PDA

View Full Version : Cullinary Cul de Sacs

Rollo
23rd July 2010, 01:05
Last night on the telly on ABC1 the program The Supersizers Go... went back to the 1970s. In said program, one of the things for breakfast was... A Fried Slice. I haven't had a Fried Slice since ages ago.
So this morning along with my morning coffee, I bought a fried slice and it was absolutely brilliant! (Although I did have to tell the lady at the shop how to make it :crazy :)

In this world of Stabucks coffee houses seemingly falling out of the sky on every single corner, selling half a pint of overly sweetened (almost treacle-y) and almost scalding excuse for coffee, whatever happened to something as simple as a fried slice.

If we throw this open, what other cullinary backwaters, and cul de sacs are we missing out on because the world is more "sophisticated" now?

Tazio
23rd July 2010, 01:34
This is along the same line. Something that I always referred to as a "Wesson Egg" That name didn't show any results, but I did eventually find it under "Egg in the hole" Usually it is served over easy. How ever I like to fry both sides of the bread and have my egg straight up!

http://swallowfield.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/30/img_3662.jpg

Camelopard
23rd July 2010, 01:45
This is along the same line. Something that I always referred to as a "Wesson Egg" That name didn't show any results, but I did eventually find it under "Egg in the hole" Usually it is served over easy. How ever I like to fry both sides of the bread and have my egg straight up!

http://swallowfield.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/30/img_3662.jpg

I remember having that as a kid, it was great! Will have to try it again, using free range eggs of course. :)

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2010, 02:26
A local restaurant has a super breakfast special for $6.75.
Two or three, depending on size thick slices !/4 inch thick of Peameal (back) bacon, three eggs, heaping helping of pan fries, two slices of toast (white, brown or whole wheat), slice of orange and a quarter slice of honeydew melon.
Coffee extra but bottomless cup.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd July 2010, 02:53
A local restaurant has a super breakfast special for $6.75.
Two or three, depending on size thick slices !/4 inch thick of Peameal (back) bacon, three eggs, heaping helping of pan fries, two slices of toast (white, brown or whole wheat), slice of orange and a quarter slice of honeydew melon.
Coffee extra but bottomless cup.

That over at Mom's in Midland Drifter???

As for the eggs in the toast thing, I had a variant of that in a nice breakfast place in Downtown Toronto today...except they do it in a bagel and cover it with cheese...

Hondo
23rd July 2010, 05:58
I still do the eggs in the bread thing. We always called them "birdnests".

Roamy
23rd July 2010, 06:04
what happened to the "puke" emoicon - Pino must have pulled it

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2010, 06:09
I sometimes do the egg on a Bagel thing.
No, the restaurant is Yannis in Fesserton. I think the crowd in Yannis sometimes exceeds the normal population of the town.
The Crews Quarters here in the Harbour has a lunch special for $6.99 that leaves you stuffed. 8 ounce burger with two cheeses, 2 strips of bacon, onion, tomato on a Kaiser with a huge helping of real fries, not frozen.
They also have a burger which I haven't the nerve to try yet which comes with cheddar cheese, bacon and peanut butter!
Just seems a strange mix.

J4MIE
23rd July 2010, 09:01
Mmmmmmmm I will have to have a trip to North America sometime soon....... :lips:

pino
23rd July 2010, 09:44
The italian way is still the best : eggs, tomato sauce, chilli, garlic and origano :lips: ...you agree J4MIE ? :D

tannat
23rd July 2010, 12:01
It's crazy..

I think of how mom fed us 35 years ago when I was a kid, and how we eat nowadays. Polar opposites...

Granted mom wasn't doing anything wrong. Fried eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc-it was accepted.

I personally feel everyone is eating SO much healthier nowadays...

Easy Drifter
23rd July 2010, 18:43
Corn is ready up here two weeks earlier than normal.
Will have some 'Maple Sweet' done in the husk on the BBQ tonight.
I do not like the hybrid 'Peaches and Cream' but get an old fashioned yellow corn.

Hondo
23rd July 2010, 20:04
It's crazy..

I think of how mom fed us 35 years ago when I was a kid, and how we eat nowadays. Polar opposites...

Granted mom wasn't doing anything wrong. Fried eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc-it was accepted.

I personally feel everyone is eating SO much healthier nowadays...

Mom fed you so you would have a caloric intake to sustain nutrition, growth, and a high energy expenditure. People working in energy intensive labor jobs still eat large breakfasts. It doesn't require a lot of calories to sit on you butt in front of a computer or video game.

J4MIE
23rd July 2010, 20:05
The italian way is still the best : eggs, tomato sauce, chilli, garlic and origano :lips: ...you agree J4MIE ? :D

Yes got to be the best breakfast I've had, but I have heard good things about the size of a fried breakfast in the US and it's got to be worth a try ;)

Easy Drifter
24th July 2010, 04:36
Then there is the McMosport available only at the track.
Often described as a heart attack on a bun.

Mark in Oshawa
25th July 2010, 01:21
Corn is ready up here two weeks earlier than normal.
Will have some 'Maple Sweet' done in the husk on the BBQ tonight.
I do not like the hybrid 'Peaches and Cream' but get an old fashioned yellow corn.

On this we part company. Ontario grown Peaches and cream corn is about the best thing grown around here, although I will be likely picking blueberries soon...which are just the best thing on earth...

Easy Drifter
25th July 2010, 03:23
Blueberries are ready and available here already.
I just converted my neighbor to 'Maple Sweet'.
I gave he and his wife a couple of cobs. First time they have had non Peaches and Cream. They are going down to where I get my corn tomorrow to get some. And it was 3 days old, not fresh when they had it.
There is farm fresh corn available all around here but I know people who drive all the way from Collingwood to get non Peaches and Cream. That is a good 50 K. one way. For me it is a 60k round trip.
The farm where I buy has Peaches and Cream but sell 5 to 6 times as much yellow corn as Peaches and Cream.

Rollo
27th July 2010, 00:08
What really gets my goat is that with this dearth of cooking programs and bloody Masterchef and whatnot people seem to be demanding ever more complex and "up itself" food.

We had a couple of friends over, and being winter in Australia I made Lamb Shanks, mash, peas and carrots. It's a simple old-fashioned sort of recipe, which is just perfect for a nice cold night in. But noooo... our guests were suspicious of lamb.

WHY??

I used a recipe more than 100 years old, taught to me by my Granny. I even went to the effort of getting the seventh cheapest bottle of merlot in the shop as well.

It really does my head in.