PDA

View Full Version : Tyre regs for 2011

Mark
15th June 2010, 12:36
Canada has proved that no-refuelling races can be exciting if you have tyres which are on the edge.

At the moment for most tracks the tyres will last the entire race and it's only the 'two types' regs which make teams pit to change tyres.

I reckon for 2011 whoever supplies tyres should be required to make hard tyres which last at the most 50% of the race and softs which last at best 25% of the race, then we might have a viabale choice between 1, 2 or even three stops, which keeps things exciting!

Ranger
15th June 2010, 12:56
Canada has proved that no-refuelling races can be exciting if you have tyres which are on the edge.

At the moment for most tracks the tyres will last the entire race and it's only the 'two types' regs which make teams pit to change tyres.

I reckon for 2011 whoever supplies tyres should be required to make hard tyres which last at the most 50% of the race and softs which last at best 25% of the race, then we might have a viabale choice between 1, 2 or even three stops, which keeps things exciting!

True, but I doubt it will happen.

Tyre companies sign to tender because of the publicity and marketing value.

With no competition, tyres that fall apart after 8 or so laps is not a good way to promote their product!

UltimateDanGTR
15th June 2010, 12:56
the way I see it, evidently from canada, it seems tyres not up to scratch for the required distance are a very good way of creating great and intriuging races.

problem is, who is going to want to damage their image by supplying poor tyres to F1?

christophulus
15th June 2010, 13:04
problem is, who is going to want to damage their image by supplying poor tyres to F1?

That's why I could see Bernie's "F1" branded tyres working, he can make the compounds as good or bad as he wants and no one takes the fall. Although it looks odds-on that Pirelli are going to get the deal next year.

Bring back the tyre wars! At least then we'll see some different approaches.

SGWilko
15th June 2010, 13:40
Problem is the difference between all the tracks means you would have to bespoke your tyre compounds on a race by race basis.

And that costs money. Lots of money.

The current offer from Pirelli is more favourable to the teams as it costs less per team. But the fact with Pirelli's offer, apart from being abundantly poor in the late eighties/early nineties at producing F1 rubber, is they will be spending the least amount possible to justify asking less wonga of the teams.

Small budget rules out bespoking tyres at every race. In fact, I imagine they will want to use as few tyres as possible to keep manufacturing costs down.

wedge
15th June 2010, 14:50

Its a double edged sword.

You can get bad races from bad tyres.

IMO - which I got from James Allen - is that the compounds should be a step closer together that induces variable tyre strategy. Currently the option tyre is too soft and the primes are too good (apart from Canada!)

V12
15th June 2010, 15:42
Bring back the tyre wars! At least then we'll see some different approaches.

Well that would be the sensible thing to do. Which means it probably won't happen :(