PDA

View Full Version : What's the scariest crash you've ever seen

00steven
22nd June 2010, 02:36
While Mike Conway's crash was scary, There's much worse. Just wondering what you guys think.

Jag_Warrior
22nd June 2010, 02:40
Ayrton Senna's and Greg Moore's. Stan Fox's crash also nearly sickened me.

slorydn1
22nd June 2010, 02:55
1) Geoffrey Bodine's wreck at Daytona in the truck race in 2000....there simply was nothing left of the truck after it cheese grated along the catch fence.

2) Tony Roper's crash at Texas in 2000 in the truck race there. It hit with so much force at such and acute angle in the "kink" in the wall on the front stretch that it took my breath away when I saw it on tv.

3) tie between Greg Moore's wreck, and Mike Harmon's wreck at Bristol in Nationwide Series practice in 2003 when he hit the improperly latched crossover gate in turn 4 and then Johnny Sauter plowed into what was left of the roll cage with Harmon still in it. Harmon's engine ended up all the way down at the entrance to turn 1.

martini99
22nd June 2010, 03:04
The Jeff Krosnoff crash with Stephan Johansonin 96 at Toronto where we lost a great person, son, husband and a friend with Jeff's untimely passing and also the death of a corner worker Gary Arvin.

As for someone who survived a viscious accident at Road America the Katherine Legge crash where her car absolutly disintergrated. God was riding with her that day. She appeared shortly and after a medical check up spoke to the reporter. I cried for joy. Thanks for the safety of the CART era cars.

Also Richard Petty getting T boned at the start line at Daytona stands out.Cant rember what year

Easy Drifter
22nd June 2010, 03:19
Sorry but I think this is a totally inappropriate thread.
Maybe because I have seen too many die including some of my friends. :(

keysersoze
22nd June 2010, 03:26
Well, you can see many of the really bad ones on youtube. But since you asked for the gore. Here it is:

The first crash that I saw that freaked me out was Tom Sneva in the '75 Indy 500.

Von Trips crashing into a spectator area and killing about 15 people. Really, very little can match that for bone-chilling devastation. I know about the Lemans wreck that killed many more spectators, but have never seen footage.

Tom Pryce flat out on the straight and hitting a marshal holding a fire extinguisher. There are some terrible video and still pics of this online.

Roger Williamson trapped and burned to death in a '72 GP, while David Purly vainly tried to save him. All on video and really moving to watch.

Danny Ongais' Indy wreck ('81?). By the time he was sliding along the wall his legs WERE the front of the car. Horrible.

For what it supposedy did to his body, Gordon Smiley's fatal wreck at Indy in '82 has no match.

Nelson Piquet at Indy in '92. The still photo of the head-on hit shows his helmet inches from the wall. You just knew his legs got shredded in the impact.

Stan Fox at the start of the '95 Indy. Oh dear. I saw it live on TV

Jeff Krosnoff hitting a telephone pole was sickening. I also saw this one on TV.

Mark Webber in the Mercedes at Lemans--doing 2 or 3 gainers into the forest.

Greg Moore's was savage and, just the way his arm was flopping, one just felt he had no chance. I saw this and just felt empty.

Alex Zanardi's. Still photos show the flesh of his legs being blown off. It's a miracle he survived.

harvick#1
22nd June 2010, 03:49
I agree with Easy Drifter, while watching races, I've seen one too many and its very sad to try and bring it back up.

I'd vote to lock the thread