7/365 and has never ever violated a single traffice ordinance in any way. :rolleyes:

As for the british river, he was driving recklessly, caused a fatal accident, AND FLED THE SCENE. He should have been incarcerated. That's Guaranteed vehicular manslaughter in this country.

maxter
19th September 2010, 00:02
Athletes shouldn't be anyone's role models.
Yet here, in the real world, they are just that, like any other public figure, and that have to be considered no matter how sweet the image of a world where we aren't as easy influenced may seem.

ShiftingGears
19th September 2010, 00:55
As for the british river, he was driving recklessly, caused a fatal accident, AND FLED THE SCENE. He should have been incarcerated. That's Guaranteed vehicular manslaughter in this country.

Can't believe he only got five years. What a prick.

nigelred5
20th September 2010, 12:33
Yet here, in the real world, they are just that, like any other public figure, and that have to be considered no matter how sweet the image of a world where we aren't as easy influenced may seem.

Not to my children they aren't. ;)

The first thing I would point out is the consequesnce of poorly chosen actions. My kids are 9 and 13 and both are already long down the road to learning traffic laws and safe driving on public roads.

Retro Formula 1
20th September 2010, 13:36
Can't believe he only got five years. What a prick.

You said it.

I hope he never gets another race licence. Sounds like a great family... NOT!

Big Ben
20th September 2010, 15:04
No. Not even suspension for a second or a fine of 1 centilla.

This is a matter of principle and the grubby corrosive poisoned fingers of governance, encroaching upon the rights of people, and making them responsible for others is just evil.

The RIGHT of the SECOND AMENDMENT!

is that the amendment about the right to endanger the lives of others?