PDA

View Full Version : No Nationwide or Truck races at Gateway in 2011

slorydn1
28th July 2010, 23:30
Dover Motorsports, Inc.announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, Gateway International Raceway has notified NASCAR that it will not seek 2011 sanctions for its two Nationwide Series and one Camping World Truck Series races. Vice President and General Manager of Gateway, Terry Harmeson stated, “This was a difficult decision in light of the many years of earnest and continued efforts on everyone’s part to develop a viable market for these events in one of our nation’s greatest cities. We remain committed to fulfill the balance of our 2010 schedule including our October 23rd NASCAR Nationwide race which will provide our fans the opportunity to see Danica Patrick compete here for the first time. We also plan to explore various ways to change the economics at Gateway both from the revenue and expense side.”
Denis McGlynn, President & CEO of Dover Motorsports, stated, “We have a group of extremely dedicated and talented employees who make Gateway a great destination and we deeply appreciate all the support we have had from the racing community over the years – from racing fans and drivers to sponsors, team owners and sanctioning bodies. However, economics dictate that we evaluate all of our options for this facility, including its possible sale.”
http://jayski.com/pages/tracks/gateway.htm

Wow...losing another great track...

call_me_andrew
29th July 2010, 02:30
Well that sucks.

beachgirl
29th July 2010, 12:31
If Gateway's not applying for 2011 racing dates, how can Danical Patrick be racing there in October "for the first time". Talk about gratuitous overhype.

Griffon
29th July 2010, 15:58
Since she has never raced at Gateway before, she will be racing there for the first time. And the last time.

71Fan
29th July 2010, 22:57
My guess is that nascar raised the rates or that once it became obvious they weren't going to get a Cup date they decided to cut their losses. The 800 Pound Gorilla Strikes Again

Griffon
29th July 2010, 23:46
This is not about not getting a Cup date. Dover has known that for 10 years. This is about not getting enough butts in the seats at the truck and Nationwide races.

The bad part if this is the St. Louis Region of the SCCA runs three road race weekends, 8 track day type events and 15 autocross events at Gateway. The facility is also used by the Porsche and BMW clubs among others. And there are several motorcycle and kart races there each year. All the local road racers (car, kart or bike) will now have to travel hundreds of miles to get to a road course.

The drag strip is staying open for now.

Dover closed Memphis last year. Look for Nashville to be next on their hit list.

beachgirl
30th July 2010, 13:05
If Gateway's not applying for 2011 racing dates, how can Danical Patrick be racing there in October "for the first time". Talk about gratuitous overhype.

I deleted this right after I posted it, don't know why it stayed on. Oh well.

Lee Roy
31st July 2010, 12:21
My guess is that nascar raised the rates or that once it became obvious they weren't going to get a Cup date they decided to cut their losses. The 800 Pound Gorilla Strikes Again

Ah yes. It has to be NASCAR's fault, doesn't it.