PDA

View Full Version : Things you miss from days gone by.

Sonic
11th July 2010, 09:09
I miss the track graffiti places like Imola used to be decorated with - the tracks seem sterile without it.

Anything else you'd like to enhance your F1 enjoyment?

UltimateDanGTR
11th July 2010, 09:38
I miss those turbo monsters of the mid-late 80s.

I miss pre-qualifying.

I miss half decent race day prices.

But I still love F1 in 2010....

wedge
11th July 2010, 12:55
Titanium skid plates = sparks!

AndyL
11th July 2010, 15:13
I miss test days with free entry during the summer.

Mark
11th July 2010, 19:35
If you want graffiti try the Tour de France!

DazzlaF1
11th July 2010, 19:44
I miss pre-qualifying.

Thats one thing I miss most, more than the allotted 26 cars attempting to qualify for races, it brought a bit of excitement and intrigue into qualifying days where even the best cars had a danger of not being allowed to race. And it did happen sometimes. Even Ayrton Senna the great driver that he was, had a DNQ to his name.

Vitesse
11th July 2010, 19:46
The Nordschleife, Zandvoort, Kyalami and Watkins Glen.

DFVs. V12 Matras and flat 12 Ferraris.

Drivers who aren't corporate apparatchiks.

BRM. Hesketh. Privateers.

Sic transit gloria

good eagle
11th July 2010, 22:10
i miss Jimmy in particular - i miss the great circuits, especially in France, Rheims, Rouen, Clermont Ferrand - the great varieties of car, engine and style-

Most of all i miss the sportsmanship and hard but fair motor racing,

the personalities and honesty of winning

wedge
12th July 2010, 00:18
I miss test days with free entry during the summer.

Silverstone started charging a tenner or so in the last couple of years of in-season testing and even then they only open half the circuit

Anyone watched coverage of the Nurburgring 24hrs? Somebody drew a large piece of male genitalia at the Swallowtail section

Saint Devote
12th July 2010, 02:36
The consistency of easily recognizable straightforward driver helmet designs.

The uniqueness of the racing circuits. Today there are too many that are dromelike.

Jag_Warrior
12th July 2010, 02:55
H-pattern shifters and drivers who could actually use a clutch pedal and chew gum at the same time. But most of all, I miss the turbo monsters of the 80's.

Saint Devote
12th July 2010, 03:08
I guess I do miss the days of 12 cylinders - but as long as f1 never goes in the direction that sports car racing has sadly gone.

The disgusting era of quietness.

But no doubt there will eventually be a generation brainwashed to accept silent racing and will never hear or feel the thrill of a powerful LOUD motor racing engine.

Sonic
12th July 2010, 17:48

That is what got me thinking about it. I was trying to remember the last GP I saw with track art. I certainly recall it at Imola in '93 and '94 but I don't remember seeing much since then.

Also loving wedge's point about the sparks - fire is just cool. Fact.

Old Eyes
12th July 2010, 21:19
I miss the 80's Turbo Monsters too. These days they race electronic machines, in those days they raced cars.

I miss the days, when Bernie wasn't in charge.

D28
12th July 2010, 21:51
MotorSport had a great story about the 100 best things in old F1 in the Apr 2003 issue. Everything from Little Art's (Merzario) stetson, to RAF type goggles. If you can get hold of a copy its worthwhile.
Things I miss most were the 1966 3 litre cars. The Eagle for example must be the best looking F1 car ever.
I appreciated that individuals could purchase a car and enter what races they could afford. Or, design a chassis buy a DFV and go racing. Privateers like Rob Walker or Lord Hesketh.
I liked wide variety in engines, V8, flat 12, V12, whatever.
Finally I enjoyed access to the garages the night before a race, watching mechanics sort everything out. This is unthinkable now, but used to be a part of the F1 scene.

Mintexmemory
13th July 2010, 16:42
F1 unlimited paddock access at Brands, F1 at Brands period. Crystal Palace F3 trains. Drivers who would race F2 or Gp4/6 on the weekends when there wasn't a GP. Mansell's moustache (the absence of which throws the pair of hawkshead moth larvae above his eyes into sharp relief). Pedro Rodriguez or Clay R shaking a fist when baulked (and not a pansy waft a la Massa and Alonso). Graham Hill's comical irrascibility when something wasn't working on his car (or the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang he was demo-ing wouldn't start). That's just for starters

BT46B
15th July 2010, 08:33
I miss those turbo monsters of the mid-late 80s.

I miss pre-qualifying.

I miss half decent race day prices.

But I still love F1 in 2010....

Especially the turbos god nothing like that screaming sound going by you

slorydn1
15th July 2010, 12:25
I'm a little newer to F1 then most of you. I never got to experience the really great things that people mentioned above. Still, there are a few things that I miss:

The forest section at Hockenheim (some of us Nascar folk call the current track Platenheim-a play on the word plate for restrictor plate-they did away with the forest "to slow the cars down". Or was it so they could charge more $$$ for seats in the stadium area?

I miss the 20,000 rpm scream of the V-10s.

I miss the electronic gadgets like traction control and active suspensions, or even the launch control at the beginning of the race, you know, things that made F1 the technological pinnacle of all motorsport.

I miss in season testing.

I miss Minardi, Arrows and Jordan F1, and a truly competitive Williams team.

Yet, for all of those things that I miss, I still love F1.

e2mtt
15th July 2010, 13:12
In-season testing, & open testing for 3 cars on Friday.

UltimateDanGTR
15th July 2010, 13:24
I miss Minardi, Arrows and Jordan F1, and a truly competitive Williams team.

I miss Minardi, Arrows and Jordan as well, especially for their great liveries when there was the black of minardi, orange and black of arrows and the yellow of jordan.

Williams in their prime were great too, they're not the same as they used to be as has been discussed before.

I miss Tyrrell and Ligier also, the great rothmans liveried williams and the Benettons of pre-1998. and for pure livery sakes, the pre-2006 saubers....

the small teams like Zakspeed and Onyx are something which I look back on keenly also.

GJD
15th July 2010, 17:10
I miss the 20,000 rpm scream of the V-10s.

Many do. But here's confirmation of my Extreme Antiquity... I just HATE that. And the reason is that they have no melodiousness in the sound. What's more, they're just absurdly loud.

By contrast, there was real music in the sound of a Matra V12, and the Ferrari V12.

Ever heard the old 1.5 litre BRM V16? Here it is. (http://www.farzadsf1gallery.com/f1_sounds/brm_v16.mp3) A much lower and gutteral sound but still full of mechanical music.

Think I'll go and make another cup of cocoa now.

Vitesse
17th July 2010, 01:08
Crystal Palace F3 trains.

Or come to that getting off the train at Crystal Palace, walking up the steps to the sound of screaming F3 engines and then straight into the circuit. Happy days ...

Powered by Cosworth
17th July 2010, 07:51
Different Engines. Especially in this fuel efficient non-refuelling era we're going though, it'd be interesting to see what approaches the teams would take. Plus Ferrari would compose music with all 12 members again :)

D28
18th July 2010, 01:24
What I really miss most, is F1 cars at Mosport (Canada). This daunting circuit the spiritual home to the Canadian Grand Prix, held 8 GPs between 1967-77. The course is equal to any of the classic venues for complexity and challenge, a true GP circuit.
A broad expanse of land and hilly topograghy made for great natural viewing, and ample grounds for camping; no need to sit in expensive temporary grandstands. Both concepts are anathema to the current managers of F1, but they were happy enough to compete here back then.
In 1978 the Canadian GP decamped to Montreal for ever. The circuit is OK, dearly beloved by many commentators to this space. I remain unmoved, mostly because it is on a man made island, flat as a pancake offering none of the advantages listed above.
I realize F1 can never return to Mosport, the pristine motorhomes wouldn't venture up the access roads, let alone camp there, but for a time it hosted some classic F1 races.

steveaki13
18th July 2010, 08:38
I miss the larger number of teams.

