PDA

View Full Version : driver of the race

UltimateDanGTR
30th May 2010, 15:15
Lewis and Jenson in contention for this one-really hounded the red bulls, and in the end got a bit lucky with the already infamous vettel vs webber incident. and some great racing for the lead in between the two-well done them, true champions.

special mention to the sauber boys: they both finished the race and kobi got a point! rejoice.

kubica was quiet but solid as well.

anyone else to add?

ojciec dyrektor
30th May 2010, 15:22
Petrov for strong GP and fastest lap. :)

AndyL
30th May 2010, 15:25
Alonso made some reasonable progress from his bad qualifying, and Schumacher was best of the rest behind the Red Bulls and McLarens.
But yeah, you'd have to give it to the two McLaren drivers really.

wedge
30th May 2010, 15:35
Lewis & Jenson for showing RBR drivers how to race side by side.

Lewis was giving it everything during the first stint but Jenson probably just deserves it for at least giving some answer to his critics that he can't race Schumi. Kudos for making the move stick round the outside.

markabilly
30th May 2010, 15:39
I give a slight nod to Jensen for showing how to pass when he passed Schuie in the corner where Chopper and Seb could not.
And passing hamilton who bumped Button when he returned the favor...great racing by both....

too bad Mac spoiled the fun by hollering about save fuel....

gm99
30th May 2010, 15:43
Alonso made some reasonable progress from his bad qualifying...

Of the four places Alonso gained, two were through pit-stops, one was from Vettel's retirement and only one was actually gained on track, through a desperate overtaking maneuver on Petrov which destroyed the Russian's race. Alonso today was IMO one of the least impressive drivers out there.

As for driver of the day, I'd go for a tie between Hamilton and Button, who both made nice passes and gave us an entertaining, but fair battle for the win.

Honorable mention to Kobayashi, well deserved points finish!

Ent
30th May 2010, 15:43
I think Petrov really showed an improvement today, but great racing by the McLaren drivers. A shame about Vettel's stuff-up, otherwise all 4 top runners would have deserved a thumbs up.

i_max2k2
30th May 2010, 15:48
Top class racing from Mclaren, and showing how team mates can race amongst each other without bumping. Schumi held his way, and showed he can be faster than Nico comfortably in a car when Nico has no excuse. Really poor race by Alonso, as mentioned ruining Petrov's race.

truefan72
30th May 2010, 15:49
Of the four places Alonso gained, two were through pit-stops, one was from Vettel's retirement and only one was actually gained on track, through a desperate overtaking maneuver on Petrov which destroyed the Russian's race. Alonso today was IMO one of the least impressive drivers out there.

As for driver of the day, I'd go for a tie between Hamilton and Button, who both made nice passes and gave us an entertaining, but fair battle for the win.

yep. and I would add petrov for a strong drive as well

F1boat
30th May 2010, 16:12
Lewis, Jenson, Michael in that order.

ioan
30th May 2010, 16:51

100% agreed.

harsha
30th May 2010, 16:55
Lewis , Jensen and Michael

havk
30th May 2010, 17:17
1st Hamilton, 2nd Button, 3rd Schumacher

rohanweb
30th May 2010, 17:32
lewis hamilton for that cool headed drive.. shame mclaren mechanics wasted his time, otherwise he could have pushed webber hard to keep his place, also showing bunsen that He is haing none of that move around the outside or inside..

airshifter
30th May 2010, 18:53

Other than adding mention to the "best of the rest" field, that's a great post that I'll back up as well.

UltimateDanGTR
30th May 2010, 18:59

:up: my sentiments exactly.

I told you lot alonso would get lucky :)

Dzeidzei
30th May 2010, 20:49
:up: my sentiments exactly.

I told you lot alonso would get lucky :)

Lucky how? He and Ferrari have ZERO chance of winning anything this year.

Maybe I missed something...

UltimateDanGTR
30th May 2010, 21:06
Lucky how? He and Ferrari have ZERO chance of winning anything this year.

Maybe I missed something...

lucky place gained by vettel's retirement. lucky in my view not to get a puncture when he and petrov touched near the end.

he and his car didnt set the world alight today, Im not saying he had amazing luck, but a bit of good luck through the above and IMO he could have easily walked away from today with 0 points.

I'm not complaining about his luck by the way, mearly observing.

steveaki13
30th May 2010, 21:11
Lewis, Jenson, Michael and Kobayashi

Hoorah a point for Sauber.

Tazio
30th May 2010, 21:12
I give it to "The Boss" and Button. Honorable mention to Kubica, and Mike!

Sonic
30th May 2010, 21:12
Kobayashi! Boo Rah! Wicked cool.

Dzeidzei
30th May 2010, 21:14
lucky place gained by vettel's retirement. lucky in my view not to get a puncture when he and petrov touched near the end.

he and his car didnt set the world alight today, Im not saying he had amazing luck, but a bit of good luck through the above and IMO he could have easily walked away from today with 0 points.

I'm not complaining about his luck by the way, mearly observing.

Okay. Its still irrelevant, as they´ll win zip anymore.

Ferrari has more or less gone back to the pre-Schumi-Todt-Brawn era. Slow, makes stupid mistakes and isnt very interesting.FA cant be blamed for that as it begun right after 2008. But hes not doing anything to reverse things either.

ioan
30th May 2010, 21:24

Ferrari has more or less gone back to the pre-Schumi-Todt-Brawn era. Slow, makes stupid mistakes and isnt very interesting.FA cant be blamed for that as it begun right after 2008. But hes not doing anything to reverse things either.

That's the all Italian leadership result.

Big Ben
30th May 2010, 23:53
That's the all Italian leadership result.

how about the damned black and jews?

Ari
31st May 2010, 02:27
Webber. Gets hammered by the Schu 2 and can still podium.

It's funny that the wonderkid in the wondercar can still only overtake when the team puts Webber on fuel save. Even then he can't make it stick! :p

Jag_Warrior
31st May 2010, 02:37
Lewis, Jenson, Michael and Kobayashi

Yeah, that reflects my vote as well.

PSfan
31st May 2010, 02:44
I wanna give driver of the race to both Webber and Vettel, they actually did something on track to get Legard excited enough where he actually woke me up!!! (I blame him for actually putting me to sleep though) but hopefully he can show some emotion during a race more often from here on out... :cheese:

Triumph
31st May 2010, 04:56
Lewis and Jenson.

:-)

Ranger
31st May 2010, 05:09
I wanna give driver of the race to both Webber and Vettel, they actually did something on track to get Legard excited enough where he actually woke me up!!! (I blame him for actually putting me to sleep though) but hopefully he can show some emotion during a race more often from here on out... :cheese:

Actually I agree with that. :D

UltimateDanGTR
31st May 2010, 09:07

agreed with all of that actually. (his luck was luck, but pretty irrelevant)

Ferrari are not the same as a few years ago. their development pace is much slower than Mclaren and Red Bull clearly, so unless they are planning a massive all in one super upgrade soon they could fall away. which is surprising, considering they had the second best car at the start of the year.

jens
31st May 2010, 11:28
I should mention that this race was notable due to quite close team-mate battles. I mean whenever camera showed drivers, on most occasions team-mates could be seen on the same picture: RBR, McLaren, Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari, Lotus, in the end also Sauber. STR could have been too if Buemi hadn't suffered a puncture.

steveaki13
31st May 2010, 17:38

Nah

He will be told by the Beeb to calm down a bit and not become a hyper babbling idiot. This is the BBC after all. :D

jens
31st May 2010, 18:56
Lewis, Jenson, Michael in that order.

Hamilton's so far quite underwhelming season has finally got going as it was only a matter of time he won his first race of the season. He was a bit lucky to win that race, but it's simply a payback to the unluck he had been suffering previously this season. Looking at McLaren's development pace Hamilton is really emerging as one of the biggest title favourites for 2010.

It was also nice to see Button keeping nicely the pace of the leaders and showing in the battle with Lewis that he isn't simply a pushover, an image he has created to many people throughout years.

Schumacher has come quite good since Barcelona. Haven't seen such a competitive 41-y-o driver... since Mario Andretti, who took pole for Ferrari at Monza at the age of 42. But Rosberg is keeping him honest in the mirrors and was this time more competitive in a long-wheelbase car than at Barcelona.

Petrov for strong GP and fastest lap. :)

Obviously not the driver of the race due to getting beaten by Kubica, but still an impressive performance. Sad to see that he had to lose everything in such an unfortunate way with just a few laps to go. The camera angle was too bad to tell, how much room had Alonso left him.

UltimateDanGTR
31st May 2010, 19:20
Hamilton's so far quite underwhelming season

I would hardly call Lewis's season underwhelming.

Bahrain he drove consistently and for a good haul of points where ferrari and red bull had the better cars.
Australia he and the team made the wrong call in quali, but he was impressive in going up the field well. he stormed through in malaysia, too. oh, and china, despite the vettel altercation.
In spain he did very well to split the red bulls before something out of his control ended his race. and in monaco he mostly drove with his brain knowing he couldnt do much to get past anyone. (although he did let his passion and emotion get to him on the pit radio)

considering some of the poor quali situations at the start of the year, he has been very consistent and had some great drives. however, when he knew he couldn't win he used his head more. like alonso, consistency has kept him in the game. and when he got his chance to win, he took it.

jens
31st May 2010, 19:40
I would hardly call Lewis's season underwhelming.

Sorry, I expressed myself poorly. He has of course driven well and is one of the drivers of the season so far. But results-wise he hasn't got the final positions and points a driver of his caliber expects or has been used to. I would hardly call a P7 in the WDC standings (in which position he was before Turkey) as anything more than disappointing.

i_max2k2
31st May 2010, 19:53
Sorry, I expressed myself poorly. He has of course driven well and is one of the drivers of the season so far. But results-wise he hasn't got the final positions and points a driver of his caliber expects or has been used to. I would hardly call a P7 in the WDC standings (in which position he was before Turkey) as anything more than disappointing.

And now he is P3, thats what a race win can do, with the current point scoring system, if even Mercedes starts winning races say from the next race (unrealistic I know), even they could challenge for WDC with some consistent winning, the top 7 have very realistic chance of winning the WDC, with some decent upgrades, since RBR has not really capitalized with their fast car, unlike how Brawn did last year. Its still a very open season if you consider there are 300 points for the winner, and a potential of 84 point deficit with the 2nd place, anything can happen.

Garry Walker
31st May 2010, 20:07
No driver really stood out.

UltimateDanGTR
31st May 2010, 21:21

In that sense up until turkey you are right, he had done the driving but hadn't got the results he really could and should have. but now he is really in a position where IMO he deserves to be. much of that is as i_max2k2 said, the new points system where one result (good or bad) can change so much.

and actually I come to mention it, I am really liking the new points system, it seems to be working with the championship hunt and with the top 4 teams + kubica usually at the forefront, there is still something to scrap over.