PDA

View Full Version : So...anybody going to Road America?

booger
15th June 2010, 04:23
If you are...go to the only gas station in Elkhart...buy 2 cases of Bud and get a free ticket to Saturday's race...I antiid up 50 bucks and didn't get the beer...sounds like Marlboro and the IRL to me...but if you don't have tickets...GET THE FREE TICKETS AND DON'T PAY!!!

slorydn1
15th June 2010, 11:33
If you are...go to the only gas station in Elkhart...buy 2 cases of Bud and get a free ticket to Saturday's race...I antiid up 50 bucks and didn't get the beer...sounds like Marlboro and the IRL to me...but if you don't have tickets...GET THE FREE TICKETS AND DON'T PAY!!!

I wish I was going. I actually turned a couple of hot laps in a fake shelby cobra (kit car-had a Chevy big block in it) there back in the late 80's....and it was a hoot. I am excited as all get out that Nascar is finally going there :up:

Thomer
15th June 2010, 17:20
...fake shelby cobra (kit car-had a Chevy big block in it)...

That is a crime against nature.

muggle not
16th June 2010, 01:01
From years gone by at Road America. It was only Marybeth's 3rd race in Trans Am. Part of our race report:

"Obviously, it would have been great to get more than 12 laps in," Harrison stated prior to the start of the afternoon race, "But I'm happy to have the opportunity to be here and we'll just do the best we can with what we have. Our major goal is to have a good clean race and move up as many positions as possible. The team all have bets on where we'll finish so we'll know in a couple of hours who's buying dinner tonight!"

After a clean start, Harrison had made it to an impressive 14th position (unofficial) when she was passed by Brian Simo who had had to make several trips to the pits during the race and was well back in the field. "I let Brian go by and then tucked up behind him so that I could follow him past the two guys in front of me," Harrison stated. "I figured they'd give Simo room and if I could stay close enough to him they'd have no choice but to let me by as well. Those two positions would have moved me up to 11th so I figured it was a good gamble if it paid off. Unfortunately, it didn't: one of the guys didn't see Brian and cut him off at the apex of the corner. Brian had to get hard on the brakes and I had to veer hard left onto the grass to avoid rear-ending him. The grass, because it's so slippery, caused me to pick up speed and I slid across the inside of the turn and ended up collecting Brian as I re-entered the track on the other side. We both spun out and although managed to get going again the two guys I'd been trying to pass were long gone. Now that wouldn't have been so bad but then I made matters worse by answering a black flag which turned out to be for a different car and that cost us - I don't know how many positions - while I sat in the pits. Our radio communications had gone down and my crew wasn’t able to tell me not to come in. Luckily my crew chief didn't waste too much time and sent me out again after a quick inspection but by then we'd dropped to 20th with no time to regain any positions before the checkered flag."

The Harrison/Simo incident was only one of a dozen crashes, wrecks and mechanical problems that occurred during one of the most action-packed races of the season. "I was happy to just finish," Harrison stated. "In addition to the one red flag which had us stopped for about 10 minutes, there were more yellow flags than I could count with cars going off, dirt and gravel on the track, emergency vehicles - it was crazy. At one point, I had to drive right off the track to avoid a complete block in Turn 7.

Overall though it was a lot of fun - what better way to spend your Saturday than racing a 650 hp race car around one of North America's best tracks.

wedge
16th June 2010, 14:52
That is a crime against nature.

No no

a crime against humanity!

Chevy and Shelby!!

slorydn1
16th June 2010, 17:05
That all may be true, but that car hauled the frieght down the front straight, LOL

harvick#1
16th June 2010, 17:51
I have no desire ever to go see a Nascar race at a Road Course.

tstran17_88
17th June 2010, 05:08
ummmm...yes I'm going. I was a season tix holder at the Mile...but the liberals that run our state f...'d that up. So at the very least....I want to see some sort of NASCAR racing in the state I grew up in and love!

e2mtt
17th June 2010, 14:27
I have no desire ever to go see a Nascar race at a Road Course.

Seriously? Watkins Glen puts on a fantastic show, one that your boy even won a couple of years ago.

harvick#1
17th June 2010, 16:32
Seriously? Watkins Glen puts on a fantastic show, one that your boy even won a couple of years ago.

Watkins Glen actually is the one race that isnt bad, because its a fast flowing road course.

but Nascar just doesnt know how to run local yellows, very rarely do they get it right and for some dirt thats kicked up on the track, they have to throw a full course debris caution instead of having the cars just push it off the track, Lemans 24 this past week had 2-3 SC period I think (one for the Mansell wreck, and the debris left from a 2 car wreck only because the track was covered in glass and carbon fiber parts, and I think there was one more but dont remember)

but Sonoma and Montreal is a Demo Derby on a circuit, led by the idiot Boris Said.