PDA

View Full Version : bit of advice please

skotie jay
12th July 2010, 12:23
hi guys im interested into geting into motorsport mechanics or summat but not sure where to look or go. or what the best route to take is.
ideally id like to get into driving but i know thats expensive. Ill have to go to the track days for my driving thrill in my own cars lol.

if any of you's know a decent route to get my self involved an the best place to do it please offer me your advice as at this moment im a lil stuck as too where the best route to take.

cheers scott

Mark in Oshawa
12th July 2010, 18:43
hi guys im interested into geting into motorsport mechanics or summat but not sure where to look or go. or what the best route to take is.
ideally id like to get into driving but i know thats expensive. Ill have to go to the track days for my driving thrill in my own cars lol.

if any of you's know a decent route to get my self involved an the best place to do it please offer me your advice as at this moment im a lil stuck as too where the best route to take.

cheers scott

You could apply for a job or training at racing schools. I know the Bridgestone School at Mosport used to hire mechanic trainee's and teach them the basics of race car maintenance and mechanics.

Easy Drifter
12th July 2010, 20:36
I know this will not be popular advice but pay more attention to your writing and proper use of capitals, spelling etc. If I received a resume written like that it would go in the garbage. Use spell check.
I guess you are in the UK. There are several colleges/trade schools who have courses on race car mechanics.
Go to some local races and hang around the paddock. If you see a driver more or less on his own offer to help in any way you can.
These days having major computer skills helps.
You do not have to be a licensed mechanic to be a race mechanic but it helps.
Dedication to detail is critical which is one reason I said improve your writing skills. If you are sloppy there it gives an impression you are likely to be that way about your work.
A former race mechanic/crew chief/team manager for 20 odd years speaking.
I started sweeping the floor in a shop!

Bob Riebe
12th July 2010, 22:23

cheers scott
Get an engineering degree; to do as Smokey Yunick did, those days are long gone and Smokey said, before he died, that anyone that tried to do it as he did without formal education is a damned fool.

wedge
13th July 2010, 00:33
Before you look up for race teams in your area its best to practice your tea brewing skills. If you can make a mean cuppa you might be lucky enough to hold a spanner...

Mark
13th July 2010, 09:44

cheers scott

I can only echo what others have said. First impressions count and based on the quality if that post as an employer I wouldn't give you the time of day. Being able to put yourself forward properly is absolutely critical and purely based on this post you seem lazy and/or illiterate!

And a second vote for getting an education. The best route to the best jobs in motorsport is to do a degree course and at the same time spend all of your weekends helping out at race tracks.

It's the sort of thing that if you want to get to the top it has to be your entire life. i.e. You are either studying, working, eating or sleeping, and that's it!

Garry Walker
13th July 2010, 19:08

cheers scott

1) Improve your spelling so that a possible employer would not consider you to have an IQ of 45.
2)What are your skills?

52Paddy
17th July 2010, 11:27
Take on board what previous members have said. Also, join your local motor clubs and spend time at your local track, getting to know personnel etc. I've learned from the music industry (and I believe that this is relevant to motorsport too) that building up contacts is very important. When you have associations and points of reference, your road into the sport/industry opens up a lot faster. Best of luck.

Rollo
18th July 2010, 02:36
Volunteer to sweep floors and don't expect to be paid.

The vast majority of motorsport teams are either paid for out of the pockets of the people running the cars themselves or are run on a semi-amateur basis.
Unless you have vest experience spinning spanners, DO NOT expect to be hired by a professional team.

Start out by volunteering right at the bottom, and then use your reputation within the position to be noticed by someone else.