PDA

View Full Version : Ayrton Senna Top Gear

Mark
25th July 2010, 21:08
Great Aryton Senna tribute on Top Gear now. Watch it on iPlayer if you have missed it!

GOODSPEED
25th July 2010, 21:16
Just seen the same thing, no idea that was coming. Brilliant.

Sarah
25th July 2010, 22:46
It was excellent - catch it if you missed it.

shurik
26th July 2010, 00:01
Great tribute, also it proves that back then f1 was for men rather than boy-band members

JRodrigues
26th July 2010, 01:47
Great tribute, also it proves that back then f1 was for men rather than boy-band members

After today's race, this is what I needed to see.

UltimateDanGTR
26th July 2010, 10:13
best bit of top top gear for years, excellent tribute to an incredibl racing driver.

ArrowsFA1
26th July 2010, 10:19
Top marks to Top Gear :up: An excellent feature on Senna which captured the man very well. Hamilton's drive in Senna's McLaren was class as well.

Andy Harrison
26th July 2010, 16:24
Here is the link for the film
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8853276.stm

It's a great film and Ayrton Senna was a great man.

MrJan
26th July 2010, 16:49
Shouldn't this be in History & Nostalgia ;) :p :

DazzlaF1
26th July 2010, 18:24
Fabulous piece of film that. And Lewis really looked starstruck when he saw the car he was about to drive, and I dont blame him.

I still dont consider Senna to be as good as Fangio or Clark were, but that doesnt mean I dont think he was a phenominal talent.

gloomyDAY
26th July 2010, 18:32
Anyone else get misty-eyed?

inimitablestoo
26th July 2010, 19:24
Glad it was on this week. Wouldn't have sat very comfortably in the same show as last week's motorhome mayhem :s As much as I enjoyed that edition too, it's nice to see they can do a proper serious feature on TG as well.

And if you didn't see it and can't be bothered with a mePlayer, it's on BBC2 right now. Well, the Senna feature's from about quarter to eight anyway.

Retro Formula 1
26th July 2010, 19:30
Could you imagine Senna lifting to assist Prost :laugh:

DazzlaF1
26th July 2010, 19:32
Glad it was on this week. Wouldn't have sat very comfortably in the same show as last week's motorhome mayhem :s As much as I enjoyed that edition too, it's nice to see they can do a proper serious feature on TG as well.

And if you didn't see it and can't be bothered with a mePlayer, it's on BBC2 right now. Well, the Senna feature's from about quarter to eight anyway.

I knew beforehand that Top Gear were doing a piece on Senna was sort of wondering what the occasion was to show it now, that was before Clarkson said that Senna would have been celebrating his 50th birthday this year.

Retro Formula 1
26th July 2010, 19:44
I knew beforehand that Top Gear were doing a piece on Senna was sort of wondering what the occasion was to show it now, that was before Clarkson said that Senna would have been celebrating his 50th birthday this year.

I know they were having the Bugatti and Cruise / Diaz on but that's because I'm always there :D

wedge
27th July 2010, 00:46
Fabulous piece of film that. And Lewis really looked starstruck when he saw the car he was about to drive, and I dont blame him.

Where's Daniel? :D

Daniel
27th July 2010, 01:04
Funnily enough that's the Lewis I would expect, he was spontaneous and natural and it was enjoyable to watch. Far better than the scripted vodafone bs adverts.

wedge
27th July 2010, 12:47
Funnily enough that's the Lewis I would expect, he was spontaneous and natural and it was enjoyable to watch. Far better than the scripted vodafone bs adverts.

It was the same in the BS advert. Button posed a question on Senna and you see Lewis light up talking about 1988 Monaco qualy.

Daniel
27th July 2010, 12:51
Only someone who is completely unable to read body language would think they were the same. The ad was badly staged, the feature was fantastic.

Rollo
27th July 2010, 13:54
Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.
- BBC

Complete waste of time really. Thank you BBC.

ShiftingGears
27th July 2010, 14:59
- BBC

Youtube it.

wedge
27th July 2010, 15:04
Only someone who is completely unable to read body language would think they were the same. The ad was badly staged, the feature was fantastic.

Wonder how many takes they had to do in the Silverstone garage

MrJan
27th July 2010, 15:15
Youtube it.

eztv.it ;)

Josti
27th July 2010, 16:21
It was a nice feature indeed, but I think the Monaco onboard they refer to several times is from 1990, rather than from the MP4/4 car in 1988.

philipbain
30th November 2010, 22:56
One thing I found a tad inaccurate was that both Clarkson and Hamilton were referring to "1000 horsepower" when talking about Senna at McLaren in 1988. 1988 was the year of the FIA's "equivalency formula" that saw turbos restricted to 2.5 bar boost a 540kg minimum weight limit and 150 litres of fuel whereas the 3.5 litre atmospheric engines had no fuel limit and a minimum weight of 500kg. This resulted in the Honda RA168E 1.5 litre turbo having a maximum power (for qualifying / less fuel critical races) of 685BHP but in race conditions where the fuel ration was critical it often ran as little as 620BHP, still a good 15-20 more than the best 3.5 V8 available in '88.

For the record, engines with over 1000BHP were used from '85 - '87 and even then only in qualifying, though by '87 Honda had around 1000BHP available in the races when conditions permitted, despite the 4 bar restriction, this was achieved by over-boosting the engine with BIG turbos meaning the engine was being supplied with more excess boost pressure than the mandatory pop-off valve could vent from the system!

Bezza
2nd December 2010, 12:52
- BBC

We don't pay the license fee so that people who don't get to watch stuff for free, you know.