PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Jordans take on the Vettel-Webber collision

Zico
30th May 2010, 23:20
I know its being discussed on the donkey of the race thread but I feel the incident deserves a more in depth look.

I was only fortunate to watch the highlights on BBC Interactive. It was interesting to here Christian Horners 2nd take on the incident as well as Eddie Jordans opinion of disgust that Vettel was being favoured by the team.

Horner pointed part of the blame towards Mark for not giving him enough room despite it being a clear case of Sebastian simply driving into the side of Mark as though he had the God given right to force Mark to yield. I cant understand how people on here are seeing it differently! The overall view is currently sitting at 71% pointing the finger at Vettel here.. http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/05/30/webber-and-vettel-lose-one-two-finish-for-red-bull-after-collision/

Vettel said:

"I was able to go quicker the two or three laps before. I had the corner on the left and was just trying to focus on braking point and all of a sudden I lost the car. You can see on the television we made contact.

I’m not kind of guy that pushes all the fault to one guy we are a team."

He lost the car???.. only after he moved across into Mark!

Horner also talked about Mark being in Fuel save mode.. as an explanation for the 1kg extra fuelled Vettel catching him... Heres a question- is this a setting chosen by the driver when instructed by the team?.. or can they still remap settings from the pitwall remotely?

I like Eddie, he offers a valuable insight into team incidents but is he reading a bit too much into this one?

ioan
30th May 2010, 23:28
I know its being discussed on the donkey of the race thread but I feel the incident deserves a more in depth look.

Because this wasn't dissected enough in 2 or 3 other threads?

And no there is no pit to car control anymore, since quite a few years.

Zico
30th May 2010, 23:36
Fair enough, can the mods please simply add my post to the other thread?

Valve Bounce
31st May 2010, 00:26
Because this wasn't dissected enough in 2 or 3 other threads?

And no there is no pit to car control anymore, since quite a few years.

This is not exactly correct, because the order was given from McLaren for their drivers to go into fuel saving mode.

It now transpires that Mark had gone into fuel saving mode on the lap of the collision. I find this rather strange because after Mark pitted, he was able to lap at the same pace as the two McLarens even with his damaged sidepod, and then he put in some sizzling laps towards the end of the race.

So the question I ask is whether Mark had been ordered to go into fuel saving mode so that Vettel can pass?

Also, for those who claimed that Mark had forced Vettel onto the white line, the video in the OP clearly shows that Vettel drove onto the white line when he tried to pass Mark but he was about 1 metre off the white line when he steered into the side of Mark's car.

Lewis Hamiltons remarks in that link is also very interesting because Vettel tried the same stunt on Hamilton earlier when Lewis tried to pass him.

Ari
31st May 2010, 02:24
This is not exactly correct, because the order was given from McLaren for their drivers to go into fuel saving mode.

It now transpires that Mark had gone into fuel saving mode on the lap of the collision. I find this rather strange because after Mark pitted, he was able to lap at the same pace as the two McLarens even with his damaged sidepod, and then he put in some sizzling laps towards the end of the race.

So the question I ask is whether Mark had been ordered to go into fuel saving mode so that Vettel can pass?

Also, for those who claimed that Mark had forced Vettel onto the white line, the video in the OP clearly shows that Vettel drove onto the white line when he tried to pass Mark but he was about 1 metre off the white line when he steered into the side of Mark's car.

Lewis Hamiltons remarks in that link is also very interesting because Vettel tried the same stunt on Hamilton earlier when Lewis tried to pass him.

Lewis said... and I quote "Vettel took Mark out". Now forget all your 'footage'.... no one had a better view than Lewis. Would love to see his incar.

And FWIW the team said that Vettel HAD to pass Webber then as Hamilton was all over Vettel and Vettel was not far away from being overtaken. So, they put Webber into fuel save so they can get Vettel past him. I wonder if they were even going to bother to tell Webber to turn off fuel save after the wonderkid passed?

So we have discovered two things.

1. Vettel is #1 boy at Red Bull and it was absolute that Hamilton not pass him, Webber not so absolute.... he can fend for himself.

2. VETTEL CAN ONLY PASS WEBBER WHEN THE TEAM PUTS WEBBER ON FUEL SAVE.

Valve Bounce
31st May 2010, 03:48
Here's how Red Bull's Motorsport advisor Helmut Marko justified Vettel's turning into Webber: "Asked for his views on the accident, Marko reckons that Vettel was in the right to turn across the track, even with Webber there, since the German had got his nose ahead.

"He [Vettel] was already ahead, at least two metres ahead, and there was a corner to the left side coming, so he had to go for the line," he said. "He cannot brake on the dirt because for sure he knows what happens."

So, according to Helmut Marko, once a car is two metres ahead of another car, he is entitled to turn into him. Well, that clears everything up, doesn't it? Webber was definitely at fault. :rolleyes:

UltimateDanGTR
31st May 2010, 09:10
Here's how Red Bull's Motorsport advisor Helmut Marko justified Vettel's turning into Webber: "Asked for his views on the accident, Marko reckons that Vettel was in the right to turn across the track, even with Webber there, since the German had got his nose ahead.

"He [Vettel] was already ahead, at least two metres ahead, and there was a corner to the left side coming, so he had to go for the line," he said. "He cannot brake on the dirt because for sure he knows what happens."

So, according to Helmut Marko, once a car is two metres ahead of another car, he is entitled to turn into him. Well, that clears everything up, doesn't it? Webber was definitely at fault. :rolleyes:

i feel sorry for webber in all this. he is being vindicated and blamed for the whole situation where he knows he wasn't at fault.

Valve Bounce
31st May 2010, 10:17
i feel sorry for webber in all this. he is being vindicated and blamed for the whole situation where he knows he wasn't at fault.

I'm sorry, but you really have to make up your mind about this; is he being vindicated or blamed?

N. Jones
31st May 2010, 12:31
I'm sorry, but you really have to make up your mind about this; is he being vindicated or blamed?

Yeah, the word isn't vindicated, :D , it's vilified. :D

UltimateDanGTR
31st May 2010, 12:35

whichever way you want to look at it.

should say 'or' instead of 'and'. my mistake.

steveaki13
31st May 2010, 17:28
When Eddie Jordan gives an opinion on certain subjects I struggle to follow his line of thinking and after he's finished I end up feeling I would have be better off asking the Cat. :cat: :laugh: