PDA

View Full Version : New F1 Idea. Poll, maybe?

Hondo
4th June 2010, 02:41
Pino, how about a poll on this for fun.

My great idea:

My Nissan Titan pickup has a sonar or radar built into the rear bumper that activates when the truck is in reverse. When an object is in range it beeps and beeps faster as you get closer to the object and finally becomes a steady tone a few inches before impact. With mirror visibility being so bad in F1 it seems like a "U" shaped ring of sensors going from the driver's right blind side around the back of the car to the left blind side could be installed with lights on the steering wheel and a warning tone in the earphones. A driver hearing the tone could check his wheel, see a flashing light on the right side of the wheel and would know there was a car there and movement to that side might result in contact.

Might work pretty well.

markabilly
4th June 2010, 02:52
or they could have some new regs that say the driver can not hide down in the car....and all that crap in front and to the side needs to go....

with the front area where the upper frront suspension hooks into the car, esp red bull and ferrari, and all the other stuff, I really do not know how they see much of anything

Sonic
4th June 2010, 07:50
Not sure. On the face of it, its an interesting idea, but it starts a slippery slope. Once you have radar what next? My old man's lexus can park itself, or perhaps Volvo's collision avoidance system so that we don't have a vet/webs shunt again?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&v=A_83efj9Xdg

Ermmmm. Or not. :D

Koz
4th June 2010, 09:36
Hell, put in some AI robot in there, which can measure the exact amount of traction etc and we can be rid of drivers, that's a lot of cost cutting I tell ya!

UltimateDanGTR
4th June 2010, 10:28
to be honest I am completely against the dea. It makes the things easier for the driver: which IMO, is certainly not what we want!

these are the best drivers in the world, they shouldn't need sensors to tell them where other cars are. the whole of motorsport has survived a century without it, we can manage without for the rest of eternity.

Mark
4th June 2010, 10:47
They do this in NASCAR in fact. Just that instead of sensors they have someone on the radio telling them where the cars are around them.

markabilly
4th June 2010, 11:10
Hell, put in some AI robot in there, which can measure the exact amount of traction etc and we can be rid of drivers, that's a lot of cost cutting I tell ya!
no doubt many f1 engineers think the same thing, esp after the chopper kettel bump......

wedge
4th June 2010, 15:22
Interesting idea but it won't stop drivers playing chicken by trying to intimidate the other a la Schumi and Vettel.

Hondo
4th June 2010, 15:34
to be honest I am completely against the dea. It makes the things easier for the driver: which IMO, is certainly not what we want!

these are the best drivers in the world, they shouldn't need sensors to tell them where other cars are. the whole of motorsport has survived a century without it, we can manage without for the rest of eternity.

Some of them are only the best at bringing sponsorship money with them.

nigelred5
4th June 2010, 16:21
We might as well go ahead and schedule 18 races on the gulf coast of Florida and Arizona for all the retirees that appreciate such "driver aides" for those that can't seem to turn their neck far enoug hto know there is a vehicle behind them.

Sounds like a feature better suited for the GP Masters series. ;)

nigelred5
4th June 2010, 16:23
They do this in NASCAR in fact. Just that instead of sensors they have someone on the radio telling them where the cars are around them.

Spotters are pretty common in all oval major racing to be honest.

nigelred5
4th June 2010, 16:24
Pino, how about a poll on this for fun.

My great idea:

My Nissan Titan pickup has a sonar or radar built into the rear bumper that activates when the truck is in reverse. When an object is in range it beeps and beeps faster as you get closer to the object and finally becomes a steady tone a few inches before impact. With mirror visibility being so bad in F1 it seems like a "U" shaped ring of sensors going from the driver's right blind side around the back of the car to the left blind side could be installed with lights on the steering wheel and a warning tone in the earphones. A driver hearing the tone could check his wheel, see a flashing light on the right side of the wheel and would know there was a car there and movement to that side might result in contact.

Might work pretty well.

or they could simply make the minimum size of the mirrors effective

Easy Drifter
4th June 2010, 19:33
At those speeds by the time the sensor went off and the driver noticed it they would have already hit if they were going to.

UltimateDanGTR
4th June 2010, 20:39
Some of them are only the best at bringing sponsorship money with them.

well, the current crop of F1 drivers are all capable IMO, some of them won't set the world alight in F1 but we currently don't have any 'gentlemen drivers' a la lavaggi and deletraz, F1 boasts the world's best racing drivers and always has regardless of the pay drivers, who were in the worst equipment anyway so it didnt make much difference. we don't need such aids in F1, as it has no need in the current F1 world.