PDA

View Full Version : Who else was gutted that Montoya lost another one at Indy?

Jag_Warrior
25th July 2010, 22:43
As fast as he'd been all day, what sense did it make it go for 4 tires instead of 2 with so few laps left??? I understand that his crew chief has taken all the blame and is on suicide watch, but how dumb can you be? Seriously! :rolleyes:

Jonesi
25th July 2010, 23:14
4 tires wasn't necessarily the wrong call for them, although it didn't work out. Biffle took 4 tires too and ended up 3rd all over the back of Harvick in 2nd.
It matters how many of the top cars go with 2 or 4 tires and as leader you have to commit first, and how many laps left at which track:
If only 2 or 3 of the cars go for 2, and #42 takes 4, Montoya probably wins.
If only 2 or 3 of the cars go for 2, and #42 takes 2, then the first 4 tire car (Biffle) probably runs them all down.
If 4 to 8 of the cars go for 2, and #42 takes 4, Montoya maybe wins, maybe gets 2nd-3rd, or maybe caught up in someones mess or is the mess.
If 4 to 8 of the cars go for 2, and #42 takes 2, Montoya probably wins.
If 9 or more of the cars go for 2, and #42 takes 4, he has no chance of a win.
If 9 or more of the cars go for 2, and #42 takes 2, he probably wins.

Generally it's majority rules for what's the best choice, but as leader most other crew chiefs are looking at what you do/will do to do the opposite.

Alexamateo
26th July 2010, 00:02
I agree, in that situation, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

00steven
26th July 2010, 03:47
I'm more gutted that David Reutimann crashed on lap 1 at my favorite race of the year! Talk about disappointment! It is ashame for Juan though, he should of won but have to give Jamie props, he was right there all day.

Mark in Oshawa
26th July 2010, 05:50
JPM just let this one get away...again.

Indy can jinx people...maybe the racing ghosts that haunt that place are mad he only was there for one 500 and left....

Roamy
26th July 2010, 07:00
well I hate typing long posts but you guys asked for it.

Juan is super fast at indy because of his skill they take aero off the car. But the downfall is that it makes it hard to pass. Now how Fuzking dumb can a team be to take his car out or 1st place when he doesn't even need the tires.
The team knows this so why did they blatantly fuzk Montoya. If I am JPM maybe I need to call Penske or Gibbs or even Hendrick but JJ will always be the favorite there

Jonesi
26th July 2010, 08:34
JPM just let this one get away...again.

Indy can jinx people...maybe the racing ghosts that haunt that place are mad he only was there for one 500 and left....

A comment I made on another board was, maybe he inherited a curse the Andretti's were no longer using?

Mark in Oshawa
26th July 2010, 09:37
well I hate typing long posts but you guys asked for it.

Juan is super fast at indy because of his skill they take aero off the car. But the downfall is that it makes it hard to pass. Now how Fuzking dumb can a team be to take his car out or 1st place when he doesn't even need the tires.
The team knows this so why did they blatantly fuzk Montoya. If I am JPM maybe I need to call Penske or Gibbs or even Hendrick but JJ will always be the favorite there

WE all know the people on the internet know more than the Crew Chief and engineers after all...

Jag_Warrior
26th July 2010, 19:14
Only problem with that is the crew chief, Brian Pattie, admitted that he made a FUBAR right after the race ended. So you'd have to know more than him to say that he didn't make a mistake, when he says that he did. The other teams hardly had time to react to what Montoya's crew was doing, as they were in the thick of doing what they had to do (2 tires or 4 tires). If they had come in on the next lap, maybe they could have second guessed Pattie. But that's not how it went down. And Biffle's crew chief also said that the call he made was not the right one. So neither one of them is happy with what they did or the way this played out.

While McMurray and Harvick were both praising their crew chiefs for making the two-tire calls, the teams for Montoya and Biffle were both questioning their decisions.

“Bad call,” Montoya crew chief Brian Pattie said. “Crew chief error. We should have taken two tires.”

“I don’t want to say they caught me, but they took a gamble and it paid off for them. I played it safe and it didn’t,” Biffle crew chief Greg Erwin said.

MONDAY MORNING CREW CHIEF: Indy win validates Jamie McMurray’s move to Earnhardt Ganassi more than Daytona 500 triumph (http://www.scenedaily.com/news/articles/sprintcupseries/MONDAY_MORNING_CREW_CHIEF_Indy_win_validates_Jamie _McMurrays_move_to_Earnhardt_Ganassi_more_than_Day tona_500_triumph.html)

wedge
27th July 2010, 14:52
Pfffft

One of racing deals.

Denny Hamlin looked like he was committing Hari-Kari at Martinsville by taking 4 tyres near the very end and went on to win.

I'm more disappointed that JPM let red mist rile him into the wall.

ms0362
27th July 2010, 15:06
If his crew cheif would have been paying attention to the fact that no one could pass each other, he would have taken two tires and maintained the lead.

slorydn1
27th July 2010, 16:56
Pfffft

One of racing deals.

Denny Hamlin looked like he was committing Hari-Kari at Martinsville by taking 4 tyres near the very end and went on to win.

I'm more disappointed that JPM let red mist rile him into the wall.

Amen :up:

Its all situational, and luck.

As for smacking the wall, that was all his own doing...he'd have finished 2nd or better had he not brought out the caution because had it stayed green then Harvick and McMurray's left side tires would have been toast with about 5 to go leaving Monty and Biffle to fight it out...

Alexamateo
27th July 2010, 17:47
Amen :up:

Its all situational, and luck.

As for smacking the wall, that was all his own doing...he'd have finished 2nd or better had he not brought out the caution because had it stayed green then Harvick and McMurray's left side tires would have been toast with about 5 to go leaving Monty and Biffle to fight it out...

Agreed, it's only a bad call in hindsight. The reasoning behind it was sound, but just because a decision was reasonable and sound, it's not necessarily the right one.