PDA

View Full Version : Chicago controversy?

garyshell
3rd September 2010, 06:37
TommyKendall11: Word on the street in Kentucky: there were 4 cars SIGNIFICANTLY out of spec after Chicagoland. Interesting to see how this plays out!

From Tommy Kendall's twitter feed.

Gary

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd September 2010, 06:41
IndyCar will probably settle the matter quietly, using the famous secret rulebook.

Lousada
3rd September 2010, 08:46
IndyCar will probably settle the matter quietly, using the famous secret rulebook.

Indeed, just like Penskes fifth damper RM wrote about earlier this season.

EagleEye
3rd September 2010, 15:42
From Tommy Kendall's twitter feed.

Gary

There were six, six! cars at Indy that were not within spec. They populated the top ten, and those who were not in the top ten were not happy at all.

We have not been in a reasonable positon to protest, but past protests (last year, and the prior year) have fallen on deaf ears.

garyshell
3rd September 2010, 16:07
There were six, six! cars at Indy that were not within spec. They populated the top ten, and those who were not in the top ten were not happy at all.

We have not been in a reasonable positon to protest, but past protests (last year, and the prior year) have fallen on deaf ears.

Can you shed any light on this? How were they out of spec?

Gary

EagleEye
3rd September 2010, 16:57
Can you shed any light on this? How were they out of spec?

Gary

Aero, suspension geometry, and parts that are not approved.

They seem to snag the small teams on things, but not the big teams. In '08 one team was even using tire warmers befor quals! We were snagged in tech for using a non-approved suspension part. We were told that we could use it, but we would have to use it in the race as well. There was nothing in the rule book about this item.

In order to cut costs, they have limited some of the suspension geometries we can use, but is seems if the bigger teams have continue to use parts that we have been advised are not to be used.

The Penske 3rd spring was just one small piece to the puzzle.

garyshell
3rd September 2010, 17:00
EagleEye

What occured in Chicago though?

Gary

TURN3
3rd September 2010, 18:05

Well, looking at the results I think if that is true then it is pretty obvious who those 6 cars were. Dario, Marco, Dixon, Danica, Will, and Helio. We all know there is a reason these 3 teams typically have an advantage on people. It ultimately comes down to budget but cheating is cheating. If they can get away with it without getting caught, then so be it. Pushing the limits has been a part of racing since day 1. On the otherhand, once caught...you're busted! Penalties should be in order...plain and simple. I don't care who you are.

Lousada
3rd September 2010, 18:26
He said 6 cars from the top 10. Danica, Power, Briscoe didn't finish in the top10 last week. Although the remaining 2 Ganassis 1 Penske and 3 Andrettis would make six cars.
There was a thread on TF last month where somebody explained with pictures how Penske cheats. It got deleted very quick though, maybe some other members here saw it?

TURN3
3rd September 2010, 19:17
He said 6 cars from the top 10. Danica, Power, Briscoe didn't finish in the top10 last week. Although the remaining 2 Ganassis 1 Penske and 3 Andrettis would make six cars.
There was a thread on TF last month where somebody explained with pictures how Penske cheats. It got deleted very quick though, maybe some other members here saw it?

I was referring to where he said the top 10 AT INDY...in addition to this report about Chicago. Of the top 10 at Indy, those would be the 6.

anthonyvop
3rd September 2010, 20:25
I expect the same result as the one after the blatant cheating at Homestead last year.

EagleEye
3rd September 2010, 21:01
EagleEye

What occured in Chicago though?

Gary

A bit too involved here.

Dr. Krogshöj
3rd September 2010, 21:02
This thread indicates to me that there's a lot of foul play going on below the surface. I don't understand why the IRL keeps sweeping it under the rug. It's a complete waste of free press. Sure, some will say controversies, scandals and accusations of cheating are bad publicity, but they don't seem to be hurting F1 or NASCAR, do they?

Jag_Warrior
3rd September 2010, 21:52
This thread indicates to me that there's a lot of foul play going on below the surface. I don't understand why the IRL keeps sweeping it under the rug. It's a complete waste of free press. Sure, some will say controversies, scandals and accusations of cheating are bad publicity, but they don't seem to be hurting F1 or NASCAR, do they?

But in NASCAR and F1 the prizes are so big and so many want those prizes. The IRL needs to attract manufacturers, teams and sponsors. If there is some indication that there's cheating and favoritism (and by EagleEye's post, that appears to be the case), I don't think that will encourage new manufacturers, teams or sponsors to get involved.

I agree with you that some controversy is good. It spices up the show, right? But when it gets into favoritism and then fans begin to think they're watching rigged races (fixed results), that's something that most sports bodies work to stamp out. Speaking of which, word is the boys & girls at Ferrari are shopping for some Kevlar underwear before the WMSC meeting.

This is disappointing to hear. But it does partially explain why we only see certain teams at the top of the results most of the time in what's supposed to be a spec series: there is apparently favoritism when it comes to rules enforcement.

Otto-Matic
3rd September 2010, 21:54

I agree. If a car is not in spec than it shoul dbe disqualified, plain and simple. Doesnt matter if it's Helio, Dixon, Danica, or Duno. Penske or Conquest. Cheating is cheating and it should be black and white.

Lousada
3rd September 2010, 22:34
I was referring to where he said the top 10 AT INDY...in addition to this report about Chicago. Of the top 10 at Indy, those would be the 6.

Ah yes, completely misread that sorry.

jackmart
3rd September 2010, 23:56
What the point of inspections if nothing is being done? What is this about Penske cheating but was removed?

harvick#1
4th September 2010, 06:11
I expect the same result as the one after the blatant cheating at Homestead last year.

oh that was a joke of a race, to even think there was nothing wrong with that picture was just absurd

Mark in Oshawa
4th September 2010, 06:35
If the IRL wants to be taken seriously, do they really think allowing cars that fail tech to keep their points, prize money and not say anything is really helping? If I am at VW or Nissan or whomever Randy is courting to supply engines; do I really want to join a series where tech inspection means giving the wink to people?

The fact is, I hope Cotman will crack the whip this next season. I think part of the problem is BB has no credability with the teams or the fans, and it is because of crap like this. Once you allow it once, you cannot crack the whip again.

Cotman needs to come in, and put people on notice that he will enforce the rules. PERIOD.

Jag_Warrior
6th September 2010, 18:15
Cotman needs to come in, and put people on notice that he will enforce the rules. PERIOD.

But isn't that part of the problem? I mean, that isn't Cotman's function: to enforce the rules. He can help write rules, but Barnhart will still be the one enforcing (or not enforcing) those rules. Sad, isn't it?

And yes, I do think this will affect the decision of whichever companies Bernard is talking to. In fact, I see Bernard's trip as more of a European vacation than anything else - especially since NASCAR/Grand Am is courting some of the same people. The initial IRL manufacturers' roundtable took place about two years ago, is that right? And in all that time, they've managed to sign up... Honda. I keep hearing rumors that this OEM and that OEM is chomping at the bit to get in. OK, so where are the announcements? I've been hearing the same rumors for over a year now. And other than Honda, it looks like goose eggs so far. Some of the rumors don't even make any sense, like Renault (unless they mean Nissan). So here we are, about a month and change from when the fiscal year ends for most automotive OEM's, and the IRL is only now making this last ditch attempt at getting one or more of them to budget for an engine racing program, that would HAVE to hit the drawing board in the next few weeks or months in order to be ready for 2012? Yet we hear that there are still no hard and fast rules in place for this new engine formula. That one linked article claimed that this was an advantage that the IRL had, as it would allow new players to influence the new rules. That's fine, but I don't see any practical way for a company to help the IRL write engine rules (that would also be acceptable to Honda) and get that engine in place for 2012. What motivation is there to jump through hoops to do that? Why not just wait to see how many teams (and sponsors) even answer the bell once the new formula is introduced?

Based on what I've seen so far, I have more faith that Grand Am will have its turbo engine formula supported by multiple manufacturers in 2012 than I do that the IRL will have the same by the 2012 season.

anthonyvop
7th September 2010, 05:48
oh that was a joke of a race, to even think there was nothing wrong with that picture was just absurd

And yet nothing was done or even mentioned by the powers that be.