PDA

View Full Version : Lotus want Renault engines

wedge
12th July 2010, 14:00
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8808856.stm

Road car deal is part of the contract. Wonder if its do with Lotus cars getting Renault engines instead of Toyotas.

DazzlaF1
12th July 2010, 14:12
Would be a very good move if they manage that, the road car tie in would be a big help to Lotus Cars themselves and may help tighten the relationship between the team and Lotus Cars. Not to mention a few extra horsepower from that Renault powerplant

Also they're apprarently in negotiations to revive the "Team Lotus" name by the looks of it

UltimateDanGTR
12th July 2010, 14:21
I hope this happens, It would certainly be a helping hand in getting lotus closer to the midfield and occasional point scoring positions next year, If it all works out right.

Easy Drifter
12th July 2010, 15:05
Lotus are denying the rumour and they have a 3 year contract with Cosworth.

But this is F1 so likely will happen.

Mia 01
12th July 2010, 20:40
The renualt engine is perhaps the best in F1.

VkmSpouge
12th July 2010, 23:12
Hopefully it is a move that will work out for Lotus, though I am not sure how much better (if at all) the Renault engine is than the Cosworth.

Rusty Spanner
13th July 2010, 09:25
The last paragraph of the BBC article is kind of interesting

The new Lotus team is already being treated by F1 authorities as a continuation of the former one, which was set up by the legendary Colin Chapman, earning prize and appearance money on the basis of Team Lotus's historic results.

That's got to grate a little with Hispania and Virgin.

Somebody
13th July 2010, 15:07
Indeed. Maybe whoever buys HRT should look at obtaining a name like Brabham or BRM. The new Lotus is a continuation in name only, after all...

Sleeper
13th July 2010, 15:52
If its so good why do RBR bitch about it every other week?

Anyway, do Lotus have the money to extricate themselves from the Cosworth deal?

Sonic
13th July 2010, 16:15

Oh Mia, you do brighten my day. I'll be laughing about that one all day. :D

As for the engine deal, its the obvious choice for an ambitious team like Lotus I and the history of the Lotus Renault ain't half bad either.

The road car tie up is interesting too. The Renault Sport cars are pretty special to start with - can you imagine if Lotus got to sprinkle their magic on the range?

Mia 01
13th July 2010, 19:54
Oh Mia, you do brighten my day. I'll be laughing about that one all day. :D

As for the engine deal, its the obvious choice for an ambitious team like Lotus I and the history of the Lotus Renault ain't half bad either.

The road car tie up is interesting too. The Renault Sport cars are pretty special to start with - can you imagine if Lotus got to sprinkle their magic on the range?

I can´t arguing that, the Mercedes engine has truley saved MacLaren and Mercedes this year.

Mia 01
13th July 2010, 20:50
Its the same engine it was last season.. :mark:
Mclaren and Mercedes are evolving this season through their constant process of developing the aero aspects of their cars. They are not being saved by the engine IMO.´

Agreed. Renualt is the best engine.

Mia 01
13th July 2010, 21:18
I'll hold my judgement on whether its the best engine or not.
What aspects of the Renault RS27 specification do you consider superior to the powerplant developed by Mercedes Mia?

This particular spec RS27 is yet to win a World Championship and is matched for output and torque with the exception of being less thirsty with fuel, but is there really that much difference between the two?

Its got moore torque at lower rpm, they got moore power out of turns.

Anderton
13th July 2010, 22:25
I may be wrong on this, but with RBR's problems last year with the Renault engines, weren't they seen as a little bit "weak" in their lifespan.
I can't recall an engine failure this season from a Cosworth.
For me Renault power is the way forward for Lotus, but will it decrease their reliability? (I may be totally wrong on this one!)

Saint Devote
14th July 2010, 00:23
Unless Red Bull Racing are able to obtain Mercedes engines - not likely, then RBR is not likely to sign off on Viry increasing its customer size.

Aint gonna happen!

Mia 01
14th July 2010, 00:56
The RBR with thoose poor Renualt engine wiil stay up front.

