PDA

View Full Version : July 4, 1776

SportscarBruce
3rd July 2010, 14:33
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

I imagine the authors drew that up and signed it today they'll end up on Ye Old DHS No-Fly and Terrorist Watch List

Tazio
3rd July 2010, 16:07
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

I imagine the authors drew that up and signed it today they'll end up on Ye Old DHS No-Fly and Terrorist Watch List
A certain member whose name I will not mention does not understand why we consider the fourth of July as our Independence Day, since England did not recognize our solverency until 1815. :laugh:
I plan on celebrating by taking up Markabilly's misses’ offer to do some tea-bagging :beer:

markabilly
3rd July 2010, 17:18
well, she has been sharpening up her fingernails into razors and says she is ready, if you will bring a microscope so she can find those little things

markabilly
3rd July 2010, 17:21
1776 was a fine year....

Tazio
3rd July 2010, 18:10
1776 was a fine year....

And I did mean "Sovereignty" :rolleyes:

Bob Riebe
3rd July 2010, 18:39

Probably so, war is hell and war with all its particulars is what followed.

Today you would also probably have a lot of college age youth marching to insult those who wrote it.

Rollo
4th July 2010, 12:26
It's a bit like Big Brother really. The United States voted themselves out of the house... and in 234 years still haven't learnt how to make a decent cup of tea. :D

veeten
4th July 2010, 12:41
... which is why we drink coffee instead. ;) :p :

Tazio
4th July 2010, 16:21
:kiss: Women drink a lot of tea in the US :burp: :devil: ;)

which is not to be confused with "tea bagging"

(of course that was probably another gift from the French) ;)

Roamy
4th July 2010, 17:09
It's a bit like Big Brother really. The United States voted themselves out of the house... and in 234 years still haven't learnt how to make a decent cup of tea. :D

we are into coffee especially "Colombian"

veeten
4th July 2010, 21:05
and during the summer, it's cool refreshing iced tea. :beer:
just the ticket for those hot days. :D

Mark in Oshawa
5th July 2010, 06:24

They didn't just vote themselves out, they tossed out any Loyal Brits who didn't play ball, and most of them ended up in Canada....

So in a sense, the 4th represents 3 things: Birth of One nation, the seed of another nation, and another great excuse to throw 2 parties on the continent in 4 days....

You are right tho Rollo. Iced tea to them is tea....to me it is bad tasting water when it is cold. You drink Tea, or Coffee...and when it is hot, you drink lemonade or better yet BEER....

Jag_Warrior
5th July 2010, 10:02
we are into coffee especially "Colombian"

Colombian, you say?! I was just about to make a nice, sincere, patriotic post and now you've got me thinking about Sofia Vergara. Boo... I mean, bombs bursting in air! :dozey: