PDA

View Full Version : Ant West

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

tha_jackal
15th August 2007, 08:41
If he gets a gig in GP next year, watch out!! ;)

On that very subject:-

West vs DePuniet

Several sources suggest that Kawasaki will almost certainly be running two bikes again next year (not the rumoured upgrade to three.) They are due to announce their plans (as far as machinery/sponsorship goes) some time this weekend and Brno. One thing that won't be decided until the latter end of the year (according to crash.net) is who will partner Hopper at team green in 2008.

MCN revealed that West has emerged as favorite after his highly impressive performance at Laguna (being his first time at the track and finishing just behind Randy) and overall impressive learning curve over his first four races in the premier class..

Personally, well I think you know what my preference is, but I think Randy will get the gig just because he's the 'safer' of the options, so to speak.. What do you guys want/think will be the outcome of Kawasaki's lineup for 2008 and where will the rider that misses out end up..

Cheers!

maxu05
15th August 2007, 09:31
After 11 races, Randy has managed to finish 6 times in the points, for a total of 50 points and 12th in the championship. Westy has raced in only 4 races,finished in the points on all 4 occasions, for 29 points and 16th in the championship.
Randy = 4.5 points per race on average.
Westy = 7.25 points per race. The other plus for Westy is he is less likely to throw it down the road. If I was picking the rider, I would have to go with Westy.

osg
15th August 2007, 11:09
If he gets a gig in GP next year, watch out!! ;)

On that very subject:-

West vs DePuniet

Several sources suggest that Kawasaki will almost certainly be running two bikes again next year (not the rumoured upgrade to three.) They are due to announce their plans (as far as machinery/sponsorship goes) some time this weekend and Brno. One thing that won't be decided until the latter end of the year (according to crash.net) is who will partner Hopper at team green in 2008.

MCN revealed that West has emerged as favorite after his highly impressive performance at Laguna (being his first time at the track and finishing just behind Randy) and overall impressive learning curve over his first four races in the premier class..

Personally, well I think you know what my preference is, but I think Randy will get the gig just because he's the 'safer' of the options, so to speak.. What do you guys want/think will be the outcome of Kawasaki's lineup for 2008 and where will the rider that misses out end up..

Cheers!

to further that discussion jackal.......

http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~6~id~152879.htm

de Puniet, West fight for 2008 seat.

Tuesday, 14th August 2007

With John Hopkins already confirmed at Kawasaki for 2008, but a second big name signing yet to materialise, existing riders Randy de Puniet and Anthony West are facing a seven race showdown to join the Anglo-American next season.

de Puniet is entering the second half of his second season with Kawasaki, while West was hired at June's British Grand Prix to replace the under performing Olivier Jacque for the rest of the year.

The fast but somewhat mistake prone de Puniet had looked a safe bet to stay for next season, but Kawasaki's determination to put proven riders on its highly rated ZX-RR next year - combined with West's impressive learning curve - mean that the Frenchman's seat is far from secure.

The good news for de Puniet and West is that Loris Capirossi looks set to join Suzuki, rather than accept a Kawasaki offer, but the possibility of a third 'Ninja' on the 2008 grid seems to have gone quiet - indicating that at least one rider will leave at the end of the year and making every remaining race, starting this weekend in Brno, vital.

"I feel very fit and ready for the rest of the season," declared de Puniet. "Also, I like Brno. I won there in 2003, got a second in 2004 and had many top ten finishes there, when I was riding in the 250cc world championship. I think the Ninja ZX-RR is going to perform well there, too, with good power for the straights and plenty of acceleration. I'm looking forward to it."

"I wasn't expecting to get such a good result in Laguna but figure if I can do that on a track I don't know, then hopefully I can keep on improving when I'm back on a track I do know," warned West, seventh and one place behind de Puniet at the US GP. "I'm more familiar with the bike now, too. I'm looking forward to seeing the team again and working together and I'm having a lot of fun on this bike so yes, Brno should be good."

If i were Kawasaki....... West would be on the 2nd bike... De Puniet is obviously not learning from his mistakes.

Mach24
15th August 2007, 11:37
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/e/n070814d.htm

There is considerable curiosity over how the Kawasaki MotoGP team will fill their 2008 seats.

Kawasaki have stated they think their bike is capable of winning races and they want top riders on board next season. The team already signed John Hopkins to a big money deal, but the list of top riders is shrinking. Loris Capirossi likely will sign with Suzuki. Dani Pedrosa is unlikely to leave Honda. Colin Edwards probably has a home with Yamaha in some capacity.

The partner or partners to John Hopkins on the ZX-RR for next season are open. Remember, Kawasaki has stated they want to field a third bike for next season, if there is a proper budget.

Randy De Puniet and Ant West currently race the bike. Both have shown flashes this year. Maybe not race winning flashes, but both are younger riders who may continue to improve.

Another rider possibly in the mix is Roger Hayden. The factory pilot currently racing in America in the Supersport and Superbike classes rode impressively as a wild card last month at Laguna Seca. He also has a tie-in with Monster energy drinks, as does John Hopkins. Could Monster (who sponsors the American Kawasaki roadracing and motocross teams) extend their deal to MotoGP next season?

So keep your eyes peeled to see how West and De Puniet perform the rest of the season. And if Hayden tests the bike again or rides more wild cards this year.

tha_jackal
15th August 2007, 12:30
What a crappy article! Honestly, American biased drivel :laugh: Ant 'may' continue to improve? He's had four races FFS, of course he's going to improve, enough to overthrow Randy eventually, im sure..

Realistically, RLH doesnt have much of a chance, if a third bike is run (Monster energy needed to jump on board $$$) then he'll be considered, however that is looking extremely unlikely at this point in time.. The most likely choices are Capirossi,(Suzuki bound?) DePuniet and West, period.. Also, how dare they mention Edwards as a 'top' signing, hes on the way out and only ever been a GP support act at best :lol: .. the cheek!

jim mcglinchey
18th August 2007, 11:00
Whats this about West slagging off Chris Vermeulen in the Aus press, saying that he regularly kicked Chris's arse when they were teens. Was it a throwaway comment or is anyone taking it seriously?

tha_jackal
18th August 2007, 11:49
Was a comment made in jest in the MCN article .. He was just saying, back in their dirt tracking days (remember that they were only kids, barely teenagers) Ant would kick CV's arse and at lunchtime (after the first two race wins to Ant) CV would crack the ****s and go home while Ant went on to win the third race of the day heheh.. Just a joke, no malice intended im sure..

19th August 2007, 01:15
Whats this about West slagging off Chris Vermeulen in the Aus press, saying that he regularly kicked Chris's arse when they were teens. Was it a throwaway comment or is anyone taking it seriously?

Jim........Both of these guys are from South East Queensland and have enviable riding records from when they were kids and going head-to-head. However, Australia's the driest country in the world therefore it follows that they were inflicted with the endemically arid sense of humour which results in we Australians continually taking the p... out of each other. The Kiwis are affected likewise. As unbelievable as it may sound, we have occasionally been known to take the p... out of the poms, Irish, yanks, Europeans and most others. Call it a friendly ragging said in jest rather than a slagging.

Time for my medication...Regards from me and the other inpatients. :D

Mach24
19th August 2007, 04:21
Jim........Both of these guys are from South East Queensland and have enviable riding records from when they were kids and going head-to-head. However, Australia's the driest country in the world therefore it follows that they were inflicted with the endemically arid sense of humour which results in we Australians continually taking the p... out of each other. The Kiwis are affected likewise. As unbelievable as it may sound, we have occasionally been known to take the p... out of the poms, Irish, yanks, Europeans and most others. Call it a friendly ragging said in jest rather than a slagging.

Time for my medication...Regards from me and the other inpatients. :D

Love your work RR, can you share that medication around?

tha_jackal
20th August 2007, 01:23
Good Ant West video on motogp.com for those that have a subscription.. Worth a look..

Roby44
24th August 2007, 11:47
I tried to post the link to the interview but I can't seem to get it to work!! :dozey: :dozey:

Its a good interview..

Now with Randy off to LCR next year surely Ant will get to keep his place at Kawasaki

tha_jackal
24th August 2007, 12:09
Touch wood, but Shinya and others will be his competition...

Mach24
24th August 2007, 12:11
Now with Randy off to LCR next year surely Ant will get to keep his place at Kawasaki

Ever heard the name Shinya Nakano?

tha_jackal
24th August 2007, 13:58
I dont think Nakano deserves another chance at Kwaka.. He ditched them for the 'superior' Honda without even seeing the team green 800 to gague its potential.. He's made his bed, he should lie in it..

neninja
24th August 2007, 14:25
He supposedly left on good terms with Kawasaki though. Plus he got Kawasaki's only podium in MotoGP.

Going to be a tight one. If Ant can get a solid result at Misano he must be favourite. Kawasaki have been known to make some strange selection choices in the past though.

NinjaMaster
24th August 2007, 16:27
Nakkers got Kwaks only dry podium (which counts for more). Jacque got one as well.

You're right about Kawasaki's decision making. Not only is it often strange but usually poor. However, Shinya back on Bridgies on the 800 that suits his 250 style more than the 990's may be competitive. My completely biased opinion is that team green should sign Ant. As Jake said, Shinya showed no faith in them by leaving at the end of last year. Let him head to D'Antin.

neninja
24th August 2007, 16:41
Yes, I forgot about OJ - easily done after how poor he was in all the dry races

ArmchairBikeFan
24th August 2007, 18:52
I think Nakano's virtually a certainty for Kawasaki if he's available. He was their golden boy for years. I don't blame him for moving to Honda, he thought he was moving onwards and upwards.

fatman
28th August 2007, 17:28
MCN is reporting that Ant has got the deal with Kawasaki for 08 !

Good job for him. Not official yet but if MCN is accurate and I think they usually are then its a done deal.

ChrisS
28th August 2007, 18:49
MCN is reporting that Ant has got the deal with Kawasaki for 08 !

Good job for him. Not official yet but if MCN is accurate and I think they usually are then its a done deal.

MCN's approach to news reporting is: if there are no news, we will make up some. ;) that said they also get a lot of things right

They also reported that Edwards has a deal with Tech3 and Guintoli has a deal with D'antin so this makes it 3 done deals according to MCN without official confirmation

tha_jackal
29th August 2007, 08:25
I really hope its true, id also hope Kawasaki run three bikes and Nakano gets a go, but im just happy as long as Ant's there first :D He deserves it as much as anyone IMO.. Others are allowed to disagree, but from someone whose ridden every high and low (sadly lows have dominated) with Ant, I can safely say justice is done if this news comes to fruition..

Peace!

neninja
29th August 2007, 10:43
Here's the link to the MCN report on Ant

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug28-31/aug2807motogpanthonywestclincheskawasakimotogpdeal/

It will supposedly be announced officially tomorrow.

If it's true I suspect Nakano will struggle to get a ride next year. From golden boy to nothing in a year.

ChrisS
29th August 2007, 10:58

it says in the eve of the Misano race so in 8 days, not tomorrow ;)

tha_jackal
29th August 2007, 11:15
Misano is this weekend, so tommoro is right :)

ChrisS
29th August 2007, 11:42
oops, mixed the dates

thanks for reminding me the race is this weekend :)

osg
29th August 2007, 20:47
Here's the link to the MCN report on Ant

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/august/aug28-31/aug2807motogpanthonywestclincheskawasakimotogpdeal/

**kneels down and says a prayer for Ant**

tha_jackal
30th August 2007, 02:28
**kneels down and says a prayer for Ant**

You and me both...

tha_jackal
30th August 2007, 14:30
30 Aug 2007
KAWASAKI CONFIRM WEST AS HOPKINS' TEAM MATE FOR 2008

The Kawasaki Racing Team confirmed their full rider line-up for the 2008 season today at Misano, with the announcement that 26-year-old Anthony West has been signed on a one-year deal to ride alongside Kawasaki's other recent signing, John Hopkins, next year.

West was drafted into the Kawasaki Racing Team back in June as a replacement for Olivier Jacque, who moved across to head up Kawasaki's Ninja ZX-RR development programme as the official factory test rider. Since his arrival in MotoGP, West has impressed with how quickly he has adapted to racing in the premier series, as well as his consistent results during what has been a period of intense adjustment for the Australian.

West, who resides in Austria during the season, has considerable racing experience, having started out in the Australian Dirt Track Championships in 1994, which he won soon afterwards. It was a similar story in 1996 when he won his domestic Long Track Championship as well. After a move to road racing, he won the Australian 250cc Production Championship in 1998 and took home the 'Rider of the Year' award.

West also had a period of racing in Japan before entering the international Grand Prix paddock in 1999 as a 250cc rider. After a brief foray into the two stroke 500cc series in 2001, he rejoined the quarter litre series only to be largely frustrated by substandard machinery and financial constraints that, whilst difficult to contend with, failed to quench his talent and determination to continue.

Earlier this year, West headed to World Supersport as a stand in for injured Yamaha rider, and fellow countryman, Kevin Curtain. In the three races he rode for the manufacturer, he ended up with a third and two wins: at Misano and Silverstone. Then, having caught the eye of Kawasaki team boss, Michael Bartholemy, he was drafted in to replace Jacque in the factory MotoGP squad and hasn't looked back since.

His early performances have shown remarkable promise: he has notched up 33 points in just five rounds, with three of those finishes being in the top ten and, as he grows more used to the ZX-RR over time, Kawasaki are optimistic they will see him shine ever brighter on track.

With his obvious gift and unquestioned passion for racing, partnered with Hopkins' talents and wealth of experience, the Kawasaki Racing Team offensive looks set to light up the circuits of the world next year. Furthermore, the ever-advancing speed and consistency of the Ninja ZX-RR, along with the reliability and performance of their Bridgestone tyres, bodes well for an electrifying season in 2008.

Anthony West: Kawasaki MotoGP Pilot #13
"I feel great about how things have worked out. As you can imagine, it's a huge weight off my shoulders. This is definitely something I've been stressing about: whether I can stay in MotoGP and, if so, for which team. But this really is the best opportunity for me, to stay with Kawasaki, as I'm really happy here. It's such a good team and a great bike with all the support from the factory. Now, I've got one thing less to worry about so I can just concentrate on riding. It will be cool to be in a team with John Hopkins, too, as I know him pretty well and we get along together. He's riding really well at the moment, so hopefully I can push him next year! This is such a massive difference to where I was earlier this year in 250s. I didn't even think I was going to be racing again and now I'm in one of the best teams in the paddock and staying another year, so it's a big turn around. I'm just so glad I kept trying and stuck at it. With the chances that Kawasaki are giving me, it's really paid off, and I am looking forward to repaying their faith in me with some good results aboard the Ninja ZX-RR, both this year and next."

Michael Bartholemy: Kawasaki Competition Manager
"I think a lot of people in the paddock were surprised when we brought Anthony into the team at Donington Park. His route to a factory team in MotoGP was not an orthodox one, but his performance so far this year aboard our Ninja ZX-RR was enough to convince Kawasaki that he was the right choice for next season. Now the pressure is off him, and I think we will see this reflected in his racing for the remainder of the season. As for his potential for next season, who knows? He's young and he has the chance to show what he can do, and I'm confident he will perform. Together with John Hopkins, we have a very strong line up for the 2008 season. They're both very determined riders and it's great to see a fantastic team coming together."

Im over the moon! Gooo Ant ;) :up: Cant wait for 08 now :D

NinjaMaster
30th August 2007, 14:36
Woop woop woop woop woop!

tha_jackal
30th August 2007, 14:37
Woop woop woop woop woop!

Yep, thats about what im doing right about now.. :laugh:

neninja
30th August 2007, 16:21
Looks like your prayers were answered

T-D
30th August 2007, 18:01
oh happy day! well deserved.

patnicholls
30th August 2007, 19:23
(ahem, we don't need two Westy threads!)

osg
30th August 2007, 20:50
*Points to sky* Thank you God!!!!!!

Now, lets make the rest of the season a good one Westy...... stay fit and focused during the offseason........ and

Give it to 'em in '08 Westy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO!!

fatman
30th August 2007, 20:54
and to think. Everyone still has their kidneys !!!

Allyc85
30th August 2007, 21:05
No suprise to me, a very well deserved ride, just sort out qualifying Westy!

ChrisS
30th August 2007, 21:14
I am happy to see West on there but disappointed not to see Nakano, I hope he can stay in MotoGP

The Phantom
31st August 2007, 03:57

Now THAT'S funny! :D

NinjaMaster
31st August 2007, 09:45
I am happy to see West on there but disappointed not to see Nakano, I hope he can stay in MotoGP
Yeah, I think Shinya still has a place in MotoGP. Hopefully the 3rd Kwak bike thing can come off under Konica Minolta colours.

Roby44
31st August 2007, 10:52

Good one!! :s mokin:

jonny hurlock
1st September 2007, 00:04
earned the drive for kawasaki, for next season, every time I See him on the television, more I'm liking him

ozrevhead
1st September 2007, 00:11
Fantasic News!!! :D

He deserves it - worked so bloody hard to get there!!!

Pantah Jack
12th September 2007, 04:11
Some interesting comments from Ant on After the Flag at motogp.com regarding his signing....Casey's "form" and the dirt track beginnings.

The motogp boys are going to have to learn some new lingo what with the Green Ant and the Grass Hopper in one team. Hey Dude... Sic... Fully Sic haha

You dont have to be crazy to race MotoGP but it helps to travel with a snake and an iguana.....what the?

Maybe Ant and Hopper can bring a new generation to motoGP and it's bloody refreshing to see blokes who refuse to "tow" the line but prefer to let their riding do the "cultured" talk

Roll on Philip Island

tha_jackal
12th September 2007, 04:50
...what he said :D :up: .. After the Flag was quite humourous IMO, I can relate to Westy and Hopper talking the way they do ;)

Pantah Jack
22nd September 2007, 09:54
In comments to Bracksy after qual 6th for Motegi. SIC!!!!! Put the qualifiers in early and went to 2nd quickest and something like "I kept looking at the big screen and thought **** I'm still good"

Fingers crossed XXX

tha_jackal
22nd September 2007, 10:37
Lol, there he goes swearing again on live TV.. :D Have to say though, fantastic qualifying performance by the green Ant, bring on the race!

tha_jackal
22nd September 2007, 12:41
http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/379614.jpg

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/379612.jpg

Who said he doesnt have a personality! :D :laugh:
I have similar sunnies actually, good taste :p

T-D
22nd September 2007, 13:13
i've waited three races to get back on the bandwagon. i knew he wold figure out the qualifiers.

how is his race pace looking?

tha_jackal
22nd September 2007, 14:39
Not to bad! He did a few 47's before doing a 46 on qualis, so i think he should be able to just about match DePuniet..

Pedrosa and Rossi are the quickest of the bunch on race tyres, along with Hayden.. Melandri is also quick on race rubber, aswell as Stoner..

Will be interesting to see how it goes, should be a close battle behind Rossi and Pedrosa.. Oh and shame on you for getting off the bandwagon! Where's your loyalty! Your meant to stick with him through thick and thin, i should know ;)

ShiftingGears
24th September 2007, 09:38
How come theres so many riders wearing those stupid white rimmed glasses? Are they sponsored?

NinjaMaster
24th September 2007, 10:00
How come theres so many riders wearing those stupid white rimmed glasses? Are they sponsored?
They would want to be!

West was terrific but it was such a shame he jumped the start. I was gutted by the first corner but at least I had Casey to keep the Aussie podium dream alive! Ant will go real well at the Island in a few weeks time.

ChrisS
24th September 2007, 10:23

probably

Sunglasses, watches and space on their caps are commonly sponsored (on the podium the cap is of tyres but then in the press conference it can be of personal sponsors)

Its funny because as soon as the rider gets of the bike there is always someone there with the cap, sunglasses etc...

jim mcglinchey
24th September 2007, 10:29
It was a really harsh decision because he didnt really jump start. He moved forward a few inches then braked, so all he gained was about 4 inches (101.6mm ) and he was starting from stop, just like the others.

NinjaMaster
24th September 2007, 10:33
It was a really harsh decision because he didnt really jump start. He moved forward a few inches then braked, so all he gained was about 4 inches (101.6mm ) and he was starting from stop, just like the others.
Yeah, it really was tough on him because it really stuffed him up more than giving him an advantage because he was stopping when everyone else took off. Still, that's the rules. It seemed like the red lights were help for a very long time, we wondered if his clutch had grabbed a bit and caused his 'creep'.

leopard
24th September 2007, 10:42
Why, do you prefer mirror glass used by someone next to West?

leopard
24th September 2007, 10:58
It could be worse than normal start like the others, once the red light off He is not ready to make the start off after making the brake of the earlier start.
It may not count too much, the biggest disadvantage of this mistake was being penalized for jump start.

Roby44
24th September 2007, 11:25

That is what I thought too. He stopped as soon as he moved, if you get what I mean. :confused:

tha_jackal
24th September 2007, 11:43
Yer he edged forward, hit the brakes as the rest of the field took off, then he took off after them, the penalty definately doesnt fit the crime, but its the rules im afraid..

It was amazing that he was still able to be in second after the first few corners :eek: Fark, what could have been! I just have to stop thinking about it :D His debut podium will be just round the corner, im sure..

It was just great to see him qualify sixth in the dry IMO ;)

Oh and he's sponsored by Spy Optics (sunglasses brand) same as Hopkins..

Roby44
25th September 2007, 11:47
That podium might just be at The Island... :)

tassiedevilAB
25th September 2007, 15:02
Lets hope it is an all aussie podium, that will make up for a lot of dissapointment's in the last years for the Ant lol.

osg
19th October 2007, 09:38
Ant looking the goods so far in malaysia...... 5th after FP2. C'mon Ant!!!!

tha_jackal
19th October 2007, 10:08
Ant looking the goods so far in malaysia...... 5th after FP2. C'mon Ant!!!!

Beat me to it! :D 5th and he didnt even test there in the pre-season, like the rest of the field ;) :up:

maxu05
19th October 2007, 22:25
I just hope he can get to grips (no pun intended) with the Qualifying tyres. I would like to see him in the leading pack from the start. Go Westy :up:

osg
20th October 2007, 05:14
5th again in FP3........ less than half a second from Stoner. Looking good Ant, looking good.

osg
20th October 2007, 08:03
.......and 5th again :)

tha_jackal
20th October 2007, 08:18
Yup, qualified 5th after leading for most of the session! At one stage, with two minutes to go it was three aussies occupying the front row, what a coup that would have been..

Looking strong for the race, goooo Ant :up:

osg
21st October 2007, 11:17
:hmh: :bigcry: Ant.......... geez...

tha_jackal
21st October 2007, 13:22
Indeed, I was devestated! When the comentator said those fateful words, my heart sank :p

Im sure he would have been livid after the race.. Glad he vacated the pit box instantly so Bracksey couldn't interview him :D

I guess the positive he can take out of it is that he qualified very well in the dry and will only get better from here on out, he also gained a point.. I HIGHLY doubt he'll make that mistake ever again..

ArmchairBikeFan
23rd October 2007, 09:23
Apparently Westy didn't jump the start at all, he got a jump start on a technicality because he lined up in the wrong grid spot.
There are millions of grid spots for various kinds of racing, apparently he lined up on the one slightly to the left and in front of the one where he should have been.
It's explained at http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/user/21458/October/Wests-jump-start/

tha_jackal
23rd October 2007, 09:57
He should of been back a fraction and to the right a fraction (see Stoner, on the right slot of the two grouped close together, Westy on the left one :( )

I actually think that he tried to move back but couldnt get across :( Must of been a force of habbit from racing in the 250 class and because he was the first rider back he had no other rider(s) to guide himself with..

I was shattered after that, seriously lost alot of interest in the race..

Roby44
25th October 2007, 05:17
Yup, qualified 5th after leading for most of the session! At one stage, with two minutes to go it was three aussies occupying the front row, what a coup that would have been..

Looking strong for the race, goooo Ant :up:

That was so great to see on the big screen at the track at Sepang!! I had all my fingers and toes crossed for Ant to keep his pole position,but alas it was not to be, but he held it for awhile.

osg
5th November 2007, 06:50
That was disgraceful. I hope he sorts himself out with lots of positives in the offseason.

Roby44
5th November 2007, 07:58
http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/press/index.asp?saction=Article&sSection=press&id=973

Roby44
5th November 2007, 08:01
'The race, for me, was terrible and very long. But the good thing is I realised what my problem's been all weekend and I've been chasing the wrong issues. I thought it was all about the rear grip but actually I've just been lacking confidence in pushing the front. Now I realise that's what I should have been working on all weekend. Thirty laps around here taught me that! I'm glad winter testing's coming up and this result is going to make me more determined to do everything I can for next season. I'm going to spend the next few months training and trying to get this bike working for me so I can get faster and more consistent at every track.'

At least Ant is man enough to admit his mistakes..I knew I liked him for lots of reasons!!

Next year will be the year of the Ant!! :)

tha_jackal
5th November 2007, 08:51
That was disgraceful. I hope he sorts himself out with lots of positives in the offseason.

Harsh but maybe fair, you have to remember he's done remarkably well considering the relatively small amount of time he's had in the premier class..

With a full pre-season, Ant will come out swining next year ;)

osg
5th November 2007, 09:51
Harsh but maybe fair, you have to remember he's done remarkably well considering the relatively small amount of time he's had in the premier class..

It was a bit blunt jackal.... but christ i was disappointed with that after the positive form he had shown the previous rounds. It was ugly. I felt uncomfortable watching Valentino ride on by with a broken hand like Ant was standing still.

T-D
5th November 2007, 22:19
in the previous race, guintoli finished second to last. his worst performance this season.

each rider gets one mulligan per season, one race where they are just lost.

ant got his yesterday.

Roby44
6th November 2007, 10:43

He will for sure. He was only in the premier class for about 12 races wasn't it??

He'll do just fine next year!!

JETFX...
6th November 2007, 13:58
Ant will be a contender next year if Kawasaki can deliver a strong package... having hopa along side him will motivate Ant no end... I get the feeling they will both get along really well too and feed off each others enthusiasm and be highly motivated after each of their results this year.

Team green will be one to watch in 08 and could be challengers all things being equal! Roll on 08 its going to be a cracker.... :beer:

Roby44
7th November 2007, 04:13
I visit a few forums relating to MotoGP and it is really great when I read on these forums about Ant West and how well he is admired liked and respected as a person and rider by lots of people from all over the world.

Good one Ant. You deserve the accolades.

Bring on 2008

tha_jackal
7th November 2007, 05:58
Too right! Although I sometimes find people that blatantly dis-respect Ant and ramble on about his unworthyness of a MotoGP ride, which i have no time for..

I find it's easier to ignore them than to waste time arguing, I know Ant deserves to be there and I know he'll give Hopper a run next year ;)

Roby44
7th November 2007, 10:25
Yes I know what you mean. I had someone say something to me about Ant and I was amazed that an Aussie could say such a thing!!

Most people I met in Sepang had only good things to say about Ant as did the majority at The Island.

I think people are really impressed by his riding abilities.

tha_jackal
26th November 2007, 10:14
Good Westy audio interview over at www.crash.net (http://www.crash.net) .. Short but sweet..

Here tis (http://media.crash.net/radio/4005.wma)

Enjoy.

NinjaMaster
26th November 2007, 13:04
They've actually had a few things on Westy lately. Everyone else must be busy...

Roby44
28th November 2007, 09:58
They've actually had a few things on Westy lately. Everyone else must be busy...

No!! People are starting to realize how good he really is!! :)

tha_jackal
28th November 2007, 09:59
Hopefully he lifts his game at Jerez and goes back to showing people how good he is :s

NinjaMaster
29th November 2007, 09:53
Hopefully he lifts his game at Jerez and goes back to showing people how good he is :s
Well, after 2 days he's been disappointing. Tis only very early in the game though. The last few tests before next season starts will be when the rider's real speeds are shown, when the manufacturers are all ready to go and not experimenting too much.

ShiftingGears
30th November 2007, 09:34
I don't see what the hype is about yet.

tha_jackal
30th November 2007, 09:37
Its the pre-season.. Times really are pretty well meaningless.. Remember, Westy did qualify as high as fifth during the regular season as a mid-season rookie, when he was actually chasing a quick lap time.. Right now he's getting to know the bike and his new crew.. The quick times will come in time..

NinjaMaster
30th November 2007, 09:55
I don't see what the hype is about yet.
To keep us keen over the off-season of course! :up:

Roby44
5th December 2007, 10:14
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/antlogo.jpg

05 Dec 2007
ANT WEST: PICASSO OF THE PADDOCK?
Kawasaki MotoGP rider, Anthony West, isn't just a demon on a motorcycle. The 26-year old Australian has another significant talent which has now been embraced by the team: his skills as an artist.
His bike, helmet and pit box have recently been emblazoned with Ant's self-drawn logo.
"I've had my designs used on my kit before," he explains "the helmet I used when I first came to Grand Prix racing was decorated by my own artwork, but there hasn't been much else that's been used, until now.
"Art was just about the only thing I was any good at when I was at school," he continues. "At least, it was the subject I tried hardest at and the only one I got an A in."
He started young, doodling and drawing for fun, but has carried it on into adulthood and it remains one of his favourite pastimes.
"I don't do it now as much as I'd like, and it's not very organised, I just do it when the mood takes me. At home I've got heaps of different sketchbooks and note pads but most of the time I just pick up a pen and draw on random bits of paper. So I have this big pile of stuff I've drawn."
The logo is an impressive piece of work. The insect which shares his name is drawn as a well-dressed, mischievous creature, carrying a cane and displaying a cheeky grin. To be honest, it's nothing like Anthony at all (he certainly has fewer legs) but hey, that's artistic license for you…
And he worked through a number of ideas before eventually picking the final design.
"I started drawing in a variety of different styles and there were a few good ones. I couldn't use some of them though, they might have been seen as a bit aggressive and scary and not the best image to give off!"
But the end result has livened up his lid, his pit box and his fairing with originality and flair. And Ant's chuffed:
"I'm pleased with it, it's personal and I think it looks cool," he grins, approvingly. "It's pretty nice to have your own art work on a MotoGP bike…"

tha_jackal
6th December 2007, 02:37
Maybe that could be a career for Ant after his racing life :p

Mach24
6th December 2007, 10:00
Ant has a huge year ahead in 08', this is make or break for the true Aussie battler.

Ant has never had a better opportunity and may never get another opportunity if he is deemed a failure.

Whilst proving more consistent than the fast but falling Randy DePu he has another challenge ahead in facing Little Johnny Hopper.

Ant must be top ten from day one and must certainly be seen as competitive with Hopper straight up.

Whilst all the romance of Ant getting the ride has been superb, he must now deliver!

Roby44
6th December 2007, 10:51
Ant has a huge year ahead in 08', this is make or break for the true Aussie battler.

