PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli to become tyre supplier for 2011

MrMetro
23rd June 2010, 15:13
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84688

Daniel
23rd June 2010, 15:36
Well it'll be interesting in terms of racing at least.......

AndyRAC
23rd June 2010, 17:20
Pirelli...???? Mmm, and their famously non grippy tyres. Just how do they keep getting these contracts?

MrMetro
23rd June 2010, 17:41
well, thats why I was hoping for Michelin, but if pirellis turn out to be rubbish, we could have races like the recent canadian gp, and we can see who can last the most on turd tyres

Daniel
23rd June 2010, 18:10
well, thats why I was hoping for Michelin, but if pirellis turn out to be rubbish, we could have races like the recent canadian gp, and we can see who can last the most on turd tyres
What do you mean IF?

MrMetro
23rd June 2010, 18:43
What do you mean IF?

I see what you mean. For example, when Pirelli was annouced as single supplier in world superbike, teams were negative about it, saying how pirelli were inferior to Michelin and Dunlop. Then there's the case with the wrc. in the years of michelin/bf goodrich vs pirelli, 99% of the time, michelin smoked pirelli.

F1 could be diffrent for pirelli, but last time they were in it, again there tyres were not exactly the best.

christophulus
23rd June 2010, 20:28
Just how do they keep getting these contracts?

They were cheaper than Michelin...

Hopefully we'll return to the tyre wars in a couple of years, though I'm cautiously optimistic about Pirelli. I can't imagine they'll get the tyres that wrong (see: Indy 2005), and maybe tyres that degrade a bit faster are exactly what F1 needs?

Daniel
23rd June 2010, 20:30
They were cheaper than Michelin...

Hopefully we'll return to the tyre wars in a couple of years, though I'm cautiously optimistic about Pirelli. I can't imagine they'll get the tyres that wrong (see: Indy 2005), and maybe tyres that degrade a bit faster are exactly what F1 needs?
Rubbish. It should never just be about cost when it comes to tyres. Michelin make better tyres than Pirelli.

MrMetro
23rd June 2010, 20:45
[quote="Daniel"]Rubbish. It should never just be about cost when it comes to tyres. Michelin make better tyres than Pirelli.[/quo

I agree 100%

MrMetro
23rd June 2010, 20:51
Rubbish. It should never just be about cost when it comes to tyres. Michelin make better tyres than Pirelli.

Indeed,although I belive Pirelli don't mind a tire war starting in 2013, by then, hopefully, economic markets will be better and teams won't mind spending money on tyres, so control tyres are not a bad thing for now, although i really hope we return to an open tyre formula in a couple of years

Easy Drifter
24th June 2010, 00:16
As long as they do not fall apart who gives a rat's a--! It will be the same for everyone. So what if they are several seconds slower than Bridgestone. It might mean more passing and better racing for all we know, now.

Daniel
24th June 2010, 00:24
As long as they do not fall apart who gives a rat's a--! It will be the same for everyone. So what if they are several seconds slower than Bridgestone. It might mean more passing and better racing for all we know, now.
Back in 2004 I think it was, Pirelli had MAJOR problems with tyres falling apart (and I mean properly falling apart!!!!!) because it was a couple of degrees warmer in some of the rallies than they predicted. Do you REALLY want this sort of company supplying tyres to Formula 1?

SGWilko
24th June 2010, 10:10
No, we don't, but at least this time around - unlike the late 80's early 90's when Pirelli were last in F1, it is the same for all teams.

All that will happen is teams will be forced to make more pit stops, and as we know from Canada, that makes for great races.

Interesting that the FIA, McLaren and Ferrari preferred a supply of Michelins, according to James Allen.

Daniel
24th June 2010, 10:15
So everyone has **** tyres. Yay!

SGWilko
24th June 2010, 10:36
So everyone has **** tyres. Yay!

Or, look at it from another prespective;

Every race will be infinately more exciting with many pitstops due to rapidly degrading tyres. Yay! :)

Daniel
24th June 2010, 10:56
I don't often agree with the use of the p word. But the word pinnacle should apply in F1 when it comes to tyres

pino
24th June 2010, 12:40
Go Pirelli, show everyone what italians can do :p :

wedge
24th June 2010, 13:56
Fingers crossed Pirelli won't make a hash of the control tyres

Azumanga Davo
24th June 2010, 15:18

We already know what they can do... :p :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPTlT8HXjk

Mia 01
24th June 2010, 15:22
Pirelli and Ferrari, fits like a glove.

I wonder ....

Rusty Spanner
24th June 2010, 16:12
Oooh the round black bits are going to have a different word written on them next year. :D

I'll wait and see what hapens.

christophulus
24th June 2010, 16:35
Apparently it's going to cost Pirelli absolutely nothing to supply tyres.

At the end of the day for us, the cost, taking into account all items, will be zero compared to our budget. The advertising campaign which is linked to F1 will be switched from other races where we reduce our presence. First of all for rallying, where there are new rules starting next year. We were the only supplier, and there will be starting next year different suppliers, so we will definitely reduce and will move these investments to F1. We will reduce our budget on other races, and we will be fully dedicated to F1.

http://adam (http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/06/24/the-cost-of-f1-will-be-zero-claims-pirelli-boss/)cooperf1.com/2010/06/24/the-cost-of-f1-will-be-zero-claims-pirelli-boss/ (http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/06/24/the-cost-of-f1-will-be-zero-claims-pirelli-boss/)

Daniel
24th June 2010, 19:03

Oh come on Pino, as a person who loves Italian cars even I wouldn't be so silly to say that! :p

pino
24th June 2010, 19:06
Oh come on Pino, as a person who loves Italian cars even I wouldn't be so silly to say that! :p

That's because you only love Italian cars, while I love everything about Italy :p :

Daniel
24th June 2010, 19:08
That's because you only love Italian cars, while I love everything about Italy :p :
I like a lot of Italian things! I like the wine, I think you've got nice wimmin and there's a certain Italian who always puts a smile on my face whenever I've met him :p

Why you no pick Galli? :angryfire :D

ioan
24th June 2010, 19:27
All that will happen is teams will be forced to make more pit stops, and as we know from Canada, that makes for great races.

You call that great races?
Luckily you didn't call it great racing! :s

ioan
24th June 2010, 19:29

We saw it a couple of hours ago what 11 Italians can do! :D
Or were you talking about the 110% public debt?! :p

Sleeper
24th June 2010, 23:09
You mean like the national squad? ;)

Daniel
24th June 2010, 23:58
We saw it a couple of hours ago what 11 Italians can do! :D
Or were you talking about the 110% public debt?! :p

WTF you talking about? He was talking of course of the corrupt PM :p

Daniel
25th June 2010, 00:00
The tyres might fall to bits after 5 laps and the grip may well be non existent, but at least for nostalgic reasons we'll have yellow text on the edge of the tyres like in the good old days.. :p
Would you buy tyres for your car which are crap but have yellow writing on?

Saint Devote
25th June 2010, 01:40
I hope that Pirelli have insisted that their racing tyres have to reflect the quality of their road tyres. This means writing component failure - the ridiculous situation of having to change tyres after five laps for example - OUT.

It was a pity that they did not persuade the FIA to eliminate the compulsory use of two compounds in a race.

Of course it would have been better to allow competition and have different teams sign up with different tyre manufacturers as they have done with engines.

Either Pirelli or Michelin would have been fine with me - at least it was not some ridiculous sounding non-traditional tyre company such as "Kuhmo" !

Daniel
25th June 2010, 01:41
I hope that Pirelli have insisted that their racing tyres have to reflect the quality of their road tyres. This means writing component failure - the ridiculous situation of having to change tyres after five laps for example - OUT.

It was a pity that they did not persuade the FIA to eliminate the compulsory use of two compounds in a race.

Of course it would have been better to allow competition and have different teams sign up with different tyre manufacturers as they have done with engines.

Either Pirelli or Michelin would have been fine with me - at least it was not some ridiculous sounding non-traditional tyre company such as "Kuhmo" !

Kuhmo aren't a tyre brand. Pirelli road tyres aren't really that great.....

Saint Devote
25th June 2010, 01:53
Kuhmo aren't a tyre brand. Pirelli road tyres aren't really that great.....

Kuhmo is indeed a brand - their tyres are available in the US and they were mentioned as possible suppliers.

Pirelli have the same reputation as Michelin and Continental for example - but for me to have the return of such an Italian name that is synonymous with motor racing trumps everything.

I am a traditionalist and love Italy to bits because there is no other nation that could have produced drivers such as Brambilla or Varzi ir Regga [yes I know he supposedly Swiss!!!] or Andretti or Monza or the mille miglia and most of all Ferrari!

Believe me - one trip for anyone that loves racing to Italy and you will fall in love with the country and the people :D

Ciou!

Sleeper
25th June 2010, 21:08
Considering that Pirelli's GT tyres of recent years have been pretty good so I'll reserve judgment until the tyres are actually on the cars.

V12
26th June 2010, 02:12
Damn it, ive nothing against Pirelli but I was really hoping after BS left that the single tyre BS (pun intended) would stop, but same s..t, different name.

Saint Devote
26th June 2010, 04:18
Damn it, ive nothing against Pirelli but I was really hoping after BS left that the single tyre BS (pun intended) would stop, but same s..t, different name.

I agree.

Remember the days when teams could not only run with any tyre manufacture that was willing but also were able to optimise through having a different size of rim if warranted and could even put different compounds on each wheel specific for each track.

Now THAT is grand prix racing at its finest.

The current garbage is not only boring and stupid but also extremely UNformula One like.

Of course the most ridiculous thing is having commentators get all excited over changing tyres in 4 seconds and PASSING someone, not overtaking on track, but in the pits.

Sad.

They could have TEN grands prix in the US and have as many American drivers on the grid as there are Germans now - American interest in f1 would remain less than that in sychronized swimming.

And we know the reason why.

jens
27th June 2010, 18:59
Tyres are one of the key instruments in the excitement of races, so I hope Pirelli will either mistakenly or knowingly design tyres, which perform like the Bridgestones did at Montreal for the majority of the season. :D In their previous stint in F1 they certainly knew, how to design highly competitive qualifying tyres, which last only for a few laps.

CNR
28th June 2010, 01:33
Q: will Pirelli be as good as Bridgestone tyres
(how much technology went in to making the tyre last the compleate race that is still used in the tyres this year) ?

Jag_Warrior
28th June 2010, 20:02
Q: will Pirelli be as good as Bridgestone tyres
(how much technology went in to making the tyre last the compleate race that is still used in the tyres this year) ?

Initially, I'm guessing that they won't be. Bridgestone/Firestone has SO many more years of experience producing tires for high speed, hard cornering open wheel cars. But in time, maybe Pirelli will be able to produce robust enough tires so that nothing unexpected (and dangerous) happens during races. As long as there is not unpredictable wear causing blowouts, leading to serious accidents (and injuries), it'll be OK... I guess. Still, I'm thinking that Bridgestone will be missed, at least for awhile. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong and we won't even notice the transition.

donKey jote
28th June 2010, 20:36
so long as they´re black, round and don´t burst... I doubt anybody will notice the transition to another single supplier :p

AndyL
29th June 2010, 10:59
so long as they´re black, round and don´t burst... I doubt anybody will notice the transition to another single supplier :p

I hope you're right. However in World Superbikes, which is a one-make Pirelli series, there have been quite a few problems with "bad" tyres. They have 2 races in a day so it's pretty obvious something's up when a rider uses ostensibly identical tyres in both races, and one lasts the distance while the other goes off after 5 laps. It's not something that's happening all the time, but often enough to be a pattern, and certainly enough to be a massive controversy if the same thing happens in F1.

donKey jote
29th June 2010, 19:09
controversy? at least it would bring some action... tire roulette on top of SC roulette or rain roulette :p

wmcot
30th June 2010, 08:44
American interest in f1 would remain less than that in sychronized swimming.

As a life member of the American Synchronized Swimming Helping Our Ladies Excel fan club, I take exception to that remark! ;)

Jag_Warrior
30th June 2010, 10:10
They could have TEN grands prix in the US and have as many American drivers on the grid as there are Germans now - American interest in f1 would remain less than that in sychronized swimming.

And we know the reason why.

Causin' real race cars got fenders and these dang things ain't go no fenders! And on top uh that, they got no Dales and they got no doors! Buncha wine & cheese eatin' Nancy-boys!

Seriously though, with open wheel formula car racing pretty much at an all time low in the U.S., if you really know the reason why, there's a gentleman by the name of Randy Bernard that would love to talk to you.