PDA

View Full Version : Getting Bored

amiman
14th July 2010, 18:08
Over the last couple of years I am getting bored with F1.

Too many rule changes.
Cars that are constantly slowed down so no over taking.
Constant bickering by the ruling body.
Stupid penilties for drivers that are inconsistant. They seem to alter the rules depending which driver is involved.
Stopping refueling.

They go on about cutting the cost in F1 for the teams then alter the rules, so teams have to spend/waste money adjusting to them.

This year I would have stopped watching it except Shueys back. I even updated my TV package to watch Indycar instead.

MrMetro
14th July 2010, 20:06
Although I agree that F1 is often the centre of been mismanaged and controversy, I think this year has been great so far. The champiosnhip battle is close and looks like it is going down to the boil.

Someone wrote into autosport saying that if you want action every race then go elsewhere and that the suspense of watching a race is great and I agree, if we had loads of overtaking and incidents every race the spectacle of f1 would be dimished, the challenge gone.

e2mtt
14th July 2010, 23:05
F1 has been full of politics, bickering, pointless rule changes, & pettiness for at least 50 years. If you really did switch your TV viewing to Indycar, you will realize that the RACING is terrible most of the time.

Anderton
14th July 2010, 23:12
To be honest i've found this season to be one of the more interesting seasons as of late.
I agree that overtaking and really really exciting races are quite scarce, but I still find the racing interesting and on times quite exciting but that could be me. Downforce does need reducing though. Make the drivers work more to handle the car... it's not as if they don't have the skill!

If you want lots of overtaking and close racing, watch something like a BTCC race day!

F1boat
15th July 2010, 07:43
F1 has been full of politics, bickering, pointless rule changes, & pettiness for at least 50 years. If you really did switch your TV viewing to Indycar, you will realize that the RACING is terrible most of the time.

I think that F1 is far better than Indycar. I quit watching Indycar, because it's quite boring for me... Sportscars are cool.

e2mtt
15th July 2010, 13:01
I think that F1 is far better than Indycar. I quit watching Indycar, because it's quite boring for me... Sportscars are cool.

I worded my post poorly... it's Indycars that have the terrible racing. F1 rules.

Sonic
15th July 2010, 14:03

Too many rule changes.
Stupid penilties for drivers that are inconsistant. They seem to alter the rules depending which driver is involved.
Stopping refueling.

They go on about cutting the cost in F1 for the teams then alter the rules, so teams have to spend/waste money adjusting to them.

This year I would have stopped watching it except Shueys back. I even updated my TV package to watch Indycar instead.

I don't know how long you've been following F1 but to echo posts already - its always been like this!

I ignore most of the BS off the track and enjoy the 90 odd minutes of racing come Sunday afternoon - which has to be said has been brilliant this year. Not every race has been a barnstormer but aside from Bahrain the racing has been close and exciting and the championship is wide open.

If you still want to walk away from the sport after a season like this, then this clearly isn't the series for you.

UltimateDanGTR
15th July 2010, 14:14
regardless of anything off track, any gimmicks etc, I find it very hard to believe anyone can get bored of F1 in 2010.................

JasonD
15th July 2010, 14:21

Too many rule changes.
Stopping refueling.

Well its obviously caught your interest enough to register and then post on the subject.

If you dont like it then stop watching.

Allyc85
15th July 2010, 17:18
If you dont like it then stop watching.

Agreed :D

Garry Walker
15th July 2010, 20:14
This season has been pretty good. That said, if they introduce the rear wing rules they are planning on, to help overtaking, I will seriously consider not watching the races. That would be completely fake and artificial. I would prefer a race with 2-3 overtakes, which have been really hard for the overtake to pull off, than watch a race with many overtakings which are easy to pull off.

Jag_Warrior
15th July 2010, 20:41

Too many rule changes.
Stopping refueling.

No offense to you, but if you (really) believe what you posted and would rather watch the IRL instead of F1... maybe F1 isn't, and never has been, for you. I started watching F1 in the 1970's and there have been political fights and lots of silliness since well before that. People act like the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's were times when everybody in Formula One got along and there were 20 passes for the lead in every race. :rolleyes:

Answer me this, how many passes for the lead or in the top 5 have their been in the IRL this year compared to F1 - on road courses, I mean?

But anyway, one thing is certain about the IRL vs. F1: you won't have to worry about rule changes in the IRL. Heck, it's going to take the IRL a total of about 5 years just to get a new car to the track. Even GP2 does better than that.

I watch the IRL (now) too. But if an F1 race is on at the same time, I'll go with the race that features Hamilton, Vettel, Button, Webber, Alonso, Schumacher, et al battling for position, rather than the race that will talk about Danica Patrick cruising around in 20th place in an ancient spec car with a detuned engine for 30 minutes of the broadcast.

To each his own... :dozey:

Mark in Oshawa
15th July 2010, 21:44
The thing is f1 is the height of technology. The cars truly are masterpieces pushing the edge. IT just doesn't mean it will be great racing. The IRL and American racing in general, there is a some nodding concession that the fan in the seats or watching on TV wants to see something actually happen besides looking at their stop watch to see if the leader went as fast this lap as he did the lap before.

F1 this year has been better, but when the running joke is you get the pole, and you win the race, and people believe that, then there is a crediablity gap. I know that if you took the last 10 years of f1, and found the guys who were not on the first 2 rows who won, you wouldn't have too many races. If you broke down those winners, how many were the result of actual racing their way by the few guys in front of them?

F1 is what it is, but it can be rather predictable, so I guess if that is your thing, so be it. I watch because it is on often on Sunday morning here, and I can watch it, and watch the IRL or NASCAR or ALMS later in the afternoon. It is a cherry on top of my racing Sunday....but I would have to say many criticisms of F1 are valid in most years. This year? Well It is interesting....I cant say I would want to bet on or against either of the Red Bulls or McLarens. That said, it would be a much better series if Mercedes and Ferrari were more competitive...

mstillhere
16th July 2010, 21:28

Too many rule changes.
Stopping refueling.

I actually understand your feeling. I guess what makes f1 intersting or not is based on which team/pilot is winning. I know many of you were complaining how boring F1 was when Ferrari was constantly winning race after race, year after year. Last year, although the Brawn team was winning every single race, like Ferrari did, F1 was not boring. And those who felt that way were supposed to change sport. This year is the same, more or less.

From a business perspective Ecclestone is well aware that many people are bored/annoyed with F1 hence the constant search for new thrills, changes, etc. So, I don't think that Ecclestone is happy to have just us as regular supporters. He wants those who are not and wants to win them over so making the sport more popular and obviously he wants to stop losing those fans he already has.

Zico
16th July 2010, 21:59
Like all sports, F1 has its ups and downs.. but to hear of your dissapointment for this season makes me wonder how/why you ever enjoyed F1 previously... this season is probably the best we've had for many, many years...

Disgruntled Schumacher fan?

ioan
16th July 2010, 23:01
Like all sports, F1 has its ups and downs.. but to hear of your dissapointment for this season makes me wonder how/why you ever enjoyed F1 previously... this season is probably the best we've had for many, many years...

Just because you are happy with a show based on controversial decisions and stupid rules it doesn't mean that everyone has to have the same opinion.

Zico
16th July 2010, 23:28
Just because you are happy with a show based on controversial decisions and stupid rules it doesn't mean that everyone has to have the same opinion.

Im not having a pop at Schumacher fans, ie- you, The controversial decisions and stupid rules always have existed although I do agree we seem to have had more in recent years.
Im referring to the racing, I think this season has seen some of the most exciting racing in years, nobody has to have the same opinion as me but all the same, Im sure most on here will agree.

steveaki13
17th July 2010, 00:11
I love every F1 season since I started watching in 91 at only 5.
But with all thats been happening this season I haven't had a chance to get bored it has really kept my interest 100% this year.

What with the racing itself which has been great, there had been alsorts of other things happening

Button v Hamilton
Alonso v Massa
Webber v Vettel
New teams
Schumi's Return

All these things making F1 the greatest series in the world for me.

So much to happening

wmcot
17th July 2010, 09:16
The thing is f1 is the height of technology. The cars truly are masterpieces pushing the edge. IT just doesn't mean it will be great racing. The IRL and American racing in general, there is a some nodding concession that the fan in the seats or watching on TV wants to see something actually happen besides looking at their stop watch to see if the leader went as fast this lap as he did the lap before.

F1 this year has been better, but when the running joke is you get the pole, and you win the race, and people believe that, then there is a crediablity gap. I know that if you took the last 10 years of f1, and found the guys who were not on the first 2 rows who won, you wouldn't have too many races. If you broke down those winners, how many were the result of actual racing their way by the few guys in front of them?

F1 is what it is, but it can be rather predictable, so I guess if that is your thing, so be it. I watch because it is on often on Sunday morning here, and I can watch it, and watch the IRL or NASCAR or ALMS later in the afternoon. It is a cherry on top of my racing Sunday....but I would have to say many criticisms of F1 are valid in most years. This year? Well It is interesting....I cant say I would want to bet on or against either of the Red Bulls or McLarens. That said, it would be a much better series if Mercedes and Ferrari were more competitive...

I agree with most of what you say, Mark, with a few exceptions:

1. F1 isn't the pinnacle of technology anymore. An ALMS car has much more sophisticated electronic controls and technology on it. When have you seen a bunch of F1 cars powered by diesel, E85, Bio-Butanol and other exotic fuels in the same race? F1 has been dumbed down by the rules and we see some stretches of design only as loophole are exploited and then plugged - that's not real technology.

2. Fans get tired of the "delayed penalties" in F1. While ALMS is not perfect, you will normally see a driver suffering a penalty for an infraction within a lap or two. If a car cuts a corner, he is ordered to give the place back within the same lap. Nothing is more frustrating than the phrase, "Cars number xx and yy will be investigated by the stewards after the race."

I don't have a problem with the politics of F1 in general - that's part of the interest of the sport. I do hate the random rules changes by the powers-that-be. I would like to see F1 be more stable from year to year.

I do like to watch F1, but I have to admit that if an F1 race and an ALMS race are on at the same time, I'll tape the F1 race.

Mia 01
17th July 2010, 13:31
Thoose bored should shut ot their tellie.

This year is a good one.

DexDexter
20th July 2010, 21:47
People get bored, that's just a fact and really has nothing to do with F1. Some stop following it and at the same time new fans tune in.