PDA

View Full Version : hmm... Scott Speed and Red Bull

MDS
16th August 2010, 04:58
Red Bull is keeping Scott Speed under contract for next year even though they might not have a ride for him. Per Jayski....

Although Red Bull Racing might not have a Sprint Cup seat for him next year, Scott Speed said Friday he has a contract with the team for 2011. The team announced Tuesday that Kasey Kahne would drive one of its cars in 2011 but did not say whether either of its drivers, Brian Vickers or Speed, is out of a ride. Vickers has been sidelined since May because of blood clots. He is undergoing treatment for the clots and likely won't know until November if the treatment is successful, whether he can remain off blood-thinners and race again. Speed indicated Friday that he cannot negotiate with other teams about 2011. "I have a contract with Red Bull," Speed said prior to practice at Michigan International Speedway. "It's not like I'm out. I can't even go out and look for other rides at the moment." Red Bull Racing Vice President and General Manager Jay Frye said Tuesday that the organization could possibly go to three teams but didn't confirm that Speed would be in a car in 2011

I wonder if one of the reasons they're holding onto Scott is because they are considering re-joining the ICS next year as a sponsor. A spot at Andretti Autosport or KVRT could be had fairly cheaply, by their standards.

edv
16th August 2010, 05:41
My money would be on a 3rd Cup team....just for Kasey.

DBell
16th August 2010, 14:29
I'd also add that he could be viewed as insurance in case Brian Vickers can't drive do to continued health problems.

MDS
16th August 2010, 15:19
Yeah, its probably just insurance, but Speed has been a midpacker at best in Cup, and in good equipment he'd probably be a solid threat in the ICS. They could get someone cheaper/better if they wanted. I do have to applaud their loyalty to Speed though.

nigelred5
17th August 2010, 19:03
My guess is Hendrick will foot the bill for a third team if Vickers is healthy. If not, they'll probably just put Kahne in the second car. I've read rumors that Red Bull may be looking for a cheaper way than team ownership to participate in NASCAR. Its curious that Hendrick is placing KK in a Toyota team.

Mark in Oshawa
17th August 2010, 21:27
My guess is Hendrick will foot the bill for a third team if Vickers is healthy. If not, they'll probably just put Kahne in the second car. I've read rumors that Red Bull may be looking for a cheaper way than team ownership to participate in NASCAR. Its curious that Hendrick is placing KK in a Toyota team.

I am looking at this, and thinking this is the likely scenario. Hendrick will fund the 3rd car if Vicker's comes back.

That said, Starter's assertion holds merit as well. Speed isn't making that much money that paying him to sit home wouldn't be out of the question either.

Red Bull paid passing attention at best to the CCWS and IRL in the past.....so I don't see them putting Speed in there just yet. Then again...stranger things have happened.

Scotty G.
17th August 2010, 21:59
If Red Bull is going to pay the guy, might as well put him in a Indy Car.

He's not a stock car driver.

MDS
17th August 2010, 22:11
Red Bull's operating procedure is to hold onto drivers as long as they see fit before releasing them from contracts. Yes they've done some extraordinarily loyal things before, like offering to fund Christen Kline if he wanted to drive Champ Car in 2007, or how they have stood by Scott Speed, but they have a whole host of drivers they've dropped when the winds changed, Sebastien Bourdais, Robert Wickens, Brenden Hartly just to name a few.

If Speed serves a purpose they'll pay him, if not, they'll drop him. I could see a couple of scenarios where they put him in the ICS, but I have no idea how likely any of those are.

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2010, 00:26
If Red Bull is going to pay the guy, might as well put him in a Indy Car.

He's not a stock car driver.
There is a logic to that I think Scott, but as it is pointed out, would they want to spend what it takes to put Scott in a decent ride?

As it was pointed out, it is cheaper to buy him out. Right now, he is an insurance policy and gives them options until next year.

I am evil Homer
18th August 2010, 09:32
Red Bull's operating procedure is to hold onto drivers as long as they see fit before releasing them from contracts. Yes they've done some extraordinarily loyal things before, like offering to fund Christen Kline if he wanted to drive Champ Car in 2007, or how they have stood by Scott Speed, but they have a whole host of drivers they've dropped when the winds changed, Sebastien Bourdais, Robert Wickens, Brenden Hartly just to name a few.

If Speed serves a purpose they'll pay him, if not, they'll drop him. I could see a couple of scenarios where they put him in the ICS, but I have no idea how likely any of those are.

