PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans 1955 Documentary (BBC2)

52Paddy
26th July 2010, 00:36
Sorry, I probably should have posted this before the show was aired. But, tonight, there was a fantastic, moving documentary on the Le Mans 1955 tragedy, with some archive photos and videos, as well as opinions from people working at Jaguar, Mercedes etc and also insights from spectator survivors.

Did anyone see it? It may be available online somewhere.

Andrewmcm
26th July 2010, 11:02
It'll be on the iPlayer I'd imagine.

I found it quite distressing to be honest.

UltimateDanGTR
26th July 2010, 18:07
this was on las month, about a week before the 2010 LM24 I believe. and like andrew i found it a bit distressing, but interesting none the less.

inimitablestoo
26th July 2010, 19:19
Yes, I wish I'd pointed it out; saw it on BBC4 (Monaco GP day, in fact) and it was absolutely superb. It was a hard watch in parts - bringing in the first hand perspectives of the French spectators was a move which gave it an edge over any other feature on the crash I've ever seen/read, while the fact that they were able to bring in pictures and that simulation made sure there was something new to bring to it. That made it rise above a simple retelling of a story I think many of us thought we knew; helped emphasise that this was motorsport's "We Must Never Forget" moment.

One thing I did notice was something, or rather someone, who wasn't there; particularly since most of the participants have passed on since 1955, the absence of Stirling Moss, probably the biggest name in the race who's still alive, seemed strange. Perhaps he had nothing to add (I don't know exactly where on the circuit he was at the time of the crash), but it somehow just added to the intrigue. It wasn't because of his lift crash earlier this year, because it was a 2009 production - at least I presume it was. The one other thing I remember about the programme was that, according to the Roman numerals at the end it was made in XXIX - that'll be 29 then :s

wedge
27th July 2010, 00:57
So sad for Mike Hawthorn. The new found photographs were quite magical. He took the brunt of the criticism in what was - to be absolutely fair - a simple racing incident with tragic consequences.

52Paddy
27th July 2010, 08:30
One little flaw I found that should have been ironed out was the fact that none of the interviewees' names were given. There was a Jaguar guy there and an American (John Fitch) who I thought was Phil Hill!

Jag_Warrior
27th July 2010, 10:26
Unless it eventually comes on BBC America, I guess I won't get to see it. :(

martinbalmer
27th July 2010, 17:20
One little flaw I found that should have been ironed out was the fact that none of the interviewees' names were given. There was a Jaguar guy there and an American (John Fitch) who I thought was Phil Hill!

They captioned them the first time they were shown only. Norman Dewis (Jaguar) and John Fitch (Mercedes) being the first two.

Not sure whether they put up the spectators names although they gave them in the narration.

Josti
27th July 2010, 17:23
Unless it eventually comes on BBC America, I guess I won't get to see it. :(

It can be found on Youtube (for now).

inimitablestoo
27th July 2010, 19:20
On again this coming week on BBC2 at about 11:20 on Wednesday. That's what it says in my new Radio Times, although oddly the BBC site says that's only in Wales. Fact: I am not in Wales :s