If we had the BBC coverage of today and early 90's numbers of teams (i.e 16 or 17 teams) with Pre Qualifying and all that then I would be truely happy.

Oh Well

D-Type
19th July 2010, 00:37
I miss seeing Formula 1 drivers competing in other forms of racing. I suppose that's a measure of the gap betwen F1 and the rest of racing and of the money washing around in F1.

I also feel the balance between driver and car (chassis, engine, aerodynamics, tyres) ha shifted so that we no longer see a driver being able to make his driving skill compensate for the car's deficiencies.

AAReagles
6th January 2011, 09:00
... - i miss the great circuits, especially in France, Rheims, Rouen, Clermont Ferrand - the great varieties of car, engine and style-

:up:

circuits without chicanes (on long straits)... slip-streaming... more driver-input/less tech input... less (obvious) marketing... racer multi-tasking (Can-Am, Indy, Group C & BMW M1 series)... The Williams FW07... Jones vs. Villenueve in the Tarzan Bend.

555-04Q2
6th January 2011, 10:05
I miss:

1. Alain Prost
2. V10 engines
3. Racing being more important than the other issues that take preference in F1 now
4. Heated driver exchanges after races

555-04Q2
6th January 2011, 10:06
Almost forgot:

5. Minardi

fandango
6th January 2011, 10:31
I miss good helmet designs, there's too much mess on them now.

More teams. One-car teams, even.

Radical new designs. Things you can actually see are different, not ideas like blown whatevers that you have to read up on to understand. Things created by people like Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray and the like, that are new and win races.

I miss Jordan and Tyrrell.

Imola.

Brands Hatch.

Laurels, that the winning driver donned.

Green lights, I miss them at the start even though the current system is logically better.

Gear sticks. Clutches.

Moët & Chandon.

Sonic
6th January 2011, 12:25
Laurels, that the winning driver donned.

Green lights, I miss them at the start even though the current system is logically better.

Gear sticks. Clutches.

All brilliant points.

Mark
6th January 2011, 12:38
There's no reason they can't still have green lights even if the regs still say the start is from the red going out. AFAIK F1 standard rigs still do have green lights.

ArrowsFA1
6th January 2011, 13:39
As a fan - being able to visit a team HQ unannounced, be welcomed in, shown around and allowed to look up-close at the cars, then being given team stickers before going home again!!

That was McLaren circa 1976 or 1977 (not sure which after all these years!).

SGWilko
6th January 2011, 13:40
White dog poo
half penny sweets
broken biscuits

Freedom of engine configuration.

Sonic
6th January 2011, 15:29
White dog poo
half penny sweets
broken biscuits

Legendary!

V12
6th January 2011, 17:07
In no particular order:

-Engine development.
-Tyre wars.
-Different engine types competing on the same track (8s, 10s, 12s)
-Pre-qualifying.
-Easily identifiable driver helmets, and visible car numbers (none of this flourescent camera rubbish we're expected to rely on these days).
-Staying up on Saturday night to watch the Australian GP, instead of being expected to get up early on Sunday morning.
-Grass and gravel run-off areas.
-Cars pitting at full racing speed (can understand why they changed it though obviously).
-Tracks that while not necessarily classics, were unique and identifiable (rather than identikit Tilkedromes).
-Special qualifying engines and tyres.
-Grid set by time and time alone, no 5-place penalties for whatever.
-Mechanical failures during the race.
-Races being stopped and restarted where necessary, aggregate timing etc, rather than the use of the safety car.
-Teams changing engine suppliers with more regularity.
-Single car teams.
-Friday qualifying.
-Ferrari's sports-jersey style number font that ended in 1996.
-Airbox holes as opposed to scoops (look at the difference between the 1996 Jordan/Williams and their 1997 counterparts to see what I mean)
-Low noses
-Non-sculpted sidepods

If I was older than 27 I could probably add a lot more to that list (turbos, old Nurburgring, privateers and one-offs etc.) but I never experienced them first hand so can't really say I "miss" them.

Also the last three are more aesthetic and while I miss them, I accept that aero development made them obsolete, and I'd be more worried about losing technical development (as we already have in certain areas) than anything that is just pretty on the eye.

Mia 01
6th January 2011, 19:45
Ronnie Peterson and the original Lotus Team.

Less wings, instead very wide slicks.

Cars with six wheels.

Bruce D
7th January 2011, 13:31
The days when they used to go around corners like this:

http://i51.tinypic.com/noag5j.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2v28q3c.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cxx73p.jpg

And when you braked you got this:

http://i55.tinypic.com/b55egg.jpg

Someone mentioned skid plates earlier which I remember being really cool.

http://i51.tinypic.com/jj1bpw.jpg

Mia 01
7th January 2011, 15:35
Ahhh, thanks. Loved that pic of Ronnie in the lotus.

Mia

Mia 01
7th January 2011, 15:36
Thanks. Loved that pic of Ronnie in the Lotus.

BDunnell
7th January 2011, 16:00
F1 drivers competing in other formulae.

Overtaking.

V12
7th January 2011, 16:49
It wasn't on my list but that pic of the Leyton House has reminded me how awesome the sparks were.

I'd add the sideways cornering too if I'd been alive then.

AAReagles
7th January 2011, 19:22
In no particular order:

-Engine development.
-Tyre wars.
-Different engine types competing on the same track (8s, 10s, 12s)
-Pre-qualifying.
-Easily identifiable driver helmets, and visible car numbers (none of this flourescent camera rubbish we're expected to rely on these days).
-Staying up on Saturday night to watch the Australian GP, instead of being expected to get up early on Sunday morning.
-Grass and gravel run-off areas.
-Cars pitting at full racing speed (can understand why they changed it though obviously).
-Tracks that while not necessarily classics, were unique and identifiable (rather than identikit Tilkedromes).
-Special qualifying engines and tyres.
-Grid set by time and time alone, no 5-place penalties for whatever.
-Mechanical failures during the race.
-Races being stopped and restarted where necessary, aggregate timing etc, rather than the use of the safety car.
-Teams changing engine suppliers with more regularity.
-Single car teams.
-Friday qualifying.
-Ferrari's sports-jersey style number font that ended in 1996.
-Airbox holes as opposed to scoops (look at the difference between the 1996 Jordan/Williams and their 1997 counterparts to see what I mean)
-Low noses
-Non-sculpted sidepods

Also the last three are more aesthetic and while I miss them, I accept that aero development made them obsolete, and I'd be more worried about losing technical development (as we already have in certain areas) than anything that is just pretty on the eye.

:( Reminds me of the reasons why my enthusiasm slumped off after the last 20 years... knew it (technopoly of the sport) was coming once Ferrari came out with the butter-fly (steering-wheel paddle) shifters came out in 1989.

Some of the regulations, particularly the last 10 years, are further proof of another sport gone mad.

fandango
7th January 2011, 23:07
The days when they used to go around corners like this:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2v28q3c.jpg

Just out of curiosity, why does Ronnie carry No. 1?

Rollo
8th January 2011, 04:29
Just out of curiosity, why does Ronnie carry No. 1?

This photograph is from the 1974 season.
The 1973 champion Jackie Stewart had retired and Lotus who had won the 1973 Constructor's championship were assigned 1 & 2.

