PDA

View Full Version : More Terrorist Cover Ups (Northern Ireland)

Camelopard
25th August 2010, 04:15
News filtering in about this Roman Catholic priest who apparently was involved in terrorist bombings. How much more is out there?

It seems that the higher ups in the Roman Catholic church were made aware of his role as a leader of an IRA unit, but did next to nothing when informed of such.

http://www.irishcentral.com/story/news/periscope/church-police-covered-up--priests-role-in--ira-gang-that--killed-nine-in-1972-bombing-101351599.html

The Catholic Church in Northern Ireland (http://www.irishcentral.com/topics?topic=Northern+Ireland) has admitted that a priest was the leader of an IRA (http://www.irishcentral.com/topics?topic=Irish+Republican+Army) unit that exploded a bomb in 1972 that killed nine people, five Catholics and four Protestants including an eight -year-old girl. Thirty people were injured.

Police ombudsman (overseer) Al Hutchinson has verified that the Royal Ulster Constabulary (http://www.irishcentral.com/topics?topic=Royal+Ulster+Constabulary) the British government and the Catholic Church covered up for the priest, Father James Chesney (http://www.irishcentral.com/topics?topic=James+Chesney) (left) who was never charged and moved to a new parish.

Hutchinson revealed that the RUC at the time had top-grade intelligence that Chesney was a senior figure in the IRA unit that planted three car bombs in the County Derry (http://www.irishcentral.com/topics?topic=County+Derry) village of Claudy in 1972.

"Conway was apparently worried that news of of Father Chesney’s involvement would allowed loyalist paramilitaries to declare all Catholic priests “legitimate targets”.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2010/08/25/2992749.htm

Being a good friend of terrorists, vopie should enjoy this one........

Mark
25th August 2010, 08:26
I can see why they kept it quiet. After all it's not something anyone other than the security services needed to know about.

However, 'moving to another parish', lets hope the parish was inside jail perhaps?

Lets not forget that at least in the early days of the troubles one of the main tasks of the British security forces was to protect the Catholic population from 'loyalist' attacks, despite the perception (and perhaps later the reality) of them being there for the opposite reason.

Camelopard
25th August 2010, 12:25
Who added the (Northern Ireland) bit to the thread title?

Surely there should be some sort of disclaimer when things like this are done?

Mark
25th August 2010, 13:06
Who added the (Northern Ireland) bit to the thread title?
?

I did, as that's what the thread is about.

Camelopard
26th August 2010, 01:47
Hmmmm, all the posters on here who usually have sooo much to say about other terrorists have remained suprisingly (not) quiet on this.

I wonder how much of the money that was raised by irish/americans in the north east went to funding this blokes bombing campaign to kill innocent women and children?

Is it true they still have collection boxes in irish bars in Boston asking drinkers to donate to 'the cause'?

anthonyvop
26th August 2010, 03:30
Hmmmm, all the posters on here who usually have sooo much to say about other terrorists have remained suprisingly (not) quiet on this.

What do you want to us to say? He is scum and shame on a church that is famous for shameful acts.

I just find it is funny that those who chastise us who want strong tactics against terrorism are now quick to criticize.

Mark in Oshawa
26th August 2010, 07:33
Interesting thread Camel. I am hoping he is in jail. I think most of the Americans who post here would feel the same way.

The IRA may have at some level have some validity in the sense that Ulster was kept from the South and yet there is a sizable Catholic population that was mistreated that would want to join the south BUT; there is no justification for terrorism. Eki is trying to tell me the Bin Laden crowd was justified in some manner for 9/11...but that is weak too. We all know the issues..but nothing justify's this in a modern society.

For a man of the cloth to be doing so? Well just another instance of the Catholic Church covering for one of their own.....

Camelopard
26th August 2010, 08:07
Interesting thread Camel. I am hoping he is in jail. I think most of the Americans who post here would feel the same way.

The IRA may have at some level have some validity in the sense that Ulster was kept from the South and yet there is a sizable Catholic population that was mistreated that would want to join the south BUT; there is no justification for terrorism. Eki is trying to tell me the Bin Laden crowd was justified in some manner for 9/11...but that is weak too. We all know the issues..but nothing justify's this in a modern society.

For a man of the cloth to be doing so? Well just another instance of the Catholic Church covering for one of their own.....

He is dead, died in 1980 aged in his forties and he never faced a police interview.

Why does it not suprise me that this was covered up by the church, given the fact that they are still covering up for paedophile priests..........

Mark in Oshawa
26th August 2010, 08:27
He is dead, died in 1980 aged in his forties and he never faced a police interview.

Why does it not surprise me that this was covered up by the church, given the fact that they are still covering up for pedophile priests..........

It shouldn't really surprise you but I think they covered for a lot more priests as molesters than they ever did IRA supporters.

Terrorism in modern democracies is just plain evil. PERIOD. I think in the future, if the Church is shown to have hid someone, maybe asking a Bishop or two to be come down to explain why they are not up on charges of aiding and abetting a felony might get their attention. This hand's off attitude with religion only is justified if people in the Church who claim to follow and love God do what is right and turn these b@stards over for trial...

Mark
26th August 2010, 09:38
The IRA may have at some level have some validity in the sense that Ulster was kept from the South and yet there is a sizable Catholic population that was mistreated that would want to join the south BUT; there is no justification for terrorism. ....

But the problem in Northern Ireland is there is a significant population there who want (or wanted) nothing to do with Dublin, and they tend to live side by side with those two do. So by either making it part of the UK or part of Ireland you're going to uspet a lot of the population!

The best solution IMO, is the one they are working towards now, which is it being almost independent from both states.

Dave B
26th August 2010, 09:43
So presumably the next time the Catholic Church wants to build near a terrorist site, we'll see opposition similar to the New York "Ground Zero Mosque" protests. Just so that people aren't being hypocritical, you understand...

Camelopard
26th August 2010, 11:34
So presumably the next time the Catholic Church wants to build near a terrorist site, we'll see opposition similar to the New York "Ground Zero Mosque" protests. Just so that people aren't being hypocritical, you understand...

Comments like that will go straight over the heads of most of the posters on this forum............................... unfortunately!

Brown, Jon Brow
26th August 2010, 12:09

No. 9/11 was the only terrorist attack ever, stupid!

anthonyvop
26th August 2010, 13:55

I would be against a Catholic Church being built in a area close to a site that this A-hole attacked.

Captain VXR
27th August 2010, 17:24
Did the Priest forget one of the Ten Commandments?
You shall not murder

Dave B
27th August 2010, 18:33
There's probably some small print in the bible about not buggering kids, but that doesn't seem to stop some priests.

Captain VXR
28th August 2010, 21:54
There's probably some small print in the bible about not buggering kids, but that doesn't seem to stop some priests.

Probably because they were already pedophiles who wanted a job where they could hurt children and never being suspected of it