PDA

View Full Version : 10 more years for Monaco

Dave B
29th July 2010, 08:48
I couldn't find the "Has Bernie lost it?" thread where we were discussing the diminutive one's suggestion that the Monaco GP could be dropped, but as the title of this one suggests a 10 year agreement has been reached for the principality to continue hosting F1's most glamourous - although not always most exciting - race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85619

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/moving-on-from-hockenheim-to-monaco/

Was it ever really in doubt? :dozey:

Mark
29th July 2010, 08:55
No of course not. It might as well have been a 100 year agreement! There's no way F1 would ever let Monaco go!

Ranger
29th July 2010, 09:01
They were always Bernie's negotiating tactics.

Good outcome for all concerned.

Sonic
29th July 2010, 09:13
Well there's a surprise!

I've said before but I may as well say so again. I find Bernie's whole business attitude so "Del Boy" it just doesn't have a place in F1 anymore. These are multi million dollar deals we are talking about here and he's trying to fleece people by suggesting Monaco's going to be dropped. Its the kind of BS i'd expect from an estate agent or used car salesman and I'm continually surprised that Bernie's masters and clients continue to put up with it.

Dave B
29th July 2010, 09:55
...I'm continually surprised that Bernie's masters and clients continue to put up with it.
And yet they do. So what incentive is there for him to change a winning tactic?

Sonic
29th July 2010, 10:08
And yet they do. So what incentive is there for him to change a winning tactic?

But is it a winning tactic? Silverstone called his bluff and we all know how that ended. Canada too refused his demands and we are back there again at what I understand to be a smaller fee than in previous seasons.

Dave B
29th July 2010, 10:10
But is it a winning tactic? Silverstone called his bluff and we all know how that ended.
Yes, with Silverstone finally making the improvements they'd been vaguely promising for a decade without actually delivering. Bernie won. Again.

I don't have the figures for Canada so can't really comment.

Sonic
29th July 2010, 10:18
Yes, with Silverstone finally making the improvements they'd been vaguely promising for a decade without actually delivering. Bernie won. Again.

Depends how you classify "winning" I guess. Silverstone was never the best, but nor was it the worst in terms of facilities.

[/quote]
I don't have the figures for Canada so can't really comment.[/QUOTE]

I know I've seen them somewhere, I'll have a browse and see if I can find the details.

I am evil Homer
29th July 2010, 10:27
No Silverstone wasn't the best for sure but it kept saying it was one the blue ribbon F1 events but the facilities didn't reflect that, either the pits, the media centre or indeed for the fans.

The only premuim thing about Silverstone was, and continues to be, the price they charge for tickets!

Sonic
29th July 2010, 10:29
This isn't the article I read originally but the figures are similar;

Under the five-year agreement, the governments will pay 15 million Canadian dollars a year to host the race, much less than the 35 million a year Ecclestone initially asked for....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Grand_Prix

Silverstone too won a favourable deal after the donny mess at a rate of 10 miilion pounds a year, rising to 16.5 million by 2015.

Perhaps people are getting wise to Bernie's "negotiating" and are standing up to him?

My hope is that he'll set F1 up for the next decade with a host of long term contracts at historic venues and then quietly retire. Sadly I don't see that ever happening. There is no hope of Bernie going till he drops and there doesn't seem to be a heir apparent waiting in the wings.

UltimateDanGTR
29th July 2010, 16:25
classic Bernie.

slate them, then make a deal with them.....

Saint Devote
30th July 2010, 03:27
This isn't the article I read originally but the figures are similar;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Grand_Prix

Silverstone too won a favourable deal after the donny mess at a rate of 10 miilion pounds a year, rising to 16.5 million by 2015.

Perhaps people are getting wise to Bernie's "negotiating" and are standing up to him?

My hope is that he'll set F1 up for the next decade with a host of long term contracts at historic venues and then quietly retire. Sadly I don't see that ever happening. There is no hope of Bernie going till he drops and there doesn't seem to be a heir apparent waiting in the wings.

Bernie only said a few weeks ago when asked that he intends to NEVER retire - he is going to be like the Queen of England: takes one look at who will follow and it merely firms her resolve NEVER TO DIE either :D

Their is no real successor to Bernie. His very able asistant is Pasquale Lattuneddu but there will only ever be ONE Bernie. After him I think some sort of FOTA governing will be the order of the day with a CEO - similar to the FIA but representing the teams.

Easy Drifter
30th July 2010, 05:26
Sonic: Bernie was a used car salesman! That is how he started. Pretty good at that to.
I understand he was also quite good with trains, or at least one train. :D

ioan
31st July 2010, 10:53
Its the kind of BS i'd expect from an estate agent or used car salesman and I'm continually surprised that Bernie's masters and clients continue to put up with it.

Well that's where he comes from.

Sonic
3rd August 2010, 21:42
Well that's where he comes from.

Bernie was a used car salesman! That is how he started.

Ta lads. I am aware of Bernie's background, but personally I don't think its an appropriate style of negotiating for multi-million dollar deals.

Mark
4th August 2010, 08:26
Ta lads. I am aware of Bernie's background, but personally I don't think its an appropriate style of negotiating for multi-million dollar deals.

I don't know how much money you have but I'd wager that Bernie has considerably more than you. Therefore I think he's proven that it works for him :p

Sonic
4th August 2010, 09:19
I don't know how much money you have but I'd wager that Bernie has considerably more than you. Therefore I think he's proven that it works for him :p

I'm mrs (ex) Bernie, so I've got half of what he got. All I had to do was sleep with him *shudders* :p