True to a point except Hartley has shown nothing and was roundly beaten by his team mate and Wickens looks average at best. Sebass was out of his depth in F1 and it showed.

glauistean
18th August 2010, 15:12
And the cheapest option of all for Red Bull is to simply pay the driver his retainer until the contract is up and not fund a car at all. Let's not forget that one.

Are you a moderator? This is not a NASCAR forum. You whine and moan over me using the word "hug" and send me a warning for it's use. Very innocuous comment on my part yet you seem to be all over the place with your warnings.

I will presume you will take down this post too.

bblocker68
18th August 2010, 17:04
I'd rather have Allmendinger back. Scott Speed is the American equivalent to goofy professor-like Jackie Villeneuve.

Mark in Oshawa
18th August 2010, 17:35
Are you a moderator? This is not a NASCAR forum. You whine and moan over me using the word "hug" and send me a warning for it's use. Very innocuous comment on my part yet you seem to be all over the place with your warnings.

I will presume you will take down this post too.

I read this...and I thought...no, you are wrong. Starter will leave this up, because he, unlike you understands the rules.

Now, for those who think Scott Speed is coming back to the IRL, I wouldn't say never...but I would like to just say not likely....

glauistean
18th August 2010, 17:41
Don't patronize me. Remember, all you are is a "moderator" and at best a bad one. What you alluded to was one or two mentions of ICS. But, once again, you have failed.

If you paid attention to the room,monitored it, and posted under your SN then that would be okay. As it is, all you do is whine , moan and delete people that state the when Danica Patrick's name is failing as suggested I said maybe her next stop should be Hug. Now it was up to you to decide what I meant and no matter what it was , the post was not in any way inflammatory or out of line. She has crossed that bridge already.

Now, you will probably delete this too! Funny. Oh, and heaven forbid, BAN me.

glauistean
18th August 2010, 17:51
I read this...and I thought...no, you are wrong. Starter will leave this up, because he, unlike you understands the rules.

Now, for those who think Scott Speed is coming back to the IRL, I wouldn't say never...but I would like to just say not likely....

Since when do you you condesending know it all deem that you are the person that knows the rules?

Almost every post you ever write on this forum is pure prattle, and fantasy.

You make assumptions and wild predictions and all you want to do is sit there and wrack up the number of posts you have made.

My number of posts seems small, but in fact and in reality it is quite large.

I started posting on Seventh Gear before there was this excuse for a series.

But that's all we have. We're stuck with it as we are with the "moderators".

garyshell
18th August 2010, 17:52
Don't patronize me. Remember, all you are is a "moderator" and at best a bad one. What you alluded to was one or two mentions of ICS. But, once again, you have failed.

If you paid attention to the room,monitored it, and posted under your SN then that would be okay. As it is, all you do is whine , moan and delete people that state the when Danica Patrick's name is failing as suggested I said maybe her next stop should be Hug. Now it was up to you to decide what I meant and no matter what it was , the post was not in any way inflammatory or out of line. She has crossed that bridge already.

What the hell are you talking about? I for one think Starter is doing a very good job, and I have been given my share of admonishments and time outs here over the years. If you have a beef, take it to the forum comments section where it belongs.

Gary

garyshell
18th August 2010, 17:55
Since when do you you condesending know it all deem that you are the person that knows the rules?

You make assumptions and wild predictions and all you want to do is sit there and wrack up the number of posts you have made.

Mark is one of the most level headed posters on this forum. Which part of name calling and rudeness aren't allowed here, didn't you understand. Oh wait, let me guess, you didn't bother to read any rules.

Bye, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Gary

Mark in Oshawa
19th August 2010, 19:44

Umm I don't consider my words more valid based on the number of posts I have made. I consider my post valid when people either agree with me, or were swayed in their opinion. Some do, some like you just don't get it.

That's fine. That said, mess with Starter if you want. He has been more than fair, and like Gary, I have been admonished and given a time out once for carrying things too far.

Too bad you cannot grasp the point of the moderator, or his role.

IN short, if you cant stand the debate, don't get mad, just go away...

Mark in Oshawa
19th August 2010, 19:46
Mark is one of the most level headed posters on this forum. Which part of name calling and rudeness aren't allowed here, didn't you understand. Oh wait, let me guess, you didn't bother to read any rules.

Bye, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Gary

Gary..you call me level headed, ask Scott what he thinks of me!!!!

He didn't read the rules,and he didn't get it. That's fine....Starter will explain it to him in detail I am sure....

one thing is for sure...I don't know what brought this latest tantrum on....I was gentle to him....

Otto-Matic
20th August 2010, 02:02

Yeah! And why did Shooter McGavin have to be such a jerk to Happy? Trying to buy his childhood home was waaaaaaaay over the line!