PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Night in Barrie

Easy Drifter
13th August 2010, 05:45
Barrie is a City of about 135,000 and home of the Barrie Colts of the Major Jr. A league. The rink holds around 4,000. It is about 60 miles north of Toronto.
The local Member of Parliament has been organizing a charity hockey game for the new, still being built, Cancer Centre at Royal Victoria Hospital.
He actually plays himself and attracts both current and former NHL stars plus Jr. stars and even youngsters plus local celebrities to play.
He outdid himself this year.
To start with he got Michael Burgess to do the Ntl. Anthem. Michael, among other things, was the star of Les Miserables. Last year he did the Cdn. and US Athems at Mosport for the ALMS race and did the best job I have ever heard on the very difficult US Ntl. Anthem.
We had Canada's Minister of Ntl. Defence playing.
For coaches he got the incomprable Don Cherry in one of his loudest suits plus no less than the Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper. The game was a complete sell out.
They raised $200,000.00 for the Hospital.
To me the only sour note was that a local woman organized a protest against Harper. I have no objections to protests at any political function or photo op but this was a totally non political charity event.

markabilly
14th August 2010, 03:22
To me the only sour note was that a local woman organized a protest against Harper. .
I agree, she should have been protesting the jewish occupation of the palestine homeland, paid for by the CIA through canadian banks.

markabilly
14th August 2010, 08:00
whoops, i almost forgot to post a link to save ekiewikie the trouble

http://wikipedia.org/tradecenterbankersuse_ciamoneytostealpalestinethro ughcandabanks_via_hockey-players

but i think that sometimes charity is really helping others, even at great personal sacrifice, without any other justification, but what the hell do i know