PDA

View Full Version : Collisions in the battle for the race lead

jens
31st May 2010, 11:51
Considering that such occurrences we saw yesterday are quite rare, it made me thinking, when was the last time we saw a collision in a battle for the race lead. Villeneuve-Schumacher? :D And if we include the factor of team-mates, Prost-Senna? :p : It is also worth noting that those collisions took place in the culmination of a championship fight, so there was a suspicion of deliberate moves. Then what was the last "normal" crash? Hill-Schumacher at Silverstone in '95?(iirc they weren't in the lead at Monza) If we include race starts, examples can be found from the first three races of 2002 and Austria 1999.

steveaki13
31st May 2010, 17:35
Wasn't there a collision in erm... 98 or 99 between Hakkinen and Coulthard going into the second corner at Austria.

Doc Austin
19th March 2014, 22:28
Remember the Red Bull teammates colliding while racing for the lead in Turkey?

steveaki13
21st March 2014, 10:26
Borderline collsion, but Montoya ran wide and force Schumacher M off the track in Austria 2001 and as I mention before Coulthard punted Hakkinen off in turn 2 in 99 Austria.

M. Schumacher v Villeneuve must be the last epic Championship collision for a Race lead.

I remember Schumacher v Hill obviously too, but I cant remember if they were 1 & 2 at the time.

Then the Prost v Senna battles in 89 & 90.

D28
21st March 2014, 16:07
In Australia 94 Schumacher was leading with Hill rapidly catching him when they tangled.

D-Type
21st March 2014, 22:10
Stirling Moss and Peter Collins at Monaco in 1957

journeyman racer
21st March 2014, 23:25
I was at the 1992 Australian GP, where Senna ploughed into Mansell.

D28
22nd March 2014, 15:27
If we go outside of F1 there are quite a few instances of this.
The most dramatic I saw was the 1989 Indy 500 where Fittipaldi and Unser Jr. touched on the penultimate lap. Fittipaldi took the win, while Unser sportingly gave him the thumbs up from the infield.
The 1976 Daytona 500 saw David Pearson and Richard Petty collied and wreck on the final corner, Pearson was able to creep across the line for the win. Probably lots more of these in NASCAR, this is just the most dramatic.

anfield5
26th March 2014, 00:51
Remember the Red Bull teammates colliding while racing for the lead in Turkey?

Correct this was in 2010 when Webber was told to move over for Vettel, they collided and Vettel retired, while Webber limped on.

airshifter
10th April 2014, 07:14
Correct this was in 2010 when Webber was told to move over for Vettel, they collided and Vettel retired, while Webber limped on.

Actually Mark was told to turn his car down, then Vettel forced a bad line IMO. Mark held his position leaving room but Vettel moved over into him.

At the time team orders were banned. From what came out later I don't quite understand why RB wasn't investigated.

After the RB incident, Jenson and Lewis almost tangled for the lead as well, under similar suspicious circumstances. After both being told to conserve fuel, Jenson attacked, and Lewis wasn't having it.

D-Type
10th April 2014, 08:08
Are there any examples from rallies? I vaguely recall reading of a couple of incidents.

henners88
10th April 2014, 09:21
Webber was never asked to move over for Vettel in that race. He was told to turn his engine down and apparently Vettel wasn't given the same command. Seb caused a rather unnecessary accident If I remember :)

steveaki13
10th April 2014, 16:20
Webber was never asked to move over for Vettel in that race. He was told to turn his engine down and apparently Vettel wasn't given the same command. Seb caused a rather unnecessary accident If I remember :)

You blind bro? :fasttalk:
Seb did nowt wrong and never does remember. ;)

airshifter
10th April 2014, 20:16
You blind bro? :fasttalk:
Seb did nowt wrong and never does remember. ;)

IIRC we had about 20-25 pages of how some thought turning into another driver and causing a collision is OK if you get a nose ahead. If that was the case drivers could force bad lines all the time and get away with it.

D-Type
10th April 2014, 20:30
Enough!

Discussions on this forum must be based on factual evidence not merely opinion.

airshifter
11th April 2014, 10:38
Enough!

Discussions on this forum must be based on factual evidence not merely opinion.

My apologies for dragging the discussion towards opinion. I wish we had the full thread from the forum for photo references, but it appears that it has been chopped during the forum rebuild.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/videos/977/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4694689/accident_mark_webber_and_sebastian_vettel_turkey_2 010/

steveaki13
25th August 2014, 22:26
Well its not history but despite it being pretty tame we had the latest incident in Spa.

That is a tap compared to others mentioned here, but if this leads to further altercations in the rest of this season, it may become historically important

AAReagles
28th September 2014, 04:19
Didn't Lauda and Regazzoni take each other out right after the start at Brands Hatch, leading into the first corner?..... when they were Ferrari teammates?

AAReagles
28th September 2014, 04:26
Didn't Lauda and Regazzoni take each other out right after the start at Brands Hatch, while leading the field into the first corner?..... when they were Ferrar teammates?

Edit: wasn't able to correct earlier post-sorry

Doc Austin
25th October 2014, 07:15
Didn't Lauda and Regazzoni take each other out right after the start at Brands Hatch, leading into the first corner?..... when they were Ferrari teammates?

I thought I remembered something like that, but I had to Google it. It was Brands hatch in 76.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taIHHq-6cYQ

BDunnell
26th October 2014, 01:49
Are there any examples from rallies? I vaguely recall reading of a couple of incidents.

Well, there was one quite (in)famous one on the 1987 Scottish Rally, shown from about 4:30 in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz9qWUAZaI8

Brown, Jon Brow
28th October 2014, 11:35
Hulkenberg and Hamilton at Brazil in 2012 when they were fighting for the lead while trying to lap the Caterham.

AAReagles
1st May 2015, 05:21
I thought I remembered something like that, but I had to Google it. It was Brands hatch in 76.

Ah yeah, thanks Doc. That makes sense because for a while Brands was on even years and the Stone' was on odd years. This occured 2 years before I discovered my addiction. Not as odd and shocking as the start of the 82' Indianapolis 500. But still interesting nonetheless.

Amazing there wasn't more occurances between then and the (cough-cough) Great (hack) Schumi era.