Somebody
14th July 2010, 02:36
Anderton: There were suggestions a few weeks back that the Cosworth loses horsepower as the engine mileage goes up a LOT faster than all the others, and also has narrower power bands, etc. In peak power terms, it's up there with the Renault (which is the only area where Renault lose out to Merc, apparently), but in all other respects the Renault is a better engine.

StD: I'm pretty sure that (unlike McLaren with Mercedes), RBR don't have a veto on who Renault supply engines to, and Renault have already said they'd like to supply four teams (including Genii-Lada).

Saint Devote
14th July 2010, 03:30
Anderton: There were suggestions a few weeks back that the Cosworth loses horsepower as the engine mileage goes up a LOT faster than all the others, and also has narrower power bands, etc. In peak power terms, it's up there with the Renault (which is the only area where Renault lose out to Merc, apparently), but in all other respects the Renault is a better engine.

StD: I'm pretty sure that (unlike McLaren with Mercedes), RBR don't have a veto on who Renault supply engines to, and Renault have already said they'd like to supply four teams (including Genii-Lada).

Not like Mercedes and Mclaren - but success, BIG SUCCCESS, in any field creates its own strong influence.

Given the superiority of RB6 following RB5 and the probability of continuing this trend, if RBR were to raise objection - and if I were them I would - then Renault would be irrational to do that - especially to a team such as Lotus - what have they done to justify Renault engines.

wmcot
14th July 2010, 09:31
The last paragraph of the BBC article is kind of interesting

The new Lotus team is already being treated by F1 authorities as a continuation of the former one, which was set up by the legendary Colin Chapman, earning prize and appearance money on the basis of Team Lotus's historic results.

That's got to grate a little with Hispania and Virgin.

Yep. And we all know there's no history of legendary virgins in F1!

CNR
14th July 2010, 09:32
http://www.anf1blog.com/2010/07/lotus-close-to-renault-engine-deal/

Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansell are among the drivers who have previously raced Renault-powered Lotus cars in Formula 1, and a Lotus-Renault partnership was responsible for the former’s first Grand Prix win at Estoril in 1985.

Sleeper
14th July 2010, 12:50
Unless Red Bull Racing are able to obtain Mercedes engines - not likely, then RBR is not likely to sign off on Viry increasing its customer size.

Aint gonna happen!
Unless RBR have signed an exclusivity contract I dont think they will get any say in the matter.

Jag_Warrior
14th July 2010, 20:50
Unless RBR have signed an exclusivity contract I dont think they will get any say in the matter.

I agree. The only team that's really guaranteed a supply of Renault engines is... Renault. Same with Ferrari and Mercedes. Red Bull can stamp their feet if they want to, and they might find themselves running Cossies after they do. :dozey:

Somebody
14th July 2010, 22:42
Yep - any influence RBR have would be entirely bound up in the supply of alternatives. Which amounts to one - Cosworth. McLaren will use their veto if Merc try to supply another top-rank team (meaning RBR. They'd be fine with them supplying one of the new teams from reports), and Ferrari have shown no sign of wanting to increase their supply (about the only way that could happen is if RBR pinched STR's supply). Ergo, RBR have no leverage.

And Lotus don't have to "justify" anything. There are hurdles - they'd have to buy themselves out of the Cosworth deal, the FIA would have to approve Renault supplying a third (or fourth) team - but making some sort of Dragon's Den "we're as good as Red Bull, us" pitch isn't one of them.

CNR
10th August 2010, 00:08
this may be true if the Cosworth contract was for so many engines.

http://www.skiddmark.com/2010/08/09/lotus-to-produce-25-customer-f1-cars/

Exos features a 3.5L Cosworth GPV8 that has been detuned to produce 650bhp with a 10,300rpm redline (10,800rpm when push to pass is activated). As the car just weighs 650kg this means the approximate 1000bhp/ton figure should make the Exos the quickest toy on any track day.

Ari
17th August 2010, 01:21
Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious.

Saint Devote
17th August 2010, 02:05
Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious.

:rotflmao:

Colin Chapman will come and haunt you!