PDA

View Full Version : McLarens underweight?

Powered by Cosworth
30th May 2010, 15:26
That's what certain people seem to think, due to the teams slightly lackluster celebrations and the extreme attempts to pick up rubber all the way into the pitlane.

Andrewmcm
30th May 2010, 15:30
I'd be more concerned by the wear on Jenson's plank - that car was rubbing quite severely at Turn 8 for the entire race.

It was a strange atmosphere in the drivers' press conference, no doubt about it.

AndyL
30th May 2010, 15:31
Lewis's subdued demeanor did seem a bit odd, that would certainly explain it. But surely Jenson will have mentioned to the team that the car needs to be up to the weight limit even when all the fuel has been taken out?

And they had enough gap to save a lot more fuel if they needed too.

christophulus
30th May 2010, 15:33
And Webber's missing a few parts of his car too. Schumacher going to win his first race then? :p

UltimateDanGTR
Lewis didnt seem too excited after winning. strange, let's wait and see. and hope not.

Dave B
I think there was a slight air of disbelief that Red Bull handed them the victory, plus some confusion over Jenson's unique way of saving fuel by racing his team mate!

Daniel
30th May 2010, 15:34
I'd be more concerned by the wear on Jenson's plank - that car was rubbing quite severely at Turn 8 for the entire race.

It was a strange atmosphere in the drivers' press conference, no doubt about it.
I would have said Lewis was going to have more of an issue with that?

markabilly
30th May 2010, 15:36
yeah, Luewis gets passed by the lapdog, naughty naughty....Hamilton did not like that at all......no matter his forced smile

the screaming about saving fuel was to get button to back off...that is all...

wedge
30th May 2010, 15:46
It's the "save fuel" thing.

Notice how just before the podium when Jenson asked Lewis this and Lewis turned his back on the camera and muffled his response.

Jenson's performance at the press conference was slick horrible to watch, but that's the price you pay for driving for McLaren.

truefan72
30th May 2010, 15:47

Notice how just before the podium when Jenson asked Lewis this and Lewis turned his back on the camera and muffled his response.

Jenson's performance at the press conference was slick horrible to watch, but that's the price you pay for driving for McLaren.

I too think it was a subtle way of Whitemash to tell button to back off and bring home the 1-2

Dave B
30th May 2010, 15:53

Indeed. We all know that "save fuel" is code for "don't race each other".

Fuel being "critical" must be team talk for "no really, seriously, don't race each other again". :p

markabilly
30th May 2010, 15:58
save fuel....one would think that should be obvious code...of course there was the time that clark ran out at monza in 1967....before the time of re-fueling---

Dave B
30th May 2010, 16:08
Lewis has just told the BBC that his muted celebrations were down to "mixed emotions" and the "confusion at the end".

Daniel
30th May 2010, 16:10
Lewis has just told the BBC that his muted celebrations were down to "mixed emotions" and the "confusion at the end".
I certainly think you'd look like a bit of an idiot to celebrate a win like that which was clearly only theirs because of Webber and Vettel's silliness.

Dave B
30th May 2010, 16:11
Yup. A win's a win, but certainly McLaren had this handed to them on a plate.

truefan72
30th May 2010, 16:28
I certainly think you'd look like a bit of an idiot to celebrate a win like that which was clearly only theirs because of Webber and Vettel's silliness.

agreed

but if it was MSC back in the day he would have leaped up in the air pumping fists and acting like he just performed the drive of his race. ;)

But i certainly understand the slightly muted celebration. To em it was more of Hamilton expressing relief at getting the win and putting some f the gremlins behind him. It was a tough race and he surely thought after the pitstop that he was going to be at best 2nd in the race.

ioan
30th May 2010, 16:42
Lewis's subdued demeanor did seem a bit odd, that would certainly explain it. But surely Jenson will have mentioned to the team that the car needs to be up to the weight limit even when all the fuel has been taken out?

And they had enough gap to save a lot more fuel if they needed too.

You're right saving fuel wouldn't have changed anything, the car has to met a minimum weight with driver and without fuel.

rohanweb
30th May 2010, 17:45
i agree with many here , still while Lewis was seen coasting Jenson thought he could sneak past him and lewis immedietly reacted with ;no i am having none of it and pulled away from jenson, that is something stamp authority from Lewis.. despite foolish shunt from desperate vettel it was good race.. nice to see mclaren 1 2 after so long time .lol... however mclaren Vs redbull gap is definitely closed down to 1/10th of a second, mclaren revival towards championship, sings are there :-)

airshifter
30th May 2010, 18:57
They were telling Lewis to save fuel laps before Button made his move, so I'm not buying that the team did it to keep them from racing. I think Jenson simple thought he could catch Lewis off guard and went for it. Lewis wasn't having it and both drivers knew it could hurt the fuel situation or worse, end up similar to the Red Bulls.

Zico
30th May 2010, 22:39
They were telling Lewis to save fuel laps before Button made his move, so I'm not buying that the team did it to keep them from racing. I think Jenson simple thought he could catch Lewis off guard and went for it. Lewis wasn't having it and both drivers knew it could hurt the fuel situation or worse, end up similar to the Red Bulls.

Thats exactly the way I saw it too.. I believe there may well have been some apprehension regarding their post race weights due to them racing each other when they should have been saving fuel.

truefan72
30th May 2010, 22:53

ok that put things in perspective a bit and I can fully understand the somewhat downplayed celebrations.

Daika
30th May 2010, 23:13
Could it be that "save the fuell" talk is coded language by Mclaren to say do not overtake? with that in mind Hamilton was caught of guard by his teammate?

Zico
30th May 2010, 23:34
Could it be that "save the fuell" talk is coded language by Mclaren to say do not overtake? with that in mind Hamilton was caught of guard by his teammate?

Its possible I suppose. Were they equally fuelled? I only heard that instruction on Hamiltons radio but that doesn't mean the same instruction wasn't relayed to Jenson... however when you consider the fact that the drivers are nearly always asked to pick up rubber to add every possible single gram in debris from the dirty parts of the track, post race legal weight may well be a fairly believable reason for the instruction.

ioan
30th May 2010, 23:35
...however when you consider the fact that the drivers are nearly always asked to pick up rubber to add every possible single gram in debris from the dirty parts of the track, post race legal weight may well be a fairly believable reason for the instruction.

No it can't be the reason, because the car is weighed without fuel.

Zico
30th May 2010, 23:44
No it can't be the reason, because the car is weighed without fuel.

You are right of course.. silly me.

I wonder how accurately they can predict fuel usage, when all factors are not possible to be taken into account fully.. slipstreaming, head/tail winds. Red Bull also used this 'excuse'? for Mark being in Fuel save mode.

Mia 01
4th June 2010, 22:25
Lewis cheats as he always do.

Jenson dont know how to cheat.

Daniel
5th June 2010, 08:32
Lewis cheats as he always do.

Jenson dont know how to cheat.
Have you ever noticed that no one replies to your wildly speculative and inaccurate posts?

truefan72
5th June 2010, 09:29
Have you ever noticed that no one replies to your wildly speculative and inaccurate posts?

well said and if you go to the F1 official site and watch the video for 2010 turkey, it will explain quite nicely why LH was sorta upset at the end of the race. It provides radio from and to his car that I had not heard before which puts things very well in perspective.
http://www.formula1.com/video/

I guess Mia 01 would rather hold on to his misguided notions than deal with reality.

Daniel
5th June 2010, 11:02
well said and if you go to the F1 official site and watch the video for 2010 turkey, it will explain quite nicely why LH was sorta upset at the end of the race. It provides radio from and to his car that I had not heard before which puts things very well in perspective.

I guess Mia 01 would rather hold on to his misguided notions than deal with reality.
Why spoil a conspiracy theory with plausable explanations and facts? :)

markabilly
5th June 2010, 11:45
In the fussing over Indy, and the lack of gas in Hunter reay's car appearing to cause a massive crash, it was said that at the end of an F1 race, all cars must have 1.5 gallons of fuel left in their tanks (not sure if true, or some reporter running off at the mouth)

my understanding is that the tanks are then drained and the cars weighed

In the days of tire wars, the reason for the pick up, was allegedly due to the desire of tire manufacturers to get samples of the opposition's tire material

so now I guess it must be to add weight, or so I guess---but I doubt this material adds much weight at all....maybe a pound or two?

airshifter
6th June 2010, 01:30

I hadn't seen that, but it confirmed the suspicions I posted on this and other threads. Before the pass attempt they (Speed reporters) had said Lewis was told to conserve gas during the break, which ended at the start of lap 45. After the pass attempt they aired the radio transmission to Jenson, which stated he needed to save more fuel, leading me to think he had already been told to conserve fuel.

In either case that video shows that either the team was attempting to screw Lewis over (at least part of the team) or that Jenson wasn't being a team player. It would be interesting to know which it is, but in either case it should show a rift between either the drivers, or their respective supporting teams.

SGWilko
6th June 2010, 08:29
I hadn't seen that, but it confirmed the suspicions I posted on this and other threads. Before the pass attempt they (Speed reporters) had said Lewis was told to conserve gas during the break, which ended at the start of lap 45. After the pass attempt they aired the radio transmission to Jenson, which stated he needed to save more fuel, leading me to think he had already been told to conserve fuel.

In either case that video shows that either the team was attempting to screw Lewis over (at least part of the team) or that Jenson wasn't being a team player. It would be interesting to know which it is, but in either case it should show a rift between either the drivers, or their respective supporting teams.

Maybe, but both drivers still fought fair, and Lewis ultimately stamped his authority over Jenson. At the end of the day, it could just be that JB's smooth driving style is faster when 'going slow' than Lewis'. But I don't see any great rift or conspiracy blowing up.

turismo6
6th June 2010, 08:32
In the days of tire wars, the reason for the pick up, was allegedly due to the desire of tire manufacturers to get samples of the opposition's tire material

I think the pickup was to put weight back onto the tires that have been worn off during the race*

*Statement based on no real facts.

airshifter
7th June 2010, 00:24
Maybe, but both drivers still fought fair, and Lewis ultimately stamped his authority over Jenson. At the end of the day, it could just be that JB's smooth driving style is faster when 'going slow' than Lewis'. But I don't see any great rift or conspiracy blowing up.

I agree it was a clean battle, but I'm sure after being assured on the radio that Jenson wasn't going to attempt a pass, Lewis was probably less than happy when he did.

The closure rate leads me to think that Jenson was hoping to take advantage of the situation, regardless of any team involvement. After all had Jenson been that much faster at any other time in the race the move should have come much earlier.

SGWilko
7th June 2010, 17:03
I agree it was a clean battle, but I'm sure after being assured on the radio that Jenson wasn't going to attempt a pass, Lewis was probably less than happy when he did.

The closure rate leads me to think that Jenson was hoping to take advantage of the situation, regardless of any team involvement. After all had Jenson been that much faster at any other time in the race the move should have come much earlier.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84215

And proof of the need to slow Hamilton down came after the race, when McLaren discovered that he had less than one lap's worth left in his car - while Button had just a little more.

Nearly, but not quite!