PDA

View Full Version : Viewing a square world rectangularly...

tannat
20th July 2010, 22:06
Our older CRT tv gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and this weekend we purchased one of the new flat screen jobbies, where rather than having a square screen it is rectangular.

For the life of me I can't adjust to it.

I try staring into space to see if my field of vision is rectangular or square, and am undecided.

I miss the square screen.

Anyone else with me?

Rollo
21st July 2010, 01:28
Your old telly was in the ratio of 4:3 or in the new money 12:9. Your new telly is presumably 16:9.

In theory new 16:9 tellys should be more pleasing to the eye because 16/9 is 1.77777 and is closer to the Golden Ratio than 12/9 which is only 1.33333

Believe me, the new telly will help for films such as Dr.Zhivago but it too struggles with Ben-Hur and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World which were shot in 65mm and 70mm formats.

If Robert Green had had 16:9 vision, it still wouldn't have bloody well helped him against the USA and if Wayne Rooney had had 16:9 vision he might have seen that he is a pratt and is feckin' useless in an England shirt...

tannat
21st July 2010, 02:40
Your old telly was in the ratio of 4:3 or in the new money 12:9. Your new telly is presumably 16:9.

In theory new 16:9 tellys should be more pleasing to the eye because 16/9 is 1.77777 and is closer to the Golden Ratio than 12/9 which is only 1.33333

Believe me, the new telly will help for films such as Dr.Zhivago but it too struggles with Ben-Hur and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World which were shot in 65mm and 70mm formats.

If Robert Green had had 16:9 vision, it still wouldn't have bloody well helped him against the USA and if Wayne Rooney had had 16:9 vision he might have seen that he is a pratt and is feckin' useless in an England shirt...

Perhaps so, Rollo

But I swear-this is the most difficult adjustment any of my senses have ever endured.....

Alexamateo
21st July 2010, 04:27
My experience has been just the opposite. We first bought a small flat-screen tv for the kitchen, and I found myself wanting to watch it more than the big one in the living room. We now have two 16:9 TV's and two 16:9 computer screens and can't imagine ever wanting to go back to what we had before.

Mark in Oshawa
21st July 2010, 05:08
16:9 is the future...I love it but have the 4:3 NTSC format that was North American TV for years....I have to go visit my family for the big screen experience....

Rollo
21st July 2010, 05:48
NTSC - Never The Same Colour
NTSC - Never Twice Same Colour
NTSC - No True Skin Colour
:D

Mark
21st July 2010, 09:41
But I swear-this is the most difficult adjustment any of my senses have ever endured.....

Strange. It is just the same picture with some bits added on the side. Make sure you're TV is set up correctly and your not just watching the same picture stretched out to fill the screen, that would bend your mind!

edv
30th July 2010, 06:04
Strange. It is just the same picture with some bits added on the side. Make sure you're TV is set up correctly and your not just watching the same picture stretched out to fill the screen, that would bend your mind!

+1