PDA

View Full Version : The Quality of the Spa-meister

Saint Devote
22nd August 2010, 16:28
As we approach the Belgian Grand Prix I cannot but think of Raikkonnen for he will be absent next weekend.

It is a disgrace, and indictment of the sport and says much of f1 today that a driver such as him is not on the grid.

In my view he is the quintessential grand prix driver, the ideal in attitude and belongs as he himself declared, in another era - the 60's or the 70's.

He is the driver with the strongest self-esteem in motor racing - not in need of a kind, sympathetic or emotional team - just give me car and I will race - and to me is a combination of Rindt, Peterson and Lauda.

He would not have agreed to Hockenheim, would not have complained at Silverstone and would have said nothing - perhaps shrugged - if he had been the object of Schumi's attention at Hungaroring.

He would have merely fought, done his best and gone home afterwards.

Kimi in a RB6 would be phenomenal at Spa and would win for the FIFTH time.

He is not suited to the touchy-feely nonsense that eminates these days from too many drivers. How do you "feel" is not a question that the Ice Man would answer from some New Agey type "journalist" - there are too many today of them as well as it appears the overwhelming people who call themselves "fans".

Just look at the screaming amd emotional outbursts that happened after the incidents above.

No matter WHO wins next Sunday, he will not have beaten Kimi Raikonnen at Spa and that is not a complete victory.

A pox on the FIA and the politics of f1 :vader:

Dave B
22nd August 2010, 18:17
Now that Kimi himself has said it's unlikely he'll return to F1, surely this belongs in History & Nostalgia.

Saint Devote
22nd August 2010, 18:28
Now that Kimi himself has said it's unlikely he'll return to F1, surely this belongs in History & Nostalgia.

OMG - it may be the wrong category :eek:

If I have erred then the moderators will change the category - to me with Spa coming up and a retun to f1 not entirely ruled out, it does not belong in history and nostalgia.

Other than this and more importantly you have absolutely no thought on Kimi?

Tch, tch!

Robinho
22nd August 2010, 19:18
so i gather from the above "screaming and emotional outbursts" are not to be tolerated in the modern day F1? or is that ok when explaining the emotions (maybe even, god forbid, "feelings") behind being a Ferrari fan that allow you to justify defending any actions the team may make?

on the Kimi and spa thing, i was a big fan of his driving and i miss his approach to the sport, but i do not necessarily think that against the background of some of the strongest competition in F1, even in a Red Bull he would necessarily win. He would certainly be in the hunt though.

However he has gone, and it doesn't look like he'll be back, and i also think his mentality and approach fit WRC better than F1, in anything i've seen recently he seems thouroughly relaxed and enjoying his sport. if your not enjoying your sport you are never going to perform at your best, so good luck to him

Saint Devote
22nd August 2010, 21:28
so i gather from the above "screaming and emotional outbursts" are not to be tolerated in the modern day F1? or is that ok when explaining the emotions (maybe even, god forbid, "feelings") behind being a Ferrari fan that allow you to justify defending any actions the team may make?

on the Kimi and spa thing, i was a big fan of his driving and i miss his approach to the sport, but i do not necessarily think that against the background of some of the strongest competition in F1, even in a Red Bull he would necessarily win. He would certainly be in the hunt though.

However he has gone, and it doesn't look like he'll be back, and i also think his mentality and approach fit WRC better than F1, in anything i've seen recently he seems thouroughly relaxed and enjoying his sport. if your not enjoying your sport you are never going to perform at your best, so good luck to him

Tolerated is too severe a word - pandering to, as to all types of prima donna behaviour, should be avoided. Unfortunately given the narcistic attitudes these days with Facebook and My Space, as well as so-called "reality tv" - these are egotistical times where the lack of self-esteem and the emotionalistic [different from emotions] is considered virtuous.

He MAY not have won, true - but my primary intention was to point out that him not being in the hunt - as you say - is an indictment of f1.

Would we rather have the mobile chicanes of the slow teams or a rule that can eliminate a useless competitor for someone like a third car with Kimi driving an RB6?

Mia 01
22nd August 2010, 22:08
As we approach the Belgian Grand Prix I cannot but think of Raikkonnen for he will be absent next weekend.

It is a disgrace, and indictment of the sport and says much of f1 today that a driver such as him is not on the grid.

In my view he is the quintessential grand prix driver, the ideal in attitude and belongs as he himself declared, in another era - the 60's or the 70's.

He is the driver with the strongest self-esteem in motor racing - not in need of a kind, sympathetic or emotional team - just give me car and I will race - and to me is a combination of Rindt, Peterson and Lauda.

He would not have agreed to Hockenheim, would not have complained at Silverstone and would have said nothing - perhaps shrugged - if he had been the object of Schumi's attention at Hungaroring.

He would have merely fought, done his best and gone home afterwards.

Kimi in a RB6 would be phenomenal at Spa and would win for the FIFTH time.

He is not suited to the touchy-feely nonsense that eminates these days from too many drivers. How do you "feel" is not a question that the Ice Man would answer from some New Agey type "journalist" - there are too many today of them as well as it appears the overwhelming people who call themselves "fans".

