PDA

View Full Version : TOCA2 Practice Round

tannat
3rd June 2010, 13:24
Well, lets see if this can fly. A five car grid would be nice....

Track Brands Hatch Indy

RACE 1
-------
5 Laps
Qualifying allowed
Weather Sunny
Difficulty Expert

RACE 2
-------
10 Laps
NO QUALIFYING (back of grid start)
Weather Rain
Difficulty Easy

Please submit entries as follows:

Forum name
Country
Car
Race team

For race 1 submit qualifying time, fastest lap, and total race time.

For race 2 submit fastest lap and total time by PM to Tannat by Wednesday, June 9 at midnight.

Cheers,

Tannat

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd June 2010, 13:57
Brown, Jon Brow (JB)

United Kingdom

Renault Laguna

Williams Renault

tannat
3rd June 2010, 14:25
Brown, Jon Brow (JB)

United Kingdom

Renault Laguna

Williams Renault

Good to see you back, Mr Brown ;) :p

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd June 2010, 15:52
Are set-ups allowed?

tannat
3rd June 2010, 17:07
Are set-ups allowed?

Yes

Macd
3rd June 2010, 18:43
Macd
Scotland
renault laguna

is there a cheat to unlock all difficulties? I dont have a save file :(

tannat
3rd June 2010, 19:02
http://cheats.freeola.com/pc-games_i/toca-2-touring-cars_1056.html

#1JamesThompsonFan
4th June 2010, 08:40
#1JamesThompsonFan
Eng
Vodafone Nissan
Nissan Primera

Brown, Jon Brow
4th June 2010, 13:57
Just went for a lap around Brands and smashed by brothers old lap record. :p These cars are really satisfying to drive.

tannat
4th June 2010, 18:03
Tannat
USA
Honda Accord
Team Honda BTCC

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh15/tannatmadiran/HONDABTCC.jpg

52Paddy
5th June 2010, 12:25
52Paddy
Ireland
Volvo S40
Volvo Cummins Power

tannat
5th June 2010, 12:27
52Paddy
Ireland
Volvo S40
Volvo Cummins Power

Cheers, Paddy :up:

52Paddy
6th June 2010, 22:36
I did both races this evening.

Race 1: The qualifying lap was not great. I knew I had backed off way too much at Druids so only landed 6th on the grid. This made life a little difficult off the line. I was making up positions on the opening lap but by McLaren corner, I went wide. In an attempt to make it back to the racing line, I got t-boned by a Vauxhall (not entirely his fault) and spun, dropping way down the order to 15th. I was being chased hard by a Peugeot then and, on lap 3, he decided to take a wild move down the inside of Paddock Hill. He touched me, the car became unstable and I spun, losing more time. The rest of the race was incident free but I still only managed 15th place in the race.

Race 2: Fortunes did not improve for race 2. Being last on the grid would make for a hectic opening lap or two. And, indeed, entering Surtees on the first lap, a Nissan decides to drive painfully slow through the complex. I ploughed into the back of him and spun onto the grass. On lap 2, at McLaren (leading the race at this stage), I spun on my own accord. I was about to realise that grip was hard to find in these conditions. On lap 4, I was coming through Paddock Hill but kept my line a little too far left. There is a nasty bump here which will erratically upset the balance of your car. I found out the result of it first hand. More time lost. I met the first crop of back-markers on lap 6. In some wild lapse of concentration, I badly judged the racing line at Surtees again and spun. On lap 7, going through Paddock again this time, I just lost control of the car, again not realising how little grip was on the track. And I didn't get to see any more of the replay as it decided to end coverage of my race there, but I think it was generally uneventful.

Conclusion: Definitely far-cry from the decent driving I had at this game back in circa 2005. But, nonetheless, I do love playing this game and if a league does start up: 1) I'll certainly race in it and 2) I'm fully confident that I can regain some of the form from previous years and run comfortably in the midfield. I think I scored a podium or two in the 2005 series for the record. :)

tannat
7th June 2010, 22:28
2 sets of times thus far..

Plan to do my run tomorrow AM :D

52Paddy
7th June 2010, 23:26
Who else finished then? Care to give a report Mr Anonymous? :p :

Alfa Fan
8th June 2010, 01:07
Alfa Fan
UK
Renault Laguna
Blend 37 Racing

I'll try to run this tomorrow evening!

tannat
8th June 2010, 01:10
Alfa Fan
UK
Renault Laguna
Blend 37 Racing

I'll try to run this tomorrow evening!

Welcome back, Alfa fan :up:

tannat
8th June 2010, 01:11
Who else finished then? Care to give a report Mr Anonymous? :p :

So far you and jamesthompson #1 :p

tannat
8th June 2010, 13:42
Did a practice round this morning and am off the pace by an embarassing amount.... :(

#1JamesThompsonFan
8th June 2010, 13:51
Good to know I am in the top 2 so far... lol :eek:

tannat
8th June 2010, 15:40
I am thinking there may be a very good reason why half the field has chosen Lagunas as their mount.......

:devil:

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2010, 18:05
I chose a Laguna because I thought everyone was going to drive a Nissan.

I might move to a Ford because I like the V6 engine noise.

tannat
8th June 2010, 18:25
I chose a Laguna because I thought everyone was going to drive a Nissan.

I might move to a Ford because I like the V6 engine noise.

But will you like the lap times :D

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2010, 18:40
But will you like the lap times :D

I'll give it a go, but if I can't get close to my Renault times i'll stick with the Williams team.

tannat
8th June 2010, 19:17
I'd love to hear feedback from everyone on setups as well as the faster/slower cars in the championship.

I think we will all agree the Peugeot is a dog....

52Paddy
8th June 2010, 19:29
I'd love to hear feedback from everyone on setups as well as the faster/slower cars in the championship.

I can't stand the Peugeot. I raced it at the beginning of the series here a few years ago, thinking I could get something out of it. But no.

The Volvo is very good on flat, smooth tracks like Thruxton and Silverstone. But I think the best cars I've driven have been the Nissan and Honda which just seem great overall. Don't know enough about the others.

I mostly leave setup alone, though should probably consider working on it from now on. Obviously, for Thruxton and other very fast tracks the gear ratio should be set to the highest.

I wonder about tyres though. Running Brands in the wet, my tyre selection was "intermediates" by default but, as I knew it would be raining all race long, I changed it to "wets". Could that have contributed to a lack of grip? Would seem odd if so because it was raining constantly.

Allyc85
8th June 2010, 19:53
Woohoo my version turned up today :D

My first impression was.... its a bit different to Forza isnt it LOL

#1JamesThompsonFan
8th June 2010, 20:13
Allyc85, Welcome to the best game in the world and its 12 years old! lol

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2010, 20:17

I always change my set-up. High gears (even for a tight track like Brands), stiff suspension and low downforce. Some cars need brake bias moved forwards.

I tried the Ford and I was a second slower than I was with the Renault. The Vauxhall was even worse, a very tricky car to drive and gives no warning that it is going to spin.

I found the 406 easier to drive than the Ford and Vauxhall on the limit but ultimataly it is not as fast.

The Honda is a good car. It is very stable at high speed and good under brakes.

Alfa Fan
8th June 2010, 22:30
I've sadly had to withdraw as I've just discovered the game has been moved to storage whilst the house was being renovated :( I shall the championship ASAP!

tannat
8th June 2010, 22:43
I've sadly had to withdraw as I've just discovered the game has been moved to storage whilst the house was being renovated :( I shall the championship ASAP!

Cheers

Hope to have you back, Alfa Fan...

tannat
8th June 2010, 22:44
I always change my set-up. High gears (even for a tight track like Brands), stiff suspension and low downforce. Some cars need brake bias moved forwards.

The Honda is a good car. It is very stable at high speed and good under brakes.

Maybe this is why I'm so slow at the moment. Think I'm running too much downforce, and too soft suspension....

MrJan
9th June 2010, 08:38
I've got football and will be going to the pub tonight but will see if I've got time to get these races in at some point. Oh and which midnight are we using?

Mr Jan Yeo
England
Renault Laguna
Whatever the Renault team is called :D

Brown, Jon Brow
9th June 2010, 09:10
That second race was a bit of a nightmare. I got in the lead from the back row at Graham Hill bend and then pulled away easily. I started lapping cars on lap 4 and started to lose around 4 seconds per lap in traffic. On lap 7 I tried to lap a Vauxhall and an Audi at the outside of the left hander at Surtees. I went off-line, got a wheel on the grass and got a huge tank slapper. I held the first part of the slide but over corrected and span the other way. I still put 2 laps on everyone though.

tannat
9th June 2010, 12:30
I've got football and will be going to the pub tonight but will see if I've got time to get these races in at some point. Oh and which midnight are we using?

Mr Jan Yeo
England
Renault Laguna
Whatever the Renault team is called :D

Welcome Jan

The final midnight-let's call it Hawaii time....

tannat
9th June 2010, 12:31
2 sets of times thus far..

Plan to do my run tomorrow AM :D

Now have Jon Browns times and race one from myself..

tannat
9th June 2010, 12:52
After having a frustrating initiation with the Honda I spent some real quality time with the game last evening..

Finally got my times to where they were acceptable, but doubt I will be driving the Honda in the championship. Running a mild amount of downforce it is a willing spinner (at least with my PS1 wingpad driving setup) and I could approach its times in the Audi and Ford without trying to hard.

I was able to best my times in all cars I tried with the Renault by 1 second.

While I don't think the Renault is the only hot ticket on the game, I do think it is one of them.

I am thinking for the championship we will do one of a few things, either

1) Everyone swap teams mid season
2) Everyone to swap teams each round
3) Assign success 'ballast' in the form of auto transmissions, default setups or the like
4) Other ideas?

In a way I hate to do this as marque allegiance is such a strong point of the BTCC, however I feel some parity must be achieved amongst everyone, and at least have level field for the drivers.

Curious of everyone's thoughts. Please keep in mind these observations are not only confined to this little practice session but are also from past TOCA2 seasons on the forum.

MrJan
9th June 2010, 13:40
Curious of everyone's thoughts. Please keep in mind these observations are not only confined to this little practice session but are also from past TOCA2 seasons on the forum.

Random cars could be a possibility, or form some sort of rota so that everyone has to drive each car. An extreme option could be to say that everyone drives the same car in each round but then you lose part of the point.

tannat
9th June 2010, 18:28
Eight BTCC tracks-Eight marques :D

Guess what I am thinking....

If anyone needs an extension let me know.

Just four confirmed finishers thus far....

MrJan
9th June 2010, 18:48
Hit a slight problem with this. Because I'm playing on PS3 I have none of my save data and haven't unlocked the difficulties. Had a look for cheats to unlock stuff but couldn't find any :(

tannat
9th June 2010, 19:14
Hit a slight problem with this. Because I'm playing on PS3 I have none of my save data and haven't unlocked the difficulties. Had a look for cheats to unlock stuff but couldn't find any :(

http://cheats.freeola.com/pc-games_i...cars_1056.html

52Paddy
10th June 2010, 08:27
I like the sound of "swap cars for every round". It also makes it quite tactical. Do I use the Peugeot at a track I'm comfortable with, or one I've no luck on at all? :p :

Also, I don't think there is a cheat to unlock all of the difficulty levels. But, if you win a race at a particular track on novice difficulty level, it opens up standard difficulty level. And the same is true for standard/expert. So, basically, if you want to compete at a venue where expert level is need, you will just be required to complete 2 races at the venue (novice, standard) in order to race. That's not a big deal given 1) you can select 1 lap races and do it in a matter of minutes and 2) it could act as a practice opportunity for the actual race if you don't like driving in isolation.

MrJan
10th June 2010, 09:08
I like the sound of "swap cars for every round". It also makes it quite tactical. Do I use the Peugeot at a track I'm comfortable with, or one I've no luck on at all? :p :

Also, I don't think there is a cheat to unlock all of the difficulty levels. But, if you win a race at a particular track on novice difficulty level, it opens up standard difficulty level. And the same is true for standard/expert. So, basically, if you want to compete at a venue where expert level is need, you will just be required to complete 2 races at the venue (novice, standard) in order to race. That's not a big deal given 1) you can select 1 lap races and do it in a matter of minutes and 2) it could act as a practice opportunity for the actual race if you don't like driving in isolation.

Sweet.

I was doing the novice race last night but my gran phoned (she's 92) and said that she was in 'big trouble' so I had to dash up to hers before 6 a-side. Turns out that the 'big trouble' was that she'd switched her digi box to standby and thought that she'd broken it. By the time I got there she had it working anyway.

I was struggling quite badly anyway, kept hitting the kerbs and spinning.

A fairly clean lap was getting me about mid 41s. How does that stack up to other people (no point me wasting acres of time if I'm 2-3 seconds a lap down (or worse)

Brown, Jon Brow
10th June 2010, 10:56
Sweet.

I was doing the novice race last night but my gran phoned (she's 92) and said that she was in 'big trouble' so I had to dash up to hers before 6 a-side. Turns out that the 'big trouble' was that she'd switched her digi box to standby and thought that she'd broken it. By the time I got there she had it working anyway.

I was struggling quite badly anyway, kept hitting the kerbs and spinning.

A fairly clean lap was getting me about mid 41s. How does that stack up to other people (no point me wasting acres of time if I'm 2-3 seconds a lap down (or worse)

41s in the rain.

MrJan
10th June 2010, 11:26
41s in the rain.

Good, good. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't completely wasting my time due to a lack of talent. I don't care if I'm last every time I enter but I don't want to be miles off the pace.

tannat
10th June 2010, 14:53
I'll try to get results up as soon as I can.

Race two closer than race one :D

tannat
10th June 2010, 16:30
Pole position wen to the Honda of Jon Brown followe dby the Nissan of JTFAN#1, Tannat also in a Honda and Paddy 52 in the Volvo.

While fastest lap in the race wen to JTFAN#1 the win was Jon Brown's by 8 seconds + over the Honda of Tannat. JTFAN#1 came home third follwoed by Paddy52 in the Volvo.

I would embellish on description, but am at work :D

Race 1-Brands Hatch Indy-5 laps-Sunny-Expert Level

Pos---Driver--------Car---------Q--------F-------Overall time
1-----Jon Brown---Honda----38.00---39.13----3:24.55
2-----Tannat-------Honda----40.12---40.24----3:32.89
3-----JTFAN#1----Nissan----38.67---38.56----3:46.21
4-----Paddy52----Volvo------41.67---?????----3:54.78

tannat
10th June 2010, 16:36
Cracker of a finish in race two with the Honda of Jon Brown barely nudging the lights ahead of the Nissan JTFAN#1. Tannat trailed this group by just over 13 seconds, suffering a spin on the final lap with Paddy52 finsishing 4th in the Volvo.

Race 2-Brands Hatch Indy-10 laps-Rain-Novice Level

Pos---Driver--------Car---------F-----Overall time
1-----Jon Brown---Honda---41.63----7:33.14
2-----JTFAN#1----Nissan---41.40----7:34.42
3-----Tannat-------Audi-----41.66----7:47.97
4-----Paddy52----Volvo-----43.09----8:38.76

tannat
10th June 2010, 16:38
Guys, I'll develop rules and an eight race calendar. Thread will appear probably this coming Monday.

Feel free to leave your thoughts on how the champiosnhip should be structured.

As it stands I am thinking 8 races with each competitor driving 1 of the eight different marques in each round......

MrJan
10th June 2010, 17:00
Guys, I'll develop rules and an eight race calendar. Thread will appear probably this coming Monday.

Feel free to leave your thoughts on how the champiosnhip should be structured.

As it stands I am thinking 8 races with each competitor driving 1 of the eight different marques in each round......

Sounds good chap. Driving each of the cars creates a good level playing field. It might be quite good to have the order of tracks released and then people nominate which car they want to use at which track, then sort the weather out later to add some interest to the mix. That might turn out to be a nightmare though

52Paddy
10th June 2010, 19:16
Sounds good chap. Driving each of the cars creates a good level playing field. It might be quite good to have the order of tracks released and then people nominate which car they want to use at which track, then sort the weather out later to add some interest to the mix.

Yup, sounds good to me :)

Not good results from me but I expected that because I had a horrid time driving and did no setup work.

Allyc85
10th June 2010, 19:45
I really cant get on with this game at the moment, I used to kick my mates asses when I had it on the Playstation! I cant seem to set up the buttons how I want them with my pad and im either going very slow or spinning madly!

Will keep trying though!

tannat
10th June 2010, 19:52
Yup, sounds good to me :)

Not good results from me but I expected that because I had a horrid time driving and did no setup work.

I found downforce plays a huge role in lap times (which I find a bit silly, at least fro wings this small)..

tannat
10th June 2010, 19:53
I really cant get on with this game at the moment, I used to kick my mates asses when I had it on the Playstation! I cant seem to set up the buttons how I want them with my pad and im either going very slow or spinning madly!

Will keep trying though!

Hope you can join us for the season, Allyc85

MrJan
10th June 2010, 20:59
Dammit. Just did the 2nd race (novice/wet) and was put in solid 42 after 42 until the 7th lap when I got distracted by a Pug that I was about to overtake and ended up in the gravel at Druids, losing acres of time. Then I ditched it at Paddock Hill for the next few laps as well so ruined my time.

Fastest lap - 41.95
Race time - 8:01.60

tannat
10th June 2010, 21:11
Dammit. Just did the 2nd race (novice/wet) and was put in solid 42 after 42 until the 7th lap when I got distracted by a Pug that I was about to overtake and ended up in the gravel at Druids, losing acres of time. Then I ditched it at Paddock Hill for the next few laps as well so ruined my time.

Fastest lap - 41.95
Race time - 8:01.60

This is a good time, JY. Fast lap tells the story.

What was your mount?

MrJan
10th June 2010, 21:41
Driving the Laguna but softened the suspension a bit which really helped as it can be a bit unstable in the wet.

Just had a few attempts at the Expert race. I kept getting caught out by the bump at the bottom of the first corner and kept restarting in frustration. Finally put a run in that I was happy with (even with 2 half spins on the last corner) and got a 3:32.41 with fastest lap of 39.48 and qualifying 39.60.

Like I say I had a few attempts, it's been a long time since I picked up this game so trying to get some decent track time to learn it again. The cars are so twitchy and there are lots of little bumps on the tracks which unsettle the car and send it flying all over the place. Difficult to catch sideways moments as well.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th June 2010, 21:57
I did a time trail in the Laguna and got down to a 37.3x (dry)

Jan has v.good outright pace. Did you have a few spins in the race?

MrJan
10th June 2010, 22:12
Yeah I can't put in consistently quick laps. I'm doing a championship and just did a wet Donnington where I must have spun about 15 times in the feature race. I still managed to win (think it might be on easy) but it's just irritating. I've always been the same on all racing games, I struggle to drive within my limits :D

Brown, Jon Brow
10th June 2010, 22:19
Yeah I can't put in consistently quick laps. I'm doing a championship and just did a wet Donnington where I must have spun about 15 times in the feature race. I still managed to win (think it might be on easy) but it's just irritating. I've always been the same on all racing games, I struggle to drive within my limits :D

It is very hard to drive qualifying times in the race, lap-after-lap. I found a lap time that I felt comfortable with and stuck to with a few tenths of it. That might explain why you had a faster lap in the race.

306 Cosworth
10th June 2010, 22:55
Good luck with it James [ :up: ] I sadly don't have the time anymore what with working during the week, and too much TV camera work at weekends now. Hope it all goes well as I remember having immense fun when it was last run.

Oh and FYI Toca 2 will work on any original 60GB PS3. These were the only models backward compatible.

MrJan
10th June 2010, 22:58
Also works on 120GB slimline :up:

tannat
11th June 2010, 12:13
Good luck with it James [ :up: ] I sadly don't have the time anymore what with working during the week, and too much TV camera work at weekends now. Hope it all goes well as I remember having immense fun when it was last run.

Oh and FYI Toca 2 will work on any original 60GB PS3. These were the only models backward compatible.

Cheers Cossie. Hope all is well your way....

Who is James? :p