Bruce D
8th January 2011, 12:28
Yeah back then they used the same numbers generally from year to year, rather than based on where they finished in the constructors championship the year before. So thats why Ferrari had No. 27 & 28 for so many years. So as Rollo said...

markabilly
8th January 2011, 16:04
i miss Jimmy in particular - i miss the great circuits, especially in France, Rheims, Rouen, Clermont Ferrand - the great varieties of car, engine and style-

:D :( :D

F1 unlimited paddock access at Brands, F1 at Brands period............

yes, i remember in 1967 stumbling around what was truly an open paddock on Sunday morning before the race at Watkins Glen

and then being at Riverside CA for three WHOLE days, bumping elbows, with many of the stars of F1 being present for a can-am race, including Hulme, Gurney, Bruce, Surtees, and others such as Andretti, Peter Revson, Jim Hall, Swede Savage, and on and on.....and meeting Paul Newman, who offerred to sign my program but I refused as I told him he was not a racing driver, and only racers were permitted to sign...........a track that has since become a shopping mall or whatever

Indeed, the open paddock is absolutely what I miss most.....well next to the drivers who were lost...

and I lost some interest in F1 and racing in general as many of those guys were killed or injured and refused to contine racing :(

maximilian
10th January 2011, 02:24
Seems like a lot of people miss Minardi (including myself). I wonder if it wouldn't have been more effective for RedBull to keep the name intact (as in RedBull MINARDI, with Minardi remaining the "constructor") instead of coughing up the soulless and mostly meaningless "Scuderia Toro Rosso" nobody gives a crap about.

UltimateDanGTR
10th January 2011, 16:31
Seems like a lot of people miss Minardi (including myself). I wonder if it wouldn't have been more effective for RedBull to keep the name intact (as in RedBull MINARDI, with Minardi remaining the "constructor") instead of coughing up the soulless and mostly meaningless "Scuderia Toro Rosso" nobody gives a crap about.

I couldn't agree more. Each team has a unique personality in some form, except for Toro Rosso.

V12
12th January 2011, 15:11

Completely agree. After buying it they couldn't call it "Red Bull" for obvious reasons - so having it as Red Bull Minardi (i.e. Red Bull the sponsor in the official entrant name, Minardi the constructor) would have been easily the most elegant solution.

I'd argue that if the 2008 Italian Grand Prix had been won by a Minardi thanks to Red Bull's investment, that probably would have shifted more cans of the stuff in Italy than naming the team "Red Bull" in Italian - I may be wrong but cans of RB sold in Italy I assume are sold under the Red Bull name rather than Toro Rosso?

Mark
12th January 2011, 15:13
Yes, and we would have been treated to Minardi finally winning a race!

V12
12th January 2011, 15:20
Speaking of Minardi - another small thing I've missed since the end of 1992 is their black and yellow colour scheme (bar a brief resurgence in 1997, but Mild Seven logos and too much white space kind of got in the way of that).

I'm not going to argue that the 1991 Jordan was the best looking car of that year, but for me personally the Minardi was a close second.

V12
12th January 2011, 16:54
Just thought of another one!

Winter testing - I mean the proper stuff where teams would run their own programs, all winter long, giving news and lap times to discuss during the off season.

The current heavily restricted and ultra regimented "official test" format is just so dull in comparison.

In fact add in season testing to that. The only time I've (been able to afford to) see contemporary F1 cars in the flesh at full speed on an actual Grand Prix track was a test session at Silverstone about 10 years ago (we were down there for a Touring Car or Historic meet IIRC)

Suppose it could be summed up in the general theme of teams being their own free independent entities that did what they wanted away from the track, then all convened every other weekend to battle together on the track. Modern F1 just seems too much like the teams are all departments, subjects or franchises of one more powerful entity (F1) which controls and monitors their every move even away from the track - 1984 style.

Outside regulating the racing at an event and scrutineering the cars that turn up to said event, the FIA should have bugger-all say in what the teams get up to.

JackSparrow
14th January 2011, 00:09
I miss the days in which the race was more exciting than quali!

Oh and Juan Pablo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-7cZJokYzI

race aficionado
14th January 2011, 02:59
I miss the Juan Pablo Montoya & Michael Schumacher duels/rivalry.

Those were epic times when this forum would lighten up with excitement and heated discussions.

. . . and our dear Andri/Andrea was around . . . . .

I sure miss that . . . . .