Just look at the screaming amd emotional outbursts that happened after the incidents above.

No matter WHO wins next Sunday, he will not have beaten Kimi Raikonnen at Spa and that is not a complete victory.

A pox on the FIA and the politics of f1 :vader:

Agreed!!

But, I wont rule out a comeback for Kimi just yet.
He is a young man with a strong will, but something or someone can change his mind.

And then, then there is the Robertsons!

D-Type
22nd August 2010, 22:46
Let's face it. Kimi has won the World Championship. What is there for him to come back for?

Saint Devote
23rd August 2010, 01:57
Let's face it. Kimi has won the World Championship. What is there for him to come back for?

You make a valid point - after winning the WDC a driver has to have a new challenge to remain motivated or just enjoy f1 - Kimi decided he had neither.

Sonic
24th August 2010, 19:03

Fact. Kimi is/was top draw, but like Jody before him the one title was enough. He simply isn't interested in "bigger numbers" and I doubt he'll ever race again in F1.

Mark
24th August 2010, 19:15
He could come back to win it properly instead of inheriting it after Hamilton screwed up royally!

pallone col bracciale
25th August 2010, 14:32
Request for the moderator!

Should not this thread by titled "Spa-Maître"?

It is important for some forum members to name correctly, I understand.

Spa is not quite in Deutschland. It is a 30 minute drive from Eau Rouge to the land where people say "meister" .

If referring to Mr Raikkonen individually, the title should read "Spa-isäntä", I think?

If wrong, Scusi, my Finnish is not good, and neither is google translations!

pallone col bracciale
25th August 2010, 14:34
He could come back to win it properly instead of inheriting it after Hamilton screwed up royally!

Kimi could not inherit anything that year. He was in the barrier after Blanchimont.

SGWilko
25th August 2010, 15:23
Kimi could not inherit anything that year. He was in the barrier after Blanchimont.

I think Mark was pertaining to the WDC Title, as opposed to an individual race.

I may be wrong, as I usually am......

pallone col bracciale
25th August 2010, 15:31
I think Mark was pertaining to the WDC Title, as opposed to an individual race.

I may be wrong, as I usually am......

I think you may be correct about this one. Scusi.

Mark
25th August 2010, 17:28
Yes I meant that the championship was Hamilton's and Kimi only won because McLaren and Hamilton messed up in rather than Kimi defeating him on pace.

pallone col bracciale
25th August 2010, 21:13
Yes I meant that the championship was Hamilton's and Kimi only won because McLaren and Hamilton messed up in rather than Kimi defeating him on pace.

To be fair, Kimi won 6 races to Hamiltons 4.

woody2goody
25th August 2010, 22:46
Regardless of whether he's coming back or not, Kimi's possibly the best driver at Spa in F1 history.

He definitely comes close. 2004 springs to mind.

D28
26th August 2010, 17:34
Regardless of whether he's coming back or not, Kimi's possibly the best driver at Spa in F1 history.

He definitely comes close. 2004 springs to mind.

Offhand I don't know who has the record for victories, but Jim Clark certainly qualifies for consideration as Spa master. He won 4 in a row there, and this despite the fact he hated the place. His first F1 race there in 1960 resulted in a couple of terrible fatalities.

Saint Devote
27th August 2010, 02:40
Offhand I don't know who has the record for victories, but Jim Clark certainly qualifies for consideration as Spa master. He won 4 in a row there, and this despite the fact he hated the place. His first F1 race there in 1960 resulted in a couple of terrible fatalities.

Michael Schumacher has the record with SIX victories and Senna is second with FIVE.

The great pity is that both Clark and Senna were killed and would surely have increased this total - but the number is as it stands.

:D Although wouldn't it have been wonderful to have Clark and Senna retired and commentating today?

Saint Devote
27th August 2010, 02:44
The guy who scores the most points is always the deserved winner IMO. :)

NOT in 1987.
The driver may be deserving simply because he did it - but not deserve it.

Mintexmemory
27th September 2010, 15:06
Mastery of Spa before it was emasculted was a different matter in the 60s and early 70s.This thread shows again how mere statistics can never adequatley explain the essence of F1.
Ask anyone who was present, whether raining or dry, Pedro Rodriguez was untouchable in a car that would hold together. BRM or 917.

D28
27th September 2010, 16:19
Mastery of Spa before it was emasculted was a different matter in the 60s and early 70s.This thread shows again how mere statistics can never adequatley explain the essence of F1.
Ask anyone who was present, whether raining or dry, Pedro Rodriguez was untouchable in a car that would hold together. BRM or 917.

I agree absolutely. Doesn't Pedro hold some sort of record for the fastest race ave. ever at Spa? Someone can elaborate which type of car and when, it would have been on the old circuit.

jens
27th September 2010, 17:07

Okay then. No matter, who wins at Monaco, the victory is worthless, because Senna isn't there...

And by the way, this year we had another Spa-meister back instead of Räikkönen as Schumacher has collected as many as 6 wins from Spa. So in balance from that point of view we actually gained instead of losing. :p :