PDA

View Full Version : TOCA2 Round 4 Donington

tannat
16th August 2010, 17:42
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/untitled-5.jpg

Not quite the mid way point ( we have one make up round for Silverstone) but we are nearly there.

Track: Donington National Circuit

RACE1
Weather: Sunny
Number of laps:3
Qualify: Yes
Difficulty: Expert

RACE2
Weather: Rain
Number of laps:5
Qualify: No
Difficulty: Novice

CAR ASSIGNMENTS
Jan Yeo-Nissan
#1JTFan-Peugeot
AlfaFan-Renault
IronRooster-Vauxhall
Tannat-Volvo
JonBrown-Ford
Paddy-Honda

Please send qualifying time, fastest lap and total race time for each race by 12 pm midnight Hawaii time on August 22 by PM to tannat or [email:32bjsloh]james.knowles@stjude.org[/email:32bjsloh].

Screenshots and race descriptions invited

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/untitled2.jpg

tannat
16th August 2010, 17:43
Driver's Championship

1-#1JTFan--------------46 points (3 wins)
2-JonBrown-------------37 (2 wins)
3-Tannat-----------------34
4-Paddy52------------ --28
5-IronRooster-----------19
6-Mr Jan Yeo-------------7

Manufacturer's Championship

1-Ford-----------------31 points
2-Vauxhall------------28
3-Nissan---------------26
4-Audi-----------------20
5-Peugeot-------------18
6-Honda---------------17
7-Volvo---------------16
8-Renault--------------15

Alfa Fan
17th August 2010, 14:05
I *should* be able to make this one.

tannat
17th August 2010, 14:51
I *should* be able to make this one.

You picked a good one as you were assigned the Renault.. :p

Kidding, kidding, only kidding.

Really good to have you, Alfa Fan :up:

MrMetro
17th August 2010, 14:58
tannat, what round will make up for the cancelled second race at silverstone?

tannat
17th August 2010, 15:27
tannat, what round will make up for the cancelled second race at silverstone?

I think next week I'll post a one race thread for Sstone. We'll make up the 'lost' race...

Alfa Fan
17th August 2010, 18:46
Really good to have you, Alfa Fan :up:

Thanks! Entry confirmed :) You'll get my times later tonight!

Brown, Jon Brow
17th August 2010, 19:46
Arguably the greatest touring car race of all time took place here back in 1998. I remember watching this one live on BBC. I was only 9 at the time!
zXkWUCBoe4k

I'd just like to point out that there is a shortcut one can take at the last chicane that can shave over a second off your lap time. I'm assuming we are using the '2 wheels on the track at all times' rule?

tannat
17th August 2010, 19:51
I'd just like to point out that there is a shortcut one can take at the last chicane that can shave over a second off your lap time. I'm assuming we are using the '2 wheels on the track at all times' rule?\

Interesting you should point that out. Someone was bowled out for this in the chmpionship back in 2005.

Yes, please, two wheels on track at all times, or else :devil:

MrMetro
17th August 2010, 19:54
just finished my races. They were the worst races I have ever competed in.

race 1: started 16th, finished 16th. outclassed by the rest.

race 2: knocked several times, finished 14th.

Brown, Jon Brow
17th August 2010, 19:55
\

Interesting you should point that out. Someone was bowled out for this in the chmpionship back in 2005.

Yes, please, two wheels on track at all times, or else :devil:

Snetterton is the track with the big shortcuts ;)

Alfa Fan
17th August 2010, 20:33
Times submitted :)

tannat
17th August 2010, 20:43
just finished my races. They were the worst races I have ever competed in.

race 1: started 16th, finished 16th. outclassed by the rest.

race 2: knocked several times, finished 14th.

Donny is a tough track, IronRooster. I've not hit the track yet but I see it as another no downforce track, at least in the dry.

Old Hairpin and McLeans are car magnets-just the slightest bit too fast and you are off..

MrMetro
17th August 2010, 20:54
Donny is a tough track, IronRooster. I've not hit the track yet but I see it as another no downforce track, at least in the dry.

Old Hairpin and McLeans are car magnets-just the slightest bit too fast and you are off..

aye, I found that out, its where I spun, trying to control the car after realising I wasn't going to make the turn

tannat
18th August 2010, 15:23
Got in a handful of laps in the dry this AM. A good test :up:

tannat
21st August 2010, 11:05
JTFan-are you out there?

#1JamesThompsonFan
21st August 2010, 23:36
hello i am here i will get my times in tomorrow looking forward to it

MrJan
22nd August 2010, 21:39
Oh dear, that didn't go well. Race 1 was a nightmare. Got a decent qualifying time in and started from pole but got overtaken by a few, then spent some time stuck behind Alain Menu who was all over the place. When I eventually put a move on him and overtook Rydell for the lead I overegged the chicane and bounced across the kerbs, which like Rydell catch up and he turned me around. In the resulting struggle up the pack I was shoved off at the Old Hairpin on the second lap so decided to hang back and just put in a decent last lap in a bit of free air. Finished stone dead last :(

Second race wasn't much better, struggled in the wet and had too many moments to consider it a success.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd August 2010, 01:11
Race 1 went well. I got a decent qualifying time to take pole and led from start to finish. I was a little bit disappointed with my pace in the race. I don't think it was fast enough to take the win here.

Race 2 was tricky in the wet but I had a fairly clean run.

Maybe tannat could post the grid for race one based on qualifying times?

tannat
23rd August 2010, 12:02
No times yet from Paddy :(

A shame as that would make a 7 car field.

I'll honor your suggestion Jon and first post the starting grid, then the results in a separate post.

I'll try to get the results done in the next 7 hours.

MrJan
23rd August 2010, 12:24
The main problem I had in this race was dealing with other cars. I never get a decent start so would always get overtaken on the run into Redgate on the first race, then usually caught up in the melee. Race 2 is the same issue, if you try and overtake cars on the run to the first corner it's quite likely that you get caught up in someone elses accident. I find it best to brake early and try and get a good drive out the corner and overtake down the Craner Curves instead.

#1JamesThompsonFan
23rd August 2010, 15:09
i stickk to the outside of redgate on lap 1 and then you miss the melee and also drive passed most of them before the old hairpin

MrJan
23rd August 2010, 15:39
If I stick to the outside then I can guarantee that some numpty will lose it up the inside and skittle me into the gravel.

tannat
23rd August 2010, 16:14
I pulled a Schumacher-esque block to the left, then kept it tight around redgate :up:

tannat
23rd August 2010, 18:06
Jon Brown set the stage for the weekend under sunny skies at Donnington with a sub 1 minute qualifying lap (nice run, Jon :up: ). Over a second behind was Tannat in the Volvo with an improved Jan Yeo gridding third. Championship leader #1JTFan gridded 4th in the Peugout followed by new entrant, Afa Fan in the Renault and Iron Rooster in the Vauxhall.

1--Jon Brown----Ford------0:59.47
2--Tannat-------Volvo-----1:00.51
3--Jan Yeo------Nissan----1:00.66
4--#1JTFan-----Peugeot---1:02.16
5--Alfa Fan-----Renault----1:08.06
6--IronRooster--Vauxhall---1:13.13

#1JamesThompsonFan
23rd August 2010, 18:18
Kudos on those quali times! My best ever lap is a 1:01. at donny. How did you manage a sub 1:00.00 Jon.

Care to talk us round the lap?

MrJan
23rd August 2010, 18:30
I had a feeling that Jon (and possibly some others) would be sub 1-minute on this one. My lap could have been quicker through the middle section but I don't have the skills :D

tannat
23rd August 2010, 18:34
It was a tight finish for race 1 at Donny as the Volvo of Tannat nosed the wire ahead of Jon Brown's Ford by just over 6/10ths of a second, followed closely by the Peugeot of JTFan. IronRooster took an impressive fourth in the Vauxhall followed by series newcomer, AlfaFan in the Renault. A promising race for Mr Jan Yeo who took fastest lap (1:00.610 :up: ) but fell to last as the result of a spin at the chicane.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/DonnyRace1.jpg

MrMetro
23rd August 2010, 18:34
I thought my time would be much worse that that, so I'm not that disapointed with finish last in qualifying.

tannat
23rd August 2010, 18:36
I had a feeling that Jon (and possibly some others) would be sub 1-minute on this one. My lap could have been quicker through the middle section but I don't have the skills :D

Jan-I find your race fast lap more impressive than Jon Bowns Q lap, although it is quite good...

Are any of you flat through the old hairpin, or perhaps just lifting?

tannat
23rd August 2010, 18:42
It was a wet 5 laps for the TOCA2 circus in race two, and vindication for #1JTfan who took a comfortable win, just over five seconds ahead of the Volvo of Tannat, who like Jan Yeo in race 1 had chicane issues :mad:

Rounding out the podium was JonBrown in the Ford. With another impressive fast lap for race 2 (1:04.00) Jan Yeo took fourth in the Nissan, followed by AlfaFan in the Renault and IronRooster in the Vauxhall.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/DonnyRace2.jpg

MrMetro
23rd August 2010, 18:45
4th place, what a pleasent surprise! As I said in previous posts, I thought I had a bad race. Shows what I know :D

MrMetro
23rd August 2010, 18:46
I expected 6th in the second race though, that was pretty awful, well, I'm happy with the 1st race

tannat
23rd August 2010, 18:53
Please note Silverstone race 2 makeup details in a separate thread :D

tannat
23rd August 2010, 19:01
Driver's Championship

1-#1JTFan--------------62 points (3 wins)
2-Tannat----------------52 (1 win)
3-JonBrown--------------51(2 wins)
4-Paddy52------------ --28
5-IronRooster------------27
6-Mr Jan Yeo-------------15
7-Alfa Fan-----------------8

Manufacturer's Championship

1-Ford-----------------55 points
2-Vauxhall-------------36
3-Nissan---------------34
3-Peugeot-------------34
3-Volvo----------------34
6-Renault--------------23
7-Audi-----------------20
8-Honda---------------17

#1JamesThompsonFan
23rd August 2010, 19:10
Im shocked at race 2 after race 1. Kudos again on those lap times. I will admit Ithought I would be good at Donny, but it seems it was just mistakes and inconsistency? that kept me where I was.

Roll on Knockhill, after Silverstone. Cant wait to find out what I am driving!

tannat
23rd August 2010, 19:14
Im shocked at race 2 after race 1. Kudos again on those lap times. I will admit Ithought I would be good at Donny, but it seems it was just mistakes and inconsistency? that kept me where I was.

Roll on Knockhill, after Silverstone. Cant wait to find out what I am driving!

You did a fine job in the Peugeot :up:

Although I turned a few laps and discovered it didn't suffer too much here...

Car assignments coming-but don't forget the makeup round.

tannat
23rd August 2010, 19:16
Knockhill, August 30-September5

JanYeo-Peugeot
#1JTFan-Renault
AlfaFan-Vauxhall
IronRooster-Volvo
Tannat-Audi
JonBrown-Honda
Paddy-Nissan

MrJan
23rd August 2010, 19:34
Jan-I find your race fast lap more impressive than Jon Bowns Q lap, although it is quite good...

Are any of you flat through the old hairpin, or perhaps just lifting?

I'd already buggered up my race time so basically put in the equivilent of a qualifying lap. I was actually touching the brakes for OH but apex speed around 130mph (I think). I have no idea how that lap ended up so quick though....almost makes me wonder whether I read it right :confused:

My biggest issue is consistency. I can put in the odd flying lap but end up trying too hard and spinning or making mistakes, that's why my race times are so poor.

I'm happy with Race 2 though, I had quite a few little moments so being that close to the podium is a bit of a surprise :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd August 2010, 21:40
My time trial lap record around here is a 57second lap in the Nissan, but that includes a shortcut at the last chicane.

Description of my qualifying lap:

*Brake early for Redgate and get on the power hard soon. I stay in 6th.

*Flat through the Craners and a slight dab on the brakes for the Old Hairpin. It is possible to take Old Hairpin flat but it wasn't possible in the Ford.

*McLeans is the trickiest corner (Bumpity corner :laugh :) . I find if you get the car slowed early it is makes it easier.

*Coppice corner you only need to dab the brakes. It is faster than you think.

*I brake for the chicane at the Esses of the Melbourne loop.

52Paddy
24th August 2010, 20:09
Really gutted to miss this round as Donny is a track I like. I also find the Honda pleasing to drive. But, I was away on a week long bender so I think you'll all understand :D Still, I'll be back in the driving seat for the next few.