Ant has never had a better opportunity and may never get another opportunity if he is deemed a failure.

Whilst proving more consistent than the fast but falling Randy DePu he has another challenge ahead in facing Little Johnny Hopper.

Ant must be top ten from day one and must certainly be seen as competitive with Hopper straight up.

Whilst all the romance of Ant getting the ride has been superb, he must now deliver!

I think Ant will certainly deliver some great results next year.

neninja
6th December 2007, 11:18
I think his biggest problem will be that the Honda's and probably the Yamaha will be much more competitive making it much harder to get consistent top 10 finishes.

The top 10 is likely to be -
Stoner
Rossi
Pedrosa
Hayden
Dovi
Lorenzo
Chris V
Hopper
De Angelis
Capirossi
Nakano (now he's back on Bridgestones)

The likes of Melandri, Ant, Randy DP, Toseland, Elias will be picking up the occassional top 10 but I can't see them being there consistently. The field is looking much stronger for next year with the arrival of the 250 young guns.

NinjaMaster
13th December 2007, 08:47
That's a big call on Melandri there neninja, struggling for consistent top 10's. Sure he's struggled in early testing but he is class and I would expect him to be a consistent front runner.

On Ant, whilst I really want him to succeed, I don't mind if he fails so long as he gets to show his full talents unhindered by injury or mechanical failure. All I've ever wanted for Ant was the opportunity to find out if he really has what it takes to be competitive or if he is no more than an also-ran at the highest level. This is finally that chance and hopefully he can make the most of it. :up:

neninja
13th December 2007, 16:59
I agree it is a big call on Marco but he has been so inconsistent this year and appears to be struggling with the Ducati. The same happened to Loris on the 800cc Ducati and I think Marco will find it hard to adapt.

As Rossi says riders such as Marco and Loris are finding it hard to use traction control to it's maximum potential as they are so used to doing it themselves whereas the riders more recently moved over from 250 seem to adapt quicker to the traction control as they've never known anything else on the big bikes.

It seems apparent that Casey really worked wonders with the Ducati and was in perfect harmony with it where other riders say it's a handful and very flighty.

Sorry for hijacking the Ant thread

Roby44
14th December 2007, 10:27
In the spirit of Christmas...You are forgiven!! :) :) :) ;)

tha_jackal
14th December 2007, 10:35
On Ant, whilst I really want him to succeed, I don't mind if he fails so long as he gets to show his full talents unhindered by injury or mechanical failure. All I've ever wanted for Ant was the opportunity to find out if he really has what it takes to be competitive or if he is no more than an also-ran at the highest level. This is finally that chance and hopefully he can make the most of it. :up:

Couldn't have put it better myself, oh actually i could :D only because i think he has a damn good chance of being successful, aswell as showing how fast he is ;)

Roby44
16th December 2007, 10:52
5 of my faourite riders together!!

http://www.jibjab.com/sendables/preview/kBGwxD5zQxp7lGcVCfEu9Jwx

JETFX...
23rd December 2007, 01:27
I think his biggest problem will be that the Honda's and probably the Yamaha will be much more competitive making it much harder to get consistent top 10 finishes.

I dont think Honda and Yamaha will dramatically improve in 08, unless they turn out somthing completely new? at least based testing times so far...

Ant will improve probably also given time on the Kwaka as will Marco on the Duc.

I find it hard to believe Loris and Alex could not ride around the traction control on the Duc anyway, something there is indicating that the difference was infact Casey alone. 08 will be interesting for sure because if Casey was the difference he will likely dominate again and unless the other manufacturers can pull monumental rabbits out of their hats the results will be very similar in 08... :s mokin:

Pantah Jack
22nd January 2008, 00:44
Ant has changed his website address. See below......

His old one will continue to be active for a while yet and will carry the same content in anycase.....

Go team DUDE in 2008.....

Thank god it's the 22 Jan today and "the season" begins. I for one have been suffering severe withdrawal.

Jack

tha_jackal
22nd January 2008, 02:03
i was hoping Ant's website would be getting an update, seems a bit dated to me.. it also isn't updated as often as it should be... compared to other riders anywho... hmm, wonder if Ant's getting new lid/leathers/sponsors at all this year.. Pantah, you know anything? peace..

Roby44
22nd January 2008, 09:44
i was hoping Ant's website would be getting an update, seems a bit dated to me.. it also isn't updated as often as it should be... compared to other riders anywho... hmm, wonder if Ant's getting new lid/leathers/sponsors at all this year.. Pantah, you know anything? peace..

I was thinking that too! Ant really needs his own Fan Club Forum site like lots of other riders have.

The site he has now doesn't seem to be updated very often at all. If Jack wasn't about to give us some info we wouldn't know anything at all.

I pass on all Jacks info about Ant to other forums I am on as they all LOVE Ant ;)

Thanks Jack!! Keep the info flowing.

osg
25th January 2008, 23:57
Judging by the times over the tests at Sepang, i really do hope Ant was running a hell of a lot of installation laps and chopping and changing setup, as those times weren't good at all.

NinjaMaster
26th January 2008, 06:33
With the time of year it is, I'm not real concerned by times. It just means his laps with a q tire weren't that good. I'll be more interested in his and everyone else's times come the final test.

Mach24
26th January 2008, 08:58
I'll be more interested in his and everyone else's times come the final test.

Agreed, but you would still expect a bit more!

Roby44
26th January 2008, 09:11
Sepang test pictures

http://mototribu.com/competition/motogp/2008/test-sepang/index.html

Roby44
26th January 2008, 09:13
Ant at Sepang test

same as the above but this starts at Ant picture!! Love the last piccie #154!!!
http://mototribu.com/competition/motogp/2008/test-sepang/index147.html

maxu05
26th January 2008, 11:31
I don't think you can read into the times too much just yet. Every team has new parts to try out and test, tyres, suspension bits and pieces etc. I agree that the more realistic times will come at the final test before the racing starts, but, even then, some of the riders and teams will sandbag IMO.

tha_jackal
27th January 2008, 09:01
Westy is probably (no evidence here) doing alot more donkey work and testing more risky and under-developed parts compared to Hopper (who they want to get fast, comfortable and quick ASAP)

Ant has already demonstrated that he has the ability and pace on the bike (QP at Motegi and Sepang last year) .. Plus, testing means sweet 'f' all to be honest, the **** will hit the fan once we arrive at Qatar come round one..

Mach24
27th January 2008, 09:31
Westy is probably (no evidence here) doing alot more donkey work and testing more risky and under-developed parts compared to Hopper (who they want to get fast, comfortable and quick ASAP)

Ant has already demonstrated that he has the ability and pace on the bike (QP at Motegi and Sepang last year) .. Plus, testing means sweet 'f' all to be honest, the **** will hit the fan once we arrive at Qatar come round one..

Jake the thing that bothers me is that the test riders who would actually be testing the components you refer to are close to Westy.

Westy needs to up the Ante' at PI!

NinjaMaster
28th January 2008, 00:20
Jake the thing that bothers me is that the test riders who would actually be testing the components you refer to are close to Westy.

Westy needs to up the Ante' at PI!
It just depends on what everyone is testing. If the test boys (Jacque and Serizawa) are testing no more than engine parts and West is testing suspension and tyres as well then that could account for his slower pace. We really don't know but Bartholemy reckons Ant needs to pick the pace up a bit.

Pantah Jack
30th January 2008, 06:39
Hey Possums ,,,, dont forget his wrist surgery just before Christmas. Not a lot of strength work in that wrist until some healing time. All will be good in time. Check out Ant's interview on motogp.com

tha_jackal
30th January 2008, 07:26
Hey Possums ,,,, dont forget his wrist surgery just before Christmas. Not a lot of strength work in that wrist until some healing time. All will be good in time. Check out Ant's interview on motogp.com

Makes sense that he's not 100% just yet.. Still, times from day one at P.I and hes only .1 off Hopper's pace...

Roby44
30th January 2008, 10:14

Given that he is still recovering from that surgery Ant is going bloody well!!

Anyone going to the testing at The Island ??

I have some friends going down on Friday so hopefully they will get some good shots :s mokin:

Pantah Jack
16th February 2008, 23:51
The Kwaka boys were clearly not to concerned with lap times as Ant set his fastest lap on lap 27 of 83. At that point he was runniing around 8th quickest and about 1.1 secs off the fatest lap. Not sure whether they used a "qualifier" at all during the day. Will be interesting to see how day 2 pans out as a BMW Roaster is up for grabs.

maxu05
17th February 2008, 01:57
If Westy is in the top ten, I will be happy, and so should he. I think Westy is better in the race than in Qualifying.

Pantah Jack
17th February 2008, 14:47
Rain man comes 4th in BMW Roadster....YEEHAA Stoner stuck in a coupla blinders. Go Aussie Oi

The Phantom
17th February 2008, 16:32
Excellent result, obviously he has some work to do in the dry but what a confidence booster.

Go La Nina ;)

Pantah Jack
18th February 2008, 07:20
Excellent result, obviously he has some work to do in the dry but what a confidence booster.

Go La Nina ;)

Haha. Do ya rekon Ant could do with some of those "showers" QLD has recently experienced ;)

tha_jackal
18th February 2008, 08:53
I think Ant could do with some promising dry form, more than anything else... Its going to be dry far more often than its going to be wet...

maxu05
18th February 2008, 09:50
It's easy to get excited when you see the Ant up there at the pointy end, but it's the racing that counts. I think Ant needs to get used to the qualifying tyres, so he is not playing catch up during the race. His race pace is usually quite good, but he is always fighting his way up from the back of the field. By the time he catches the mid field, his tyres are toast. If he can qualify in a decent position, I feel he can fight for the podium.

Pantah Jack
19th February 2008, 00:13
It's easy to get excited when you see the Ant up there at the pointy end, but it's the racing that counts. I think Ant needs to get used to the qualifying tyres, so he is not playing catch up during the race. His race pace is usually quite good, but he is always fighting his way up from the back of the field. By the time he catches the mid field, his tyres are toast. If he can qualify in a decent position, I feel he can fight for the podium.

18 Feb 08 Anthony West: 12th - 63 Laps – 1:41.026

"We've mainly worked on the handling and the steering of the bike today. We've made a big step forward in the front-end set-up and I feel a lot more confident, although there is still room for further improvement. We have also tested some qualifying tyres from Bridgestone that I have never used before and the results were promising, I am sure that given more time using them we could have gone even faster. We finished off the test with a 10-lap run to see what the tyre performance is like towards the middle of race distance and we found more consistency than with the previous tyres we have used. We now have a plan to fine-tune the set-up with what we have learned here in Jerez and I will return home to continue with my training programme before heading to the last pre-season test in Qatar."

Jack

Roby44
19th February 2008, 10:03
Haha. Do ya rekon Ant could do with some of those "showers" QLD has recently experienced ;)

I'll gladly send these showers over to Ant!!

Mach24
10th March 2008, 08:02
Disappointed!

Roby44
10th March 2008, 09:55
Disappointed!

Sure was!! I guess Ant was even more so..

BUT it's only 1 race there are 17 to go.. Let's be positive here.. :)

NinjaMaster
10th March 2008, 10:37
Disappointed!
Only disappointed? I was gutted. Still, he can (and will) only improve from here.

maxu05
10th March 2008, 11:22
Like I have said in another thread, this race is unique, and not a good measure of how the season will pan out. I think Westy is uncomfortable with the bike at the moment, but, I am sure he will get it together soon. Don't write the man off after only 1 race, same goes for Rossi by the way.

neninja
10th March 2008, 11:47
What's up with him? Totally out performed all weekend by a still far from fit team mate.

I reckon that Suzuki and Kawasaki were a bit lucky last year that the Honda and Yamaha 800's took a while to get right plus they were on Bridgestones which no longer seem to have the same advantage. I think they're going to have a very tough 2008.

maxu05
10th March 2008, 11:54
Early days yet, Kwaks and Zooks have not hit the road running, but I am sure that they will be able to improve and show more promise in the near future. Kawasaki and Suzuki appear very determined to be competitive, so, I think they will get stuck into improving the performance post haste.

tha_jackal
11th March 2008, 07:40
As a few people have mentioned, its far to early to write him of just yet.. Westy had absolutely no confidence all weekend from testing at Qatar to the race weekend..

You can't ride a GP bike without confidence methinks.. He can only get better from Jerez onwards, i still have faith..

However, if he doesn't improve drastically soon (i mean at least competing with Hopkins) then his seat at Kawasaki will be under real pressure, which sucks!

As Bartholemly said after the race, there is no point in Ant wasting energy and mental strength by beating himself up, he just has to knuckle down, find some form and start delivering the results Kawasaki know he can..

maxu05
11th March 2008, 13:56
Ant is a temperamental bugger, but very determined when he gets his head down. I think if he knuckles down, and starts to ride around the bikes inadequacies, he will start making progress. I wouldn't write the guy off after 1 night race. Look what happened when he went to WSS. I don't think that it was a fluke, the man has talent, give him a chance.

Roby44
11th March 2008, 20:59
Ant is a talented rider, who just needs to have a bit more faith in his own abilities!!

You are right, look how well he did in WSS and on his first few MotoGP races.

I won't be writing him off too soon!! Or at all for that matter!! :)

JETFX...
11th March 2008, 22:46
Obviously some major concerns with the Kwakas at the moment... both Ant and Hoppa are being patient/polite more so than anything else. Both riders would obviously ride around 'minor' concerns but if they are risking being thrown down the road by pushing to hard I dont blame them for being cautious.... Its upto team green to produce better machinery simple as that and noone should blame the riders from what I can see. I reckon they will sort the issues and bounce back sooner than latter that would be a safe bet!

Roby44
20th March 2008, 09:47
Pity, they will both have to play second fiddle to the man from down under.

Ant West???? :)

maxu05
20th March 2008, 09:51
I wish it was Ant they were chasing, but, I think Mr West has a lot of work to do to get to the pointy end at this stage. I know he can do it, but, does he know ?

Roby44
20th March 2008, 10:11
I wish it was Ant they were chasing, but, I think Mr West has a lot of work to do to get to the pointy end at this stage. I know he can do it, but, does he know ?

Some days Ant seems so confident and then other days he seems so unsure of his abilities.

I think he has what it takes..to be at the pointy end.. ;)

maxu05
20th March 2008, 10:23
I just hope he gets it together soon.

Roby44
20th March 2008, 10:47
He'll be right mate!! ;)

JETFX...
21st March 2008, 06:33
I just hope he gets it together soon.

I reckon not before Kwaka can turn that green turd they call a race bike into something worth taking a 'risk' on for Ant and Hoppa... No doubt whatsoever in my mind its the bike! You wont see Ant or Hoppa pushing it hard until Kawasaki sort out that dog :dozey:

If I was Ant I would be more than ready to jump ship when/if another ride becomes available either through injury or retirement?

maxu05
21st March 2008, 10:34
Bit harsh to call the Kwaka a dog of a bike, sure, they are having some problems sorting it out, but, you must remember that Hoppa squashed his coconuts, and Ant is just having some confidence issues. The bike showed some real promise last year, and it can only get better from here. I would rather that the bike starts the year slowly, and picks up the pace as the team and riders get the hang of the setup, rather than the riders try to push from the beginning and make mistakes. I think they will get it together, but, it may take a few races.

