PDA

View Full Version : What makes people compete to the death?

Eki
7th August 2010, 22:05
In this case, I think the organizers should have done something before it happened. Sick:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

Finalist dies at World Sauna event in Finland

The annual World Sauna Championships in Finland has ended in tragedy with the death of one of the finalists, the organisers said.

Russian finalist Vladimir Ladyzhensky and Finnish rival Timo Kaukonen were both taken to hospital after collapsing and Mr Ladyzhensky later died.

The competition was held in Heinola, 138km (86 miles) north of Helsinki.

Its chief organiser, Ossi Arvela, said all the rules of the event had been followed.

He said in a statement that the organisers were grief stricken at the events.

Mr Arvela said the police were already at the venue and were undertaking an investigation.

He said: "All the rules were followed and there was enough first aid personnel. All the competitors needed to sign in to the competition with a doctor's certificate."

Mr Kaukonen, who was last year's champion, is being treated in hospital at the city of Lahti.

The event, which has been running since 1999, requires participants to withstand 110C for as long as possible.

Still pictures from the event released by news wires showed the pair being treated after having collapsed, apparently suffering burns.

A.F.F.
7th August 2010, 23:22
In this case, I think the organizers should have done something before it happened. Sick:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10904691

When this stubidity was first held, I told to the former frontman Mr. Hujanen someone is going to die eventually. Of course not said Mr. Hujanen. :mark:

Captain VXR
7th August 2010, 23:35
Natural selection. There's no other way to put it...

Drew
8th August 2010, 00:00
How much was the prize money? That'll be the answer.

ShiftingGears
8th August 2010, 00:44
110C?!

Insane. But at least they're only endangering themselves.

Garry Walker
8th August 2010, 11:21
How much was the prize money? That'll be the answer.

I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with the prize money, which was probably very small. Just the drive to win got the better of them. Crazy guys.

I am a regular sauna-goer and actually have thought of competing in that event too, just for fun. But exactly because of such events I will never do it, because I know I am extremely competetive and would only harm myself there, just giving up is not an option. Those guys obviously took it too far.

110C?!

Insane. But at least they're only endangering themselves.
110C is not insane at all. Back when I used to go to sauna very often, I went in at 130-140C, at times even higher than that. Nowadays I am not in such a good form anymore, so I usually go in at 120C :D . What makes it hard is moisture. So when you throw water on the rocks, it will effectively create a boiling effect and thats what happened to those dudes.
If you dont throw any water, you can be there for ages at 110C and even at 140C, no problem at all. Okay, if you are not used to going, then at the beginning even 90C will be hard, but if I go at 90C, I will just freeze.

Storm
9th August 2010, 11:59
Saw this in our regional newspaper today...what complete non-sense.

ShiftingGears
9th August 2010, 12:16
110C is not insane at all. Back when I used to go to sauna very often, I went in at 130-140C, at times even higher than that. Nowadays I am not in such a good form anymore, so I usually go in at 120C :D . What makes it hard is moisture. So when you throw water on the rocks, it will effectively create a boiling effect and thats what happened to those dudes.
If you dont throw any water, you can be there for ages at 110C and even at 140C, no problem at all. Okay, if you are not used to going, then at the beginning even 90C will be hard, but if I go at 90C, I will just freeze.

Interesting. I have only been in saunas a handful of times, and have absolutely no idea how hot it was. It was good stuff though.

DexDexter
9th August 2010, 13:45
I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with the prize money, which was probably very small. Just the drive to win got the better of them. Crazy guys.

I am a regular sauna-goer and actually have thought of competing in that event too, just for fun. But exactly because of such events I will never do it, because I know I am extremely competetive and would only harm myself there, just giving up is not an option. Those guys obviously took it too far.

Exactly. I've been to a 110C Sauna many times and it's not really a problem although I prefer a slightly colder temperature.

Eki
9th August 2010, 18:16
They may have been even more stupid than you might think. Other competitors quit after 3 or 4 minutes, but those two were there after 6 minutes. A doctor said they may have taken pain killers to numb them up before the competition, so they didn't notice they had gone too far before it was too late.

Mark in Oshawa
9th August 2010, 18:49
Sauna competition? Darwin was SO right....

BDunnell
9th August 2010, 22:09
Sauna competition? Darwin was SO right....

I don't think there's much more that can be said on this one!

DexDexter
10th August 2010, 08:54
I don't think there's much more that can be said on this one!

At least they only hurt themselves, in other countries they kill bulls etc. for entertainment. But yes, a stupid competition.

Eki
10th August 2010, 11:29
It's much nicer when Finns and Russians get together like this and don't literally knock on heaven's door:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV6ETVQgob0

anderzon
11th August 2010, 03:06
At least they only hurt themselves, in other countries they kill bulls etc. for entertainment. But yes, a stupid competition.

the worse part is on the matador and the bull. The bull dies and if the matador won't finish the show he goes to jail.