PDA

View Full Version : Sunoco to become official fuel next year

MDS
27th May 2010, 21:58
In a move that helps bring some funding and credibility to the series Sunoco has come on board as the official fuel of the ICS and FIL. They will apparently team with APEX, which will continue to provide Ethonal for the series.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100527006211&newsLang=en

No idea if this means Sunoco is planning on leaving NASCAR, but they are locked into a 10-year deal with NASCAR until 2013, and the IRL deal will last from 2011 to 2014, and include some in-store promotion of the ICS, I'm sure NASCAR can't be happy about that.

Mark in Oshawa
27th May 2010, 22:02
This is good news...and it proves Bernard is making things happen on the business side...

ykiki
28th May 2010, 00:25
Since we're heading down this road, I'd love to see a Donohue-esque blue Sunoco indycar.

nigelred5
28th May 2010, 21:53
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID31218/images/Penske_Sunoco_Delta_Wing_Test_Platform_-_2-11-2010.jpg

Mark in Oshawa
28th May 2010, 22:59
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID31218/images/Penske_Sunoco_Delta_Wing_Test_Platform_-_2-11-2010.jpg

Sure...bring THAT picture out to rile the rileable...

anthonyvop
29th May 2010, 03:52
In a move that helps bring some funding and credibility to the series Sunoco has come on board as the official fuel of the ICS and FIL. They will apparently team with APEX, which will continue to provide Ethonal for the series.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100527006211&newsLang=en

No idea if this means Sunoco is planning on leaving NASCAR, but they are locked into a 10-year deal with NASCAR until 2013, and the IRL deal will last from 2011 to 2014, and include some in-store promotion of the ICS, I'm sure NASCAR can't be happy about that.

Sunoco is expanding their racing sponsorship. Not only NASCAR and the IRL but.

Here is there list.

CIRCLE TRACK RACING
American Late Model Series
ARCA RE/MAX Series
Battle of the Blue Grass Series
IMCA
Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series
Mid Atlantic Championship Series
Midwest Late Model Racing Series - (MLRA)
NASCAR
Southern All Stars Racing
United Auto Racing Association (UARA)
USAR/Hooters Pro Cup Series
WISSOTA Series

ROAD RACING
American V8 Stock Car Road Racing Series
Formula SAE/HEV Challenge
Grand-Am
Miata Cup Championship
Porsche Club of North America
Speed World Challenge
Sports Car Club of America
US FF2000 Championship Series

OFF-ROAD RACING
WSORR
SCORE

DRAG RACING
National Hot Rod Association (NHRA)
Super Chevy Shows

KARTS
World Karting Association

EUROPEAN SERIES
British F3 Championship
British GT Championship
British Rally Championship
Evo Challenge, U.K.
Goodwood Revival
Goodwood Festival of Speed
SPEED Sports Prototype Series
Radical U.K. Cup
Radical Club Cup
Mini Challenge
The Masters Series
BRSCC F3 Championship
BRITCAR
Group C GTP Racing
GT Cup
HSCC
Time Attack

MOTORCYCLE RACING
Competition Riders of America (CRA)
AMA Pro Racing

nigelred5
30th May 2010, 14:04
I've run an untold number of gallons of Sunoco Race fuel through vehicles ans boats through the years. I've got 10 gallons of 104 octane in the garage right now. Sunoco has been the local fuel of choice my entire life. I couldn't begin to name all of the people if known over the hears that have worked for or sold Sunoco products. I presume this is a marketing push associated with a move to ethanol blends in many forms of racing.

nigelred5
30th May 2010, 16:23
Sure...bring THAT picture out to rile the rileable...

First hit on Sunoco+Indycar :)

I cannot fathom an entire field of them making it through the hairpin at Long Beach. Hell, I can't imagine ONE of them making it through.

MDS
30th May 2010, 22:31
I know the deal is publicly triggered to start next year, but it appears to be effective as of the 500. Cars all had Sunoco stickers inside their wings, officials had Sunoco on their backs and Sunoco signage was around the track, like the pit-lane monitors.

Yay!

call_me_andrew
31st May 2010, 03:38
I noticed the timing cones on pit road had Sunoco stickers on them today. I wasn't sure what that meant until now.

NickFalzone
31st May 2010, 06:31
I find it difficult to call this deal anything but good news for the series. Is Sunoco working with other racing series? Sure. But if they even do a quarter of the advertising for the IRL that they do for NASCAR, it will be a significant free- marketing gain for the series.

nigelred5
2nd June 2010, 02:25
I just wish the trend with Sunoco was to open more stores around here, not close them. They took over a lot of Mobil Locations but they all seem to have closed down, not changed brands when sunoco took over.

I miss those old Dial a Grade pumps with the 96 and 102 Octane. My Chevelle LOVED the 96.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd June 2010, 04:40
Sunoco here in Canada is selling off their operation to Petro Canada....so alas, no more Sunoco, which I don't like.