PDA

View Full Version : Straight talking

ArrowsFA1
19th July 2010, 14:19
We're used to sports people being scripted by their PR managers, and everything they say being carefully filtered before it reaches the media so it was refreshing to read this (http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/"Want me to be honest with you? I'm ****ed, mate," he told reporters. "I've got nothing. I just don't have the form, it's as simple as that. I'm not going to lie to you. I'm just trying my hardest, battling on rather than giving up. I just haven't got it as I did last year. I don't know why. I just feel consistently mediocre. Not brilliant, not ****, just mediocre. It's form – it's a funny old thing.") from Bradley Wiggins:

"Want me to be honest with you? I'm ****ed, mate," he told reporters. "I've got nothing. I just don't have the form, it's as simple as that. I'm not going to lie to you. I'm just trying my hardest, battling on rather than giving up. I just haven't got it as I did last year. I don't know why. I just feel consistently mediocre. Not brilliant, not ****, just mediocre. It's form – it's a funny old thing."

Hondo
19th July 2010, 18:08
But sometimes, good or bad, it can bite you. There was a Driver named Willie T. Ribbs that had some success and landed an Indy Car ride. Unfortunately he admitted at Indianapolis that driving an Indy car on that track scared him. He never got another Indy car ride, but maybe thats what he wanted.

Mark in Oshawa
20th July 2010, 08:17
Truth is the first victim in sport's media. I think sometimes polticians are more truthful than some people in sport...

Dave B
20th July 2010, 08:41
Wow, can you imagine the grilling he would get on this forum if he was an F1 driver.. :p
Not necessarily, remember Ralf "we f-----d up" Schumacher?

That was pretty straight talking.... :laugh:

GridGirl
20th July 2010, 08:57
Fair play to Bradley Wiggins. Now if only Contador would have played nicely yesterday.

Mark in Oshawa
20th July 2010, 16:59
Not necessarily, remember Ralf "we f-----d up" Schumacher?

That was pretty straight talking.... :laugh:
That may be why he lost his ride in time....

Hazell B
20th July 2010, 18:42
Mr Wiggins had a wee right next to me when a race came past my field last year. I had no idea who he was, but bless him he said "morning" and gave me a nod before hopping back on the bike to continue :p :

Down to earth? I'd say so .....

wedge
21st July 2010, 00:48
It doesn't suprise me at all. He has his demons and can be his own worst critic.

Suffice to say he has a gritty life story that could easily turn into an Oscar winning film.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/bradley-wiggins/7832196/Bradley-Wiggins-how-the-Olympic-cycling-champion-beat-his-demons.html

Tazio
21st July 2010, 01:36
Slightly off topic (only slightly)
In the definitive Baseball exposé: "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton is this little gem.
Those close to the game know this was no exaggeration!

[quote]Red Sox outfielder Ted Williams would take batting practice and shout "I'm Ted ****ing Williams and I'm the greatest hitter in baseball"