Roby44
22nd March 2008, 07:01
18 Mar 2008
WEST HELPS LAUNCH NEW BRIDGESTONE TYRE
Kawasaki Racing Team rider Anthony West last week attended the international media launch of the new Bridgestone Battlax BT-016 tyre, which uses tyre technology derived from MotoGP.
In addition to talking to specialist bike media, West completed a handful of laps of the Circuito de Jerez aboard a Kawasaki ZX-10R equipped with the new BT-016 hypersport tyres.
Under the guidance of former GP rider Jeremy McWilliams, who was working for Bridgestone to set up the bikes at the track, West impressed the attending media and Bridgestone management with his skills around the Jerez circuit, putting the BT-016 through its paces.
West said: "It was interesting to be in Jerez last week to ride with the new Bridgestone street tyre, something different to riding slicks all the time. It is good to see what they put the development into. It was quite a nice tyre to ride, but it is a bit strange to ride on the street bike with normal shift patterns, so I had to really think about that. The new tyre is really predictable to ride on, you could feel the front and when you made the rear slide, you knew exactly what it was doing, so I think for a street tyre it is perfect for normal riding."
The BT-016 is an advanced hypersport tyre designed to maximise the performance of sport bikes on the road. Kawasaki's MotoGP tyre partner, Bridgestone, has combined MotoGP construction technology with its latest multi-compound technology to produce a tyre that gives high-level grip performance in braking, cornering and acceleration. This allows riders to enjoy improved handling, stability and grip – as well as longer life and lower noise.

maxu05
22nd March 2008, 09:02
I wonder if I can get a set of these tyres for my little scoot :D

NinjaMaster
22nd March 2008, 10:55
I wonder if I can get a set of these tyres for my little scoot :D
I wonder if you could ride your scoot the way West would've ridden the ZX10! :D Powerslides anyone? :up:

maxu05
22nd March 2008, 13:26
I am always sliding my little scoot, just have to wait until it rains though, as it is not powerful enough to get the tyre spinning in the dry :laugh: I do miss my ZZR 1100 from OZ though, it was easy to get that spinning, but it was a handful.

JETFX...
24th March 2008, 07:15
That's a rubbish excuse for Ant. He was stomped on by his injured teammate and will need to pull his finger out to prove he deserves a ride in MotoGP. It's only 1 round and I think he can.
Incidentally, this is waaayyyy off topic and the is a whole thread dedicated to Ant.

No actually their both under performing 'big' time so why then!!!? "the bike" its pretty obvious to many.... And so what if its off topic? sorry I didnt know you had been sworn in with the forum "fun police" :rolleyes:

-Fair to disagree yes of course but if your going to respond then at least attempt to prove me 'wrong' jeeez otherwise your response is the only "rubbish" I can see here ;)

NinjaMaster
24th March 2008, 11:04
No actually their both under performing 'big' time so why then!!!? "the bike" its pretty obvious to many.... And so what if its off topic? sorry I didnt know you had been sworn in with the forum "fun police" :rolleyes:

-Fair to disagree yes of course but if your going to respond then at least attempt to prove me 'wrong' jeeez otherwise your response is the only "rubbish" I can see here ;)
No doubt the Kwak isn't a race winner in it's current standard, that is obvious. But to say that's why West came last (CV doesn't count) because of that is rubbish because his teammate brained him by 16 seconds which would have been 30 seconds if not for Hopkins injuries. Had they both been the last 3 then your argument might have had legs.

I'm not the fun police but this thread, which was supposed to be about 2 specific riders, became another Ant West thread, of which there already is a dedicated one that is 20 pages long. I've no problem with a general MotoGP or rider thread coming back to Ant but what is the point of having thread topics if they all ultimately revert back to West? :confused:

JETFX...
24th March 2008, 22:54
[quote="NinjaMaster"]No doubt the Kwak isn't a race winner in it's current standard, that is obvious. But to say that's why West came last (CV doesn't count) because of that is rubbish because his teammate brained him by 16 seconds which would have been 30 seconds if not for Hopkins injuries. Had they both been the last 3 then your argument might have had legs.
/QUOTE]

No argument from me... That seems to be quite one sided obviously!
Sorry putting words into my mouth is not going to cut it either ie- "to say that's why West came last"
My comments are observations and the fact is both Ant and Hoppa have backed off compared to their efforts on the 07 Kwaka, the reason being the 'bike' and you say Ant is no good... too funny????

Sorry....Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored ;)

maxu05
25th March 2008, 04:22
I have a theory about this, please bare with me on this. You have two cooks, and they are making Bolognaise sauce for their spaghetti. They both have the same ingredients,one sauce tastes magnificent, but the other tastes bland. That could be the same as setting a bike up for the race. A twist of this, a tightening of that etc, etc. We know that Westy and Hoppa are great riders, and we also know that the Kawasaki has shown great potential in the past 2 seasons. I think the bike needs to be tweaked just right to get it performing, and the riders need to feel confident abount their mount. I think they will sort it all out soon, and get on with the business.

Roby44
25th March 2008, 10:00
24 Mar 2008
EUROPE CALLING
MotoGP is heading to Jerez this weekend for the first European round of this year's world championship. After the historic opening race at Qatar, held at night earlier this month, the premier class teams return to Spain for what is always one of the most popular events of the calendar.
The Kawasaki Racing Team, fielding riders John Hopkins and Anthony West, is looking forward to getting stuck in to another round and, having recently visited the circuit for the official IRTA test in February, where it ran the latest incarnation of the remarkable Ninja ZX-RR, hopes are high for some good results.
Hopkins, while still not completely recovered from a muscular injury sustained in a crash in Australia in January, nonetheless feels more than ready for another race, having had some time since Qatar to concentrate on his rehabilitation.
West remains disheartened by a disappointing opening round but will not allow that to affect him as the practice sessions begin at the end of this week. The Queenslander is more determined than ever to make his mark.
The Jerez circuit first hosted MotoGP in 1987, a year after its construction, and the championship has made an annual pilgrimage to the track (it is always the venue for the first European round of the year) since 1989.
Situated in south west Spain, not far from the coastal city of Cadiz and on the outskirts of Jerez de la Frontera, it is a popular venue for both motorcycle and Formula 1 testing during the winter months.
It has a complex layout, offering riders a real challenge. It boasts 13 turns over its 4.42km distance, so teams will be looking to set the bikes up for some hard braking with shorter, sharper bursts of power out of the corners. Given the circuit's curvaceous nature, the machines spend much of their time at an angle, so the Kawasaki squad, along with their tyre partners Bridgestone, will aim for good stability and drive.
As the 18 riders who make up the 2008 grid take their places for Sunday's 27 lap race, there will no doubt be a very substantial crowd there to watch them. Last year, Jerez saw 132,168 spectators visit the circuit on race day with a staggering 244,461 fans attending during the whole of the weekend.
Practice sessions begin on Friday and continue, along with qualifying, on Saturday, with the race itself starting on Sunday afternoon at 2pm local time.
John Hopkins: Kawasaki MotoGP Pilot #21
'The abductor muscle I tore at Phillip Island in January still isn't completely fixed but everything's going okay and I've been training hard. I've been in Miami, the sun's been out and I've been taking care of myself before Jerez. We've had some more MRI scans done, which show the injury is still definitely there, unfortunately, but it's not been keeping me from working on my fitness. Despite the muscle problem, I really feel 100% ready for the race and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm definitely going to improve on the position I got at Qatar. We'll work on tyre choice and a good set up and it'll be great to head back to Europe to race.'

'I really wasn't happy with my performance at Qatar. Riding around at the back isn't why I'm here and I need to get it together. My confidence was shot when I crashed a couple of times and, after that, I never really found my pace. My main aim is essentially to raise my game. I need to have more faith in the bike and the set up, especially when it comes to turning it in to the corners. This is a weak spot for me, of sorts. Still, I'm really looking forward to the Jerez race. I really want to prove myself and I'm hoping this is where I can start doing that.'

25th March 2008, 22:32
Ant West certainly generates a lot of interest and the support he gets from forum members is great, but if it is because of any hopes that he will ever be better than just an averagely good rider, sorry but I just can't see it.

patnicholls
25th March 2008, 23:34
It's a tricky one this year so far - several things come into it.

The green machine does look to be the weakest bike so far, although three of the four Italian machines have struggled for now with new riders aboard too. Qatar often isn't a full yardstick by which to measure the whole season, so on more 'regular' tracks things may be different. Westy has said he's struggling for confidence, and when you're not quite on top form confidence-wise [or your machine's not 100% on the pace] you'll rapidly find that there's a thin line between 'respectable' and 'last'. Someone has to be last of course, and even though it's a slightly small grid this year there's a lot of talent in there.

If I'm being honest...I think last season Honda's early-season problems flattered Suzuki and Kawasaki a bit and gave them chances to be at the front that in many seasons they wouldn't get as much of. Likewise, Tech 3 are competitive this year and last year they weren't over race distance. Everything's always relative to the other teams.

JETFX...
26th March 2008, 00:05
Ant West certainly generates a lot of interest and the support he gets from forum members is great, but if it is because of any hopes that he will ever be better than just an averagely good rider, sorry but I just can't see it.

Put him on a better than 'average' ride!!! er maybe the factory Honda or Yamaha and you will...Hes in the same boat as Webber is in F1. Sux not being a marketable commodity for the sponsers eh! mabe they both should take out Spanish or UK citizenship?

Iam guessing some around here did not see some of Ants performances in the 250 GP class or SS or potential skills when the rain falls. Sometimes the equipment "IS" actually to blame believe it or not!

ShiftingGears
26th March 2008, 07:43
Put him on a better than 'average' ride!!! er maybe the factory Honda or Yamaha and you will...Hes in the same boat as Webber is in F1. Sux not being a marketable commodity for the sponsers eh! mabe they both should take out Spanish or UK citizenship?

Maybe teams would consider it if West put in better than average performances ;)

Relatively speaking, Webber >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> West.

Roby44
26th March 2008, 08:21

Iam guessing some around here did not see some of Ants performances in the 250 GP class or SS or potential skills when the rain falls. Sometimes the equipment "IS" actually to blame believe it or not!

I did and he was great.

Sometimes Ant says what he thinks out loud and that doesn't go down too well with some owners. He's not the sort of fellow to "brown nose" either so.. :confused:

He tells it like it is..Which I admire him for...

I'm a fan!! Go Westy!!

Roby44
26th March 2008, 20:39
26 Mar 2008
WINTER WARRIOR WEST
Living in Austria during the winter has it's advantages if you happen to be a keen skier or snowboarder, but it's not such a great place to live if, like Kawasaki's Ant West, you need to get out running as part of your fitness regime.
The 26-year-old Australian bases himself out of Fuschl, Austria during the European MotoGP season, and that's where he returned to after the opening race of the season in Qatar.
With his pre-season training hit hard by the surgery on his previously injured wrist, Westy was determined to use the gap between the Qatar and Jerez races to get his fitness back up to the level required to wrestle Kawasaki's Ninja ZX-RR round the 20 odd laps of a MotoGP race.
Unfortunately for the Australian, his arrival back in Austria coincided with some unseasonably cold weather that would have deterred many from sticking to their training schedule, but not Ant. Always one for the simple solution the Kawasaki pilot, together with training partner Ben Skepper, simply put on every item of clothing he owns and headed out into the wind and snow to put in the miles.
'It was very tempting to use the weather as an excuse and just stay home with the heating cranked right up,' declared West. 'But I need to get back to full fitness, so me and Ben just put on every piece of clothing we have and went for it. I know I ride a Ninja ZX-RR, but I don't remember there being anything in my contract that said I had to dress as a Ninja between races, but that's what the two of us looked like by the time we actually made it outside and started running!'
Having survived his training programme without going down with hypothermia, West was pleased to discover sunny weather and warm temperatures when he arrived in Jerez for the second race of the 2008 season.
'Hopefully all the cold weather training will pay dividends this weekend in Jerez, where it's at least a bit warmer than Northern Europe. I wasn't happy with my performance in Qatar but, hopefully, I'll be able to put that well and truly behind me with a better result here in Jerez come race day,' concluded West.

Roby44
26th March 2008, 20:41
26 Mar 2008
RIDER DIARY: ANTHONY WEST
Hmmm... Well, the season's finally started but I can't say I'm exactly happy with what went on in Qatar. Riding around at the back isn't why I'm here.
From start to finish, it was a bit of a nightmare for me. We were at Losail for testing a week before the race and, although we were making progress with the bike, I just couldn't seem to get it together.
Then, when the race weekend itself came around, I was still real uneasy about things. Grip was the main problem. The whole night race thing was awesome: something really different and great for the sport in terms of publicity; but when it came to traction, it was a bit of an issue.
The place got so cold at night that the track temperature dropped to around 14˚C and the tyres we were using didn't cope too well with that. John had similar problems. Every time we opened the throttle, the back would step out and threaten to throw us off, so it wasn't exactly fun. I came off a couple of times and that shot my confidence even more so, by the time the race started, I wasn't feeling good, even though Bridgestone had been working like hell and had really helped us with the tyre problem.
We've been sorting out so much on the ZX-RR and it's such an amazing bike but I'm just not managing to get the best out of it at the moment; or it out of me. I know I can do a hell of a lot better than that; it's just going to take more work.
Still, on the positive side, I learned a lot and now I'm in between races I'm spending the time figuring out what issues I have to iron out.
The next race, at Jerez, will hopefully not be so hard. For a start, it should be warmer and maybe then I'll have some more confidence in the rubber.
Sometimes I really let this stuff get to me but having my mate, Ben, around helps to keep me fairly upbeat. When we're not on the road with the team, he's hanging out with me at my apartment in Austria which only serves to make it seem even smaller; if that's possible. He's sleeping on the floor at the moment, which isn't ideal.
Still, I guess there's more room than there used to be. Ninja, my iguana, isn't around anymore. That's what comes of leaving a girl in charge of him. He got so fat. God knows what she was feeding him. I buried him in the forest. I couldn't just flush him down the toilet, after all! Anyway, he wouldn't fit.
Oh yeah, and Sniffles, my snake… He went missing for ages. Climbed out of his cage and disappeared for about three months. Then suddenly he just turned up again the other day and he was fine. I gave him a couple of mice, which he gulped down straight away, and it was like nothing had happened. It was good to see him again. I put him back in his cage and reinforced the door to stop him escaping. Still, it would be quite funny if he did, what with Ben on the floor and stuff.
Anyway, yeah: it's cramped.
After the race at Qatar I went straight to Jerez for a tyre launch. There were millions of journos over there, all trying out the new Bridgestones. All I had to do was ride around on a ZX-10R, sliding around and stuff; it was a laugh. Best of all though, by the time I got back here, Ben had done a whole load of cleaning.
Awesome! He's a great PA, this guy.
We had a good time in Qatar between the IRTA test and the race. My Kawasaki boss had organised for us to go to watch some powerboat racing one day. I got to go out in the pace boat and to wave the flag to start the race, which was a great experience. Those things go so fast on water, you wouldn't believe it. I want to get one now, ha ha!
Then we had a day out in the desert, riding quads, motocross bikes and stuff. That really was fantastic. There were dunes as far as the eye could see. I spent a lot of time on a Kawasaki KX450F and riding it up and down on the sand was just the best.
There were a couple of camels knocking about but I didn't fancy having a go on one of those. They're really ugly and make a load of weird noises. And anyway, I like bikes; they don't think for you. I don't want to ride anything with its own brain!
Anyway, so we're nearly on to Jerez. I don't know if I have a plan as such. Maybe I should close my eyes when a corner's coming, not brake and just go for it! But I'm really glad the season's started. I just need to raise my game and give it my best shot.