:s mokin:

Bruce D
14th January 2011, 05:32
I think in modern times a duel between Montoya and Hamilton would be something to watch. Certainly I miss JPM...

maximilian
14th January 2011, 13:00
I miss Super Aguri. My suggestion to Tony Fernandes was to bring back Super Aguri in case he loses the "Lotus" case.

I also miss Toleman. The name lived only too brief in F1 before being bought out, but Derek Warwick in the Toleman was one of the major reasons I started following F1.

I miss French drivers. Some of the "best names" of GP drivers are Francophone. I used to imagine my own fantasy F1 when I was a kid, and many of the names I made up were French-ish.

I, like many of you, miss large fields with pre-qualifying, including 1-car teams, and teams able to show up and give it a shot with pure engineering genius (or not) and a set of balls, and not having to pay a billion dollars before they're even allowed to THINK about entering (only to be denied a spot later, for undisclosed reasons). I see no reason why a new team shouldn't be able to buy someone else's chassis from LAST season, update it to regulations, and take a stab at racing. It's always been like that, and many eventually established teams got their start that way, buying an old March/Shadow/Arrows/Whatever as their first car, and hitting the ground running.

Mia 01
14th January 2011, 13:18
I think in modern times a duel between Montoya and Hamilton would be something to watch. Certainly I miss JPM...

As long as Hammy knows that RED lights means stop.

Yes I miss Monty in F1.

V12
14th January 2011, 16:40
I miss French drivers. Some of the "best names" of GP drivers are Francophone. I used to imagine my own fantasy F1 when I was a kid, and many of the names I made up were French-ish.

I, like many of you, miss large fields with pre-qualifying, including 1-car teams, and teams able to show up and give it a shot with pure engineering genius (or not) and a set of balls, and not having to pay a billion dollars before they're even allowed to THINK about entering (only to be denied a spot later, for undisclosed reasons). I see no reason why a new team shouldn't be able to buy someone else's chassis from LAST season, update it to regulations, and take a stab at racing. It's always been like that, and many eventually established teams got their start that way, buying an old March/Shadow/Arrows/Whatever as their first car, and hitting the ground running.

I was and am the same actually but with Italians rather than French (names, not necessarily nationality - e.g Regazzoni), and they are getting a bit thin on the ground too. I'm working on a computer program as a hobby that simulates a GP race and season and I've put together a fake set of teams and drivers (some based on real drivers, some entirely made up) and there's a strong Latin-bias of driver names in the entry list.

I do also miss customer cars, but the problem with allowing them in this cynical age is it would give the likes of Ferrari and McLaren a back door to run three or four car teams by proxy, and could even be the start of a slippery slope to a DTM-style situation where you only have 2 or 3 makes of car competing.

Josti
14th January 2011, 22:26

I agree, where are the Jean-Pierre's and Jacques' of this world!

I have to admit I have a soft spot for French names too, and Italian ones for that matter. Not sure why, but they do roll of the tongue easily. There used to be so many in F1, especially in the 80's and early 90's, but sadly almost extinct nowadays.

Hope to see Bianchi and Vergne in future F1, but not sure what Italy has in stock.

keysersoze
18th January 2011, 15:49
Pre-qualifying was ridiculous. A team spends millions preparing a car, testing, and traveling to races--and then they don't get to race. A sponsor's nightmare.

The 107% rule should take care of the no-hopers, but to be reasonably quick and denied to race?

I've always loved F1 the way it is . . . so I miss everything that has passed (except pre-qualifying).

SGWilko
20th January 2011, 10:02
Pre-qualifying was ridiculous. A team spends millions preparing a car, testing, and traveling to races--and then they don't get to race. A sponsor's nightmare.

Did they spend millions though? Did they even test?

Pre-Qualification was a necessity to sort the chaff from the wheat....

Roamy
21st January 2011, 06:50
In-season testing, & open testing for 3 cars on Friday.

amen Brother !!

Senninha25
21st January 2011, 14:22
I miss the early 90's. There was engine variety in manufacturers and layouts (V8, V10, V12, W12, Flat-12, the lot) and the 30+ cars that used to battle so they could even make it to the race, let alone win it; and with that, the environment then which was a lot more relaxed than nowadays. I'm glad I got a live glimpse of it all as a baby :)

But I think from now on I will miss the Renault works team as well, always my favourite team. :(

V12
24th January 2011, 01:29

The 107% rule should take care of the no-hopers, but to be reasonably quick and denied to race?

I've always loved F1 the way it is . . . so I miss everything that has passed (except pre-qualifying).

But it's better, when it's over-subscribed, to let competition on the track weed out those who aren't good enough, than the alternative.

"The alternative" being, of course, the un-transparent FIA selection process that decides who's allowed in and not. Pre-qualifying sorted out the chancers (e.g. Life) yet allowed those worthy (e.g. Jordan) the chance to compete their way into the regular order.

If a Life-like outfit want to spunk large money on failing, that's their problem. What is OUR problem is a modern-day Jordan being denied entry behind a Life/US F1 type outfit.

SGWilko
24th January 2011, 09:29
But it's better, when it's over-subscribed, to let competition on the track weed out those who aren't good enough, than the alternative.

"The alternative" being, of course, the un-transparent FIA selection process that decides who's allowed in and not. Pre-qualifying sorted out the chancers (e.g. Life) yet allowed those worthy (e.g. Jordan) the chance to compete their way into the regular order.

If a Life-like outfit want to spunk large money on failing, that's their problem. What is OUR problem is a modern-day Jordan being denied entry behind a Life/US F1 type outfit.

Amen to that! :up: If there were no specificific entry requirements (other than a car that passed the crash tests and conformed to the rulebook) but pre-qualifying was a pre-requisite - if you were serious - you'd make sure you built a car, and had the staff/drivers to succeed.

N. Jones
24th January 2011, 16:22
Even though I never got to see him race live, whether at the track or on TV, I miss Ayrton Senna.

rjbetty
24th January 2011, 17:36
Mechanical failures - remember those?

Also, when a driver spun off, it was onto grass or gravel so he was usually out. Back then, mistakes were actually punished!!!

ykiki
25th January 2011, 01:48
I miss Tyrrell. Every year, launch season was a blast because you never knew what you'd get. From six wheels, to raised noses, to the x-wing. Some of it was as ugly as a mother-in-law with an avocado facial, but at least they were willing to innovate.

Sonic
26th January 2011, 18:53
I miss Tyrrell. Every year, launch season was a blast because you never knew what you'd get. From six wheels, to raised noses, to the x-wing. Some of it was as ugly as a mother-in-law with an avocado facial, but at least they were willing to innovate.

Me too. Just a great little team.

V12
27th January 2011, 15:40

Yeah definitely.

That airbox used by the Tyrrell-descended Mercedes team last year is the sort of thing that they might have tried in today's heavily-restricted F1, so maybe a bit of the old DNA is still there...

Apart from the fact there's probably no '97/98 Tyrrell staff left there since most of them left or were gotten rid of by BAR straight after the takeover, of course.

Sonic
27th January 2011, 15:52
Yeah definitely.

That airbox used by the Tyrrell-descended Mercedes team last year is the sort of thing that they might have tried in today's heavily-restricted F1, so maybe a bit of the old DNA is still there...

Apart from the fact there's probably no '97/98 Tyrrell staff left there since most of them left or were gotten rid of by BAR straight after the takeover, of course.

Yeah. They all moved over to HP's stillborn Honda project didn't they?

UltimateDanGTR
27th January 2011, 16:57
Tyrrell
Brabham
Benneton
Jordan
Minardi
Arrows
Fittipaldi
Onyx

Those are the great little teams from the late 70s to early 2000s that were all very lovable, but that are all sadly gone now. They all had varying degrees of success, and most had a great warmth about them. I wish a few were still in the sport, but even so they provided some great memories and superb colour schemes as well (at points).

I still like the 2011 teams of course, but there was something special about those in the list.