PDA

View Full Version : Senna Movie trailer release..

Zico
1st September 2010, 11:20
Saw this on another forum, the movie has been rumoured for sometime, and here is the alleged trailer for it. Looks more like a documentary to me though.. and why in Japanese?

(commentary mainly in Japanese) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY2Jr_7Ngyk

"The movie is set for release some time in 2010 (so quite soon) ...... it is said it will include unseen footage of the racing driver who many feel is the greatest of all time. It will chronicle the three-time Formula 1 champion's career from his start in Grand Prix racing with the Toleman team in 1984 at his home race in Brazil, through his death while leading the San Marino Grand Prix at the Imola circuit in Italy in 1994.
British filmmaker Asif Kapadia is directing the project. His credits include The Warrior, which won the British Academy of Film and Television Arts award for Best British Film in 2001.
The movie is said to be set for a worldwide theatrical release with distribution by Universal Pictures.

IMDB movie review .... Plot Summary for "Senna" (2010)
Quote:
The story of the monumental life and tragic death of legendary Brazilian motor-racing Champion, Ayrton Senna. Spanning the decade from his arrival in Formula One in the mid 80's, the film follows Senna's struggles both on track against his nemesis, French World Champion Alain Prost, and off it, against the politics which infest the sport. Sublime, spiritual yet, on occasion, ruthless - Senna conquers and transcends Formula One to become a global superstar. Privately, he is humble, almost shy, and fiercely patriotic, donating millions to his native Brasil and contemplating a life beyond motor-racing. Yet he is struck down in his prime on the blackest weekend in the history of the sport, watched live on television by 300 million people. Years on he is revered in Formula One as the greatest motor racing driver of all time - and in Brasil as a Saint."

Edit. Meant to ask if anyone has more detailed release info on the movie, and who is planning / chomping at the bit to watch it.

SGWilko
1st September 2010, 11:37
the politics which infest the sport.

Some things will never change!

Saint Devote
1st September 2010, 12:04
Sounds like one of those Senna devotional puff pieces that after reading them makes one wonder exactly who the driver was they are portraying - as well as being disgusted with the author - for those like me who well remember the period and watched him race both at grands prix and televised GP's.

The movie sounds like a load of bollocks!

Why Japanese? They loved him as much as the Brazilians did. If it is up to the usual Japanese movie standard then it really will be some sort of immature worship movie.

DexDexter
1st September 2010, 12:26
It's not necessarily a Japanese movie, the trailer was just Japanese. Could be a good movie, many people on this forum don't remember Senna that well.

SGWilko
1st September 2010, 13:13
Sounds like one of those Senna devotional puff pieces that after reading them makes one wonder exactly who the driver was they are portraying - as well as being disgusted with the author - for those like me who well remember the period and watched him race both at grands prix and televised GP's.

Why Japanese? They loved him as much as the Brazilians did. If it is up to the usual Japanese movie standard then it really will be some sort of immature worship movie.

Oh please. It's a British made film, made with not only the blessing but the assistance of the Senna Estate.

This is a clip clearly from a Japanese site.

The film will take the form of a 'document of Senna's life' and lets actual footage and commentary tell his story.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/senna-movie-treat-in-store-for-f1-fans-this-autumn/

Dave B
1st September 2010, 13:31
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll track down the director and offer him one of your infamous sandwiches :dozey:

wedge
1st September 2010, 14:19
If it is up to the usual Japanese movie standard then it really will be some sort of immature worship movie.

Remind you of anyone?

wedge
1st September 2010, 14:24
I'm guessing this will get a limited release in the UK. Can't remember the last time I was so desperate to go to the cinema.

Saint Devote
2nd September 2010, 00:53
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll track down the director and offer him one of your infamous sandwiches :dozey:

You mean the same sort that Senna used to offer people at various times including the time he comitted the cardinal sin of punching marshals - two of them - in Barcelona?

Saint Devote
2nd September 2010, 01:05
Well I remember Senna and the period extremely well.

Senna was an emotionally immature spoiled brat, including being a religious hypocrite.

He was one of the quickest drivers but aside from his pole positions his percentage numbers are not remarkable when compared to the others.

Sure there is lots of emotion over him because he died!

I hope the movie IS as objective as possible and they include something that is ALWAYS ommitted when Monte Carlo 1984 is spoken about - that Prost was having clutch problems and Stefan Bellof [today is the anniversary of his death at Spa] in a Tyrrell was even quicker than the Brazilian and the German driver was catching him.

And all those who clamour how wonderful this Brazilian was and get teary eyed over Senna - I expect them to apologize for criticizing Schumi for his Hungary move on Barrichello. One cannot support Senna and point a finger at the German driver.

Saint Devote
2nd September 2010, 12:15
I just want to apologize to Senna fans. I think my remarks were way out of line - it is history after all and an appreciation of his achievements rather than any of his foibles are appropriate.

Great men do tend to have great faults.

F1boat
2nd September 2010, 12:37
The movie seems very interesting, but I hope that they don't portray Alain as a villain. In reality both drivers are great heroes of the sport.

SGWilko
2nd September 2010, 12:58
I just want to apologize to Senna fans. I think my remarks were way out of line - it is history after all and an appreciation of his achievements rather than any of his foibles are appropriate.

Have you seen the light?

Or is the bulb blown......

Mark
2nd September 2010, 13:11

I'm not sure that's true. Senna was revered by a great many well before his untimely death. But yes, any film which hopes to portray the true man and racer must deal with his faults as well as his skills and achievements.

Jag_Warrior
2nd September 2010, 19:49
Have you seen the light?

I basically just skip over his diatribes these days. It's not worth the time. He even goes off on a rant about this being a Japanese movie. :rolleyes: So even the most basic facts escape him much of the time. But at least he didn't find a way to bring up Hitler or the Nazis. So maybe he's getting better? Er, nah! :D

I'm very much looking forward to seeing this film. For those who are able to write reviews PRIOR to seeing it, no need for you to waste your money buying a ticket at the theater, me thinks. :dozey:

BTW, thanks for the heads-up, Zico. I'll probably have to wait for it to hit DVD though. I doubt there'll be a theater near me that will show it.

Saint Devote
3rd September 2010, 01:28
Have you seen the light?

No. Just as I said it was better to focus on his achievements.

I remember those days VERY well expecially Monaco and Imola 1988 as well as the Suzuka events that followed.

And I recall how heated fans became at the time. My view of Senna as I stated remains the same - but it is just inapproapriate because those like myself who were on Prosts side made peace with the issue a long time ago.

And those who were not around motor racing in those days cannot imagine the antagonism and anger that used to transfer to fans on the issue.

If there were message boards in those days I think the servers would have just imploded.

I am sure those here who recall those days will agree. We have seen nothing in racing like it since and I reckon we never will again.

Saint Devote
3rd September 2010, 01:34
I'm not sure that's true. Senna was revered by a great many well before his untimely death. But yes, any film which hopes to portray the true man and racer must deal with his faults as well as his skills and achievements.

The intention of my particular remark was to convey that in such situations, there is a tendency to romaticize and remember a Senna that did not exist.

Therefore I do agree with your above message.

If they portray who he was then if the faults are not included then it will be just another self-serving puff piece. And it is something that is really not needed.

Saint Devote
3rd September 2010, 01:36
The movie seems very interesting, but I hope that they don't portray Alain as a villain.

Indeed. It would undermine any shred of credibility.

Saint Devote
3rd September 2010, 01:40
I basically just skip over his diatribes these days. It's not worth the time. He even goes off on a rant about this being a Japanese movie. :rolleyes: So even the most basic facts escape him much of the time. But at least he didn't find a way to bring up Hitler or the Nazis. So maybe he's getting better? Er, nah! :D

I suggest you stop the personal attacks on me.

This sort of post is disgraceful behavior and is totally against the rules of this message board. And you may just attract the attention of a diligent monitor.

By all means disagree with and debate or argue with me - but do not attack me personally. Okay?

Ari
3rd September 2010, 05:10
It's not necessarily a Japanese movie, the trailer was just Japanese. Could be a good movie, many people on this forum don't remember Senna that well.

Some, not all.

I remember watching the race that night.... and not knowing Sennas fate till morning. At the time, as a kid, I had a clock radio for an alarm to get me up for school. Ahh, high school! I remember the radio switching on at 7am sharp and the first words muttered out of the radio were "the death of a racing legend". I had chills and I still do to this day everytime I think about that moment.

Did not go to school that day.

F1boat
3rd September 2010, 08:25

This sort of post is disgraceful behavior and is totally against the rules of this message board. And you may just attract the attention of a diligent monitor.

By all means disagree with and debate or argue with me - but do not attack me personally. Okay?

However your post about Japanese were very insulting too, St. Devote. Japan is a great country with great culture and amazing movies - the Kurosawa movies, the animes, the classic monster movies etc.

DexDexter
3rd September 2010, 09:32
The movie seems very interesting, but I hope that they don't portray Alain as a villain. In reality both drivers are great heroes of the sport.

True, Alain was the saner of the two.

SGWilko
3rd September 2010, 09:48
True, Alain was the saner of the two.

Interesting you say that.

There is evidence that Senna was mellowing. From reading Sid Watkind Bio, it appears Senna was becoming heavily involved, or at least interested, in the safety aspect of F1. It also comes across that he was deeply affected by the accident Rubens had, and the death of Roland.

Alain has hinted that they had become friends again.

Of course, what would have been is all just supposition.......

Jag_Warrior
3rd September 2010, 20:18

Senna was an emotionally immature spoiled brat, including being a religious hypocrite.

Good for you.^

Given that you apologized for the preceding diatribes, I stand by what I said 100%. I will be more than happy to ask Pino if he considers what I said to be a "personal attack", as I don't believe that it was. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you. I do tend to skip over your posts for the factual reasons that I listed. I've been here for quite awhile. And anyone who has been insulted and attacked by me KNOWS that they have been insulted and attacked. I don't pull any punches when I go that route (which I don't do on this particular forum). Now... you may not like what I said, but my statements were completely true. Why would you apologize for what you said if they were not?

And with that, I am done with you. I will not take a perfectly good thread about Senna off topic by arguing with you. Contact me by PM if you have some desire to continue this. But I will not respond to you any more in this thread.

Good day. :)

Zico
3rd September 2010, 22:33
BTW, thanks for the heads-up, Zico. I'll probably have to wait for it to hit DVD though. I doubt there'll be a theater near me that will show it.

No need to thank me but cheers anyway, IF they do show this at a cinema near me I'll definately be going to see it.. and might take my 10 year old son along with me too if he is interested enough.

I fully understand why some might hold Saint Devotes views but Ayrtons immense ability behind the wheel, his caliber as a driver, somehow makes me want to forgive his flaws.

wedge
6th September 2010, 15:18
uIxybUIaX4M

NB. Calvin Fish now commentates for SpeedTV

BTCC2
4th November 2010, 16:30
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/senna-premiere-a-hit-in-sao-paulo/

Released in the UK next week! :o Anybody know when exactly? So little info has been released about this film it's crazy.

BTCC2
4th November 2010, 16:32
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/11/senna-premiere-a-hit-in-sao-paulo/

Released in the UK next week! :o Anybody know when exactly? So little info has been released about this film it's crazy.

Having re-read it comes out in Brazil next week and Europe next year.

THE_LIBERATOR
4th November 2010, 23:00
those like myself who were on Prosts side Says it all really.

It seems selective memory can swing both ways.

HoldenCaulfield
29th December 2010, 03:32
Well I remember Senna and the period extremely well.

He was one of the quickest drivers but aside from his pole positions his percentage numbers are not remarkable when compared to the others.

I hope the movie IS as objective as possible and they include something that is ALWAYS ommitted when Monte Carlo 1984 is spoken about - that Prost was having clutch problems and Stefan Bellof [today is the anniversary of his death at Spa] in a Tyrrell was even quicker than the Brazilian and the German driver was catching him.

And all those who clamour how wonderful this Brazilian was and get teary eyed over Senna - I expect them to apologize for criticizing Schumi for his Hungary move on Barrichello. One cannot support Senna and point a finger at the German driver.

Every motorsport film dedicated to one driver is by definition a devotional puff piece, almost every driver bio I ever watched on VHS in the 80's and 90's was laughable in the extreme, Senna’s and Mansell’s being the worst offenders.
To think that F1 in the 80's and 90's would have been as rich and dramatic without him would be delusional, to some he was a hero and to others a heel but either way he polarized the viewer, and enhanced the drama.
If you are baffled by the enduring interest in him then I can't help you with that, I don't think it’s because he was flawless or a genius, rather because he was complex and intense which makes him an appealing character to students of the human condition.
I never liked Schumacher but whether I like it or not he defined an era of F1 and the sport would have been poorer without him.( I don't take his very existence as a personal insult to me) And so it is with Senna.
I would recommend you learn to deal with that in a mature way. But then what am i saying? That's not what the internet is for is it?

DexDexter
29th December 2010, 09:11
Every motorsport film dedicated to one driver is by definition a devotional puff piece, almost every driver bio I ever watched on VHS in the 80's and 90's was laughable in the extreme, Senna’s and Mansell’s being the worst offenders.
To think that F1 in the 80's and 90's would have been as rich and dramatic without him would be delusional, to some he was a hero and to others a heel but either way he polarized the viewer, and enhanced the drama.
If you are baffled by the enduring interest in him then I can't help you with that, I don't think it’s because he was flawless or a genius, rather because he was complex and intense which makes him an appealing character to students of the human condition.
I never liked Schumacher but whether I like it or not he defined an era of F1 and the sport would have been poorer without him.( I don't take his very existence as a personal insult to me) And so it is with Senna.
I would recommend you learn to deal with that in a mature way. But then what am i saying? That's not what the internet is for is it?

The poster you're answering to was last seen here in September so....

AAReagles
6th January 2011, 08:21
The poster you're answering to was last seen here in September so....

So you're saying it was a 'retro-response'?
I'll have to add that to Wordspy. com.

fandango
6th January 2011, 10:42
Well, I can't wait to see the film, if only for nostalgia.

Senna wasn't my favourite driver, spectacular as he was. But nor was Prost. I spent a lot of the rest of the eighties still missing Villeneuve, and I prefered the personality of Piquet, Mansell or Arnoux to Prost and Senna. And I do think that a lot of the agressive things done by drivers since Senna have their root in his win-at-all-costs style. So sad how he died, I hope the film is entertaining.

wedge
31st January 2011, 15:28
HrbJPsPtTyU

Noticed - though it may have passed me - Kevin Macdonald (acclaimed documentary maker) is an executive producer and it got good reviews at the prestigious Sundance Film Festival and even won an award. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89143

billiaml
31st January 2011, 15:48
Cool that it won at the Sundance Film Festival! I may have to put a trip to Sundance on my Bucket List.

Tazio
31st January 2011, 21:10
This movie will go 'tits up"! Yes as a member that hails from Bolton says: "The U.S. doesn't, and never will get F1". So if James Allen says that it " went down a storm" at the Sundance Film festival it has got to suck, because how in the world could anybody in Utah, or L.A. have a clue?

The movie about Ayrton Senna, which we have chronicled extensively on this site, has had a very positive reception at the celebrated Sundance Film Festival in America.

The film is shortlisted for best world documentary and is in a very competitive field, but it has been glowingly reviewed by the LA Times critic, who attended the Sundance screening.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/01/senna-movie-goes-down-a-storm-at-sundance-festival/

THE_LIBERATOR
1st February 2011, 22:27
So without seeing the documentary you are passing judgement on whether a broader audience than just F1 fans could enjoy it? If it is presented in a compelling way there is no reason why anyone can't enjoy it without having even heard of F1.

People watch documentaries all the time on subjects they have no knowledge of & still enjoy them. That's why documentary film-making exists, to educate. & If it's at a film festival, in a documentary section it's there to be judged against...other documentaries. Ain't no reason it shouldn't go down a storm.