Roby44
26th March 2008, 20:41
Sniffles................The snake!!! :eek:

JETFX...
26th March 2008, 23:21
Maybe teams would consider it if West put in better than average performances ;)

Relatively speaking, Webber >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> West.

OK but if you dont want to use any logic then please explain how Ant could do that riding a turd? So give Westy a proven race winner then. Put Webber in a silver car and watch him hose Hamilton, he proved that point in Malaysia. Give Ant the same chance on a factory Honda or Yamaha ;)

ShiftingGears
27th March 2008, 05:48
OK but if you dont want to use any logic then please explain how Ant could do that riding a turd? So give Westy a proven race winner then. Put Webber in a silver car and watch him hose Hamilton, he proved that point in Malaysia. Give Ant the same chance on a factory Honda or Yamaha ;)

Not getting flogged by your teammate would be a start. West was just woeful in Qatar.

By your logic you could put the worst rider on the grid in the best bike and suddenly they're the best rider on the grid. THAT would be using no logic ;)

JETFX...
27th March 2008, 09:18
The facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored-

If you put West on any of the factory bikes other than the green turd he would only do better! as would Hoppa, now thats using simple enough logic it would seem.....but maybe not??? ;)

I noticed no one is saying how fantastic the Kawasaki is ONLY how bad West is?

So lets here some insightful thoughts then on why Hoppa is doing so badly also if thats possible..... :rolleyes:

tha_jackal
27th March 2008, 10:20
Westy will be fine, give it time.. All the nay-sayers can fark off to be honest..

NinjaMaster
27th March 2008, 11:17
No argument from me... That seems to be quite one sided obviously!
Sorry putting words into my mouth is not going to cut it either ie- "to say that's why West came last"
My comments are observations and the fact is both Ant and Hoppa have backed off compared to their efforts on the 07 Kwaka, the reason being the 'bike' and you say Ant is no good... too funny????

Sorry....Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored ;)

Umm, who is putting words in someone elses mouth? I never said Ant is no good but his performance was not up to scratch. :rolleyes:
And facts haven't been ignored but my heads not in the sand that sometimes he (like most) is capable of a crap weekend. He was comfortably beaten by his teammate on the same bike and tires. Bridgestone obviously struggled in the cold of night hence poor overall finishes but the first thing a rider strives for is to beat their teammate and he was nowhere near it. Hopefully a return to more average conditions will see a return to form from Ant and he can produce a result at Jerez that his fans (like me) know he can achieve.

Nice to see ya round Jake. Was wondering where you'd been but if you were gonna show up anywhere... :D

JETFX...
27th March 2008, 22:49
Umm, who is putting words in someone elses mouth? I never said Ant is no good but his performance was not up to scratch. :rolleyes:

Er you are actually!.... you can spin it all you like, denial wont change that. If you wanted to communitcate otherwise you would be expressing the "FACT" that Kawasaki are under performing as a 'team' instead of focussing on just one of thier riders performance and blaming him for the under performing bike! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :dozey:

patnicholls
27th March 2008, 23:46
I'm not quite sure what the argument is here.

The Kawasaki is slightly the weakest combo out there, but not by much. Everyone's agreed on that.

Westy did underperform in Qatar compared to a pretty injured John Hopkins - a few checks of motogp.com's results charts reveal that.

Quali:
Hopkins P10 +1.336 from pole
West P18 +3.518

Warm-up:
Hopkins P4 +0.312 from fastest
West P17 +2.065

Race fastest laps:
Hopkins 9th best +1.338 from fastest
West 18th +2.886

We've had round 1 of 18. There's plenty of time for things to change, especially since Losail's an odd circuit.

JETFX...
28th March 2008, 03:21
Exactly.....

One race run and some of these wannabe armchair 'experts' seem to blame Ant for all thats wrong, not the Kawasaki at all???.... "worst rider" nonsense etc.
All I say is if you are riding the "worst bike" what else would you expect other than bad results. Why not support these blatant facts? Why argue over the obvious? funny some of these negative types without any factual supportive answers to back up their response's.

He actually can ride you know :p

Funny how when Val is under performing its all the bikes/tyres etc fault according to the yellow throng.

After all Ants still closer to his team mate on the worst bike out there than any of the "other" Ducati riders are to Casey on the 'best' bikes..... dah ;)

ShiftingGears
28th March 2008, 06:51
After all Ants still closer to his team mate on the worst bike out there than any of the "other" Ducati riders are to Casey on the 'best' bikes..... dah ;)

To get into a better team when you start off you need to be beating your teammate ;)

JETFX...
28th March 2008, 07:21
"Fix" the bike and maybe the motivation will be there..... and again why blame the rider the bikes a turd, why should he risk injury like Hoppa's or worse :dozey:

ShiftingGears
28th March 2008, 07:37
"Fix" the bike and maybe the motivation will be there..... and again why blame the rider the bikes a turd, why should he risk injury like Hoppa's or worse :dozey:

The riders job is to give constructive feedback to the engineers, develop the bike, and go as fast as they can even if it is a piece of ****! That is the mark of a professional athlete. And no team wants a rider that doesn't give it 100%. Which is why few teams would be interested in West after Qatar and events like Malaysia, where he false started and then lost motivation.

Mach24
28th March 2008, 11:15

Unlike your comments, Ant is not blaming his bike for his performance.

NinjaMaster
28th March 2008, 11:33
Ok, I'm gonna try and soften my stance here and see if I can clarify my position on Ant West a bit.
Obviously his first round performance was disappointing for the many Westy fans around the world and there has been plenty of passionate discussion on this board about why. From my point of view it is multi-faceted. Bridgestone really struggled to find good grip in the cold night conditions for all but Stoner which then in turn hampered Kawasaki's efforts to get their bikes to work at there most optimum. But West had his own issues also, struggling for form and rythym as a result of a lack of confidence which made matters worse.
Both parties need to get their heads together for round 2 at Jerez to improve, though they will be up against it as the Spanish circuit has favoured Michelin in the past. Give it 5 or 6 rounds and if he is still a long way behind Hopkins, then I will be worried.

maxu05
28th March 2008, 12:16
Fair enough, I would have to agree with that.

patnicholls
28th March 2008, 13:33

The bike was mid-pack in quali, 4th in warm-up within three tenths of fastest, and mid-pack in the race fastest laps. It isn't the fastest, but it's not a turd. So we'll can the "turd" talk, thanks.

We heard something similar to what you've said from Kenny jnr when he was at Suzuki in 2003-ish - I think the quote was "I'll use my talent when the bike is better". That is a pretty lame thing to say when you're a professional and compete in a championship where machinery will always be unequal to some degree. You've got to be motivated whatever machinery you're on.

Mind you - we haven't heard that from Ant about Qatar, he's not making any excuses. He held his hand up and said he wasn't confident - fair enough. I've checked the Kawasaki website (http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/) and can't see anything unfair on there from anyone.

It looks like you've misinterpreted Ninjamaster's comments - he is a Westy fan, I can assure you! :)

maxu05
28th March 2008, 13:59
I think things will pick up for the Kwaks, Perhaps Westy will feel more confident in warmer climates, or perhaps in the rain. I think once Hopper is not feeling the pain of the goolies slapping the tank he will start to make his way up the field :D

Roby44
29th March 2008, 02:28
28 Mar 2008
KAWASAKI PILOTS MAKE A STEADY START IN SPAIN
Kawasaki's John Hopkins and Anthony West were disappointed to finish today's free practice at Jerez in 14th and 17th place respectively, after encountering rear traction problems during the two hour-long sessions.
Having missed out on the opportunity for extensive tyre testing during the IRTA test at Jerez, due to the injury he sustained in Phillip Island, Hopkins initially found himself at a disadvantage compared to his factory rivals, all of whom had identified suitable race tyres during their last visit to the 4.423km Circuito de Jerez back in February.
Undeterred, the Anglo-American worked his way through the front and rear tyre combinations available to him, as well as working with his crew to refine the set-up of his Ninja ZX-RR to suit specifically the tyre options selected for this race.
Towards the end of this afternoon's session Hopkins was set to post his fastest lap, and move back into the top ten on the timesheet, until a mistake at the end of the back straight saw him crash without injury. Despite the crash, the 24-year-old Kawasaki pilot is confident that he has a clear direction for tomorrow's practice and qualifying sessions, in which he's determined to improve his grid position for Sunday's 27-lap Spanish Grand Prix.
Team mate, West, continued working to eliminate the issues he's suffered throughout testing and the first race in Qatar, where a lack of stability under braking and rear traction on corner exit is hampering his progress.
The 26-year-old Australian remains focussed and determined that more is to come, as he aims to put the opening round of the season behind him, by working tirelessly with his crew to find a solution to his machine handling problems ahead of the second race of the 2008 season on Sunday.
John Hopkins: 14th - 1'41.519
"The focus today has been on improving the rear grip and we've tried many different tyre combinations. I did have a small crash at the end of the back straight when I started to push; I braked a bit too hard and lost the front but thankfully it hasn't aggravated my injury. Unfortunately we've found that the tyre that is working the best for us is one we've allocated the least of. This is due to us not being able to put many laps in during the test here because of my injury. This is a track I've always enjoyed throughout my Grand Prix career so I'd like to get the Kawasaki working well here; we're making good progress despite starting out with a bit of a disadvantage. Tomorrow we have to continue with working on the rear traction, although we don't have the option to run with our preferred tyre all day, as we need to save some of our allocation for the race."

Anthony West: 17th - 1'42.181
"Although I've come here with a relatively fresh look on things, we're still suffering with the same difficulties we've had during testing. The rear of the bike just isn't sticking well enough, which means we're not getting the drive out of the corners. Today we used a different clutch to see if that would improve the situation but it hasn't worked and we've tried many things, including altering my body position on the bike to improve this. We've also come across corner entry problems here and the bike feels quite nervous when braking. I am determined to find a solution for these problems, as with a bit more grip we have the potential to go much faster."

Juan Martinez: West Crew Chief
"Clearly we are still having the rear traction problems that have plagued us throughout pre-season testing. Now we have tried many different combinations of settings, and Anthony has adapted his riding style to try and get the rear to hook up better out of the turns. But, while we've definitely seen an improvement in this area, today's result shows that we still have some work left to do. From the two practice sessions today, we have identified a couple of key changes that we want to make tonight, again to try and improve the feeling for Anthony. It's a complicated process, but once we eliminate this problem then I'm confident that Anthony will quickly reclaim his rightful position in the top ten."

Practice Times:
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha 1'40.321; 2. Valentino Rossi (46) Fiat Yamaha +0.043; 3. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Tech 3 +0.263; 4. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +0.352; 5. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +0.494; 6. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +0.507; 7. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JIR Team Scott +0.588; 8. James Toseland (GBR) Yamaha Tech 3 +0.707; 9. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +0.836; 10. Alex De Angelis (RSM) Honda Gresini +0.868; 14. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +1.198; 17. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +1.860

30th March 2008, 00:00
I stand by my comment that to me Ant West is an averagely good rider, but that's just my opinion. I understand the frustration of those who feel that a rider they support does not have the best machinery to work with and this year's top six or seven riders aren't going to make it easy for anyone else to join the party that's for sure.

tha_jackal
30th March 2008, 06:27
Ant can have no complaints about support or machinery anymore..

Sure, back in the 250cc privateer days, i could definately understand the frustration and very much sympathised.. I think at the moment, Ant is more frustrated that he can't get the most out of a package that should be reasonably competetive, he is more dissapointed than anyone else right now, i can assure you of that..

He just can't afford to get negative and down on himself, he did very well during his half a season last year, which makes this years poor start all the more confusing..

I just hope he starts getting his head around the ZX-RR and forging a more understanding and productive relationship with his team.. The signs after qualifying are good, despite the grid position and general laptime :s ..

West
#13: 15th – 25 laps – 1'40.088
"The qualifying session has given us some inspiration as we've managed to slash our lap times by a huge amount. I am disappointed not to be further up the grid, and the position isn't quite where we would like to be, but at least we are making progress. The qualifying tyre gave me a lot of confidence as the machine was much more stable, we could turn into the corners better and this enabled us to achieve a reasonable lap time. The rest of the field is within our grasp now and although it's going to be very tough out there tomorrow, I'm looking forward to racing."

Cmon Ant!

maxu05
30th March 2008, 06:37
I think if he just puts his head down, he will start to make some progress. I think if he is doubting himself, he should take a look at the Ducati camp, and realise that he is not the only one that is having this problem, (Stoner being the exception of course).

NinjaMaster
30th March 2008, 06:56
Ant can have no complaints about support or machinery anymore..

Sure, back in the 250cc privateer days, i could definately understand the frustration and very much sympathised.. I think at the moment, Ant is more frustrated that he can't get the most out of a package that should be reasonably competetive, he is more dissapointed than anyone else right now, i can assure you of that..

He just can't afford to get negative and down on himself, he did very well during his half a season last year, which makes this years poor start all the more confusing..

I just hope he starts getting his head around the ZX-RR and forging a more understanding and productive relationship with his team.. The signs after qualifying are good, despite the grid position and general laptime :s ..

West
#13: 15th – 25 laps – 1'40.088
"The qualifying session has given us some inspiration as we've managed to slash our lap times by a huge amount. I am disappointed not to be further up the grid, and the position isn't quite where we would like to be, but at least we are making progress. The qualifying tyre gave me a lot of confidence as the machine was much more stable, we could turn into the corners better and this enabled us to achieve a reasonable lap time. The rest of the field is within our grasp now and although it's going to be very tough out there tomorrow, I'm looking forward to racing."

Cmon Ant!
Spot on Jake. He and the team just need to be able to get their collective heads around how to get him comfortable and confident on the bike so he can start matching Hopkins output. Hopefully improvement here and heading to some more Bridgestone friendly tracks will see that happen.

Roby44
30th March 2008, 22:37
30 Mar 2008
SUN SHINES ON KAWASAKI AT JEREZ
The Spanish Grand Prix was held today at the Andalucian circuit of Jerez and both Kawasaki Racing Team riders, John Hopkins and Anthony West, showed off their skill and determination by managing seventh and 13th positions respectively.
After a solid start from the third row of the grid, Hopkins was right in the thick of the action near the front of the field. Soon however, eventual race-winner, Dani Pedrosa, took off with a small selection of riders, leaving the #21 racer in an impressive group which stayed virtually intact until the end of the 27 lap event.
Showing no sign of pain from his groin injury and steering his Ninja ZX-RR expertly around the complex, 4.423km circuit, Hopkins battled to the last, seeing off Shinya Nakano and former Suzuki team mate, Chris Vermeulen, in the process. In a nail-biting finale, there was a last corner scrap for places with Loris Capirossi, James Toseland, and Andrea Dovizioso, and a delighted Kawasaki squad looked on as Hopkins got seventh spot, bringing his points total after two races to 13 and putting him ninth in the championship.
Further down the field, Anthony West was engaged in a race-long battle with Marco Melandri and Alex de Angelis. The 27-year-old Australian had also managed a good start, soon finding himself in 13th place after rising two positions during the first lap. By the end of lap three, he had progressed to 11th but lost that to 2007 world champion, Casey Stoner, who was having to catch up with the field after a an earlier error had forced him off the track.
West was then overtaken by Marco Melandri and the two diced for the rest of the race with West finally missing out on 12th but, like his team mate, he fought until the end, holding off a last gasp attempt to overtake him by de Angelis.
The Kawasaki Racing Team will now undertake further testing at Jerez before the championship continues on 13th April at Estoril, Portugal.
John Hopkins: #21 – 7th
'We took a gamble on the race tyre we used today as we've only completed two timed laps on it previously and, thankfully, we made a good decision. I got a good start to the race but went backwards a few places on lap one. I was pushing hard to make a pass on lap four when I made a mistake and lost a few positions, so I gritted my teeth and pushed hard to stay with the group in front. I was riding consistently throughout the race but, by the time the last lap arrived, I was sliding quite a lot on the rear tyre. I was right with Toseland and Dovizioso when they had a coming together in the final part of the race, which left the door open for me to make up another position. Although I'm pleased with the result, we still have a lot of work to do. My injury is feeling much better and now we have some test time so can continue the process of getting the Kawasaki to the top of the field.'

Anthony West: #13 – 13th
'I gave it my all today and to be honest it was hard work. The result is a big improvement since the last round, although we're still struggling with a lack of rear traction. I got a good start to the race and I was trying to be as smooth as possible but, once the tyre went off, this became quite difficult. During my battle with Melandri, I felt much faster than him and I easily re-passed him on a few occasions. He managed to pass me in the last few laps and, despite pushing really hard, I just didn't have enough grip to get by him again. The front end of the bike felt good, entry and mid corner I was a lot faster than everyone else, but we're losing a lot of time in the exit of some corners so that is the area we need to focus on. Hopefully, with the test time we have, we can make another step forward before reaching Estoril.'

'I am happy with the result today: both riders rode very hard and we have achieved much better positions than last time out. John is still not completely comfortable on the bike with his injury but both he and Anthony were fighting right until the end of the race. Jerez is not one of our favourite circuits, as we've struggled here in the past, but we have to work hard to try and improve even further before the next round. We now have some test time in the next two days where John will try some front tyre options and he will also be given the opportunity to ride the 'screamer' machine. Anthony and our test rider, Olivier Jacque, have similar riding styles so they will work together to try and find a better base setting to race with.'

MotoGP Race Result:
1. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team 45'35.121; 2. Valentino Rossi (46) Fiat Yamaha +2.883; 3. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha +4.339; 4. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +10.142; 5. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +27.524; 6. James Toseland (GBR) Yamaha Tech 3 +27.808; 7. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +28.296; 8. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JIR Team Scott +28.449; 9. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Honda Gresini +32.569; 10. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +35.091; 11. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +42.223; 12. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro Team +44.498; 13. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +45.807

maxu05
31st March 2008, 04:46
Lot's of info there Roby :up: Did you type that or paste it ? It would take me too long to type all that, and it would drive me crazy. Cheers to you, have a Bundy on me :D Are you a Kawasaki fan ?

tha_jackal
31st March 2008, 08:37
Just visit http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com John, all the info you need is right there ;)

maxu05
31st March 2008, 16:41
Cheers Jake :up:

jim mcglinchey
31st March 2008, 18:32
Just visit http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com John, all the info you need is right there ;)

I thought the race review sounded a bit partisan.

Roby44
31st March 2008, 21:59
Lot's of info there Roby :up: Did you type that or paste it ? It would take me too long to type all that, and it would drive me crazy. Cheers to you, have a Bundy on me :D Are you a Kawasaki fan ?

No typing for me!! I'd miss too much as I type with 2 fingers!! Copy and paste, for me!! But as The Jackal says the Kawasaki site is very good and it has lots of nice pictures there too. But I'll have that Bundy no worries at all. Got to get in now before they start to reduce the alcohol levels!! But thats another story!!

Not that much of a Kawasaki fan , but an Ant West fan..

tha_jackal
5th April 2008, 04:15
http://www.racing-green-magazine.com

Bit of an online innovation by Kawasaki. An online mag with really good indepth interviews with Ant and also Johnny Hopper..

maxu05
5th April 2008, 07:25
Good stuff, thanks mate :up:

Roby44
5th April 2008, 07:56
Don't bother about entering the competition though!! :rolleyes:

"Cos I'm going to win that!!! ;)

maxu05
5th April 2008, 11:33
Good luck :D

Roby44
9th April 2008, 11:33
Ant and The King..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/AntKing.jpg

Roby44
9th April 2008, 11:34
07 Apr 2008
KAWASAKI PAIR PREPARED FOR PORTUGAL
Round three of the 2008 MotoGP World Championship takes place at Estoril this weekend and will see the premier class teams gather on Sunday for a demanding, 28-lap race.
After the historic night race at Qatar, followed by the recent battle at Jerez, the Portuguese Grand Prix should prove another thrilling event, held at the notoriously difficult 4.182km circuit.
Kawasaki's John Hopkins is looking forward to it. With his fitness steadily approaching 100% after his crash at Phillip Island in January, the Anglo-American is looking stronger than ever and feels he can tackle Estoril with relish after finishing a healthy seventh in Spain last month.
Furthermore, an extra day's testing at Jerez, after the race, proved highly productive as the 24-year-old continues to perfect adjustments to the Ninja ZX-RR to suit his fast, aggressive riding style. With his engineers concentrating on gearing and suspension settings to accommodate Estoril's numerous, tough corners, heavy braking will be the order of the day and the crew has been aiming to maximise stability to deal with the arduous race.
Hopkins' team mate, Anthony West, looked stronger at Jerez than he has for a while and his raised confidence, both in himself and the ZX-RR, showed his fighting spirit is far from on the wane. The 27-year old Australian fought hard and is now keen to see what he can pull out of the hat at Estoril.
Last year, West's first MotoGP outing at the circuit proved tricky. The track is notoriously hard on tyres and his traction suffered. However, he still managed to finish 12th after qualifying in 16th.
Estoril is one of the slowest tracks in the MotoGP calendar but it nonetheless represents a huge challenge to the premier class riders as it snakes its way through 13 corners, including numerous hairpins and a very nasty chicane near its northern parameters. Then there's the famous long, stretched-out, tyre-eating Parabolica, which sees the bikes at maximum lean for what must seem like an eternity before they get on the gas for the 986m start finish straight. There, spectators can regularly see the bikes reach speeds of up to 320kmh so there's plenty of guaranteed entertainment value.
Built in 1972, the circuit, close to Portugal's Atlantic coast and not far from capital city, Lisbon, hosted its first MotoGP round in 2000 and has witnessed some of the closest racing in the championship's history.
Last year's race was won by Valentino Rossi, who provided edge-of-your-seat action with Spaniard, Dani Pedrosa, as the two diced for the front. Rossi's victory was particularly significant for Casey Stoner, whose crowning as the 2007 MotoGP World Champion had to wait another week, until after the Japanese Grand Prix at Motegi.
With both Kawasaki Racing Team riders so evidently raring to go, and the ZX-RR looking even better than ever, who knows what Sunday will bring…
John Hopkins: Kawasaki MotoGP Pilot #21
'I'm feeling really positive for the weekend. I like Estoril. The tight corners require a lot of heavy braking, which should really suit my riding style as well as suiting the Kawasaki machine. It's good because nobody's had much testing time there, so it's kind of an even field, and I enjoy the atmosphere there too. I felt a lot better after Jerez than I did after Qatar. We got a positive result and made some good improvements to the bike so hopefully we can utilise those in Portugal. So, I'm excited about going there and I'm really looking forward to the race.'

'I'm feeling a bit more upbeat now. My result at Jerez, and my feeling on the bike, were much better than at Qatar so I'm feeling better prepared now to tackle the next race with a bit more confidence. Also, my fitness levels are still going up and I'm finding it much easier to go the full race distance without backing off. I'm more consistent now and that's reflected in my lap times. Estoril is a good track to ride. It's got a very long straight and the rest is made up of tighter sections; some of them really tight. It's always going to be hard getting a MotoGP bike around there and last year, rear grip was a problem for me. Mind you, we played around with the ZX-RR's settings at Jerez, after the recent Spanish GP, and made some real improvements. Overall it was much better so I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do at the weekend.'

Mach24
12th April 2008, 12:17
Westy must already know his days are numbered:

Kawasaki say they plan to approach Valentino Rossi in the next month with a view to signing him to a 2009 deal.

Rossi's Yamaha contract expires at the end of this season, and Kawasaki team boss Michael Bartholemy has declared his interest in enticing the five-time MotoGP champion to Kawasaki.

"We are interested in Valentino, even though I've never spoken either to him or his manager," Bartholemy told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"But I'd like to and soon, because this would be the perfect time. Our first two races didn't go well. So Shanghai could be the right place."

Kawasaki have made a low-key start to 2008, with John Hopkins's seventh place at Jerez their best result in the opening two races.

But Bartholemy believes their form has been hidden as Hopkins recovered from a pre-season injury.

"We are improving," he insisted. "We haven't demonstrated that in the first two races as a consequence of Hopkins's injury in Phillip Island testing. But we are convinced we have a good bike and that future developments will make it even better.

"To hire Rossi would put more pressure on us, because you can't have a rider like Valentino and end up 15th. The Rossi-Hopkins pairing would be perfect."

Rossi was open-minded about the possibility of Kawasaki talks.

"It's true, I've never spoken with Kawasaki," he told Gazzetta. "It will depend on what they offer me."

Bartholemy expects Kawasaki to enjoy significantly larger resources next season.

"I'd like to field a third official bike," he said. "Our budget should rise by at least five million euros. If the objectives get bigger, then it becomes easier to convince the management to invest."

Should Rossi decline Kawasaki's offer, Bartholemy said impressive rookie Andrea Dovizioso - currently riding for JiR Scot Honda - and 250cc rider Alvaro Bautista were on the team's shortlist.

"I'm thinking of three other riders, including two very young ones, one of which is already in MotoGP," he said.

"(Dovizioso) is a fine rider and he's very intelligent. I like him.

"I had already suggested (Bautista) in 2006 after Motegi, when (Shinya) Nakano announced his retirement. Back then the top management didn't believe in him. They regret that."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66577

T-D
12th April 2008, 14:31
yeah, it looks like kwak are moving on. i think ant will be fine, though. he'll certainly excel at wsbk, which i'd expect him to pursue rather than try to soldier on in the back of the motogp grid.

osg
12th April 2008, 14:38
Westy must already know his days are numbered:

Kawasaki say they plan to approach Valentino Rossi in the next month with a view to signing him to a 2009 deal.

Rossi's Yamaha contract expires at the end of this season, and Kawasaki team boss Michael Bartholemy has declared his interest in enticing the five-time MotoGP champion to Kawasaki.

"We are interested in Valentino, even though I've never spoken either to him or his manager," Bartholemy told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"But I'd like to and soon, because this would be the perfect time. Our first two races didn't go well. So Shanghai could be the right place."

Kawasaki have made a low-key start to 2008, with John Hopkins's seventh place at Jerez their best result in the opening two races.

But Bartholemy believes their form has been hidden as Hopkins recovered from a pre-season injury.

"We are improving," he insisted. "We haven't demonstrated that in the first two races as a consequence of Hopkins's injury in Phillip Island testing. But we are convinced we have a good bike and that future developments will make it even better.

"To hire Rossi would put more pressure on us, because you can't have a rider like Valentino and end up 15th. The Rossi-Hopkins pairing would be perfect."

Rossi was open-minded about the possibility of Kawasaki talks.

"It's true, I've never spoken with Kawasaki," he told Gazzetta. "It will depend on what they offer me."

Bartholemy expects Kawasaki to enjoy significantly larger resources next season.

"I'd like to field a third official bike," he said. "Our budget should rise by at least five million euros. If the objectives get bigger, then it becomes easier to convince the management to invest."

Should Rossi decline Kawasaki's offer, Bartholemy said impressive rookie Andrea Dovizioso - currently riding for JiR Scot Honda - and 250cc rider Alvaro Bautista were on the team's shortlist.

"I'm thinking of three other riders, including two very young ones, one of which is already in MotoGP," he said.

"(Dovizioso) is a fine rider and he's very intelligent. I like him.

"I had already suggested (Bautista) in 2006 after Motegi, when (Shinya) Nakano announced his retirement. Back then the top management didn't believe in him. They regret that."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66577

i was predicting this from the time Kwak announced Ant's signing for 12 months only.... and was laughed out of the building.............. i feel sort of vindicated now.

NinjaMaster
12th April 2008, 15:02
i was predicting this from the time Kwak announced Ant's signing for 12 months only.... and was laughed out of the building.............. i feel sort of vindicated now.
By whom?

Kwak making a play for Rossi is a real longshot in my opinion. Rossi has always maintained his desire to stay with Yamaha so long as they are competitive and the Yam is the best bike on the grid at the moment, maybe equalled by the Honda. Ducati, Kwak and Zook are all fairly similar.

West was always going to have to really perform well to stay in MotoGP. Whilst I won't quite right him off yet, somehow he has to find a heap of speed so he can be challenging Hopkins. His ride isn't lost yet if they field 3 bikes next year but it is if current form continues.

Just as a side note, I suggested Kwak should have made a big play for Dovi for this year. I think they missed the boat with that one as I reckon he will take Hayden's spot at Repsol and Bautista and Kallio will be next on team greens shopping list along with Nicky.

osg
12th April 2008, 22:37
By whom?

Kwak making a play for Rossi is a real longshot in my opinion. Rossi has always maintained his desire to stay with Yamaha so long as they are competitive and the Yam is the best bike on the grid at the moment, maybe equalled by the Honda. Ducati, Kwak and Zook are all fairly similar.

West was always going to have to really perform well to stay in MotoGP. Whilst I won't quite right him off yet, somehow he has to find a heap of speed so he can be challenging Hopkins. His ride isn't lost yet if they field 3 bikes next year but it is if current form continues.

Just as a side note, I suggested Kwak should have made a big play for Dovi for this year. I think they missed the boat with that one as I reckon he will take Hayden's spot at Repsol and Bautista and Kallio will be next on team greens shopping list along with Nicky.

oh no ninja.... no one on here, on another forum that i frequent that isn't solely motorsport related...... it' more the fact that it's being reported more than it being set in stone that i'm saying i feel vindicated about.

The thing with Vale looking at Kwak ultimately rests with how impressive this season is with Yamaha. At the moment Kwak is a long shot the way the M1 is going.

I totally agree with the alternates........ Bautista has to be the main goal IMHO.

Pantah Jack
14th April 2008, 10:55
Ant and The King..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/MareeBrooks/AntKing.jpg

Shouldn't that be "The KING and I" ...haha, sorry

Roby44
14th April 2008, 11:12
Probably but Ant gets top billing in my book.

The King looks impressed to be meeting Ant..

jim mcglinchey
14th April 2008, 11:53
Thank God for Ant...hes making my guys at Suzuki look good!

NinjaMaster
14th April 2008, 12:30
Thank God for Ant...hes making my guys at Suzuki look good!
Appears Hopkins made the right move...just wait til Ant finds form too. :up:

Roby44
15th April 2008, 11:01
He'll find it sooner rather than later too...

Roby44
15th April 2008, 11:02
13 Apr 2008
HOPKINS ON A HIGH AFTER ESTORIL
The Portuguese Grand Prix took place today at Estoril and Kawasaki rider, John Hopkins, claimed his best ever finish at the circuit. The 24-year-old Anglo American rode over the line in fifth position after 28 laps, giving him his first top five position at Estoril, which is famously hard on bikes, riders and tyres.
However, Hopkins, his Ninja ZX-RR and the Bridgestone rubber he was running, all held up against the violent assault of the gruelling race. His ride also provided him with his best finish so far since joining Kawasaki, beating his previous highest placing, a seventh, at Jerez last month.
Meanwhile, team mate Anthony West, fared less well, passing the chequered flag in a disappointing 16th position after struggling to find his form. He will now aim to up his game and claim some much-needed points in the forthcoming rounds after further testing at Estoril tomorrow.
The next race is at Shanghai in two weeks' time. It will be Hopkins' centenary round in MotoGP so with that to celebrate, and buoyed by today's excellent result, he will no doubt be looking to emulate his podium finish at the Chinese circuit last year. But on a green bike this time!
John Hopkins: 5th Position
"I'm really pleased as my aim was for a top five finish today. I got a really good start and the first lap was quite frantic as I went around the outside of a few riders, before settling into a rhythm with the leading pack. There was a bit of rain to contend with in the opening laps and I made some small mistakes, which caused me to drop back a little. Around halfway, the grip level dropped but I raced as hard as possible as Casey Stoner was closing the gap between us. Our main area to improve on is qualifying, as we keep giving ourselves a lot of work to do in the race by having a poor grid position. I'm looking forward to Shanghai: the Kawasaki will be better suited to it and we can hopefully achieve an even stronger result there."

Anthony West: 16th Position
"What can I say about today that the result doesn't already say for me? It would be easy to say I'm disappointed but, if I'm completely honest, the main feeling is one of intense frustration. I just can't seem to get the bike to work for me; all weekend it's felt nervous and it's constantly moving around. I can ride round the problems on the straights and into the turns but I'm losing massive amounts of time on the exit, where the bike feels like it's going to throw me off if I so much as touch the throttle. John doesn't seem to have the same problem, which just makes it doubly frustrating. We'll aim to find a solution during testing tomorrow, because I'm not here to run around at the back of the field."

"To finish fifth here is superb as Estoril is not a place we've been particularly strong at in the past. John rode a fantastic race and he was also the second Bridgestone rider to cross the line. Now I hope we can continue to move forward at the next race, where the track is more suited to our Ninja ZX-RR and our Bridgestone tyres. I had hoped for a better result from Anthony. Normally he's able to turn it on in the race and improve on both his practice and qualifying performance, but it just didn't happen for him today. We need to find the root cause of his problems, and then come up with a solution, because the current situation isn't good for him and it isn't good for Kawasaki."

MotoGP Race Result:
1. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha 45'53.089; 2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +1.817; 3. Valentino Rossi (46) Fiat Yamaha +12.723; 4. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Tech 3 +17.223; 5. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +23.752; 6. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +26.688; 7. James Toseland (GBR) Yamaha Tech 3 +32.631; 8. Chris Vermeulen (AUS) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +36.382; 9. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +38.268; 10. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Honda Gresini +1'01.306; 16. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +1'23.629

Roby44
15th April 2008, 11:04
14 Apr 2008
FURTHER IMPROVEMENTS FOR KAWASAKI
Following a superb fifth place finish for John Hopkins yesterday at Estoril, the Kawasaki Racing Team concluded today's post-race test with more positive results. Both Hopkins and Anthony West improved on their race lap times, whilst making further set-up enhancements to their Ninja ZX-RR machines.
Having achieved his best result so far for Kawasaki yesterday, Hopkins worked closely with Bridgestone to evaluate a series of rear tyre options. The 24-year-old improved his race pace around the 4.182km circuit using a new specification rear tyre, which he felt made a big difference to the handling of his machine.
Hopkins also refined the set-up of the chassis that was introduced to the racetrack for the first time in Friday's practice session, and concluded his test with a few practice starts. The Anglo-American is confident of a good result at the next round in China, where he achieved his first MotoGP podium last year.
West returned to the track today determined to improve his pace after his disappointment with yesterday's race result. The Australian rider and his crew made some alterations to his machine's base setting and this was successful in helping the 26-year-old to regain his feeling for the bike.
West also tested a new rear tyre option that somewhat improved the manoeuvrability of his Kawasaki, as it provided a much smoother corner entry and more rear traction, which boosted the Australian's confidence in both himself and his Ninja ZX-RR after such a difficult weekend.
After completing 96 laps of the Estoril circuit today West now heads to America to continue his training ahead of round four of the MotoGP championship, which takes place at the Shanghai circuit in just over two weeks time.
John Hopkins: #21: 62 Laps - 1:36.872
"Today has been useful as we've made another step forward with our race set-up. We worked closely with Bridgestone to test a lot of rear tyre options, one of which worked particularly well for us. I hope that they will be able to provide us with this specification for Shanghai as I really feel it will make a big difference to our race pace. We've also made some alterations to the chassis, which has improved the rear traction of the machine. Every time I get on board the Kawasaki it seems to get better and better, so I hope we can achieve another great result at the next round."

Anthony West: #13: 96 Laps - 1:39.065
"Following yesterday's result, I was keen to get out on the bike today to try and improve our lap times. We altered some of the machine's base settings and this enabled me to lap more consistently than during the race weekend. Although the times weren't a vast improvement, I felt that I could be much smoother through the turns and I had more confidence to push harder, even after 17 or so laps. Bridgestone gave us two tyre options to test, one of which felt particularly good and I hope we'll be able to use this in Shanghai. The next round should be much more suited to the Kawasaki, and I really want to improve my results there."

Naoya Kaneko: Kawasaki Technical Manager
"In today's test we ran through a lot of tyre options supplied by Bridgestone. This proved positive, with both riders finding improvements with a race tyre specification. With John's machine we tested various chassis, clutch and electronic components. All of these items have shown good results, but some of the components need developing further before being used in a race situation. With Anthony we concentrated on his base set-up, as he never really felt comfortable on the bike during the race weekend. Our aim was to give him more confidence on the bike and we certainly made a step forward with this, with Anthony's lap times improving today. We leave this event with some new parts for Shanghai and many plus points from the test, so I am happy overall."

maxu05
15th April 2008, 13:02
Thanks for the post Roby. I get more info about the Green Machine here, than anywhere else :up:

jim mcglinchey
15th April 2008, 16:05
"We are looking for riders who can get results. Thats the most important thing.." Michael Bartholemyof Kwak.

Has anyone told Ant West that ? heh heh.

Pantah Jack
16th April 2008, 02:14
Thanks for the post Roby. I get more info about the Green Machine here, than anywhere else :up:

Check out http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com for all the latest

also http://www.antwest13.com

We try and keep that updated with news and pics depending on how busy Ant's web manager is. Should have new Ant West merchandise up on his web site soon. Just waiting for new shirts to arrive.

Great to see Ant still upbeat even with his results thus far. His comment to Georgie Porgie (who has Bracksys gig) just before he went out on track for Estoril race when asked if he had any plans for the race " will just have to take out a few guys in front of me haha "

Cheers Jack

Roby44
16th April 2008, 11:11
New shirts!!!

Are they purple!!! :)

maxu05
16th April 2008, 13:13
I think Westy has to start being Westy again. Head down, ass up, and get stuck into it. Westy rode the Knackers off many a piece of junk, and got results that shouldn't have been possible. Now, he must do that again, and prove the critics wrong. Get into it Westy, what are ya waiting for.

neninja
16th April 2008, 14:21
I like Ant and his attitude but can't help but feel either his style doesn't suit the bigger capacity bikes or he's simply now out of his depth.

His still not totally fit team mate is consistently 2 seconds a lap faster.

Some difficult decisions will need to be made at Kawasaki if he doesn't improve. With Kawasaki only running 2 bikes they need to ensure that both get decent results and both contribute to testing. It's somewhat one sided at present.

leopard
17th April 2008, 10:48
New shirts!!!

Are they purple!!! :)

No, pink. I think you'd love it! :)

fatman
17th April 2008, 12:57
I don't see how Ant is bringing anything more to the table than OJ was bringing. Perhaps even less as OJ is at least an experienced testing rider. They kept OJ for a full half season.

Problem is, who could Kawa possibly replace him with?

tha_jackal
17th April 2008, 13:26
Ant made OJ's results last year look like crap.. And he's showed him up in every test theyve both been in this year.. So pull your head in mate :)

NinjaMaster
17th April 2008, 13:45
I reckon a lot of people are really jumping the gun about rider sackings/replacements after only 3 rounds. If these results continue until the halfway mark of the season and a better replacement can be found then it should be a consideration. Given the way Bridgestone runners as a whole have generally struggled, I am confident that Ant and Marco will both have improved results in the next few races.

Roby44
17th April 2008, 22:01
I reckon a lot of people are really jumping the gun about rider sackings/replacements after only 3 rounds. If these results continue until the halfway mark of the season and a better replacement can be found then it should be a consideration. Given the way Bridgestone runners as a whole have generally struggled, I am confident that Ant and Marco will both have improved results in the next few races.

ISo true......ts only early days yet!!! :ninja: :idea: :wave:

JETFX...
19th April 2008, 10:07
Could not agree more :s mokin:

Pantah Jack
21st April 2008, 07:04
20 Apr 2008
RIDER DIARY: ANTHONY WEST
I felt about as upbeat as I could have after the race in Jerez; the second round. I managed 13th position, and three points, so I wasn't exactly celebrating but, at the same time, at least it was better than the 16th I got at Qatar.
And in Spain I had a bit of a battle going on. I fought with Melandri and de Angelis and it went on right until the end of the race, so it was more of a fight than the race at Losail, where I had traction problems and couldn't keep up.
We stayed on for a day's testing at Jerez and I had a go on the 'screamer' bike. Its engine has an even firing order, unlike the one in our current bike, and Olivier Jacque has been developing it with the Kawasaki test team and the guys in Japan. It was really smooth. It sounds scarier than it really is when you ride it but that big wail you get from it is pretty cool and it's surprisingly nice to ride. The power delivery's smooth and it's easy to control so I can't wait for the engineers to do some more work on it… Then maybe we can race it. I only got 15 laps on it but in those laps I was already as fast as I had been on the normal ZX-RR; so that's a good sign. Especially as we hadn't even spent much time setting it up for me.
I can't wait until it's ready for us to take it to a race.
The team's just left Estoril after what was another bad result for me. I came last and obviously I'm not feeling too happy about that. For a while, things were going okay, and I was fighting with Melandri, Guintoli and Elias, but then my brake lever started playing up and I lost a lot of time at the end of the start finish straight when it came right back to the bar! You really don't need that happening at the best of times but that corner is real harsh. From then on, I was fighting with it.
The following day, we had another test and made some further changes to the bike's set up, as well as trying out some tyre options with Bridgestone. Immediately, I was going faster than I had over the weekend and I felt loads more confident. That's great but obviously it's kind of frustrating too, as I wish I'd felt that good during the race. Still, at least the changes are good and the next round is in Shanghai, which is a fast, flowing track and, apparently, better suited to our machine, so I'm aiming to do a hell of a lot better there…
The personal life is pretty mad at the moment too. My PA, Ben, and I have just moved from the basement in our building to the apartment on the top floor, giving us a load more space, which is great. I even bought at TV and a couch. We crashed out and watched Rambo 4 recently and it was fantastic; it felt like a real home!
But now I'm going to LA, straight from Portugal, for two weeks' cycling with John Hopkins' trainer, Johnny Louch, and I'll fly to China straight from there, so I won't get home. What's more, Michael, our competition manager at Kawasaki, has suggested I move to Belgium, which is a bit nearer the centre of the action as far as our team is concerned, as we're based in the Netherlands (and Michael lives nearby so he can keep an eye on me!). So while I'm away, Ben's going back to Austria to pack the stuff we've just spent a week carrying up three flights of stairs and, by the time I get back to Europe after the Shanghai round, I'll be living in Belgium.
This isn't the game to be in if a stable and predictable home life is your thing! Still, I'm sure it'll work out well. To be honest, I'm more worried about the Lycra cycling gear I'm going to have to wear in America …

Pantah Jack
21st April 2008, 07:06

No sack everyone lower than 10th in the standings. I will take Marco's Duc. Any other bids for the other rides :)

tha_jackal
21st April 2008, 09:15
Good to hear from Ant, despite the negatives as of late, glad he's keeping up-beat.. Hope he can get things sorted from Shanghai and beyond..

NinjaMaster
21st April 2008, 11:03
No sack everyone lower than 10th in the standings. I will take Marco's Duc. Any other bids for the other rides :)
I'll take Ant's. I bleed green, which you would more than likely see if I ever got to ride a MotoGP machine. :eek:

Roby44
21st April 2008, 11:07
I'll take Ant's. I bleed green, which you would more than likely see if I ever got to ride a MotoGP machine. :eek:

Surely all that leather etc would stem the flow!! :p

Pantah Jack
24th April 2008, 05:54
Following on from Ducati's proposal to bring in Biaggi and Bayliss, Kawasaki have proposed having Kork Ballington test Ant's Kwaka to give some valuable input ;)

NinjaMaster
24th April 2008, 11:35
Following on from Ducati's proposal to bring in Biaggi and Bayliss, Kawasaki have proposed having Kork Ballington test Ant's Kwaka to give some valuable input ;)
:laugh:
Perhaps Robbie Phillis as well for his 4-stroke experience! :rotflmao:

maxu05
24th April 2008, 12:08
As long as Ducati don't call up Fogerty or Hodgson :D OK

racer69
29th April 2008, 07:56
As long as Ducati don't call up Fogerty or Hodgson :D OK

Nah they'll be after Roche or Polen, but only because Lucchinelli turned them down ;)

Pantah Jack
1st May 2008, 01:41
Perhaps the other option for Ducati is to use their 2 up machine and stick Randy on the back so he can direction. he could also ensure the extension of front tyre life as it would never be on the deck :)

Anyways heres to a ferkin great result form the Green Ant. Have checked the weather forecast and there is a 90% chance of rain on Sunday.... and the weather man is always right.

I have been checking out some of Ants "crashes" in 2008 and they all look really bizarre. Front end loses and low speed "high sides". What the ? No wonder he has bugger all confidence in the thing

NinjaMaster
1st May 2008, 11:11
I'm actually pretty confident (not sure why) that Ant will have a much improved performance this weekend regardless of weather. I think that Shanghai being hopefully a more Bridgestone friendly track than the previous three rounds and also that Kawasaki are confident the Chinese circuit suits their bikes perhaps fuel this optimism. This is also why I'm rating Hopkins as a real dark horse for a podium this round.

Roby44
3rd May 2008, 02:42
Hopper was 3rd last year in this race so he will no doubt bein the mix.

Hopefully Ant can pull it all together and be in there too..

Roby44
3rd May 2008, 03:00
02 May 2008
PROMISING START FOR KAWASAKI IN CHINA
The Grand Prix of China began today with the first two practice sessions of the weekend. In perfect warm, dry conditions, the premier class field headed out onto the 5.281km circuit at Shanghai with Kawasaki riders, John Hopkins and Anthony West, aboard their Bridgestone-shod Ninja ZX-RRs.
The 24-year-old Hopkins who, on starting Sunday's race, will become the youngest ever rider to achieve the landmark of partaking in 100 MotoGP rounds, came fifth fastest in both sessions, improving his times in the afternoon with a best lap of 2'00.591. Just over half a second off the leader, the Anglo-American is looking strong at the track, which boasts a fast, sweeping layout, well suited to the Kawasaki machine.
Meanwhile, West put his best lap in during the morning practice, with a time of 2'01.984 and a staggering top speed of 320.0kmh. The 27-year-old Australian was one of a number of riders, including pack-leader Valentino Rossi, whose early times were their strongest of the day and, as the Kawasaki squad experimented with settings on the ZX-RR, West's position on combined times was 15th in the group.
Practice continues tomorrow morning, followed by the qualifying session in the afternoon, at 13.55 hours, local time, prior to Sunday's 22-lap race.
John Hopkins: #21: 5th - 28 Laps – 2'00.591
'Today we worked on setting up the machine to suit my preferences around this circuit. I really like this track and I've always gone quite well here. In the afternoon session we tried a few different Bridgestone tyre combinations to find a choice that will last the distance on Sunday. We also evaluated various parts and we've finished practice very positively. I'm feeling confident and tomorrow we need to qualify well to put us in the best possible stead for the race.'

Anthony West: #13: 15th - 39 Laps – 2'01.984
'Although the times are not brilliant, we are making some progress and our fastest laps have been in the closing stages of each session. Hopefully, this means there is more to come, and we can continue going faster. Our biggest problem is with the power delivery and corner exit, where I feel we are losing a lot of time due to a lack of traction. Tonight we will review the data and try to find a solution to continue moving forwards.'

Naoya Kaneko: Kawasaki Technical Manager
'In practice today we've been working on our Shanghai race set-up. We haven't needed to make many changes for John from the last round at Estoril, so we've just been optimising the base setting we already have. We are not that far from the front but we need to improve the machine performance a little to be with the leaders. Anthony is slowly regaining his confidence and although his lap times are not quite where he needs to be, he is moving forwards. We will look at the data overnight and see which areas he needs to improve on tomorrow.'

Practice Times:
1. Valentino Rossi (46) Fiat Yamaha 1'59.906; 2. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +0.257; 3. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +0.455; 4. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Honda Gresini +0.647; 5. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +0.685; 6. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +0.701; 7. Alex De Angelis (RSM) Honda Gresini +1.025; 8. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +1.058; 9. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA) JIR Team Scott +1.068; 10. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Tech 3 +1.158; 15. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +2.078

Mach24
4th May 2008, 09:44
Just wanted to say, if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all.

So I am going to say nothing!

Roby44
4th May 2008, 10:11
Ant wasn't the only Kawasaki rider having dramas today!!

Roby44
4th May 2008, 11:55
04 May 2008
TRICKY CONDITIONS HAMPER KAWASAKI IN SHANGHAI
Kawasaki's John Hopkins and Anthony West were left frustrated today, after rear traction problems left them unable to fulfil their true potential in this afternoon's 22-lap Chinese Grand Prix. Hopkins finished a difficult race in 14th position, with West crossing the line a further 20 seconds back in 17th place.
After qualifying on the fifth row of the grid yesterday, Hopkins was quick to make up places from the start of today's race. The Anglo-American put himself in touch with the leaders, including eventual race winner Valentino Rossi, by riding around the outside of the field at turn one. Unfortunately, Hopkins had it all to do again after a coming together with Alex de Angelis forced him to run on at the end of the main straight, and left him nursing a painful puncture wound after catching his knee on his own foot peg.
Rear traction problems hampered the 24-year-old Kawasaki pilot's attempts to work his way back through the field, but his persistence and determination were rewarded with two valuable championship points, as he fought his way up to 14th place by race end.
The main straight also caused problems for West, who was passed by his teammate after running off the track early on in the race. Like Hopkins, the 27-year-old Australian was frustrated by a lack of rear grip from the start of the race, but he also identified a lack of front-end grip under braking as being a major factor in his disappointing result.
With both riders having declared themselves satisfied with the performance of their Ninja ZX-RR machines in race trim and on race tyres yesterday, the reason for such an unexpected deterioration in rear traction was not immediately apparent. Kawasaki's engineers will now look to the data to identify the problem ahead of the next race, which takes place at Le Mans in just two weeks time.
John Hopkins: #21 - 14th
"We went out in the wet warm-up session this morning with high hopes of a good result in the rain or dry today. By the time we got to the race, the circuit had started to dry out and we had to make a decision on tyre choice, which maybe wasn't the best. I struggled right from the start with rear traction problems, and I pushed hard to make my way through the field. I made a few mistakes and ran off the track in places, it was a really tough race. I'm very disappointed as it's not the result I wanted for my hundredth Grand Prix, but we must stay focussed and try to make amends at the next round."

Anthony West: #13 - 17th
"I was looking for a better result than this today. The conditions were not ideal as the track was quite slippery after being wet this morning and it gradually dried out during the race. I followed John for a few laps and I think we were both experiencing similar problems with a lack of rear grip. I ran off the track in places because I just couldn't make the bike stick. I'm frustrated, as we need to make headway with these issues we've been having, but I'm determined for us to make a step forwards very soon."

"I am disappointed with the result today as it isn't where I predicted us to be. We are not here to finish in the positions we achieved in the race. Shanghai is a circuit that we've performed quite well at in the past and I felt that we would gain better results here than in the opening rounds of the season. We suffered with rear traction problems in the race and both riders struggled to find grip. Now we have to look forward to Le Mans and everybody must work hard to improve our results there."

MotoGP Race Result:
1. Valentino Rossi (46) Fiat Yamaha 44'08.061; 2. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Repsol Honda Team +3.890; 3. Casey Stoner (AUS) Ducati Marlboro Team +15.928; 4. Jorge Lorenzo (SPA) Fiat Yamaha +22.494; 5. Marco Melandri (ITA) Ducati Marlboro Team +26.957; 6. Nicky Hayden (USA) Repsol Honda Team +28.369; 7. Colin Edwards (USA) Yamaha Tech 3 +29.780; 8. Toni Elias (ITA) Alice d'Antin Ducati +30.225; 9. Loris Capirossi (ITA) Rizla Suzuki MotoGP +31.440; 10. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Honda Gresini +35.969; 14. John Hopkins (USA) Kawasaki Racing Team +45.855; 17. Anthony West (AUS) Kawasaki Racing Team +1'05.593

maxu05
4th May 2008, 12:18
I must say that this time people can't blame Westy for a shocker this time, as Hoppa had a shocker as well, struggling with the same problem as Ant. Come on Kwaka, sort this out and give the boys a fighting chance. I think if Kawasaki want to get serious, they need to have 2 factory bikes and a satelite team as well to speed up development. I think sending the Motogp crew to WSBK to help them out was a bit daft when they can't get their own bike sorted. I am a Kawasaki fan, but I am very frustrated right now.

Roby44
4th May 2008, 12:20
I bet Ant and Hopper are a tad frustrasted :) too!!

NinjaMaster
6th May 2008, 13:14
I must say that this time people can't blame Westy for a shocker this time, as Hoppa had a shocker as well, struggling with the same problem as Ant. Come on Kwaka, sort this out and give the boys a fighting chance. I think if Kawasaki want to get serious, they need to have 2 factory bikes and a satelite team as well to speed up development. I think sending the Motogp crew to WSBK to help them out was a bit daft when they can't get their own bike sorted. I am a Kawasaki fan, but I am very frustrated right now.
West still needs to find something though as after the first encouraging session when he was 11th, he dropped back to his usual spot at the back of the field. Hopkins had quite a fast race pace pretty much all weekend running around 5th to 8th until race day when they took a wrong tack on tires. That is the problem with variable weather conditions, settings and tires become a gamble and the green guys lucked out. Kwak still nedd to improve to win but I reckon they're at least as good or better than Zook and in proper conditions they will be up there.

maxu05
7th May 2008, 02:14
I think the Kwak is just as good as the Zooks as well. I don't think it will be too long before Hoppa sticks it on the podium. Westy will improve, I'm sure, but, I am not holding my breath waiting for a podium from him. I hope I am wrong, but it's not looking too promising right now. Perhaps Westy/Kawasaki should consider the radical setup that Yamaha tried with Edwards for Qualifying in China, perhaps it might work.

mx311
14th May 2008, 05:21
This year has to be pretty tough on Ant, I mean he's finally got what he's always wanted, a factory MotoGP with a good amount of off-season testing (granted he was injured at the time) but it's just not working out for him at all. His new to the team team-mate has got the better of him and he already knows that it's a slim to zero chance that he'll be retained by the team next year (what with Kawasaki having already approached Valentino Rossi and Andrea Dovizioso and rumoured to be approaching Nicky Hayden and Alvaro Bautista). It seems the best Ant can hope for out of season 2008 is to not be fired before Valencia, I mean at the moment the only thing he's got over what Olivier Jacque did last year is that he's still able to ride the bike. :\

Roby44
14th May 2008, 11:39
I hadn't heard that they had approached Andrea Dovizioso!!

Mm ...Makes it difficult as I like both Ant and Dovi as riders....I cheer for both of them and it would be hard if one got outed to make way for the other..

But thats racing isn't it!!

maxu05
14th May 2008, 11:42
Good to see you back Matt :up:
That is a tough call, Ant or Dovi. The heart says Ant, the head says Dovi IMO

NinjaMaster
15th May 2008, 07:07
Whilst I've been a fan of Ant's since he was racing 250 proddies years ago, Dovi was the one that I always thought that Kawasaki should have made a big push for last year. I think they've now missed out on him as a result (I'm expecting him to be elevated to the Repsol team) and I'm still happy that Ant got the chance to ride a good factory bike and hope that he will shortly have a Melandri-like click moment where they can sort the bike out to his liking.

In positive news, the main man at KRT, Michael Bartholemy has thrown his full support behind Westy to at least finish the year out with the team and they have altered the performance criteria for him to retain his ride in 2009. Now this might just sound like PR to deflect unwanted negative attention and rumours about the team but he elaborates further.
"Westy is now a big part of my life because I hate it when people think I might have made a mistake (in chosing West). I will do everything I can to help him perform - I will make him train and be mentally fit to race a MotoGP bike", says Bartholemy. They have arranged for him to move his base from Austria to Belgium, to improve his physical and mental fitness and directed that his manager, Harris Barnett, not attend GP's as his constant minder (for some reason).

Nice to see that Wests team haven't given up on him and neither have I. :up:

T-D
15th May 2008, 15:40
batholomew already blew it by publicly mentioning that they were recruiting dovi for 2009. i know that professional riders are supposed to be super mentally strong, but that bit of news 2 races into the season would crush anyone's confidence.

i think it's al between the ears for ant. no way a rider of Ant's caliber performs WORSE after an entire offseason of testing than he did with almost no testing.

Roby44
15th May 2008, 21:34
Ant needs a

Aussie Aussie Aussie
Oi Oi Oi

To show him that we are all behind him come what may...

NinjaMaster
16th May 2008, 00:45
batholomew already blew it by publicly mentioning that they were recruiting dovi for 2009. i know that professional riders are supposed to be super mentally strong, but that bit of news 2 races into the season would crush anyone's confidence.

i think it's al between the ears for ant. no way a rider of Ant's caliber performs WORSE after an entire offseason of testing than he did with almost no testing.

If I remember rightly, Bartholemy said that Rossi would be their number 1 target to recruit for next year followed by Dovi and Bautista. Whilst he didn't say any of these guys was a definate to ride for them next year, you're right in saying it can't be good for Ant's morale to know that they're already looking at other riders for next year. Having said that though, he also mentioned that they were expecting to run 3 bikes next year so all I assume is that their plans were/are to run Westy on the 3rd bike as the riders listed as targets weren't mentioned as though they would land a few of 'em. At the end of the day, West's goal is quite simple. Ride fast and make it irresistable for KRT to re-sign him.

Ant needs a

Aussie Aussie Aussie
Oi Oi Oi

To show him that we are all behind him come what may...

Perhaps he needs an Ant, Ant, Ant - Oi, Oi, Oi! :D

Pantah Jack
16th May 2008, 08:55
MotGP meets MXGP

Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXWXKh3B-CQ&eurl=http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/press/index.asp?saction=Article&sSection=press&id=1132

Jack

Pantah Jack
16th May 2008, 09:17
14 May 2008
WEST CONQUERS CÔTE DE LA REDOUTE
Kawasaki's Anthony West completed one of the hardest physical challenges he's ever faced on Sunday 11th May, when he cycled the 137km Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff sportive route.
The sportive ride follows the route of "La Doyenne", the oldest classic race on the Pro-Tour cycling calendar, which was won this year by Spaniard Alejandro Valverde. And while the full route is more than 230km in length, the 137km covered by Ant on Sunday took in all of the major climbs that regularly feature in the Pro-Tour race, including the infamous Côte de la Redoute, which reaches a maximum gradient of 20% at it's steepest point.
It was an impressive performance from West, who covered more miles on this one outing than he's ridden since taking up road cycling just three weeks ago. The 26-year-old Aussie completed the course in a time of six hours, which for a novice cyclist was pretty exceptional.
"I only intended to do the 68km route originally, but I thought I might as well carry on after I passed the turn-off for the shorter loop," said West. "I was feeling good on the outward leg of the longer loop, but on the return leg the hills started to take their toll."
"I couldn't believe how steep some of them were, or how long. The Col du Rosier seemed to go on forever, certainly longer than the 4500 metres it mentioned on the route map. But the big one was definitely the Côte de la Redoute, which just appears out of nowhere after 121km. When I turned the corner onto the main part of the climb it was like looking up at a wall!"
Once over the Côte de la Redoute, West had just over five kilometres of downhill in which to recover, before rolling into the picturesque town of Tilff to complete his epic journey.
"At the end I was completely exhausted, but it was a good feeling to actually finish. I guess I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd do it again, although some of the team are threatening to sign me up for the full 237km route next year! It's hard to believe that the majority of the people riding the event were doing it for fun," concluded Kawasaki's answer to Lance Armstrong.
West's PA, Ben Skepper, and Kawasaki's Communications Manager, Ian Wheeler, also completed the event, but both opted for the shorter 68km route.
"I did the longer route last year, but I'd been training for it for months, and I still found it incredibly hard," declared Wheeler. "It's pretty impressive that Ant, who hadn't done more than 100km in total on a road bike before this event, managed to complete the course in such a quick time. I guess it just goes to show that you need a good level of base fitness to ride a MotoGP bike week in, week out."
Completing the Kawasaki line-up at the Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff sportive was the team's sticker and print guru, Dany Haag, who was accompanied on the 137km route by four members of the Helowa Cycling Club, who are based in Eupen, Belgium - where Anthony West now lives during the racing season.

Roby44
16th May 2008, 09:57
He sure does put in the effort doesn't he??

maxu05
16th May 2008, 12:39
Great effort Ant, but, keep it up. If you need some inspiration, just look at Bayliss. I hope this gets him fired up and boosts his confidence.

ChrisS
16th May 2008, 14:15
Ant should give up cycling, its too dangerous.

Bayliss was injured at Assen because he crashed while cycling, Rolfo crashed on his mountain-bike while training and missed Monza, and Broc Parkes was injured at Monza because he crashed his bicycle.

Funny when you think that these guys ride 2 wheel monsters for a living that they crash while riding push-bikes

NinjaMaster
17th May 2008, 02:11
Ant should give up cycling, its too dangerous.

Bayliss was injured at Assen because he crashed while cycling, Rolfo crashed on his mountain-bike while training and missed Monza, and Broc Parkes was injured at Monza because he crashed his bicycle.

Funny when you think that these guys ride 2 wheel monsters for a living that they crash while riding push-bikes
Seems it's a dangerous pasttime. Team Kawasaki Australia rider has missed races in the last few years and the recent tests because of crashing his treadlie. His teammate also missed the test because of a jet-ski incident. I think perhaps they should stick to the excerise bikes.

Roby44
17th May 2008, 02:11
I think one of the commentators last week in Superbikes was saying that too.

It is hard to imagine though isn't it? They spend so much time out there on the track at break neck speeds and "mostly" nothing happens. But put them on pushbikes and .. :confused: