PDA

View Full Version : End of school parties = Proms

wedge
23rd July 2010, 15:24
Wonder what its like in other countries apart from N America.

It seems the kids in the UK have built up an industry. I'm sure it wasn't like this 10 years ago.

GridGirl
23rd July 2010, 16:01
We had a party when I left primary school at 11. There was no prom when I left high school but that was quite a few years ago. From the amount of kids I've seen in limo's lately schools do have prom's now. I can only assume they are growing in popularity in the UK now.

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2010, 18:52
We had nothing for either public (Grade 8) or even high school but that was a loooong time ago.
High schools had one formal a year usually in Jan. or Feb. but all grades could attend. My school had Fri. night dances regularly. Dressy but not formals.
Today most public schools have a prom and certainly a fancy graduation ceremony. High schools an even bigger deal.

Mark in Oshawa
25th July 2010, 04:03
I left High School in 1998 when I was 16 and we had a prom in a local hotel. Obviously being underage for alcohol meant the teachers held an assembly to inform pupils that there was a zero tolerance policy on booze etc. This meant all our dates carried a bottle of vodka in their purses and there was a regular flow of pupils going out into the garden to top up our orange juices and cokes lol. Fun times and proms seem to be as popular as ever. As GridGirl says most towns in Britain seem to have a couple of rental companies with naff pink limo's full of out of control high school kids screaming out of the window's lol.

Still not convinced whether it was a good tradition to inherit.. :)

It is stupidity really. When I see kids graduating from Jr. High getting into limo's for a prom... that is 13 and 14 year old kids thinking they have accomplished something special. Good lord...the day we celebrate kids getting just part of an education, it is a silly day indeed.

I GET the point of a Prom when you graduate high school, because from there you go to post secondary education and become an adult really at that point...but not this silly stuff with kids...

Drew
25th July 2010, 21:42
We had 2 proms in my school, after our GCSE exams (end of compulsory schooling) and after A levels. We had the assembly too telling us that there was a zero tolerance policy on alcohol and weed. After our GCSEs Everybody got drunk and or stoned anyway and went to an after party. I never went to the one after our A levels, I spent my money on a night out instead.

Mark
26th July 2010, 10:48
I remember the day I left school. It was after I'd sat my last GCSE exam (I forget what subject). We had to go and get signatures from all of our teachers to say we'd handed back all the necessary text books etc, once we were done we just left the building and walked home; and that was it!

I returned there once more to pick up my exam results a couple of months later, but I've never returned since. This was in 1994.

GridGirl
26th July 2010, 13:28
Although I drive past my old high school most days the only time I've been back since my last exam was to pick up my exam results. Although I do get to find out about it and saw it on Match of the Day as it is linked with one of my clients.

gloomyDAY
26th July 2010, 17:21
I never went to Prom.

Always arrived on time for Prom after-parties. :devil:

inimitablestoo
26th July 2010, 19:21
I remember the day I left school. It was after I'd sat my last GCSE exam (I forget what subject). We had to go and get signatures from all of our teachers to say we'd handed back all the necessary text books etc, once we were done we just left the building and walked home; and that was it!

I returned there once more to pick up my exam results a couple of months later, but I've never returned since. This was in 1994.

Sounds similar to mine, although I did stick around for A-levels. Don't think I'd have wanted to go to a prom at my all-boys school :s

Caroline
27th July 2010, 12:39
It's quite normal for Year 6 pupils to have 'proms' of a sort. It happens a lot really and can be OTT in some cases.

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/417830.aspx?PageIndex=1

Dave B
27th July 2010, 13:24
We went down the pub, the bunch of 16 year olds that we were, and nobody batted an eyelid :eek: