PDA

View Full Version : So what do you think of Petrov now?

keysersoze
3rd June 2010, 16:03
Since Fisi left, I've adopted Vitaly as a driver I would cheer for and, with all the talk about the millions his dad gave to the team, was frankly worried that Robert would make VP look worse than he is. Well, Kubica has a big points advantage, but Petrov is showing that he's got potential.

Sure, he's made a splash at earlier races, first getting into a great dice with Lewis at Bahrain (?), then passing Schumacher and Webber in route to a 7th place finish a couple of races later, but in Turkey he made his biggest impression IMO. Although Kubica beat him by a half-second in qualifying, they were pretty much evenly matched until that point, and in the race Vitaly was no more than three seconds from Robert throughout.

Just interested in what you forum members think of him now that we are at the 1/3 point in the season.

I am evil Homer
3rd June 2010, 16:16
Got potential that much is certain and kept Kubica honest and I had similar worries that he could be another Grosjean! Certainly much better :)

However so far he's been under the radar - the real tests will come if Robert starts to beat him easily or when things go wrong, how he reacts that will show his character and ability.

I think he'll take it in his stride but sometimes you can never tell, sometimes it breaks talented drivers while others excel.

race_director
3rd June 2010, 16:41
He is a KICK ASS DRIVER :)

ArrowsFA1
3rd June 2010, 16:45
I've been impressed with his performances recently, but lets see how he shapes up over a whole season.

fandango
3rd June 2010, 18:13
He's doing great. We'll soon have a Russian GP if he keeps this up. Which makes me wonder why Bernie doesn't concentrate more on getting a top US driver into F1....

UltimateDanGTR
3rd June 2010, 18:56
He's doing great. We'll soon have a Russian GP if he keeps this up. Which makes me wonder why Bernie doesn't concentrate more on getting a top US driver into F1....

well with alexander rossi doing rather well in GP3, within a few years we may see a new american F1 driver. on another note, a couple of mexicans (guetierrez and perez) are looking good as well in GP3 and GP2 respectively, I'd say the near future of north america in F1 is not bad with a few good prospects shaping up.

jens
3rd June 2010, 19:29
To be honest, I don't think Petrov has been much better than Piquet was. Just the car is better, which makes him look quite good as he has managed to race inside points-paying positions for twice already. His battles for positions have been impressive though. But Vitali still has a long way to go to prove himself as a formidable force in F1. If he can put in drives like in Turkey week in week out, that would be good enough to be a decent #2 driver.

I'm personally not sure, who would I consider as the best rookie driver based on what I have seen so far. Maybe Kobayashi.

DazzlaF1
3rd June 2010, 20:15
To be honest, I don't think Petrov has been much better than Piquet was. Just the car is better, which makes him look quite good as he has managed to race inside points-paying positions for twice already. His battles for positions have been impressive though. But Vitali still has a long way to go to prove himself as a formidable force in F1. If he can put in drives like in Turkey week in week out, that would be good enough to be a decent #2 driver.

I'm personally not sure, who would I consider as the best rookie driver based on what I have seen so far. Maybe Kobayashi.

After last season, I would'nt really count Kobayashi as a rookie but of the rookies, Petrov has been the best by far which is a suprise becuase despite the lack of competitiveness of the Williams, I would have though Hulkenberg would have at least made an impression against Barrichello, instead the old timer is comprehensively beating the newbie. It would be difficult though to judge the other rookies (Chandhok, Senna & di Grassi) as they are driving for the new teams in cars that are not able yet to challenge the established ranks, maybe if they stick with their current teams next season and they get some better machinery to race with would be a better time to judge them.

Back to petrov though, I cant say im not impressed, at first I thought he had only got in because of his roubles but he has proved he is a talented driver in his own right, and that deserves some recognition. The target for him now is more points finishes and on his current form, i'll be suprised if he finishes the season with less than 30 points.

jens
3rd June 2010, 20:22
After last season, I would'nt really count Kobayashi as a rookie

Kobayashi had only 2 races before this season, his experience is basically as little as the rest of the rookies, so I find it pointless to count him differently. Surely everyone were saying by the time of the 2009 finale that Buemi was still a rookie (end of debut season), how is Kobayashi with less races less a rookie than he was at that time? Or if anyone joins mid-2010, then we are going to say that he is the only rookie on the grid and the di Grassis etc don't count as they are already much more experienced?

To me everyone, who hasn't raced for a full F1 season yet, are rookies. I count Alguersuari among them, so we currently have 7 rookies on the grid. He raced for less than half a season in 2009 and in 2010 we haven't reached half-mark of the season yet.

ioan
3rd June 2010, 20:27
Not a bad racer and a better rookie season so far than Heikki, and Piquet experienced.

That's mostly because he's not running against Alonso & Briatore, otherwise he would have been treated same as Piquet.

ioan
3rd June 2010, 20:28
Kobayashi had only 2 races before this season, his experience is basically as little as the rest of the rookies, so I find it pointless to count him differently.

Exactly. :up:

But then again he's Japanese and they are not loved around here, so every occasion to hit them is taken and if there is no such occasion then someone will create one out of thin air. ;)

DazzlaF1
3rd June 2010, 20:39
Kobayashi had only 2 races before this season, his experience is basically as little as the rest of the rookies, so I find it pointless to count him differently. Surely everyone were saying by the time of the 2009 finale that Buemi was still a rookie (end of debut season), how is Kobayashi with less races less a rookie than he was at that time? Or if anyone joins mid-2010, then we are going to say that he is the only rookie on the grid and the di Grassis etc don't count as they are already much more experienced?

To me everyone, who hasn't raced for a full F1 season yet, are rookies. I count Alguersuari among them, so we currently have 7 rookies on the grid. He raced for less than half a season in 2009 and in 2010 we haven't reached half-mark of the season yet.

I just see it as that Koba (and Alguersuari for that matter) have raced in a previous F1 season and in my eyes, that does not make them rookies, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Im not criticising Koba though, I like him as a driver and think he's doing a good job with what looks like a fragile car, it just makes me wonder as to what he can do with a more competitive car, maybe we'll get to find out as the season goes on.

Roamy
4th June 2010, 05:04
Petrov is doing a good aggressive job of getting into F1. Kubica still kicks his ass so he looks like a reasonable driver but if you think he is going to be special he needs to haul in kubica right away. I think perhaps Lewis was the last star quality to enter F1.

RJL25
4th June 2010, 08:33
He has had moments of patchyness which DID make him look like a pay driver rather then a driver of any real substance, however his recent performances including being faster then Kubica in the first two sessions of qualifying in Turkey, suggest that his earlier patchyness was just him coming to grips with F1, its a big step up!

I believe he is an extreemly good driver and has strong future in front of him, he is good enough to be in F1 for a decade or more, good enough to be a GP winner and Renault would do very well to keep him on for next season and beyond.

Koz
4th June 2010, 08:53
I believe he is an extreemly good driver and has strong future in front of him, he is good enough to be in F1 for a decade or more, good enough to be a GP winner and Renault would do very well to keep him on for next season and beyond.

You are saying this based on one good race?

I think you are getting ahead of yourself there buddy... Hell Damon Hill didn't even make it for a decade...

jens
4th June 2010, 09:22

Precisely. It's worth remembering that Piquet put in one good drive in the first half of 2008 too, when he actually beat Alonso in France. Where is he now? Let's come back to Petrov, when he has put in three turkeyesque drives in a row. Even this so far underwhelming Hülkenberg has outqualified Barrichello for twice, something that Petrov is yet to do against his team-mate.

RJL25
4th June 2010, 09:40

I think you are getting ahead of yourself there buddy... Hell Damon Hill didn't even make it for a decade...

Umm excuse me, where did I say he WOULD be in F1 for a decade? I say he is GOOD ENOUGH to win in F1 and hang around for a considerable period of time, up to a decade yes, he has the ABILITY to do that, I never said he WOULD do that however. If you wish to quote me, please quote me accurately.

And I am basing this on a number of performances over the course of the season. He has put in a few dud performances which made him look like he was struggling, but he is a rookie after all, but he has also done some things which HAVE shown he is good enough to develop into an extreemly good race driver.

Not everyone has the opportunity to start their F1 careers with Mclaren...

RJL25
4th June 2010, 09:49
As for Kobayashi, I was quite surprised to hear Martin Brundle say he was increasingly synical of his performances last year and Toyota was just trying to keep a Japanese driver in F1 by making him look better then he was, now what was he suggesting their? Was he suggesting Toyota where breaking the rules to make their car faster then it was in some way to make him look like a superstar? Big accusation to make...

He drove that dog of a Toyota and looked very good in it, Mr. Brundle who we all know is bitter about the fact his F1 career never reached any great heights, should not try to take that away from him just because he has struggled in the Sauber.

The Sauber has been a dog, but he has been improving in the last few races I feel and is doing an ok job. Fernando Alonso didn't look particularly flash when he was driving for Minardi either!

Martin Brundle also unnecessarily attacked Fernando Alonso during the turkish GP telecast by saying he was a miserable little so and so to interview, bloody hell the guy doesn't speak English as a first language! He is Spannish! A lot of people are not always overly comfortable speaking in a language that is not natural to them, and as a public figure everything Fernando says is scruitanised to death so you can't blame the guy for being nervous when being interviewed in English! Anyone remember Mika Hakkinen? Martin Brundle is the one who is a miserable so and so if you ask me and is becoming increasingly bitter about the world and towards other drivers

jens
4th June 2010, 15:52
Fernando Alonso didn't look particularly flash when he was driving for Minardi either!

Actually he did. He often qualified the worst car on the grid to P17-P19.

jens
14th June 2010, 10:57
Canadian GP weekend showed that Petrov still has a long way to go. As I said, as long as he hasn't put in at least 3 decent showings in a row, there is no point in jumping the gun and hyping him up. Even if we exclude the unlucky incident in Turkey and add 2 points to his tally, he would still be getting trashed by 8-73 by Kubica. And that would make 2-29 in old points system! In reality this is no better than Piquet.

christophulus
14th June 2010, 11:43
He'll probably see out the season but he'll have to step up soon. Once again shows how much the rookies are struggling without testing, none of them has really shone this year.

Ranger
14th June 2010, 11:49
I still would have preferred Heidfeld in that seat.

Mia 01
14th June 2010, 13:03
I still would have preferred Heidfeld in that seat.

Yes, it´s a waste. Nick is a better driver than Robert. In top seven on the current grid.

keysersoze
14th June 2010, 18:31
I agree with all this. As I posted in the "Donkeys" thread, Petrov stunk it up this weekend. Oh dear.

rohanweb
14th June 2010, 21:08
I rate Petrov better than Massa nowdays..
he is making mistakes like any new driver, but he is fast enough in the renault, comonguys he is a rookie and needs some coaching / advice / some more experience.. he can do well.

I cant stand Alonso like guys complaining of ''back markers'' spoiling thier race..WTF they were like that few years back wielding left and right to Michael schumacher and Mika hakkinen. put up and shut up, let the rookies drive.

Allyc85
14th June 2010, 21:17
Petrov better than Massa and Heidfeld better then Kubica?

Il have some of what you guys are smoking it must be good stuff!

Big Ben
14th June 2010, 21:38
I think I shall let him a few more races before thinking anything about him. However without the russian money I doubt he would have been chosen over NH.

Retro Formula 1
15th June 2010, 17:12
Rumour is it's a possibility he will make way for Kimi.

pino
15th June 2010, 17:38
I like Petrov a lot and I hope soon he will show his talent ;)

Tazio
15th June 2010, 19:14
I think he had a really bad race, but I still think he belongs!

Big Ben
16th June 2010, 15:02
I don't think. It hurts. But he should be given more time. Last year after a few races many inhere were starting to look for torches, pitchforks and stuff to go after JA but in the end proved to be not that bad really.

Anubis
16th June 2010, 16:25
Second Renault seat does seem to be something of a deadzone in recent years. Makes you wonder if the equipment is less than equal or if they're just taking lesser drivers* with fat sponsors to keep the balance sheet looking healthy? Starting to look a little like the Schumacher years at Benetton.

*Or to be kind to Petrov, not quite ready drivers

Roamy
17th June 2010, 15:31
I think he is likely headed for Siberia

Mia 01
17th June 2010, 19:05
No good, tha´s Petrov.

Saint Devote
20th June 2010, 03:56
Petrov is coming along fine, he has demonstrated good form but has to settle down and be consistent.

But another Russian headed for f1, Mikhail Aleshin, is doing very well indeed in FR3.5 this year.

His prize for leading the championship midway was a test in an f1 Renault last week. Good reports from the Renault team.

Sleeper
20th June 2010, 21:32
He's turning into a decent, solid driver but I dont see anything in him to suggest future world champion.

woody2goody
20th June 2010, 21:48
As for Kobayashi, I was quite surprised to hear Martin Brundle say he was increasingly synical of his performances last year and Toyota was just trying to keep a Japanese driver in F1 by making him look better then he was, now what was he suggesting their? Was he suggesting Toyota where breaking the rules to make their car faster then it was in some way to make him look like a superstar? Big accusation to make...

He drove that dog of a Toyota and looked very good in it, Mr. Brundle who we all know is bitter about the fact his F1 career never reached any great heights, should not try to take that away from him just because he has struggled in the Sauber.

The Sauber has been a dog, but he has been improving in the last few races I feel and is doing an ok job. Fernando Alonso didn't look particularly flash when he was driving for Minardi either!

Martin Brundle also unnecessarily attacked Fernando Alonso during the turkish GP telecast by saying he was a miserable little so and so to interview, bloody hell the guy doesn't speak English as a first language! He is Spannish! A lot of people are not always overly comfortable speaking in a language that is not natural to them, and as a public figure everything Fernando says is scruitanised to death so you can't blame the guy for being nervous when being interviewed in English! Anyone remember Mika Hakkinen? Martin Brundle is the one who is a miserable so and so if you ask me and is becoming increasingly bitter about the world and towards other drivers

Well, first of all, Alonso was awesome in the Minardi - go and find the timesheets from 2001 and see how he beat drivers in much better cars in Japan and other races.

Also, how was the Toyota a dog? It led races earlier in the season, scored 5 podium finishes, nearly 60 points, and took pole in Bahrain. Glock for example, scored a podium two races earlier in Singapore I believe.

Kobayashi has flattered to deceive in some respects, because yeah, he came in and did a good job in the Toyota, but that was a team that Kamui had tested for for a few years, and a car which he would have been somewhat familiar with. Brundle wasn't inferring some sort of foul play I'm sure.

This year, new team, new car and Kobayashi is delivering sporadically. Inconsistency seem to be his main problem, because he seems decent in quali and a little slow in races. I like the guy though and want him to do well.

And Alonso is fairly miserable at times, so that is a valid point by Brundle.